PDA

View Full Version : TIW vs. DDP?

DisneyDawgette
04-09-2013, 09:32 PM
So, we're buying our first AP's at the end of the month! After paying for three trips last year (once DBF realized it was easily the coolest place in the world) and being overly antsy to go back, there was no other option! Excited might be an understatement! :D

That being said, we have a trip planned for Christmas this year and we were considering DDP vs. TIW. I'm pretty familiar with DDP, but not so much with TIW.

I was wondering what some of the major differences are and what most of you opt for! It's just the two of us!

Thanks! :)

TinkerbellT421
04-09-2013, 09:37 PM
20% off all food (apps, entree, desert) INCLUDING alcohol :marg::beer: huge plus.

Accepted at a good majority of places.

Good for 13 months and in some instances 14 depending on when you purchase it. 20% off all food purchases can be a pretty big or decent savings over the course of three week long trips :mickey:

Flexibility in what you are ordering.

Saves money for they way we tip. It's an automatic 18% gratuity. We are usually 20% tippers, but when the check comes with the math already there we just pay it. In some cases we will still add the extra 2% but rare when using the TiW card.

Quadstriker
04-10-2013, 02:11 AM
Having used both the DDP and TIW in the last year, I would never again use the DDP.

Strmchsr
04-10-2013, 07:42 AM
:ditto: TIW wins hands down. Not even close.

The TiW card can also get you into special events held every month or two if you're lucky enough to be down there when it's happening. They're extra to buy tickets, but the event is usually worth it.

DisneyDawgette
04-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Wow, that's pretty definitive! I think TIW it is! :)

Thanks!

faline
04-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I don't think you'll regret getting, and using, the Tables in Wonderland card!!

VWL Mom
04-10-2013, 10:52 AM
If you are actually there for Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day just be aware those dates are blacked out. Even still, I agree that TIW is the way to go.

PlutoPlanet
04-10-2013, 12:04 PM
We have tried both and prefer TIW. With DDP we get 1 dessert for everyone, which we don't need or want. With TIW we pay for and eat only what we really want. We can easily get a ice cream or treat after dinner.

SBETigg
04-10-2013, 12:14 PM
I've never had TiW and I don't usually go with the DDP, but curious-- can you use them together? Say you're on the DDP but you add an appetizer or alcoholic drinks. Can you then apply TiW to your balance, or does it have to be either/or?

SurferStitch
04-10-2013, 12:28 PM
We love TIW. Now, it's only good at TS restaurants, with some exceptions:

If there isn't a TS location at a resort or park (i.e. Values), it works at the food court or CS location. Also, We've used it at Flame Tree BBQ and Pizzafari at AK.

And, one thing we love.... When we stop in the pub in England to have a beer, it's good there, too! It's because the pub is part of the restaurant, so 20% savings on beer!!

The card isn't accepted at Teppan Edo or La Hacienda (or whatever the new Mexican restaurant is).

An automatic 18% gratuity is included in your meals/purchases, too. We usually tip 20-25% for good service, so really, this is a cost savings for us as well. The auto gratuity is based on the non-discounted total, so your server is getting a true full gratuity. (We still leave extra when we feel it's appropriate... especially at our favorite restaurants.)

SurferStitch
04-10-2013, 12:29 PM
I've never had TiW and I don't usually go with the DDP, but curious-- can you use them together? Say you're on the DDP but you add an appetizer or alcoholic drinks. Can you then apply TiW to your balance, or does it have to be either/or?

They can be combined. We've never done that, but I think I remember people saying they had to have the bill split up into two different checks or something like that... hopefully someone will chime in and help you out.

VWL Mom
04-10-2013, 12:35 PM

They can be combined. We've never done that, but I think I remember people saying they had to have the bill split up into two different checks or something like that... hopefully someone will chime in and help you out.

Surfer stich is correct, they can be used together. You just let the server know that you have both when you start and they will give you a DDP check and a TIW check. The TIW check will include gratuity but the DDP check will not and has to tipped accordingly.

Fangorn
04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
The card isn't accepted at Teppan Edo or La Hacienda (or whatever the new Mexican restaurant is).

It also is not accepted at Yak and Yeti. They will give you 10% off with your AP though.

Steve

DisneyDawgette
04-10-2013, 11:03 PM
So, in WS, if we wanted to stop for a beer or something at one of the carts, we could not use TIW? I didn't know that this was a stipulation... There are a few CS meals and snacks that are staples for us! :/

TinkerbellT421
04-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Most carts do not accept TiW, DVC or AP discounts. So, no you cannot use it at the carts. However you can use it inside the restaurants like Rose & crown for example to go in and get a beer.

yjgirl32
04-11-2013, 09:41 AM
So can anyone buy the TIW card? If so how much is it?

faline
04-11-2013, 10:54 AM
So can anyone buy the TIW card? If so how much is it?

It's available to annual passholders and Florida residents.

TinkerbellT421
04-11-2013, 05:14 PM
It's available to annual passholders and Florida residents.

And dvc members.

TinkerbellT421
04-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Per an older thread Mel posted I think in December, here are the current prices :

Increase in Wonderland

12/2/12 Price Increases have been announced for the Tables in Wonderland discounted dining program. Prices have increased $25 per annual membership yielding a price of $100 for Passholders, $100 for Disney Vacation Club Members, and $125 for Florida Residents.

yjgirl32
04-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Ok thank you.

jonahbear2006
04-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Having used both the DDP and TIW in the last year, I would never again use the DDP.

I agree wholeheartedly. I worked up a spreadsheet on both and found TIW was the cheapest way to dine in WDW so we bought it. We ate out everyday w the kids and We couldnt have done that with our family of 7 for weeks at a time on ddp. TOO expensive! I could've put a downpayment on a car instead. One really nice thing about TIW is that you can visit the value resorts and eat at the food courts for 2 of your meals and since there is no Tip to pay, you are saving a clean 20%. How nice. . esp at AOA!!!

dmallan
04-14-2013, 03:45 PM
You can also use TiW at any of the lounges. We used it at Top of the World and Martha's Vineyard.

clausjo
04-19-2013, 01:19 PM
OK, so I've heard that the break even point for an AP with the TIW card is $500. Is that if you spend $500 after the discount or before?

DisneyDINK
04-19-2013, 01:51 PM
OK, so I've heard that the break even point for an AP with the TIW card is $500. Is that if you spend $500 after the discount or before?

Before the discount, excluding tip. ($500.00 x 20% = $100.00, the cost of the card) If you routinely tip less than 18% the breakeven would be a bit higher too. (Not the case for me; Probably not for you either. I'm just sayin'.)

On a 5 day trip DW and I spent $534 at eilgible restaurants and we saved $110 using the TIW card. Each dining reciept will breakout the TIW savings and I'm tracking it in a spreadsheet. Keep in mind we are just 2 people and we usually ate breakfast in our room and we saved money on a short 5 day trip.

We still have 3 more trips coming up before the card expires, so for us it is (or rather will be) a fantastic value.

clausjo
04-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know!