PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom with 2YO...how much time, what all should we do?

lawgirl
04-07-2013, 08:21 PM
We haven't been to AK in a few years, and I've always loved it. This is the first time taking my 2.5 YO son, and I'm hoping to spend some time there, but then head back to AKL, nap, change, then head to Epcot around 4:30-5:00.

What all should we definitely do? I'm thinking head to the Safari first thing and at least get a FP if its really busy. About how long does the train take, and where exactly does it go to? Is it worth doing that?

Dinosaur is out of the question, as is Everest and Bug's Life. But I don't want to miss anything.

Flights of Wonder might be interesting for him.

AgentC
04-07-2013, 09:04 PM
My children have always enjoyed Animal Kingdom. They are 4 and 7 now but have been going since they were infants.

I think the Safari is a good choice. Mine have always enjoyed it. The walking trails are nice too and if you have a stroller could be a good place for him to nap.

The train goes to Rafiki's Planet Watch. The ride is not too long. They only allow a stroller on if it folds and once you get off there is a short walk to the building.
RPW has two main areas. Outisde there is a petting zoo. Inside is the Conservation station. There are exhibits on animal care and a few exhibits. When were went there were also some children's activites like coloring and characters. It is okay but for us I would not visit if I were pressed for time.

In Dinoland, there is Triceratops Twirl which is a Dumbo type ride.

My kids love The Boneyard playground. The main area has areas appropriate for both younger and older kids. There is also a bridge you cross that takes you to the dig areas. Kids can dig in a gravelly sand for fossils.

The Nemo and the Lion King show may or may not be good depending on your son. They are both dark and have loud noises if that is an issue for him.

And of course the character greetings are always fun. :)

Butters
04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
My DD was 2.5 in Dec she really enjoyed Bugs Life if you think he can handle it I wouldn't rule it out from the start.

My recommendation is start with the easy rides like safari or triceratops spin, and work your way up..

By the end of our trip anything she was tall enough to go on we took her and she pretty much loved it all.

Sylvia
04-08-2013, 07:05 PM
If your schedule permits, don't forget Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade - a lot of fun, and a great way to see some favorite characterics, plus hear some lively music and see some large colorful puppets.

If your son enjoys watching live animals, there are many opportunities to find them throughout AK. There are many walking trails around the Tree of Life that are fun to explore. For larger animals, there are are 2 opportunities. Asia has the Maharaja Jungle Trek, with Komodo dragons and tigers, among others. Africa has Pagnani Forest Exploration Trail, with gorillas, among others.

MrPeetrie
04-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Lawgirl, we took our DD to Animal Kingdom when she was only 17 months and again at 29 months. We took our DS there at 19 months and 31 months. In both cases, Animal Kingdom was their favorite park.

My DD loved the safari ride, seeing the animals. She enjoyed the train ride to Rafiki's Planet and petting the animals. She rode Triceratop Spin repeatedly, saying "up n down" over and over again. She saw Tough to Be a Bug and loved it. "Hopper. Hopper. Hopper." But her favorite attraction was Festival of the Lion King. I have video of how big her eyes got when Simba came out. She was fascinated.

My DS LOVED the boneyard. He brought some of his trucks and played there with his mom while my DD and I rode some bigger rides. He really liked the bird show, Flights of Wonder. He liked the safari ride, but mostly for the safari truck. But he enjoyed both walking trails. We didn't have time for Festival of the Lion King for him, but we've watched it on YouTube and he loves it.

He fell asleep during the parade so he missed it, but I videoed it for him. He loves it, as well. I think Animal Kingdom is perfect for little kids. Just watch the heat.

vamaggie
04-09-2013, 02:01 PM
My DD was 2.5 in Dec she really enjoyed Bugs Life if you think he can handle it I wouldn't rule it out from the start.

Our DD was 18 months when she first went to WDW. We did Bugs Life but she sat on my lap (eliminated some of the creepy stuff and gave her some security to enjoy the fun). Triceratops and the Bone Yard were also huge hits with her. Woluld definitely do the Safari first-animals were much more animated than the time we went later in the day.

lawgirl
04-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Great advice everyone! Sounds like we will be busy there!

DisneyDawgette
04-09-2013, 08:49 PM
This was my little sister's favorite park as a toddler! We couldn't hardly keep her out of DinoLand USA and she LOVED Kilimanjaro Safari! Don't downplay all of the down-time that comes with AK! Your kids won't be bored and you'll get to relax! :thumbsup: