PDA

View Full Version : Thinking FastPass+ Through a Bit

MrPeetrie
04-05-2013, 09:29 PM
My daughter and I were in a restaurant, playing a game: name the three rides you'd FastPass in each park. When I thought it through a bit, I noticed a serious flaw with the new system.

Look at Epcot. On what three rides would you utilize FastPass+? Most are going to say Soarin', Test Track, with the third one being somewhat murky. Maybe Mission: Space. But my point is: at the 60-day mark, Soarin' FastPasses will be gone very quickly. And for me, that's bad news. I won't wait in the standby line for Soarin' because it's the most boring line on all 45 square miles of Disney property. Moreover, we always spend the second half of the day in the World Showcase, which makes my FastPass window very small. So, if I sleep in on the 60-day mark of the day in which I THINK I will be in Epcot, I probably won't get a viable FastPass and therefore won't ride Soarin'.

In fact, except for the Magic Kingdom, the other three parks have attractions where the FastPasses will be gone before 8 a.m. Take Hollywood Studios, for example. Toy Story Midway Mania and Rock n Rollercoaster will go very quickly.

The more I think of this, the more I am becoming nervous about it. Imagine, two months from you vacation's arrival date, you feel pretty sure you're not going to ride some attractions because you didn't get a FastPass in time and you don't intend to wait that long. How is that going to be enjoyable. Currently, we all have the same chance. Many of us have plans mapped out for each park. Arrive early, grab such-and-such FastPass early, ride X, ride Y, eat, use FastPass. Grab another enroute. Etc. Now, if you're not sure of what park you're in at the 60-day mark or you were at work when you needed to be online, you will have to be satisfied riding Nemo, Ellen, and (gulp) Captain EO.

I hope I'm wrong about this. I hope it turns out to be the greatest implementation. But I have true reservations at the moment.

Kenny1113
04-05-2013, 09:40 PM
It's interesting you post this.( I know this has been debated greatly on here ).

But, I read the other day that 65% of people prefer vacations without schedules and iteneraries. Disney either hasn't seen these numbers or thinks they have enough of a market that would be happy with it.

CuteAsMinnie
04-05-2013, 10:25 PM
[email protected]

Everyone had the same concerns. Not many positive vibes yet.

I had FP+ questions I asked to CRO. Guest Relations couldn't answer, tech support couldn't answer, IPO couldn't answer and said Guest Relations is asking for emails expressing concerns.

Go figure.

MickeysBestPal
04-05-2013, 11:31 PM
I hope I'm wrong about this. I hope it turns out to be the greatest implementation. But I have true reservations at the moment.

Anyone who has experience with WDW and understands about how the parks and popular attractions work has serious concerns.

DizneyRox
04-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Anyone who has experience with WDW and understands about how the parks and popular attractions work has serious concerns.
Even those that have no clue, just a gut feeling about it...

MrPeetrie
04-06-2013, 07:43 AM
MickeysBestPal, I'm late to the party and just figuring this out now.

There are three attractions we never ride UNLESSS we FastPass them: Soarin', Peter Pan, and Toy Story Midway Mania. We have a three-year-old and a nine-year-old so long, boring queues are out for us.

If 60 days before my vacation - my wonderful, beautiful, saved-up-for-a-year-to-do-it-right Walt Disney World vacation - I attempt to get FastPass+ reservations for those three attractions and they're all distributed already, then two months out, I will KNOW there are three great attractions I am not going to ride this trip. That will ruin the anticipation (which many of us know is almost as fun as being there) and tarnish the experience.

I'm going to give Disney the benefit of the doubt here that they know what they're doing and this has all been thought through. But if it ends up playing out as I fear, we will re-think future trips.

Christine
04-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Having spoken with CMs at the passholder "trade in your AP for an RFID" odyssey headquarters, I have found a few glimmers of hope.
I go in there every time I'm in Epcot how. I want to ask different CMs (mostly mgmt) the same questions to see how similar or conflicting the answers are.
So far they are pretty consistent so I take that as the most reliable info I'm gonna get right now.

What I have heard that I like the sound of?
1- fast passes are going to be "real time". Meaning if they're surrendered, new passes become available. Example - you booked TSM at DHS. You decide to go to mk instead bc you hear of some awesome limited time magic happening over there (hahaha! Couldn't resist a jab!). When you get to mk, you want a FP for preferred viewing of Wishes (remember, the FPs will be for MORE than rides now).
You won't be able to get a mk FP Til you dump your DHS FPs.
Real time, say its 6:30 pm, a TSM FP becomes available. Now when in hour wildest dreams would you imagine that a TSM FP could be available at 6:30 pm? So that's kind of cool, the real time aspect.
I like the limit of 3.

That's my silver liming. I'm grabbing onto anything I can here regarding this nextgen magic plus gobbledygook

MickeysBestPal
04-06-2013, 08:15 AM
I like the limit of 3.

How about a limit of ONE?

With the DHS choices being:

TSM
RnRC
ToT
Indiana Jones Stunt
Beauty and the Beast LIVE
Disney Jr. on Stage
Animation Tour
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Great Movie Ride
Fantasmic!

Maleficent's Dad
04-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Here's something to consider as well, there have been numerous Rumors that of your 3 FP+'s daily, only one headliner will be available to guests (each day). The headliners, as emphasized during the trial periods, are the obvious - so you'd be able to FP Soarin' OR TestTrack, but not both.

So with the Rumored 3 FP+'s, and one headline attraction, things may change during WDW visits.

Of course I'm awaiting the official rollout before I hang up the old Disney shoes...

DizneyFreak2002
04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Having spoken with CMs at the passholder "trade in your AP for an RFID" odyssey headquarters, I have found a few glimmers of hope.
I go in there every time I'm in Epcot how. I want to ask different CMs (mostly mgmt) the same questions to see how similar or conflicting the answers are.
So far they are pretty consistent so I take that as the most reliable info I'm gonna get right now.

What I have heard that I like the sound of?
1- fast passes are going to be "real time". Meaning if they're surrendered, new passes become available. Example - you booked TSM at DHS. You decide to go to mk instead bc you hear of some awesome limited time magic happening over there (hahaha! Couldn't resist a jab!). When you get to mk, you want a FP for preferred viewing of Wishes (remember, the FPs will be for MORE than rides now).
You won't be able to get a mk FP Til you dump your DHS FPs.
Real time, say its 6:30 pm, a TSM FP becomes available. Now when in hour wildest dreams would you imagine that a TSM FP could be available at 6:30 pm? So that's kind of cool, the real time aspect.
I like the limit of 3.

That's my silver liming. I'm grabbing onto anything I can here regarding this nextgen magic plus gobbledygook

I still see that as a problem though... This is going to be like the ADR issues... People booking FP+ (ADRs) and not showing, thus taking a potential use away from another family..

Tom Jones and his family of 5, on the 60 day mark, book FP+ for TSMM, RNRC, and ToT... Sally Smith, later that same day, tries to book FP+ for TSMM, ToT, and Star Tours, but cannot because TSMM and ToT are completely booked so she is stuck getting FP+ for rides/show in which they are not needed...

The day of the FP+ use arrives, Tom Jones and family decide to go to Epcot instead because that booked their long desired dinner in Le Cellier... They now give up their DHS FP+ (providing they do not park hop)... That leaves Sally Smith and family out of those unused FP+... And standing in a 100 minute stand by line for TSMM...

We see this happen all the time with ADRs... How many people book an ADR and never show? Same thing is going to happen with FP+ and I guarantee will lead to so many complaints that the system will be overhauled within a year or two of going live...

disneydeb
04-06-2013, 03:29 PM
LOL! I guess I have a wait and see attitude...:blush:

Melanie
04-06-2013, 03:52 PM
Regardless of all the what you can and can't do, may or may not be able to do, it still seems like a lot of WORK. But again, we'll not know for sure until it all rolls out.

VWL Mom
04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Regardless of all the what you can and can't do, may or may not be able to do, it still seems like a lot of WORK.

I agree :thumbsup:

I still see that as a problem though... This is going to be like the ADR issues... People booking FP+ (ADRs) and not showing, thus taking a potential use away from another family..

Great, next the more popular rides will require a cc guarantee :blush:

My question is with all the new reliance on WiFi and talk of changes on the run does Disney intend to add charging stations to the parks?

AgentC
04-06-2013, 05:18 PM
My question is with all the new reliance on WiFi and talk of changes on the run does Disney intend to add charging stations to the parks?

I think so. The Rapunzel rest room area has them and the they are slotted to go in the Storybook Circus area. I haven't heard anything about the other park but it would make sense.

DizneyFreak2002
04-06-2013, 06:31 PM
I agree :thumbsup:

Great, next the more popular rides will require a cc guarantee :blush:

Ya know, we may joke about the CC guarantee, but just watch how fast this system becomes a disaster and to combat what I described above FP+ becomes a pay for play program...

As for the charge stations, they have already started.. As C said, the new Tangled area has charging stations... More are supposed to be on the way, but no idea of the locations in the other parks... They were referring to them as D Zones, are they listed on the new maps that way?

Melanie
04-06-2013, 06:36 PM
But isn't the one in the Tangled area literally about 4 plugs? Sigh.

badkitty
04-06-2013, 06:53 PM
So now we wait in line to use a charging station? Major time waster. Double sigh.

AgentC
04-06-2013, 07:14 PM
But isn't the one in the Tangled area literally about 4 plugs? Sigh.

I think so. I haven't checked it out yet. They were supposed to have a lot at Storybook Circus when it open but they still aren't there. :shrug:

During Food & Wine, there were lines for the charging stations at the Chase lounge. :(

I suppose it will depend on how much you really need to use your phone for Fast Pass+ Mine always runs down as it is because I use it to take a lot of pictures.

DizneyFreak2002
04-06-2013, 07:19 PM
So now we wait in line to use a charging station? Major time waster. Double sigh.

And with how long phones take to charge, you can be looking at waiting possibly an hour...

I suppose it will depend on how much you really need to use your phone for Fast Pass+ Mine always runs down as it is because I use it to take a lot of pictures.

Put it in perspective: using the phone to take pictures, having to be on the app practically all the time (for your FP+, ADRs, and ride wait times along with the park maps), and the connection to the weak wifi, battery life will not last long at all...

FLKatie912
04-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Remember the days before FP existed at all? ;)

AgentC
04-06-2013, 08:21 PM
And with how long phones take to charge, you can be looking at waiting possibly an hour...

Put it in perspective: using the phone to take pictures, having to be on the app practically all the time (for your FP+, ADRs, and ride wait times along with the park maps), and the connection to the weak wifi, battery life will not last long at all...

Sorry. I had to jump off my computer and didn't have a chance to finish my thoughts on my last post. And now I'm on my phone so this will probably be typo ridden. :)

I think what will matter is how the average user uses the app in the parks. Will they keep it up all they for the maps and the wait times? I have used the app in the parks and yes it does use up battery if you keep it running. I never do. I might make and ADR or check a wait time for something on the other side of the park . I have never used the map. Will the average user use it like I do? I don't know?

If you've scheduled your fast passes and not making changes , will there be a reason to keep it running? I have no idea about that either.

I do feel prett certain that no matter how many charging stations Disney provides there is no way they can meet the demand. As I mentioned they couldn't meet the demand in the Chase lounge when I was there. Lots of people with phones and iPads.

For me, it won't change anything. Between. Twitter, photos , videos , Facebook and maybe the occasional Intercot post , I regularly recharge at least twice during the day and carry enough for 4.

I think the WiFi as it is was on my last visit is a definite issue. The signal dropped a lot and ran the battery down a lot. I switched back to my cell service. I think I said this on a different thread but I really wish Disney would give some real answers so we would all know but I'm afraid they don't know themselves.

JRocker
04-06-2013, 09:07 PM
I am of the wait and see side of the fence. Quite honestly, this will have minimal impact on my vacation. I know, I know, it will lengthen my wait times...:drama: If that happens, it will still have minimal impact on my vacation.
On our typical 10 day park stay, we get maybe four fast passes. And that's if we happen to be strolling by a fast pass station that is open and it's a ride we might want to do later, and we plan on being in that same park later, and we aren't already going somewhere in particular, and...
With that in mind, count me as one of those folks that won't be online sixty days prior to my trip. Ain't gonna happen. That, my friends, is the definition of hitting the parks commando style :drill:
I also understand that people love :cloud9: planning to this extreme, which is great. Wave to me on your way to your next scheduled event, I'll be the one leaning against a pole with what was once a Mickey Bar smeared all over my face and t-shirt.:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Sorry. I had to jump off my computer and didn't have a chance to finish my thoughts on my last post. And now I'm on my phone so this will probably be typo ridden. :)

I think what will matter is how the average user uses the app in the parks. Will they keep it up all they for the maps and the wait times? I have used the app in the parks and yes it does use up battery if you keep it running. I never do. I might make and ADR or check a wait time for something on the other side of the park . I have never used the map. Will the average user use it like I do? I don't know?

If you've scheduled your fast passes and not making changes , will there be a reason to keep it running? I have no idea about that either.

I do feel prett certain that no matter how many charging stations Disney provides there is no way they can meet the demand. As I mentioned they couldn't meet the demand in the Chase lounge when I was there. Lots of people with phones and iPads.

For me, it won't change anything. Between. Twitter, photos , videos , Facebook and maybe the occasional Intercot post , I regularly recharge at least twice during the day and carry enough for 4.

I think the WiFi as it is was on my last visit is a definite issue. The signal dropped a lot and ran the battery down a lot. I switched back to my cell service. I think I said this on a different thread but I really wish Disney would give some real answers so we would all know but I'm afraid they don't know themselves.

I have read and heard horror stories about the wifi.. And yea, it is true it depends how much you use your phone/the app... I can tell you, before this MyMagic+ stuff, the first app, My Disney Experience, I tested it out a few times in MK to see if the ride times were accurate... Man, did it drain my battery... by mid afternoon my phone was dead... And no, I don't use it for pictures... didn't use it to text or access any web pages... Just the app... battery drained...

These D Zones (or whatever they will be called) are going to need FP+... LoL... Reserve your D Zone charging time 60 days in advance!!!

AgentC
04-06-2013, 09:42 PM
These D Zones (or whatever they will be called) are going to need FP+... LoL... Reserve your D Zone charging time 60 days in advance!!!

Sshhhh! You don't want to give them any ideas.:D

MNNHFLTX
04-07-2013, 12:41 AM
I think so. The Rapunzel rest room area has them and the they are slotted to go in the Storybook Circus area. I haven't heard anything about the other park but it would make sense.
Sorry, this just struck me as funny--the image of people hanging around the restrooms to charge their phones. A whole new era of Disney magic!

CuteAsMinnie
04-07-2013, 11:39 AM

....a magical vacation it does not make. :(

CuteAsMinnie
04-07-2013, 11:44 AM
BTW, if folks turn off 'cellular data' and only use Wi-Fi you will not drain your battery (and not incur overage charges.

This, of course, assumes the WDW wi-fi is dependable!

CuteAsMinnie
04-07-2013, 11:47 AM
I have read and heard horror stories about the wifi.. And yea, it is true it depends how much you use your phone/the app... I can tell you, before this MyMagic+ stuff, the first app, My Disney Experience, I tested it out a few times in MK to see if the ride times were accurate... Man, did it drain my battery... by mid afternoon my phone was dead... And no, I don't use it for pictures... didn't use it to text or access any web pages... Just the app... battery drained...

Or maybe, in WDW, I'm totally off!

WhiteRose1
04-07-2013, 06:04 PM
BTW, if folks turn off 'cellular data' and only use Wi-Fi you will not drain your battery (and not incur overage charges.

This, of course, assumes the WDW wi-fi is dependable!

is free Wifi available for only certain carriers?

I have sprint.

I have a samsung galaxy 3, and the battery lasts 1 day with pretty heavy cell data usage. I also use an animated screen, live weather updates, games, e-mails etc.

My battery lasts less when it is in and out of signal range (nor wifi, I mean cell data)

My phone is in a wifi deadzone at work, and I find even with it on it does not drain the battery as much as my animated screen does.

If you are still concerned (The sky is falling! the sky is falling! I'll have to wait in hour long lines to charge my phone to get a fastpass +!! aaaaah!!)

Here's a solution that I have, and it is a wonderful thing to keep with you. You can buy a portable charger that charges the phone in your pocket or whatever. Just charge the portable charger overnight (needs 12 hours plugged in) and it will fully charge an iphone or other smartphone 3x WITHOUT needing to recharge the portable charger.

Honestly, with how dependant we all are for our phones, I suspect many people already have these portable chargers.They are SO important and I suggest everyone have one just in case you need to recharge your phone when away from your regular charger.

I feel that as long as you charge your phone every night you won't have an issue...maybe just turn off all the extra battery-draining features you don't need in WDW if you are really concerned, and bring that portable charger as an additional backup.

cfoshe
04-07-2013, 06:19 PM
I think the fast pass plus system may help the standby lines, especially if they do away with standard fast pass. I think fp are going to very limited meaning less people entering into the fp line which makes the standby line move faster. I know when I was at Disneyland in August their standby lines moved fast, especially on the rides with no fp. I won't be getting fp+, I do not plan that far and just go with the flow.

MrPeetrie
04-07-2013, 08:16 PM
I think the fast pass plus system may help the standby lines, especially if they do away with standard fast pass.

cfoshe, I fear it may have the opposite effect. I tend to agree with Son of Jorel.

Take our family, for example: We usually head down to WDW near the end of September/beginning of October because the crowds are manageable. During a typical 10-day stay, we will use FastPass between 13 - 15 times. For us, FastPass will be most active in the Magic Kingdom, where we'll use it on Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and maybe Space Mountain. We seem to only use one FastPass (Soarin') per day at Epcot, maybe two per day at Hollywood Studios (TSM (if any are left), RnRC) and almost never any at Animal Kingdom. (We don't mind waiting in line for Expedition: Everest. Great queue.)

With FastPass+, we will probably schedule our alotted three per day, but may not use (or need to use) them all. Maybe none. That will make fewer available and place MORE PEOPLE in standby.

I guess time will tell. I'm hopeful, but somewhat skeptical, especially since I really like the current system.

AgentC
04-07-2013, 08:48 PM

Yes, it is free for everyone.

The reason I have found it to drain my battery is because in addition to the free Guest WiFi, there are other WiFi networks in the park. The Galaxy might be different but on most cell phones if WiFi is on and the phone isn't on a network, it constantly looks for a network to join. Since the guest Wifi can be weak and drop, phones search for a network and drain batteries faster than if they were on a cell connection or on an active WiFi connection.

I do agree that lots of people probably already carry a back up battery.

Tekneek
04-08-2013, 08:59 AM
The worst thing for a cellphone battery is no cell/wi-fi signal or an extremely weak one. By design, it tries to find and maintain a strong signal. Weak signals while in attractions/queues are hitting that battery hard.

The real solution to this problem is having a device that will recharge the battery using energy you build up by simply walking around the parks. The technology isn't great yet, but it should improve over time. Maybe Disney should pour some R&D investment into that.

MNDisney Dad
04-08-2013, 11:21 AM
UGH! Remember when planning a vacation only consisted of flight, hotel, tickets, and maybe a car? No anymore. Plan your FP's, ADR's, Meet & Greet. The list goes on and on. Whatever happened to spontaneity? I know a lot of people like to plan things for Disney, but it seems that everyone now needs to plan down to the second to get any enjoyment out of Disney. Have not been to the World in three years. Hopefully, I will not be disappointed with all of the changes that have taken place the last few years. Venting now complete. Carry on earthlings.

Cheshire_Girl
04-08-2013, 02:06 PM

Yep...I'm not wasintg my time charging my phone.
I had also heard that the WiFi in the parks is not great-low signals. So for people who do not have an unlimited data plan on a smart phone or tablet-it may be very difficult for them to change their FP reservations if they need to-thus creating even more "no shows" out of people who would have changed their reservations had it not been so difficult.
I'm going to hold my breath, cuz I don't think I will be holding it for long. I see this being a disaster right out of the gate.
I will say-I got my new RFID card-and it wasn't any faster getting in the park than my old paper pass. Takes the same amount of time for it to read my card and my finger print and give me the green light than the old turnstiles.

azcavalier
04-08-2013, 03:58 PM
WiFi has nothing to do with cell phone carriers. If there is free WiFi, and you have a device with an antenna, you can connect.

I do agree that lots of people probably already carry a back up battery.

There are other options. For Christmas, my wife gave me a small solar device, about the size of my phone, that stores solar energy into a battery that I can plug my phone into to recharge it. I'm thinking that i'll just throw this into one of the pockets on my cargo shorts and use this to recharge my phone (if needed) during a break, lunch, long queue, wherever. Costs about $20.

WhiteRose1
04-09-2013, 09:22 PM
WiFi has nothing to do with cell phone carriers. If there is free WiFi, and you have a device with an antenna, you can connect.

in my area that is not the case. There is free wifi, but it is only for one specific provider or phone/cable/internet. I'm talking free open air anywhere in my town Wifi. You need to log in (at least once!) to use it on each device. If you do not have that service provider, you can not log in. (Log-in info is specific to each household.)

I was told (obviously this is not the case) that free wifi was only for the exclusive use of Verizon customers.

If you go to a hotel that offers free wifi, you can get free wifi, but you need to get the log-in info, it just does not come up automatically. In your home it is the same way unless you have chosen not to password/username protect it. If free wifi was limited to one carrier, it could require a specific carrier with specific access info.

I'm not the most tech savvy, but this is how it works for me.

DizneyFreak2002
04-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Let's not forget... GPS also drains your battery... I know the old app relied on GPS.. I'm sure the new app does as well...

MickeysBestPal
04-10-2013, 06:16 AM
in my area that is not the case. There is free wifi, but it is only for one specific provider or phone/cable/internet.

You are mixing up several different ideas in your post.

Let's just discuss what is the case currently at WDW parks.

There is free-for-guests-to-use, whole park coverage (that's debatable,) no-password-required... Wi-Fi.

MrPeetrie
04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I think we're getting off on my original point, which is: It is entirely possible weeks out from your dream vacation to Walt Disney World you will know in advance there are rides (or attractions) in which you are not going to participate.

In what should be some of the most exciting time -- the time before your WDW vacation -- could turn out to be a depressing time.

Picture this: it is two days before you leave for your trip. You are having your ritual pre-Disney-vacation dinner at your favorite locale (for use, Joe's Crab Shack). Your DD9 says, "I can't wait to ride Soarin'."
"Probably not going to ride that this trip. All the FastPasses were gone before I got one."
Your wife says, "I can't wait to see the new Fantasyland."
"Yeah, but the Peter Pan FastPasses were gone and there's no way our son is going to wait 60 minutes in that line."
How is that fun?

Does it happen that we don't get to ride some rides on vacation? Sure. Every time, for us, in fact. On our last trip, we arrived at DHS too late for FastPasses and didn't want to wait in a 70-minute line. Since we were only in that park once, we chose not to ride it that trip. it happens. There's a lot to do in Disney and we can't fit it all in. I get that.

But I don't want to know before I board my plane I have no plans to ride certain rides. I have little kids. I go to Disney for my little kids. They have a great system in place where my little kids can ride great rides with minimal wait. And that makes us big kids very happy. I'm still trying to figure out who this change benefits? And at who's expense does it come? If it's for the benefit of the hard-core Disney-phile, I don't think we were complaining that much about the current system. If it is to benefit the newbie, it appears it will be so cumbersome, newbies will have a hard time utilizing it. If it only benefits Disney, then that stinks! I hope that's not the case.

I hope I'm wrong -- dead wrong -- about this new system. I hope it's great. But thinking it through, I can't see it working well, at least not at the beginning.

IMADisneyFreak
04-13-2013, 09:37 PM
So does that mean we will eventually need a FP for a charging area?? LOL. :D Couldn't resist....

i'm grumpy
04-15-2013, 01:06 PM
For me this is very confusing and none of us have smart phones.

Cheshire_Girl
04-15-2013, 03:36 PM
I am of the wait and see side of the fence. Quite honestly, this will have minimal impact on my vacation. I know, I know, it will lengthen my wait times...:drama: If that happens, it will still have minimal impact on my vacation.
On our typical 10 day park stay, we get maybe four fast passes. And that's if we happen to be strolling by a fast pass station that is open and it's a ride we might want to do later, and we plan on being in that same park later, and we aren't already going somewhere in particular, and...
With that in mind, count me as one of those folks that won't be online sixty days prior to my trip. Ain't gonna happen. That, my friends, is the definition of hitting the parks commando style :drill:
I also understand that people love :cloud9: planning to this extreme, which is great. Wave to me on your way to your next scheduled event, I'll be the one leaning against a pole with what was once a Mickey Bar smeared all over my face and t-shirt.:thumbsup:

JRocker...You Rock!!!!
that is all...

indytraveler
04-16-2013, 11:30 AM
OK, I'm late to the game here. Has this FP+ been fully implemented now? If not when does it go into effect? 60 days out to plan your rides I find it hard to get the word out completely this year. But this will change dramatically once people realize they will possibly miss out on some of their favorite rides.

If I understand correctly when I go in December this year, and not stay on property I won't have access to this great new technology? I will have to get my normal FP's like before but know there will be fewer of them than before b/c of the FP+. Only when they run out and I'm in the standby line will I hope these people miss their return window and get shut out so the line will move faster. I just hope that most resort people won't know about this

Can't wait for my relaxing vacation.

WhiteRose1
04-16-2013, 10:41 PM
OK, I'm late to the game here. Has this FP+ been fully implemented now? If not when does it go into effect? 60 days out to plan your rides I find it hard to get the word out completely this year. But this will change dramatically once people realize they will possibly miss out on some of their favorite rides.

If I understand correctly when I go in December this year, and not stay on property I won't have access to this great new technology? I will have to get my normal FP's like before but know there will be fewer of them than before b/c of the FP+. Only when they run out and I'm in the standby line will I hope these people miss their return window and get shut out so the line will move faster. I just hope that most resort people won't know about this

Can't wait for my relaxing vacation.

it is not out yet, no one knows the details of everything because it's not out yet. Everyone is just fearing for the worst...but untill anything is actually released, it's just RUMOR. People are looking for info, and finding lots of rumors and guesses. There are plenty of people freaking out...

I'm not panicing till I have something to panic about. I'm within my 180 days for ADRs and all were made without issue. The website and the smart phone app work pretty much the same from here in NJ, because I do not have the GPS stuff to show me whatever that will show me.

sportsguy2315
04-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Or maybe, in WDW, I'm totally off!

It reminds me of these two grandmas I met one day in the parks where they banned all electronic devices in the park. Consequently, this led them to spend an hour hanging out at Electric Umbrella waiting for their family while they did Test Track.

MrPeetrie
05-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Sorry for sounding like the voice of doom on this thread, but my minds runs multiple scenarios, looking at all problem areas all the time, searching for solutions, and I can't rest until I have things thought completely through.

I thought of another pitfall. In 2014, we are heading down with two other families, both newbies. They will be looking to us for guidance, but they will each be on their own reservations.

We'll be staying at the same resort, but not necessarily the same section. And we will be staying five days longer than the over two.

Both will be trusting me for ADRs. But how am I going to handle FastPass+? We'll have separate reservations. I will only be able to make our family's ride reservations. Do I need to conference call with the other two parties? Do you see my point here?

Supposing I let them know we're going to Epcot on such-and-such day and I make ride reservations for 2:00-3:00. But by the time they make theirs, they can only get 5:00-6:00! And maybe the other party can't get any!!!

Look, I'm a planner and a researcher so I'll figure it out. I just have to deduce how this will play out.

i'm grumpy
05-06-2013, 09:06 PM
:sob: The flights right now are double what we paid last time, so it probably doesn't even matter. But if no one else rides, would I be able to use their fast pass?

MickeysBestPal
05-07-2013, 05:40 PM
if no one else rides, would I be able to use their fast pass?

If you mean can you use someone else's reserved FP+ for an attraction, we just don't know yet.
But at this point, it doesn't look very likely that you will be able to do that.
(Certainly not as easily as it can be done now.)

i'm grumpy
05-07-2013, 08:30 PM
:(

CuteAsMinnie
05-07-2013, 10:53 PM
I came across a very recent article and thought fellow Intercotees would enjoy the read...

:sick:

On the Call: Disney CFO explains MyMagic+ should help boost parks attendance, spending

By The Associated Press | Associated Press – 3 hours ago

Disney is looking to the power of planning to help keep people spending at Walt Disney World in Florida.
On its second-quarter earnings call with analysts, Walt Disney Co. executives explained the rationale behind the development of technology it's calling MyMagic+.
The technology combines a wristband embedded with a chip that acts as a room key, park ticket and optional payment account. By linking it to a website and mobile app, park guests can plan their meals and rides ahead of time. Disney began testing MyMagic+ in Florida in December.
Chief Financial Officer Jay Rasulo said that by getting guests to plan ahead, they're less likely to be enticed by other parks and tourist offerings when they set foot in Orlando, Fla., where the park is located.
CEO Bob Iger said MyMagic+ is set to roll out "at some point this year."
QUESTION: If you could talk about the timing of the rollout of MyMagic+. Is there any way to give us a sense of the potential impact from that initiative?
RESPONSE: (Rasulo) We have known for a really long time that getting our visitors to Walt Disney World to make decisions about where they spend their time before they leave home is a powerful driver of visits per guest. When they get into the Orlando market and their time isn't yet planned, they can be subject to everything you see down there, which is a lot of in-city marketing for all the many products that people have put there to basically bleed off the feed that we fundamentally motivate.
So if we can get people to plan their vacation before they leave home, we know that we get more time with them. We get a bigger share of their wallet. So that's one thing for you guys to think about. And the second thing is what happens to purchases when they become much more convenient, and you don't spend time queuing up for a transaction, queuing up to get in the park, and you actually have more time to enjoy the entertainment and, subsequently, spend more money doing things — other than standing in line, which, of course, you can't spend any money while you're doing that.

DizneyFreak2002
05-07-2013, 10:55 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, here is the true motivating factor for this MyMagic garbage:

We get a bigger share of their wallet.

Rasulo makes me sick...

CuteAsMinnie
05-07-2013, 11:01 PM
Pretty bold comments I thought

DizneyRox
05-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm telling you, if they could somehow get poeple into a machine that turns you upside down to shake the last nickle and dime out of your pocket, they would. Just ask Rasulo, I'm sure he's working on it.

Tekneek
05-08-2013, 10:33 AM
The idea is that by getting people into a pattern of scheduling everything well ahead of time, they will be less likely to go off property? If it works as well as I've imagined it will, I won't be back on Disney property.

PopPhan
05-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I don't understand all the negativity about Mr. Rasulo's reasoning.....Disney is a corporation, and as such, must look to increasing its bottom line - for themselves as much as for the stockholders. As CFO, his reasoning is perfectly sound and in line with the corporate mentality.

There isn't anything that any corporation does that is not to, in one way or another, increase profitability.

Do I agree with scheduling every aspect to a vacation at WDW, or anywhere else for that matter? NO! I like a bit of spontaneity to my vacations. That said, I also tend to travel at off-peak times, so scheduling is not normally imperative.

Will I use FastPass+? Probably not, for the same reasons.

I do, however, like the idea of the RFID embedded in the KTTW card or MyMagic wristband with all the ticket, payment, ADR information loaded -- "swipe and go" works for me, even though I am not a big souvenir purchaser.

JMHO

minnie04
05-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Not to throw a wrench in this topic, but what did we all have to do before FAST PASSES came out, WE all had to stand in lines and wait. I’m sorry! I know it stinks to wait in line, but if you really want to ride something then what’s the problem. Just plan you day around waiting on something’s you like. We all grew up waiting in lines at Disney. We weren’t spoiled by FP's to get us through faster and faster. Again just plan your day accordingly and make the best of it... why are people stressing out so much about FP’s. I’m sure Disney is looking at all angels and will make it work somehow to please everyone (NOT).

JRocker
05-08-2013, 11:28 AM
I don't understand all the negativity about Mr. Rasulo's reasoning.....Disney is a corporation, and as such, must look to increasing its bottom line - for themselves as much as for the stockholders. As CFO, his reasoning is perfectly sound and in line with the corporate mentality.

zactly.

However, I have to question Rasulo's rationale. Yes, proper planning does, in most cases, provide more time, but what makes him think that more time equates to money in HIS pockets.
If I have more time because I am able to schedule my visit more stringently (which I won't do, not my style), then any extra time will most likely be spent on things outside of the world that I haven't done.
Such as: If with all this wonderful planning I get an extra day, or even afternoon, I'm heading over to Fantasy of Flight, or checking out the gators, or another one of hundreds of attractions in the Orlando area.

Even if I was to utilize this new system, I just do not see that I would spend any more money at the parks.

His reasoning is without reason.

Nascfan
05-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Such as: If with all this wonderful planning I get an extra day, or even afternoon, I'm heading over to Fantasy of Flight, or checking out the gators, or another one of hundreds of attractions in the Orlando area.

Even if I was to utilize this new system, I just do not see that I would spend any more money at the parks.

His reasoning is without reason.

That's one of the first things I thought of too. More time to check out Wizarding World of Harry Potter or Sea World, etc. His reasoning seems flawed to me.

Mrs Bus Driver
05-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Wow they have managed to figure out a way so I can spend less time in line and make a profit at it. Sounds like a win/win. If you don't want to spend more money then don't. They can't make you spend it, all they are doing is giving you the opportunity to. When I go to a park I know what rides I'm going to get fp's for, so now I have them ahead of time. I just go ride whatever until the fp times come up. Hasn't killed my spontaneity. I just don't understand all the complaining. So what if I can order lunch and pay for it on my phone (which is also my camera another convenience). Now I just have to go to the window and pick it up.
Years ago when I planed my first trip to WDW one of the reasons I stayed on property was the convenience. Another was even though offsite hotels were cheaper, all the hidden costs added up to make them just as expensive (if not more expensive) then staying on property. So now it's even more convenient and I have more time to relax while on vacation. Won't stop me from going to Universal for a couple of days if I want.
If you really don't want to go to WDW anymore that's too bad. But I am betting that most people are going to like these changes. Just my :twocents:

i'm grumpy
05-08-2013, 12:25 PM
So each person would have to scan the bracelet and pick up their own FP? What happened to the idea of all FP machines in one location? Always seems you wander across the park and have to rush back to meet the time window.

TheHD
05-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm all for shorter lines. I won't wait in any line that is longer than 20 minutes, maybe 30 depending on the circumstances.

Also, I don't fall victim to spending spontaneously. My family and I always set a food and souvenir limit before we head to WDW.

I am also a planner, so I'm open to this.... for the moment at least.

MrPeetrie
05-08-2013, 03:41 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to handle this scenario:

We are going back down next October with two other families, both newbies. They are leaving the planning (which park, ADRs, etc.) up to me. We are staying different length of stays and we'll each have our own reservation. How can we coordinate FastPass+ times? Must we be all on a conference call to ensure we're getting the time same window for the same ride on the same day? Do you see my concern?

I can make ADRs for all of us. I can plan the days out. But how will we coordinate getting synced-up FastPasses?

TheHD
05-08-2013, 04:16 PM
What I would do; since they are leaving you with the planning, I would plan according to what I think and know is best and book Fastpasses accordingly. They can either give you their reservation numbers to book (not sure exactly how it works yet) or yes, get on a conference call with them.

Yours is somewhat a unique situation and I would think requires some coordinated effort, or phone conference, regardless of being Fastpass+ or anything else.

MrPeetrie
05-08-2013, 05:40 PM
...get on a conference call with them.

I think you're right. We'll have to get on a conference call to coordinate our FastPasses.

Tekneek
05-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Introducing a new program in order to make guests happy, therefore making them want to spend more time/money/come back again, is fine by me. They give something, I give something back. The reasoning in this case is quite cynical. Research into human psychology shows that, if you convince them to plan out each day of their vacation well ahead of time, they are more likely to stay on property. They aren't making it better, they're just basically preying on a vulnerability in the human psyche.

They may believe that is good for their bottom line, and it may very well be, but I'm not going to wave pom-poms and lead a cheer for it.

TheHD
05-08-2013, 08:35 PM
I think you're right. We'll have to get on a conference call to coordinate our FastPasses.

Is the system supposed to be in effect by October?

MickeysBestPal
05-09-2013, 04:03 AM
Is the system supposed to be in effect by October?

"Supposed to be" is a tough call.

I think that ORIGINALLY Disney planned for MyMagic+ and FP+ to be in place
by Spring of this year.

That's not happening.
------------------------------------

MIGHT the system be in effect by October?

Yes.

------------------------------------

Do I think that it will be?

Nope.

Dulcee
05-09-2013, 11:39 AM
I'm not surprised by all the negativity surrounding this. We (as the disney fanatics) tend not to be big fans of change. But! to be fair DH and I got to test drive Fastpass+ on our December trip.

Honestly, it worked really, really well for us. We had a nice mix of standby, traditional fast pass, and a sprinkling of fast pass+.

And to address just a few of the earlier comments..
The first thing is even with the ability to pick 3 attractions in one park they were separated into a pick one from column a, b and c such that you couldn't choose Soarin, Test Track and Mission Space. You got one of the above and had to choose your others from the remaining attractions (which not for nothing encourages guests to see other attractions in the park then just the top three).

Second, just like your run of the mill fast pass there are limits as to how many fastpass + are available for each attraction each day. Just like they don't hand out endless numbers of fastpasses and thus completely murder the standby line, I can't imagine they'd do that to fastpass +.

And third, waiting in line is never going to completely disappear. If you refuse to wait more then 30 minutes for Soarin and you miss the ability to get a fast pass+ plus you don't get to the park in the 3-4 hours that fastpasses are available, tough cookies! As many have said, in the days before fastpass people stood and waited. We did, my parents did with us as kids long before the days of smartphones and tablets to keep us amused.

It just amuses me that people complain, complain, complain they don't want to over schedule their trip but then in the same breath say I can't be bothered to wait in a line more the 10 minutes long. Seems to me that puts WDW in between a rock and a hard place...

TheHD
05-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Do I think that it will be?

Nope.

That's what I was thinking as well. I would think that we (or I) would have heard more "definite" plans by now if it were to be in effect by the end of this year.

TheHD
05-09-2013, 12:53 PM
We (as the disney fanatics) tend not to be big fans of change.

I might be one of the few. I for one, love change (along with the better kept traditional things). I always find out what has changed since my previous trip and make sure that I view or ride these changes within the first few days of my trip.

And third, waiting in line is never going to completely disappear. If you refuse to wait more then 30 minutes for Soarin and you miss the ability to get a fast pass+ plus you don't get to the park in the 3-4 hours that fastpasses are available, tough cookies!

That is why since my very first trip, I think that I have only missed rope drop once. Experience all of the major rides first thing in the morning and any Fastpasses of these major rides after that is a bonus.

MrPeetrie
05-09-2013, 01:15 PM
...The first thing is even with the ability to pick 3 attractions in one park they were separated into a pick one from column a, b and c such that you couldn't choose Soarin, Test Track and Mission Space. You got one of the above and had to choose your others from the remaining attractions (which not for nothing encourages guests to see other attractions in the park then just the top...

I love that idea.

Also, I'm not sure if I'm complaining? Or just nervous? As I've stated earlier, I'll thoroughly research this and figure it out beforehand. I'm just trying to ease my mind by understanding how this will all work.

Glad to see you had good results with it though.

MickeysBestPal
05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Honestly, it worked really, really well for us.

We had a nice mix of

1- standby,

2- traditional fast pass,

3- and a sprinkling of fast pass+.

1 and 3 would seem like a given.

It's the #2 that may or may not be a part of the
FP experience once everything is rolled out.

-------------------------
Of course, guests could have a good experience if they could keep all the benefits of the traditional FastPass...

-AND- add in 3 extra FP+ reservations.

But, we have seen little to believe that traditional FastPass will long survive past the roll-out of FastPass+ systems.
(It can't remain unchanged, as since reserving X amount of FP positions for FP+ would
reduce the number of NON-reserved FP for day-of collection.)

That's exactly the reason many of us are reluctant to change a decade-tested system for
a "vast unknown."

Tekneek
05-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Honestly, it worked really, really well for us. We had a nice mix of standby, traditional fast pass, and a sprinkling of fast pass+.

The Terms of Service for My Disney Experience say that going to paperless tickets means you can no longer participate in the current FastPass system (traditional FP).

Are you saying that you can keep paper tickets and then use both FP+ and traditional FP, which won't be available to those getting paperless tickets? Once that word gets out, people will be demanding paper tickets over the bands. That won't last long if their intention is to get everybody wearing those bands.

Not that I need to defend my position on this NewGen stuff, but the vast majority of my complaints are based entirely on what we know about it and not rumor. I didn't really get too bothered about it until details were published.

DizneyFreak2002
05-09-2013, 05:05 PM
The Terms of Service for My Disney Experience say that going to paperless tickets means you can no longer participate in the current FastPass system (traditional FP).

Are you saying that you can keep paper tickets and then use both FP+ and traditional FP, which won't be available to those getting paperless tickets? Once that word gets out, people will be demanding paper tickets over the bands. That won't last long if their intention is to get everybody wearing those bands.

Not that I need to defend my position on this NewGen stuff, but the vast majority of my complaints are based entirely on what we know about it and not rumor. I didn't really get too bothered about it until details were published.

FP as we know it will eventually go away... How long they will take to phase it out is unclear... But it will be phased out...

Once you agree to the ToS, you pretty much are out of luck using the current FP system (once this all goes live, as of now, even with the RFID tickets, you can use the current FP system)...

On site guests will only have a choice of RFID cards or MouseArrest bracelets (Lindsay Lohan will be more then comfortable with yet another MouseArrest bracelet lol)... Once the FP kiosks disappear, the guests offsite using paper tickets are out of luck... Unless they are they offered the use of FP+... But with the way it sounds, this will only be for onsite guests...

Standby line wait times are going to be a killer once this mess goes live...

Dulcee
05-10-2013, 07:51 AM
Standby line wait times are going to be a killer once this mess goes live...

A lot of the long standbys now seem to be blamed on fast pass...with limiting fast pass to onsite guests (thus less people using the fast pass system) and removing the dual system of paper and rfid why wouldn't stand by get better?

MrPeetrie
05-10-2013, 09:34 AM
A lot of the long standbys now seem to be blamed on fast pass...with limiting fast pass to onsite guests (thus less people using the fast pass system) and removing the dual system of paper and rfid why wouldn't stand by get better?

Dulcee, I think DizneyFreak's concern is my concern. We usually go at lighter times of the year. For many of our visits, we rarely need to use FastPass because lines are manageable. There are plenty available for people use for those who don't want to wait.

However, if I'm planning my FastPasses weeks out, I am CERTAINLY going to reserve my allotted three per day, as will everyone else. Every available FastPass will be gone before you enter a park whether necessary or not. I think DizneyFreak thinks and I fear this will lengthen stand-by times. It may not. It may be the most convenient way to visit parks. We'll just have to try it out and see how it goes.

Tekneek
05-10-2013, 12:01 PM
The only way I see this working out as an improvement for the guest experience is if Disney is tracking the data all day and actively making adjustments on the fly. If they find that a lot of FPs are going unused, perhaps they can feed more back into the system and push notifications out that slots are now available. They could adjust slots based on changes in the crowd level, or because some attractions have been closed, or parades/other events had to be cancelled due to weather, etc. I don't have confidence that Disney is either interested in the management required to really plus this out nor the technical aptitude (look at how much trouble they have keeping their dining reservation websites running properly and that is peanuts compared to what this would be).

waymickey
05-10-2013, 01:05 PM
This Fast Pass+ is really really bad PR for Disney. If people on this board are confused and upset by the system imagine the "normal People" reactions when they are stuck in a 2 hour line because they can't figure out how to "get one of those darn +pass thingys".

I forsee a lot of people walking with their head buried in their phone or tablet waiting to rush the kiosk when they get an alert that more passes were put back into the system. They will miss the awesome theming around them and the little details that went into an attraction or area.

I am going to leave my phone at the resort, and make rope drop each morning get on the rides I love and relax in the afternoon. I can't decide what I want for lunch and that is just a few minutes away I really have no idea what park or what ride I want to ride 60 days out.

Tekneek
05-10-2013, 01:20 PM
I am going to leave my phone at the resort, and make rope drop each morning get on the rides I love and relax in the afternoon. I can't decide what I want for lunch and that is just a few minutes away I really have no idea what park or what ride I want to ride 60 days out.

I think I can make those decisions, but being punished by a system that could end up "requiring" long term planning is my concern. If circumstances change and I want to be at a different park tomorrow than I thought 50 days ago, will all the slots be gone? I foresee the same problems that plagued the dinner experience. I remember being able to call same day, or even walk up, to many restaurants and get a table. Then it became this thing where you would miss out completely if you weren't scheduling your table service at least 150+ days out. What a drag.

I like planning at a high level while far out. I like coming up with a framework plan for everything. I don't enjoy trying to schedule being at particular rides/restaurants, for an entire trip, that far in advance.

DizneyFreak2002
05-10-2013, 03:32 PM

Because rides which FP is never needed and not used will now suffer from people getting a FP for these attractions... One the FP for the top rides are gone 60 days out, people are going to scalp up the remaining FPs for rides which they don't need them... This will greatly increase the stand by times for these rides by at least 30 minutes, so what would be a normal 15 to 30 minute queue for HM will turn into a 45 to 1 hour wait...

Dulcee, I think DizneyFreak's concern is my concern. We usually go at lighter times of the year. For many of our visits, we rarely need to use FastPass because lines are manageable. There are plenty available for people use for those who don't want to wait.

However, if I'm planning my FastPasses weeks out, I am CERTAINLY going to reserve my allotted three per day, as will everyone else. Every available FastPass will be gone before you enter a park whether necessary or not. I think DizneyFreak thinks and I fear this will lengthen stand-by times. It may not. It may be the most convenient way to visit parks. We'll just have to try it out and see how it goes.

MrP nails it... I am basing my thoughts around how Disney has handled things in the past, handles them now, and the numbers has people have run them... None of this bodes well... I do not trust Disney to ever do the right thing to enhance the guest experience (at least not anymore)...

Believe me, I hope I am wrong.. I hope this is the best thing to ever hit theme parks... I will be more than happy to come back here, admit I was wrong, and have a huge dish of crow for dinner... But, history with Disney tells me otherwise...

This Fast Pass+ is really really bad PR for Disney. If people on this board are confused and upset by the system imagine the "normal People" reactions when they are stuck in a 2 hour line because they can't figure out how to "get one of those darn +pass thingys".

Disney's response would be: Staying offsite? Too bad, you aren't worthy of enjoying the parks as they were meant to be enjoyed... Stay here with us... Help us increase our floundering hotel numbers by letting us blackmail you into staying onsite so you can use our crumbling transportation system and pay double the rack rates for rooms that are no better than some of the rooms you can get offsite, which are nicer and much cheaper! Oh, and want Mickey to say hello to your little pirate or princess? Cough up the dough baby! Cause your vacation in WDW can only be magical if you give us your child's college education money!

I think I can make those decisions, but being punished by a system that could end up "requiring" long term planning is my concern. If circumstances change and I want to be at a different park tomorrow than I thought 50 days ago, will all the slots be gone? I foresee the same problems that plagued the dinner experience. I remember being able to call same day, or even walk up, to many restaurants and get a table. Then it became this thing where you would miss out completely if you weren't scheduling your table service at least 150+ days out. What a drag.

I like planning at a high level while far out. I like coming up with a framework plan for everything. I don't enjoy trying to schedule being at particular rides/restaurants, for an entire trip, that far in advance.

You are supposed to be allowed to swap out your FP tickets the day of... So, it sounds like if you have MK planned for one day but decide to go to DHS instead, you would be able to swap out the FP... You raise the right question though... Will FPs be reserved for those situations or are you out of luck when TSMM's FP are gone 60 days prior and you are now swapping parks?

And ADRs have really had a negative affect on dining, as much as the "free" dining has been... I remember one trip, I refused to make any ADRs... So, I walked up to Le Cellier... The place was empty... Maybe one or two families were there... I asked if there was any availability... I was told no.. I said "I see plenty of empty tables"... the CM asked "do you have advanced dining?" I said "no, but I see plenty of empty tables"... CM said they are reserved for people with ADRs... I asked how long of a wait... They said they would not be able to accommodate me... So, I hung around just to see... and not one person ever walked in... This has happened to people I know regarding Crystal Palace as well, but they were seated 30 minutes after arriving and asking... I wasn't seated in Le Cellier at all despite not one person arriving for their ADR... BTW, this was during slow times...

MrPeetrie
05-10-2013, 04:59 PM

Changing parks has happened each trip for us. 60 days out, I have no idea of weather predictions. I try to keep some flexibility is our scheduling so we can adapt, if necessary. We usually schedule a late dinner on days we want to visit a water park. But once we arrive (and this has happened each of the last three trips) we check the forecast to see if the water-park day is a hot, sunny day.

"We're supposed to go to typhoon lagoon tomorrow with dinner at downtown Disney, but the next day looks much sunnier. Lets go to animal kingdom tomorrow. We can keep our dinner reservations. We'll go swimming the next day."

Under that very plausible scenario, our animal kingdom trip may be much less enjoyable as all FastPasses will already be distributed prior to arrival. And if my fears come true, standby times will increase despite the park being no more crowded.

DANAM
05-10-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm curious if the 60 day mark just happens to be the day you can't make adjustments to your hotel reservation. So for instance, you log on to fastpass+ and everything you want is gone 60 days out your basically stuck because you can't change your reservations without paying a penalty. I guess on the flip side they know they have your money and you intend on going on vacation. So maybe that will cut down on some of the no shows? I dont know. Any thoughts on the significance on 60 days, if any?

DizneyFreak2002
05-10-2013, 11:24 PM
I'm curious if the 60 day mark just happens to be the day you can't make adjustments to your hotel reservation. So for instance, you log on to fastpass+ and everything you want is gone 60 days out your basically stuck because you can't change your reservations without paying a penalty. I guess on the flip side they know they have your money and you intend on going on vacation. So maybe that will cut down on some of the no shows? I dont know. Any thoughts on the significance on 60 days, if any?

it is like ADRs... You book ADRs 180 days out... You book FP+ times 60 days out... has nothing to do with making people pay or not pay a penalty to change reservations...

And honestly, if people want to change vacation dates because they couldn't book FP+, maybe they should seek help somewhere and stay away from WDW for a little while... :) LoL..

MickeysBestPal
05-11-2013, 09:01 AM
I'm curious if the 60 day mark just happens to be the day you can't make adjustments to your hotel reservation. So for instance, you log on to fastpass+ and everything you want is gone 60 days out your basically stuck because you can't change your reservations without paying a penalty.

Isn't the penalty cut-off for changing a package 45 days out?