PDA

View Full Version : Taking Scuba lessons!!

Jim&AngieMarriner
04-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Hey gang!
So, in preperation to going on a cruise next year and the shore excursions we will be doing, I am taking a PADI open water scuba course. I had my first class on the 2nd of this month and my next one is tomorrow. I am soooooo excited!! Can you tell? lol

We are going to the Caribbean and Bahamas on a Disney Cruise next year (we are planning ona 7 day Caribbean and a 4 day Bahamas trip).

Anyone care to share on their diving experiences? I'm all ears.

VWL Mom
04-05-2013, 06:57 PM
DH and I were both certified but I only did caribbean dives (mostly Bonaire). I loved it during the day, wasn't so thrilled with night dives though. It's such a beautiful world down there but one that needs to be respected. Learn your gauges and compass and you're good to go. If it's something you're going to keep up with I strongly suggest buying and maintaining your own equipment, it is your lifeline. Haven't been in years but someday I'll get re-certified now that the boys are grown. Enjoy!

Strmchsr
04-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Been diving several years now. Love it. DS12 and DW both have their open water certifications as well and DS7 is now old enough for Scuba Rangers so it's something we can do as a family. And there's nothing like diving at the Seas in Epcot! Perfect visibility and lots of fish.

mgmnut
04-05-2013, 11:55 PM
How exciting!! I have no experiences to share but I am sure all your efforts will take your vacation experience to the next level. I am sure diving in the Caribbean is breathtaking.

I have always wanted to take self contained underwater breathing apparatus lessons...haha

CanadianWDWFan
04-06-2013, 11:06 AM
Good for you. You will have a great time exploring the underwater realm.

But for my money, Epcot DiveQuest is a must do. I have done this twice and LOVED it. Perfect conditions and visability on every dive. Nothing like watching folks eat at The Coral Reef. :D Plus they parade you out infront of all the other guest in your shortie wetsuit to get you to the dive platform. You can buy a video of the experience as well.

Personally I am a fresh water diver, since I live on the shores of Lake Ontario. I enjoy wreck diving and exploring history. I have been on recent wrecks as well as a side paddle wheeler that has been on the bottom for over 100 years, still intact!! I have also bowled :bowl:on a car ferry.

Jim&AngieMarriner
04-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Had our first real pool day yesterday. It was a lot of fun but also a bit rough. I really don't like taking my mask off od having water in my mask and having to clear it. I know it is an essential skill but I don't have to like it. Anyways we had to prove we are decent swimmers by swimming 200m and then tread water for 10 mins. Guess who is a little bit sore today?

Still all in all I am having a lot of fun and cant wait till our next class

MNNHFLTX
04-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Sounds like a good start to your scuba course! I totally understand how unpleasant it is to learn how to clear your mask. I wear contact lenses and this meant closing my eyes when filling my mask during training. Clearing all the water during the first attempt was essential.

My husband and I were both certified before we even met (NAUI for him, PADI for me) and used to dive in Florida, both ocean and freshwater in the springs there. Our favorite place was Pennekamp State Park in the Keys--amazing wildlife in the reefs there! Unfortunately, once we moved up to New Hampshire we let our skills lapse, so would have to get re-certified at this point. DS also became certified in a diving course at college, but has only been diving in the springs around central Texas so far. He would love to do some ocean dives.