PDA

View Full Version : Hair Help!

DVC2004
04-03-2013, 05:54 PM
I have fine hair but it is also thick. Meaning I have a lot of it. I take good care of it- rarely use flat irons or curling irons but I must blow dry it or it looks terrible. It is also naturally straight. I have to wash it every day because it gets terribly oily. I've been growing it out of for a couple years and getting it trimmed regularly. It looks great in the morning but by mid -day it starts to look stringy. Any suggestions to help? Or maybe it is just too long a length for my type of hair. My stylist always says it's healthy looking and very little damage or split ends. LOL maybe I should just shave it all off! ;)

DisneyDog
04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Is it all one length or do you have layers? Layers can give you shape and style. Also, do you use conditioner? If so, do you use it every day? I use conditioner every day, but have started using just a tiny bit of it. If I use too much then my hair goes straight and I can't do anything with it at all. You might also want to experiment with different products to help your hair stay in place. I use mousse and hairspray, which helps a lot.

DVC2004
04-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Thanks- I do have some layers but not a ton. I do condition every day. IMaybe I should use less- since my hair is fine it tends to tangle up after it's washed so the conditioner helped with that. However, that could very well be why it gets piece-y. I used more on my ends and barely any by the roots. Thanks for the help! I'll play around and see if it gets better. Right now I really don't use many styling products- sometimes a little argon oil by the ends and sometimes a little finishing spray to keep it smooth. Other than that I leave it alone. Thanks again!

SBETigg
04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Argan oil is great for hair but can cause some of what you're experiencing with the midday slump. If you have naturally oily hair, you probably should be avoiding argan oil even on the ends. Perhaps don't use conditioner every day. You probably only need it once or twice a week. Also, maybe try a new finishing spray. Some give your hair a bad coating, even in small amounts. And new shampoo. Changing shampoos now and then is good for your hair, or so I've read.

I have fine hair, too, currently long layers, not oily. I work at home and what I like to do is twist it up into a chignon held with spin pins (they're great, hold perfectly) or french braid it when I'm not going out. Then, when I have to dash out, I take it out, brush it, and it's got lots of wave and body. It looks fine up, too, and I've left it up sometimes. You could start the day hair up and then fluff it out at lunch. This time of year creates a lot of static on my brush, so I spray my brush, not my hair, with hair spray.

Lacy
04-07-2013, 01:35 PM
This sounds exactly like my hair. I don't have much advice but appreciate the responses as well!

Sherri - what are spin pins? My hair is finally getting long enough that I should have more options for putting it up besides just a ponytail but I don't really know what to do.

SBETigg
04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
This sounds exactly like my hair. I don't have much advice but appreciate the responses as well!

Sherri - what are spin pins? My hair is finally getting long enough that I should have more options for putting it up besides just a ponytail but I don't really know what to do.

I think they are by Goody.You can find them in the hair section of your grocer or drug store. They look like corkscrew springs. You twist your hair up and screw them in, one from the top and one from the bottom. They anchor the hair beautifully-- my twists or buns never move, but my hair isn't all that heavy. And they don't show, easy to put in or take out. They come in shades to disappear into blond or brunette hair. There's a short instruction sheet, I think, if you're not sure how to put your hair up.