PDA

View Full Version : accomodations question - but also relates to getting to Universal...

mom2morgan
04-03-2013, 05:29 PM
I have only been to DLR once, and realized it is a huge pain in the you-know-where to get to any other theme parks. My husband and daughters got a rental car and drove to Six Flags, whereupon my husband said he'd never, EVER drive in California again. On our next trip we want to stay at the Grand Californian but do a day at Universal (which we've never been to). I can't figure out how on earth to get back and forth, so I'm wondering if it would be better to arrive in L.A. , stay one night near Universal, do our day there, and THEN come out to Anaheim. Only thing is, I have no idea where to stay with access to Universal (I'm assuming they don't have their own hotels?) or how to then get to Anaheim. *sigh* - it is frustrating and I have to admit it is WAYY easier to get around in Orlando.

faline
04-03-2013, 06:33 PM
As I recall, Universal is about 40 miles away from Disneyland. We stayed at Disneyland and drove to Universal - left a bit later in hopes that rush hour would be over but still found the traffic difficult and it took us quite a long time to cover the distance there.

If you stay near Universal for part of your trip, how will you get between the two locations?

It looks like there are some hotels very close to Universal. A Sheraton is listed at being 0 miles away from Universal and a Hilton is listed as being .1 miles away.

BrerGnat
04-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Universal is not very far from Disneyland in comparison to Six Flags, which is practically over the Grapevine mountain pass. That is FAR!

Universal is a lot easier to get to, but the only day of the week I'd actually recommend making the drive would be a Saturday or Sunday, otherwise traffic will be a nightmare.

Driving in CA is not that bad. People freak out about it, but I find driving up here in Northern VA to be much, much worse because no one here knows how to drive! ;) People in CA drive fast, but they know what they are doing. Just go fast enough and you won't feel overwhelmed. By fast enough, I mean, like 80mph, if there is no traffic.

I would not recommend staying near Universal. All you will find there are overpriced, mediocre at best hotels. You can rent a car for the day from Anaheim. Best option. There are many rental car companies with locations nearby DLR.

tinkwest
04-03-2013, 10:13 PM
I think you are going to spend more time on the road if you take a tour bus or shuttle between Disneyland and Universal. I'd drive. Don't know your husband's reason for not wanting to drive, but it just seems the easiest choice to me.
Like Linda said, if you go to Universal first you will still need to figure out how to get to Disneyland, so that doesn't completely solve the problem.
If you really want to go to another theme park, but don't want to do a lot of driving Knott's Berry Farm is closer still.

mom2morgan
04-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Thanks, all. I was hoping to here that the "Universal" hotels were nice and there would be a shuttle we could then take to Anaheim, but no such luck I guess :-) My husband said the drive to 6 Flags was awful - and he still growls about "California lane changes" - people whipping in and out and cutting him off without even signalling ;-) Good to hear that Universal isn't quite as hard to get to, though! I know it is super easy to rent a car since there is one right on the corner by the Disneyland hotel. Still....makes me long for Orlando, a little - we took cabs several times in September - Universal (twice) and Seaworld - and it was just so EASY and not even terribly expensive. No planning ahead - just hop in a cab and go!