PDA

View Full Version : Finding friends that are as in to disney as you are

taleasoldastime
04-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Im just curious about this subject and thought to seek advice from people who have more disney experience than me.
its hard for me at 21 to find someone into disney world vacations like I am. Most people my age think its weird. They would rather go to las vegas or south padre.
how do you find friends who enjoy disney world like you do?
i guess I just need to stick to my disney going family, but I really wish there were more people my age who wanted to go.

Capt_redshirt
04-03-2013, 01:36 AM
well a site like this will certainly help but your right there is a point where disney just seems uncool... try looking for groups on some of the social network sites ...

Pirate Granny
04-03-2013, 06:59 AM
Convert your friends...that's what I did and still do...convince a friend to go with, and it's like watching a flower bloom! :mickey: :cloud9:

Goofeygal
04-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Pirate that is exactly what we do!!!!! Take them once and they are hooked.:mickey:

Madame Leona
04-03-2013, 09:00 AM
I think there are a couple of things that scare off the 21 crowd with number 1 being price. Disney is not an inexpensive place to go when you compare it to say and all inclusive in Mexico. Second most 21 year old want to go somewhere to sleep in during the morning, kick back in the afternoon and have fun at night.

Thank being said, I would consider trying a trip during the food and wine festival. It seems to attract more of an adult crowd to Epcot during the evenings and maybe that's more of what your friends are looking for. Talk up the waterparks and Downtown Disney as well. The truth is though, if someone doesn't want to go then they won't have a good time.

SBETigg
04-03-2013, 12:14 PM
I think you need to convert your friends. Madame Leona made a good point about the Food and Wine Festival-- that's a great time to go and might add a level of interest for some people your age. World Showcase is a draw for adults, anyway, I think-- shopping and dining and drinking around the world, plus entertainment.

The resorts also provide activities and things to attract visitors. It's not all about characters and rides. I had to convince my husband when we were first married and I did win him over. But also, I found some Disney friends here. There might be other people your age looking for travel mates. You never know.

LauraleeH
04-05-2013, 04:42 PM
My guess is your friends already know your obsession with Disney and they just don't care. At least that's the case with me, and I'm 25. I did try to convert my best friend, but she complained the whole time about how expensive everything was, and I paid for most of it!!!! It will ruin your trip (and possibly your friendship) if you try to convert someone who just doesn't want to be converted. Maybe check the Disney Facebook pages...it will show up there if any of your friends have liked them. Then start talking to them about Disney and see if they're interested in taking a trip with you. Good luck...I still have yet to find people my age that obsess and vacation like I do ;)

Scott C
04-05-2013, 04:57 PM
Well, trust me they are around. I own a retail shop and am amazed by the number of people with Disney Reward Cards. I think that most people are just not that vocal about it and for many of us Disney is a nostalgia thing and nostalgia is just not there for your generation yet. I shudder to think what your generation will be nostalgic for.

OTOH -- DS23 will supposedly be spending a few weeks in Austin training for his new job.........

Thanks
Scott C

Lacy
04-05-2013, 09:58 PM
I second LauraleeH's comment that you are better off finding friends who already are in to Disney than trying to convert friends that already know how much you like Disney and have never cared to join you. If they aren't excited about it beforehand they probably won't change the opinion once they are there and could make your trip much less enjoyable.

I don't have much advice - and I was even surprised at how many of the people in the college program weren't that into visiting the parks but I did meet my fair share of Disney fans through that program. And I have been fortunate that I have a DH that doesn't completely understand but still goes along and went with me a few number of times in my twenties. It is just a hard time to be a WDW trip taker at that age with the cost and other places friends would rather go.

taleasoldastime
04-06-2013, 12:22 AM
thank you everyone for your replies!

Scott C: your son will love it here in Austin! I fell in love with this city! There is some festival every week, there is barton springs to swim in, lady bird lake to kayak in or paddle board, lake travis to fish in, music every weekend, and tons of nice, pet friendly people. I find it hard to ever consider leaving!

Everyone else: I talked to my big brother about how I have been frusterated with how my friends have acted interested in going with me, then changed their mind, and he jumped at the opportunity to plan a trip with his wife, him, and I. He also got really excited and started talking about all the things we could do. So i guess I have learned, the only people who truly undersand me are my family, for right now. If any friends enter the picture and want to join, then thats awesome! As for now, my family gets me!

TheVBs
04-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Meeting other Disney people is like having a Magical Moment. They pop up at unexpected times. There are a couple of people here in town who I've discovered love going to Disney as much as we do. We don't plan trips together, we all go with our own families. But, it's still so much fun to come across someone who gets it when you're least expecting it. :mickey:

LauraleeH
04-07-2013, 01:09 AM
Everyone else: I talked to my big brother about how I have been frusterated with how my friends have acted interested in going with me, then changed their mind, and he jumped at the opportunity to plan a trip with his wife, him, and I. He also got really excited and started talking about all the things we could do. So i guess I have learned, the only people who truly undersand me are my family, for right now. If any friends enter the picture and want to join, then thats awesome! As for now, my family gets me!
That's awesome, and that's exactly where I'm at. Trips with my brother and his fiancee, and they are just as obsessed with Disney as I am. I just hold out hope that someday I'll find others that will want to go with me, and I'm sure you will too! :mickey:

lindique
04-07-2013, 06:32 PM
There are Internet groups (including INTERCOT) that plan occasional "Meets" - mostly in Disney World, but sometimes in major cities across the country. If you attend a "Meet", you will get to know many like-minded, wonderful people. I have made several good friends this way. :mickey:

Dewdrop034
04-12-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm lucky because my supervisor is a huge WDW fan, he must go every 6 months. I truly have no problem asking him for vacation time to go, he does get jealous though. It also seems I work with alot of people who've been turned on to Disney lately.

Main Street Jim
04-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Good way to find "Disney people"? Look at their vehicle<s> :)

I have noticed LOT of cars up here in Ohio with some type of Mickey antenna topper or the "Disney family" sticker things on their windows. I was at a gas station the other day, and there were other cars there as well. The guy next to me starts hoppin' around and whistling. I said to him, "Was that the Mickey Mouse Club song?" He says, "Yep, sure was!" and I pointed to the back window of our car with the "Disney family" stickers. We started chatting about the parks for like ten minutes.

Don't hesitate to talk to "Disney" people if you see this stuff and have the time to make conversation :mickey: :thumbsup:

LVT
04-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Maybe some connecting via your folks. I work with around 50 people. Non-disney people will do put downs, so the enthusiastic ones have to find each other to chat.
There are many 18-30 that are kids and cousins of these people who go to WDW often.
It was a surprise to me.
:number1:
My sons are grown and still go at 24/30. It is expensive, but fun for all ages.