PDA

View Full Version : CM dampening my magic

shev
04-02-2013, 06:37 PM
I wondered if anyone came across this and I hope this doesn't sound petty. On our trip last month to MK we were in the shop that sells all of beautiful glass and a CM was telling another CM about her terrible stomach flu she had. I know it was awful of me to ease drop but that shop is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. It just bummed me out a little and couldn't wait to get out of there. I love the illusion that nothing goes wrong in Disney and no one is ever sick and this just took me back to real life.

Main Street Jim
04-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Ehh...sorry to hear :(

When I was a CM, I tried not to talk to other CM's about "real-world" (outside of work) issues.

I *loved* what I did, and tried to keep it that way for my guests :)

buzznwoodysmom
04-02-2013, 08:58 PM
So sorry it took away some of the magic for you.

I try to remember that the CMs are only human. Now foul language, bashing of other CMs or Disney in general, and complaining about their job would bother me. Talking about getting over their illness wouldn't really bother me much unless they were going into graphic detail while checking me out or interacting with me in any way.

BrerGnat
04-03-2013, 08:18 AM
Yeah, it's hard to remember that this is just their job. People chat on the job. It's human nature, and besides, on an 8 hour shift, it's going to be very hard to never talk about "real world" stuff, never mind boring. I suppose those CMs were having that conversation due to the general lack of guests in the store at the time. I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing.

dnickels
04-03-2013, 08:32 AM
I don't think I'd let it bother me, as mentioned, they have real lives too and if you're there for 8+ hrs a day there's bound to be some conversations about real life stuff.

Remember too, that most of the CMs don't make much over minimum wage. At $9-10 an hr many of them don't have the ability to just take a day or several days off when they get sick without feeling it in the pocket book.

Main Street Jim
04-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Remember too, that most of the CMs don't make much over minimum wage. At $9-10 an hr many of them don't have the ability to just take a day or several days off when they get sick without feeling it in the pocket book.Didn't I *wish*...LOL...

Was there for almost ten years and wasn't making that much when I left in 2010....

:blush:

LauraleeH
04-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Honestly, this is going to sound bad so try not to think too poorly of me, but I dislike that anywhere! I just don't like hearing conversations like that from people at grocery stores, department stores, and definitely not restaurants. I know I'm just being silly about it, but sometimes I don't want to hear about what "so and so" said about "this and that," I just want you to politely help me with my purchase/meal! :blush:

SandmanGStefani24
04-05-2013, 04:41 PM
i know the feeling. last trip I walked into the Canada shop to look around, as looking in the shops is one of my favorite things to do. But when I walked in, some supervisor (im guessing) was conducting a strict inventory (which sounded almost like an audit or interrogation) with the Canadian staff. I wasn't acknowleged at any point, and eventually left because I felt like I was in the way. Worse, i could have easily stolen something as they were so worried about numbers to notice me. I felt like it was wrong of them to be doing that while open and was very unwelcoming. Hope nobody else had to deal with that, but I'm sure they did.

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Being a nurse, I don't think that particular conversation would bother me. After all, everyone gets sick now and then and I empathize. That said, I do get irritated about certain topics being discussed in front of customers in any store--i.e. what party everyone is going to after work, how bored they are at work, who is going out with who, etc. Usually this is because the clerk barely acknowledges me and favors talking to another employee over talking to me. Fortunately I have never had that experience at Disney World. Wish I could say the same about the clerks in my local Walmart and Target. :/

Melanie
04-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I got my real world dose of a CM way back when on my honeymoon. This is no joke - she was making fun of my outfit. I was mortified, and it put a pretty good damper on my day. Now granted, it was a sweatsuit (one of those 'swishy' ones) and looking back it WAS pretty hideous :blush:, but she was quite obvious about it. She was young, and no doubt thought it was cute to be talking like that in front of two other (male) CMs.

My point is, up until then, I thought CMs could do no wrong. I'd always had such amazing interactions with them, and that less than magical encounter reminded me that they are definitely only human.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-07-2013, 08:49 PM
I have a second job at a jewelry store and if we are talking about anything like that, I stop until the customer leaves the store. They don't need that much info about me!

SugarMagnolia
04-09-2013, 04:43 PM
I'm a total germaphobe and I would RUN from any store where an employee was talking about having a recent stomach flu! I also think that it's an unprofessional conversation to have in front of customers in any store, not just Disney.

DisneyDawgette
04-09-2013, 08:53 PM
Eh, it's not typically what people want to hear! But I try and remember that CM's are perfectly human and they have a life outside of their jobs. People can downplay retail jobs, but they're immense amounts of work, especially when your job entails you being chipper no matter your personal circumstances! Everyone has an off day- maybe it was that cast member's day. :)

I just delight in the fact that at WDW, it's not the standard, and is (almost) always the exception. :thumbsup:

MrPeetrie
04-10-2013, 10:37 AM
Honestly, this is going to sound bad so try not to think too poorly of me, but I dislike that anywhere! I just don't like hearing conversations like that from people at grocery stores, department stores, and definitely not restaurants. I know I'm just being silly about it, but sometimes I don't want to hear about what "so and so" said about "this and that," I just want you to politely help me with my purchase/meal! :blush:

LauraLeeH, I agree with you. I don't want to hear about anyone's personal issues when I'm there to spend my money. I think it's unprofessional. Unfortunately, it appears to be more and more prevalent.

DVC2004
04-10-2013, 10:42 AM
The only time I have been put off was actually at Disneyland, not World. I was in the restroom and 2 cleaning ladies were in there talking loudly about something and swearing. They knew I was there because I was standing right there washing my hands, but they did not care. They continued their loud converstaion and F bombs. That is unacceptable at amy place of employment if you ask me.

Other than that the occassional personal conversations don't phase me. I have encountered plenty of CM's over the years that were so nice and engaging. It happens. We're human.

Butters
04-10-2013, 02:07 PM
I've posted this once before but it's the only bad CM experience I've ever had.

My wife and I went to WDW for my 30th bday, I had my birthday pin on and walked by a CM outside of TS Island. He looked at me and made an innapropriate "innuando" about about what I may have gotten for my birthday...

It was a comment typical of a teen age boy and he probably thought he was joking around. (I would expect something g like that from one of my buddies at home). Either way it was way out of line for a CM. looking back on it I probably should have reported him in.

Cheshire_Girl
04-10-2013, 03:55 PM
I've posted this once before but it's the only bad CM experience I've ever had.

My wife and I went to WDW for my 30th bday, I had my birthday pin on and walked by a CM outside of TS Island. He looked at me and made an innapropriate "innuando" about about what I may have gotten for my birthday...

It was a comment typical of a teen age boy and he probably thought he was joking around. (I would expect something g like that from one of my buddies at home). Either way it was way out of line for a CM. looking back on it I probably should have reported him in.

Now, something like this would upset me...greatly! And I probably would have something to say about it
But CM's tallking about their life with their co-workers ... not at all. I talk to my co-workers. That's what you do at work. This is their daily life and honestly I can't believe someone would say that it ruined their trip by taking away the magic...
I would say the fellow guest that is yelling at their kid to speed up while pushing the empty stroller thru the blazing hot sun, or the guy that just called his wife a b,or the special needs kid that almost runs you down because he is over tired-yelling at his mom making a scene, and potentially dangerous takes away more of the magic than a CM telling her friend she had a stomach flu.

Cheshire_Girl
04-10-2013, 04:04 PM
LauraLeeH, I agree with you. I don't want to hear about anyone's personal issues when I'm there to spend my money. I think it's unprofessional. Unfortunately, it appears to be more and more prevalent.

This comment struck me..While I do not really want or need to hear their personal conversations-it's no big deal. It's a puiblic place and people talk to each other...But to say it's unprofessional insinuates that these are professionals.
I am not saying that CM's don't take their job seriously, they do. I have many more stories of awesome CM's than I do bad ones...But professional? really? they get paid minimum wage-They have to deal with more BS in a day than most of us deal with in a month on our jobs..Most of them will work there a summer, maybe two (at least the young ones, cuz lets be honest, this is not a career that is going to let you travel the world and retire early)
I think that people put too much of the reposnibility of their good trip on the CM's. It's not their responsibility to make sure you have a good vacation.

Quadstriker
04-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I wondered if anyone came across this and I hope this doesn't sound petty. On our trip last month to MK we were in the shop that sells all of beautiful glass and a CM was telling another CM about her terrible stomach flu she had. I know it was awful of me to ease drop but that shop is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. It just bummed me out a little and couldn't wait to get out of there. I love the illusion that nothing goes wrong in Disney and no one is ever sick and this just took me back to real life.

The CMs at Disney are the best you're going to find anywhere for the absolute **** money they make. Period.

MrPeetrie
04-10-2013, 05:36 PM
This comment struck me..While I do not really want or need to hear their personal conversations-it's no big deal. It's a puiblic place and people talk to each other...But to say it's unprofessional insinuates that these are professionals.
I am not saying that CM's don't take their job seriously, they do. I have many more stories of awesome CM's than I do bad ones...But professional? really? they get paid minimum wage-They have to deal with more BS in a day than most of us deal with in a month on our jobs..Most of them will work there a summer, maybe two (at least the young ones, cuz lets be honest, this is not a career that is going to let you travel the world and retire early)
I think that people put too much of the reposnibility of their good trip on the CM's. It's not their responsibility to make sure you have a good vacation.

My comment wasn't intended for CMs (i think they do an unbelievable job and have several posts commending them), but the workplace, in general.

shev
04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
But CM's tallking about their life with their co-workers ... not at all. I talk to my co-workers. That's what you do at work. This is their daily life and honestly I can't believe someone would say that it ruined their trip by taking away the magic...

I did not say it RUINED my trip...in fact it was amazing. I guess I always assumed that no matter what shop you went in to at MK the CMs working there were in character. Did not mean to imply that they were not wonderful at their job. I just don't like to hear details of a stomach flu (yuck)...no matter where I am.

kbean
04-16-2013, 05:59 AM
Parents and their brat kids ruin my trip. Oh but they have "ADD." No! Parnets dont know how to discipline anymore.

DVC2004
04-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Parents and their brat kids ruin my trip. Oh but they have "ADD." No! Parnets dont know how to discipline anymore.

You know, my son is autistic. Although he is older now, he had more issues when he was younger. Were there times he screamed, cried, didn't listen? Of course. I can assure you my parenting or discipline skills are not the problem. Please learn some tolerance. When you can walk in my shoes, or my son's shoes- then feel free to judge.

Mitzie
04-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Recently there was a piece on one of the morning talk shows where they went behind the scenes of the costume department at MK. It was very interesting to see how it all worked. They showed a clip of some CM's standing in line to "check out" their costume. What struck me was that the CM's looked like any person you would see standing in a check out line..they are just normal folks. Not sure what putting on that costume does but I know it made me remember that the magic isn't everywhere.

i'm grumpy
04-16-2013, 01:35 PM
I don’t know why people share the gory details. Just say you had a stomach bug.

dixielandings
04-30-2013, 01:02 PM
This is why my dream job would be to take over CM training at Disney Parks. It USED to be that you could expect nothing but perfection from them. They were considered performers - as their moniker, "cast member", would indicate. They're not "just employees" - they're part of a HUGE show. And yes, they absolutely ARE responsible for making sure I have a nice vacation, at least for the few minutes I'm in their shop or restroom or whatever.

I know they're only human, and I'm sorry the lady had been sick - it's not about being unsympathetic or expecting people to be superhuman. I think the expectations from inside the company have lessened for CMs, and therefore, they are not trained or motivated as they seem to have been in the past. They SHOULD make more money - or Disney should have a better hiring/screening process, to find people who really do want to play dress-up all day and entertain Guests, no matter what their role is.

Of course, I'm always wishing things could be better than they are...but isn't that as it should be? :blush:

SBETigg
04-30-2013, 01:32 PM
You weren't really eavesdropping if you were in a quiet store and people were having the conversation right in front of you. If they were trying to have a private conversation and you were struggling to hear, that would be one thing. And if their conversation bothered you then, it's on you. But this is a bit different, and not what I would call eavesdropping. You couldn't help hearing the conversation.

Two workers talking while I'm in the store, no big deal to me. As long as they greet me and also pay attention to my needs as a customer, they can chat while I browse. But maybe it was the subject matter that put you off? Unnecessary icky details? I'm not sure it would have bothered me at all. Unless they were inattentive, and then I would be annoyed. But still not to a point where it ruined the magic. I guess I have different expectations, and wouldn't really expect the store CMs to be "in character" at all. Which doesn't mean I don't expect courtesy and good service.

AmandaChan
05-01-2013, 07:17 AM
I mean honestly, no one wants to hear about ANYONE'S stomach flu be it at walt disney world or not!! I know this is silly but I can't wait until they spruce up DTD a little because that area that is down by cirque du soleil makes me feel like I am just at a strip at home and that whole area kind of bums me out a little.

MrPeetrie
05-04-2013, 08:53 AM
AmandaChan, I think I read somewhere (maybe here) about a massive expansion coming to Downtown Disney.

disneymom2000
05-04-2013, 10:56 PM
If they were ignoring me to discuss their issues or blatantly cussing then it would probably annoy me but just general talk is pretty much what everyone does at their jobs. I think they probably do a better job than most for the money they make.

Main Street Jim
05-05-2013, 02:57 AM
This is why my dream job would be to take over CM training at Disney Parks. It USED to be that you could expect nothing but perfection from them. They were considered performers - as their moniker, "cast member", would indicate. They're not "just employees" - they're part of a HUGE show. And yes, they absolutely ARE responsible for making sure I have a nice vacation, at least for the few minutes I'm in their shop or restroom or whatever.I tried. I really did. As a trainer myself, I *wanted* to - and did so - train my CM's in the correct "Disney way". But, once they passed their assessments, it all went out the window. Why, I *don't know*.

There's *so many* different levels of training for CM's - and the first level, "Traditions" - has kind of...well....gone downhill. Then, you have area training, getting them familiar with the "land" or resort or wherever they're going. Then you have attraction/location training, and when I did this, I tried to incorporate what I thought was the "Disney way" on top of the attraction training, so they wouldn't forget how to treat their guests. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

MNNHFLTX
05-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Just a thought--but shouldn't this be true of any job, not just at Disney World? When I walk into a restaurant/shop/office/hospital/etc. anywhere I would hope that every employee endeavors to provide the highest possible customer service (the "magic") to me, their customer. I think we can take our cue from the way it is *supposed* to be at Disney World and apply it to our own jobs. :)

Mrs Bus Driver
05-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Just a thought--but shouldn't this be true of any job, not just at Disney World? When I walk into a restaurant/shop/office/hospital/etc. anywhere I would hope that every employee endeavors to provide the highest possible customer service (the "magic") to me, their customer. I think we can take our cue from the way it is *supposed* to be at Disney World and apply it to our own jobs. :)

Agree, the employees are in customer service weather they work at Disney or not doesn't matter. The discussion should have taken place in the break room and not out on the floor where everyone could hear. And I know some can't afford to take a day off even when sick (been there done that) but still shouldn't be talking about it around customers. Then there are those who just like to complain for all to hear.

MNNHFLTX
05-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Agree, the employees are in customer service weather they work at Disney or not doesn't matter. The discussion should have taken place in the break room and not out on the floor where everyone could hear. And I know some can't afford to take a day off even when sick (been there done that) but still shouldn't be talking about it around customers. Then there are those who just like to complain for all to hear.I totally agree. At work I try to remember that I am a representative/ambassador of my place of employment and what I do and say is a reflection of that. Sometimes, though, I wonder if people think Disney cast members should operate at a higher standard than they do in their own jobs? Like I said, just a thought.

sportsguy2315
05-05-2013, 02:17 PM

It's kind of funny you mention this. Ironically, I'm currently writing a paper on how the lessons I learned while working at Disney can be applied to the healthcare field.

Terra
05-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Wow, this post is quite rude. Either you have no children or you have Messiah-like children. And in that case, please write a book for the rest of us! ;)

You know, my son is autistic. Although he is older now, he had more issues when he was younger. Were there times he screamed, cried, didn't listen? Of course. I can assure you my parenting or discipline skills are not the problem. Please learn some tolerance. When you can walk in my shoes, or my son's shoes- then feel free to judge.
Agree 100%. Have an ASD/ODD/Anxiety disorder, AND ADHD son, I totally understand. That AND taking kids out of their home routine in to a magical place that can be both amazing and over-stimulating can make any child, special needs or other wise, have a rough day!

And honestly you can't win. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. If it looks like I'm not doing anything, my children are called brats and I'm a bad parent. If I discipline with my choice of methods then surely I'm beating my child.

Posts like that make me not want to go anywhere :/

Back to the OP. Sorry it was tough for you. I think I must be good at tuning lots out! lol.

For me in all seriousness, it doesn't bother me at all. The only time it would is if I'm engaging with them, checking out or something similar and they are ignoring me and still talking [which I've not ever encountered at WDW!]

buzznwoodysmom
05-05-2013, 03:51 PM
And honestly you can't win. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. If it looks like I'm not doing anything, my children are called brats and I'm a bad parent. If I discipline with my choice of methods then surely I'm beating my child.

This made me laugh out loud. As sad as it is, it is so true these days!

SandmanGStefani24
05-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Wow, this post is quite rude. Either you have no children or you have Messiah-like children. And in that case, please write a book for the rest of us! ;)

people wanted to put labels on me and medicate me when i was a child. but mom was just plain tough and kept me in line. She didnt need to beat me, just be firm. Result? I wasn't the kid running around grabbing things off shelves, yelling and disturbing others, or throwing temper tantrums. To this day, I still thank Mom daily for keeping me in line when I see kids acting up or being disrespectful.

Either way...am I the only one who thinks this post has um...gone...

:offtopic: !!!!!!!!!!!

WDW Magic = Good
Politics and Parenting Critiques = Bad

:D

Terra
05-05-2013, 05:14 PM
This made me laugh out loud. As sad as it is, it is so true these days!
Right! :blush:

people wanted to put labels on me and medicate me when i was a child. but mom was just plain tough and kept me in line. She didnt need to beat me, just be firm. Result? I wasn't the kid running around grabbing things off shelves, yelling and disturbing others, or throwing temper tantrums. To this day, I still thank Mom daily for keeping me in line when I see kids acting up or being disrespectful.

Either way...am I the only one who thinks this post has um...gone...

:offtopic: !!!!!!!!!!!

WDW Magic = Good
Politics and Parenting Critiques = Bad

:D

And yet you did a parenting critique ;) Glad it worked for your mom ... Every child is so very different. A good point is to any of these topics in this thread....being in someone elses shoes before lumping them into a category.

Mrs Bus Driver
05-06-2013, 08:00 AM
As a former little bus driver I must say I have seen some so called normal adults throw some pretty good fits. Usually the ones that cry the loudest for discipline. I loved all my children and most days the bus ride was pretty smooth. But on those occasions when someone got upset often times the best reaction was no reaction, getting after them (discipline) often times would make it worse. At those times it was best to speak calmly or just give them there space until they could get themselves under control. The other kids on the bus were usually good about someones else fit. I was always amazed with how smart and understanding my kids were. In life I have found that no matter who I am dealing with a patience and a kind word go a long way. Most of the things I learned in life I learned on the little bus. :bus::mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
05-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Wow just saw all the typos in my post, sorry I was a little tired this morning :blush:

Terra
05-08-2013, 11:53 AM
As a former little bus driver I must say I have seen some so called normal adults throw some pretty good fits. Usually the ones that cry the loudest for discipline. I loved all my children and most days the bus ride was pretty smooth. But on those occasions when someone got upset often times the best reaction was no reaction, getting after them (discipline) often times would make it worse. At those times it was best to speak calmly or just give them there space until they could get themselves under control. The other kids on the bus were usually good about someones else fit. I was always amazed with how smart and understanding my kids were. In life I have found that no matter who I am dealing with a patience and a kind word go a long way. Most of the things I learned in life I learned on the little bus. :bus::mickey:

So true :) We never know what a person is facing, from tourist to CM!