PDA

View Full Version : River Country

Exo
04-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I just read a really neat posting about this guy and his friends that swam to River Country one night and explored and took pictures of the abandoned WDW island. I recommend reading it very cool what they found and how they did it.

SBETigg
04-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Swam to River Country? That's kind of nuts, isn't it? There's no swimming in that area for a reason now, plus at night? Also, you can access it by land, I think? I have seen blogs that show pictures of abandoned River Country, though, and it is neat to see and remember what it used to be (for those of us old enough to have enjoyed it in youth).

DizneyRox
04-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah, it's not really an island either, I think you can get to there from either Fort Wilderness or Wilderness Lodge (although I would imagine there might be some kind of gate with a lock associated with it) via the walkway between them.

medic9016
04-02-2013, 04:30 PM
I just read a really neat posting about this guy and his friends that swam to River Country one night and explored and took pictures of the abandoned WDW island. I recommend reading it very cool what they found and how they did it.

They swam across to Discovery Island from Fort Wilderness not River Country.

DVC2004
04-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Sounds dangerous either way. With the boat traffic. Even if the boats were done for the night there's still gators in that water. Yikes!

faline
04-02-2013, 06:56 PM
There is a YouTube video of someone who did swim over to Discovery Island and later posted videos of their expeditions there. I believe this same person also trespassed into River Country on another occasion and posted video of that as well. This individual has now been banned for life from Disney.

hoop de do
04-03-2013, 08:02 AM
The same person would have probably sued Disney if something bad had happened.
Not funny, cute or smart.
:twocents:

TinkerbellT421
04-03-2013, 08:09 AM
It makes me :sick: just thinking about the bacteria ridden waters. Three words....flesh, eating, bacteria. :ack: And not to mention, snakes, alligators, etc. Yea, like Hoop Dee Do said, not cute, funny or smart.

Tygger7
04-03-2013, 09:16 AM
I know this is slightly off-topic, but I still can't figure out why they still have the Iron Man Triatholon contestants swim in Bay Lake....of course, I don't know where else they could swim, but it still has the "ewwwwww" factor.

SBETigg
04-03-2013, 12:20 PM
I know this is slightly off-topic, but I still can't figure out why they still have the Iron Man Triatholon contestants swim in Bay Lake....of course, I don't know where else they could swim, but it still has the "ewwwwww" factor.

Swimming on the surface vs diving beneath the water is apparently less likely to stir up the amoeba that can cause death if ingested (or if it gets in your ears, nose, whatever). They can't allow swimming in general because it's too impossible to police what individuals will do in the water. But for triathlon events, they can be fairly certain that no one is taking the time to dive down to the bottom for anything so the risk is minimized. But still icky, I agree.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-07-2013, 09:44 PM
It makes me :sick: just thinking about the bacteria ridden waters. Three words....flesh, eating, bacteria. :ack: And not to mention, snakes, alligators, etc. Yea, like Hoop Dee Do said, not cute, funny or smart.

That was my thoughts as well. I don't want to see anything badly enough to risk that kind of factors! My first thought was "do they think the alligators are animatronics?"

Tekneek
04-08-2013, 08:55 AM
I'm certain that the individual(s) involved with that knew exactly what they were doing. People do this kind of adventuring everyday, going into off-limits areas in abandoned structures. They know the risks. There may be a few that are looking for chances to litigate, but I would expect that percentage to be much lower than the general population.