PDA

View Full Version : FastPass + Questions

MrPeetrie
03-31-2013, 01:35 PM
We won't be heading down for a while and when we do presumably the new FastPass + system will be fully implemented. So I have a few questions:

Will we have to book our FastPasses 180 days out like we do our ADRs? Or will we not have access until much closer?
Will we be able to mofify them from our Smartphones? I saw a Youtube demonstration where they showed a kiosk, which allowed for some modification. Will Smartphones with the My Disney Experience app do the same?
Are you "LOCKED" into a specific park. Let's say, for example, I made my FastPass + reservations for the Magic Kingdom days out. But the day before we're scheduled to go, we want to go to another park. Can we do that and still use FastPass + and modify our selections to reflect our choices for a different park?

I guess I'm trying to guage how rigid this system will be.

Maleficent's Dad
03-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Will we have to book our FastPasses 180 days out like we do our ADRs? Or will we not have access until much closer?
Will we be able to mofify them from our Smartphones? I saw a Youtube demonstration where they showed a kiosk, which allowed for some modification. Will Smartphones with the My Disney Experience app do the same?
Are you "LOCKED" into a specific park. Let's say, for example, I made my FastPass + reservations for the Magic Kingdom days out. But the day before we're scheduled to go, we want to go to another park. Can we do that and still use FastPass + and modify our selections to reflect our choices for a different park?

First off, Disney has not done a good job at all re FP+. They've been somewhat vague with details, and there seem to be a million glitches (as well as unforeseen problems) with their new system. Additionally, it wasn't thought through the way you would expect Disney to do so.... (AP fiasco for starters).
Here's the deal - NO ONE knows with certainty when Disney will fully implement this system. And at the rate they're going, who knows what the release date will be.
#1 Disney has publicly stated that FP+ will be available 90 days (3 months) in advance to those with valid FP+ enabled park passes. No word on whether or not Disney resort guests, AP holders, etc., will be given any priority.
#2 Yes - Disney has emphatically stated that web enabled devices will be able to access, modify, or change plans on the fly. It's one of the "selling points" by marketing...
#3 You'll be able to make changes "on the fly" with web enabled devices, so you're not locked into one park (keep in mind ADR reservation restrictions). However, you'll only be able to change & obtain new FP+'s once your current FP window is open. So let's say you have an 11 AM FP+ for Space Mt but you went to Epcot, you'll have to wait until 11 to attempt a FP+ in Epcot.

Disney has also stated they will limit the number of FP+'s per person, per day; the current rumor is 3 FP+'s per person daily, with only one headliner daily.

Problem is, Disney releases some info, ignores questions, and then "un-releases" stuff.

If you look around online, you'll find thousands of posts on the topic, and most express serious frustrations and confusion.
Basically, we're all waiting for the official word and roll out of this system.

LVT
03-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks, I think I got that:confused:

DizneyFreak2002
03-31-2013, 06:02 PM
We won't be heading down for a while and when we do presumably the new FastPass + system will be fully implemented. So I have a few questions:

I guess I'm trying to guage how rigid this system will be.

As MD has said, this roll out has been a major disaster (and horrible PR for Disney)... As to your questions, from reading around and talking to people this is what I have gathered (of course, Disney has been tweaking this as they go along so things may and probably will change)...

1. You should be able to book your FP+ 60 days in advance (on the new updated ToS)...

2. You will be able to access your information on the app... Tricky part is though, people on your reservation MAY be allowed to make changes without your knowledge or consent... So say you have 5 people joining you for a party of 6, you attach those guests to your reservation... Those people can log in and make changes...

3. Yes, you are tied to one park per day as far as FP+ goes... You cannot get FP+ for more than one park per day... So, if you get a FP+ for Soarin, your other two choices must be in Epcot... This will end or drastically change park hopping... You cannot get a FP+ for Soarin, Splash Mountain, and Tower of Terror...

Now, that does not mean you cannot visit two parks in one day... You just cannot obtain FP+ for the second park of choice...

Also, Disney has said only 3 FP+ a day, but in their recent ToS update, they removed that number, so not sure if they are reconsidering that or if it is just an oversight... The new ToS also state that FP+ will be used for restaurants where you have a set time and preordered meal...

Maleficent's Dad
03-31-2013, 06:30 PM
3. Yes, you are tied to one park per day as far as FP+ goes... You cannot get FP+ for more than one park per day... So, if you get a FP+ for Soarin, your other two choices must be in Epcot... This will end or drastically change park hopping... You cannot get a FP+ for Soarin, Splash Mountain, and Tower of Terror...

Also, Disney has said only 3 FP+ a day, but in their recent ToS update, they removed that number, so not sure if they are reconsidering that or if it is just an oversight... The new ToS also state that FP+ will be used for restaurants where you have a set time and preordered meal...
Thanks for clarifying! I'm typing on an iPad, no easy task and forgot the first point!

I wasn't aware of the "non-park hopper" issue...
Wowza, this FP+ seems like a headache!
:confused: :mad:M :(

DizneyFreak2002
03-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Thanks for clarifying! I'm typing on an iPad, no easy task and forgot the first point!

I wasn't aware of the "non-park hopper" issue...
Wowza, this FP+ seems like a headache!
:confused: :mad:M :(

Park hopping can still be done, but this will change the way people do it... May make it a major pain for people (this whole FP+ thing is a major pain as it is LOL)...

AgentC
03-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Park hopping can still be done, but this will change the way people do it... May make it a major pain for people (this whole FP+ thing is a major pain as it is LOL)...

I hadn't thought of this until I was reading this post, but I think for people who get to the park at rope drop and are planners , it could (maybe) work out good for hopping. I hop all the time but I don't often get fast pass at my second part if I go in the late afternoon because the popular ones are all gone or at a time I don't want.

Someone could conceivably get to a park at rope drop and ride most of the headliners before get too crowded then leave and hit a second park with good fast pass times.

Of course that assume that you get up early, plan your day in advance, and good fast pass times are available. :)

It would be really nice if they gave more details so we could all stop guessing.

MrPeetrie
03-31-2013, 09:19 PM
First, I want to thank Malifacent's Dad and DizneyFreak2002 for very detailed answers.

Regarding park hopping, since you can only utilize Fastpass+ in one park per day, could you use the traditional FastPass in another park if you chose to hop?

DizneyFreak2002
03-31-2013, 10:26 PM
First, I want to thank Malifacent's Dad and DizneyFreak2002 for very detailed answers.

Regarding park hopping, since you can only utilize Fastpass+ in one park per day, could you use the traditional FastPass in another park if you chose to hop?

The new update to the My magic app states when you turn in your paper ticket for the RFID card, you give up the usage of the current FP system... So in essence, it seems no, you cannot use the current FP... Once FP+ comes online, you will be using either the Magic Band or the RFID chip card...

Also, plans called for the current system to go away once the FP+ system is live... Makes sense since all guests will have plastic RFID cards/Bands and not paper tickets...

MickeysBestPal
03-31-2013, 11:30 PM
The new update to the My magic app states when you turn in your paper ticket for the RFID card, you give up the usage of the current FP system...

I don't think that it's the RFID card that will eliminate the conventional FP usage (as thousands of guests have are currently using plastic RFID cards in the conventional magnetic-scanning FP machines.)

But, once the FP+ program begins (sigh) and guests choose to use the new MyMagic+ wrist bands, those trinkets cannot access the conventional magnetic-scanning FP machines at all.

If guests so choose to NOT use the MyMagic+ wrist bands in favor of the flat RFID tickets (for awhile, at least) I believe that those guests can CHOOSE to use -EITHER- the current FP machines -OR- use the new FP+ (but, not both.)

Also, once FP+ is chosen, they can no longer use the current FP machines, but only make FP+ choices.

(Or, this could all get modified in the next 2 hours.) ;)

DizneyFreak2002
04-01-2013, 12:15 AM
I don't think that it's the RFID card that will eliminate the conventional FP usage (as thousands of guests have are currently using plastic RFID cards in the conventional magnetic-scanning FP machines.)

But, once the FP+ program begins (sigh) and guests choose to use the new MyMagic+ wrist bands, those trinkets cannot access the conventional magnetic-scanning FP machines at all.

If guests so choose to NOT use the MyMagic+ wrist bands in favor of the flat RFID tickets (for awhile, at least) I believe that those guests can CHOOSE to use -EITHER- the current FP machines -OR- use the new FP+ (but, not both.)

Also, once FP+ is chosen, they can no longer use the current FP machines, but only make FP+ choices.

(Or, this could all get modified in the next 2 hours.) ;)

Ya know, I forgot about that... Yea, what you posted makes sense...

Oh, and it things just changed... Wait, they changed again.. LOL.. Oh never mind!!! :)

04-01-2013, 06:02 AM

The current RFID ticketing (green & KTTW cards) also have magnetic data on them in addition to RFID. They will work in both the touch-point entries and the legacy turnstiles. Therefore, they will, or at least should, currently work in the legacy FP dispensers. I didn't worked any FP the last 3 or 4 weeks so I can't comment any further on RFID/FP than this. Did work both entry systems and green & KTTW cards would work in old and new entries.

WhiteRose1
04-01-2013, 09:02 AM
I know there are lots of people who are concerned about something that has not gone live yet, and for all we know could drastically change again before it goes live.

I am excited for change, and always have been. Maybe the reason it has not gone live yet is bcause there are things still being worked out?

Maybe we need not scream "The sky is falling!" till we know, indeed, it is?

MickeysBestPal
04-01-2013, 09:50 AM
I know there are lots of people who are concerned about something that has not gone live yet, and for all we know could drastically change again before it goes live.

I am excited for change, and always have been. Maybe the reason it has not gone live yet is bcause there are things still being worked out?

Maybe we need not scream "The sky is falling!" till we know, indeed, it is?

The problem is, we know how well FP has worked for over a decade.

Now, they have already instituted one fundamental change (return window enforcement) that has affected this process by reducing flexibility.
And, another (added FP positions per day) that has slowed both FP and Standby lines.

PLUS, they have already published other info (and made announcements) regarding more changes that downwardly limit the system.

PLUS, they have rolled out certain aspects of the RFID system, and that system has been fraught with unanticipated problems.

PLUS, they have released the new WDW website that is inexorably intertwined with the new FP+ (and other reservations) systems.
The site has been glitchy and problematic every single day since it was launched.

We are seeing and actually experiencing some early aspects of the roll-out.
We are not amused.

Davy Crockett
04-01-2013, 11:29 AM
I've been combing the web looking for additional information concerning the FP+ over the past week and one element I don't see being discussed in prior posts are that at least for the initial launch this will ONLY be available to On-property / resort guests. So no matter what data transition system like the MyMagic+ they have at that time the traditional FP will still be in place, at least for the initial launch. Another piece of information I've come across is FP+ for AP holders. They are saying that Disney will "grant" 20 FP+'s per quarter and they cannot be rolled over. I cannot find where this number has been verified though and I'm sure it will change like everything else related to this roll out / migration. One last rumor nugget being tossed out is that yes everyone staying on property will receive 3 FP+ per day, BUT guest staying at deluxe resorts my receive more than 3 per day. I can't wait to see what floats by next...

MickeysBestPal
04-01-2013, 12:58 PM
The 20 AP FP per quarter was being promulgated by a Disney site Troll, just to stir the pot.

DizneyFreak2002
04-01-2013, 06:36 PM
I've been combing the web looking for additional information concerning the FP+ over the past week and one element I don't see being discussed in prior posts are that at least for the initial launch this will ONLY be available to On-property / resort guests. So no matter what data transition system like the MyMagic+ they have at that time the traditional FP will still be in place, at least for the initial launch. Another piece of information I've come across is FP+ for AP holders. They are saying that Disney will "grant" 20 FP+'s per quarter and they cannot be rolled over. I cannot find where this number has been verified though and I'm sure it will change like everything else related to this roll out / migration. One last rumor nugget being tossed out is that yes everyone staying on property will receive 3 FP+ per day, BUT guest staying at deluxe resorts my receive more than 3 per day. I can't wait to see what floats by next...

You are right... There have been a lot of "rumors" that have floated out there in the fan universe... Some of them were, in my opinion, ideas that Disney planted out there to gauge reactions... Tell you, most of this has received very negative feedback... The only positive most agree on if the band/RFID card is an upgrade over the paper ticket... Other than that, I'd say it is split 50/50 with FP+, with the biggest complaints being having to book attraction times 60 days out...

MickeysBestPal is right... That 20 FP+ number is wrong... Disney has said 3 per day... Doesn't mean 3 will be the final number as they are tweaking things with this all the time... But 20? No way... you can't even get 20 FPs now... There is no way they will allow you 20 FP+...

As for the resort category, it was once floated out there that FP+ would be a free benefit to deluxe guests only... If you were in a moderate, you would have to pay one price, and a value would have to pay more just for the right to use FP+... That talk seems to have died down now, especially since Disney did say this service would be free to resort guests... I can, however, see them, some time in the future, making off site guests pay for the service...

Personally,I still think this is a major waste of $1.5 billion (some people say closer to $2.0 billion now)... The current system is just fine... Didn't need to fix something that wasn't broken... They things that are broken though, they don't fix... Which is another reason I think you see a lot of online fans complaining about NextGen...

PLUS, they have released the new WDW website that is inexorably intertwined with the new FP+ (and other reservations) systems.
The site has been glitchy and problematic every single day since it was launched.

Funny you say that... Want to talk major glitch? I'm sure you have read/heard and are aware that people who have tied their reservations to the My Magic+ app have been logging on and finding OTHER PEOPLE'S information, not theirs... They would see someone else's reservation number, guest names, address, and yes even credit card numbers... Along with this major security/breach of personal data issue, you were able to change that person's reservations... Now, how scary is that?

WhiteRose1
04-02-2013, 08:54 PM
The problem is, we know how well FP has worked for over a decade.

Now, they have already instituted one fundamental change (return window enforcement) that has affected this process by reducing flexibility.
And, another (added FP positions per day) that has slowed both FP and Standby lines.

PLUS, they have already published other info (and made announcements) regarding more changes that downwardly limit the system.

PLUS, they have rolled out certain aspects of the RFID system, and that system has been fraught with unanticipated problems.

We are seeing and actually experiencing some early aspects of the roll-out.
We are not amused.

Fastpasses only worked for those who came into the parks early. people who came into the parks later got the scraps.

The fastpass return time debate is an old one, but I am a believer that if the ticket says come back between x and y, you do it..I do not need Disney Police to force me to do it, I just followed the rules. I'm glad they are telling people 'no, you can not break the rules'...to me that is not rally a change, cause I followed the rules. (call me crazy!)

Added FP positions? You mean added more places FP can be used?

I have seen so many rumors circling...the 20 quarterly FP rumor or the 3 per day thing? I have been trying to find anything from Disney that says that, but it's not live yet...and I must be looking in the wrong place.

These rumors are just making people more and more upset about something that has not happened yet.

I keep reading that supposedly anyone who has a RFID card can not use FP. My dad was actually in WDW in late Feb and got Fastpasses (he had a RFID!) . People keep posting somethig that says once someone exchanges a paper ticket for a RFID card that regular fastpass won't work.

Yes I read that there were long lines...and that the CMs do not know how to use RFID or that people tried to buy things and the card was cranky...No matter how many tests you do before something goes live, there will he challenges!

Basically I'm tired of reading all the doom and glood and complaints and negativity. Can't someone be the voice of positive and say...

Let's wait and see once EVERYTHING is up and running? Transisiton times are always tough.

I'm sure this exact type of conversation happened when fastpasses started...or when the park changed to an entry fee rather than Etickets...but we did not have the internet to share our complaints back then...!

I get it.

it's hooooorrrrriiiibllllee.. the wooorld is chaaaanging! Nooooooo!.

I'm sorry but I think the old disney site kinda stunk. I never used it, and went to places that had actual specific informatioa nd allowed me to plan my trip.

:blush: hands the soapbox off to someone else.

Davy Crockett
04-03-2013, 11:12 AM
A little trivial knowledge / lore on why there is a FP to begin with.
Disney did an extensive study (Hummm very similar to FP+ right now) and found that people that utilized the FP system stayed in the parks longer and SPENT MORE MONEY.... it was never about a better park experience or convenience to the guest. So I'm very sure that the data collected so far is being scrutinized by vast teams of data miners, statisticians, accountants, actuaries and physicists (last one is me just being funny) to determine the best way for this device to benefit the bottom line of Disney and as an ancillary benefit to park guest.
As Paul Harvey used to say - "And now you know the rest of the story"

ANG
04-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Wow, how incredibly confusing! Just when I think I know how to plan for our WDW vacation there is something completely new. I knew it was coming, but wow.

FLKatie912
04-04-2013, 12:30 AM
Wow, how incredibly confusing! Just when I think I know how to plan for our WDW vacation there is something completely new. I knew it was coming, but wow.

What's funny is that we as Disney fans take our expertise for granted. I can guarantee that Park Hopping, ticket purchases, and the DDP are equally as confusing to a first time Guest. :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
04-04-2013, 09:48 AM
A little trivial knowledge / lore on why there is a FP to begin with.
Disney did an extensive study (Hummm very similar to FP+ right now) and found that people that utilized the FP system stayed in the parks longer and SPENT MORE MONEY.... it was never about a better park experience or convenience to the guest. So I'm very sure that the data collected so far is being scrutinized by vast teams of data miners, statisticians, accountants, actuaries and physicists (last one is me just being funny) to determine the best way for this device to benefit the bottom line of Disney and as an ancillary benefit to park guest.
As Paul Harvey used to say - "And now you know the rest of the story"
Totally agree, and if it makes a better experience for me and mine I am all for Disney making a profit. BTW I miss Paul Harvey, what a great story teller :mickey:

Davy Crockett
04-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Totally agree, and if it makes a better experience for me and mine I am all for Disney making a profit. BTW I miss Paul Harvey, what a great story teller :mickey:

I know this is off topic, but I miss listening to his broadcasts also. Have you seen the car commercial that utilizes his monologue on the American Farmer.... LOVE THAT ONE!!!

Now back on topic. I agree on the profit thing as well as without that there would be NO DISNEY to travel to and enjoy.

Tekneek
04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Funny you say that... Want to talk major glitch? I'm sure you have read/heard and are aware that people who have tied their reservations to the My Magic+ app have been logging on and finding OTHER PEOPLE'S information, not theirs... They would see someone else's reservation number, guest names, address, and yes even credit card numbers... Along with this major security/breach of personal data issue, you were able to change that person's reservations... Now, how scary is that?

This is the first I have seen of this. Disney could be in violation of breach reporting laws if they have not reported these incidents.

vamaggie
04-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Here's a question: I don't have a smart phone and nothing that supports "apps". How is the FP+ gonna work for me? I know nothing has really been released yet but I just want to ride the rides!!!! :)

FLKatie912
04-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Here's a question: I don't have a smart phone and nothing that supports "apps". How is the FP+ gonna work for me? I know nothing has really been released yet but I just want to ride the rides!!!! :)

For a while, they will have both the "old" FP kiosks and the new ones. Eventually, they will have new kiosks in which will allow Guests to change or select their FP for all FP attractions from one single location instead of having to run all over the parks. If you do not have an app or choose to not use it you will head to a kiosk which will work just like the app.

MickeysBestPal
04-05-2013, 07:42 AM
If you do not have an app or choose to not use it you will head to a kiosk which will work just like the app.

Just look for a location with a long serpentine line, moving at a snail's pace... with no ride at the end.

;)

Davy Crockett
04-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Just look for a location with a long serpentine line, moving at a snail's pace... with no ride at the end.

;)

FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But True

CuteAsMinnie
04-07-2013, 11:49 AM

;)

...or sad, but true.
:sick:

FLKatie912
04-07-2013, 05:11 PM

;)

Perhaps! I guess it's encouragement to use your smartphone for those that have it. I have stood in some pretty lengthy chaotic lines for FP in the morning rushes. :)

joonyer
04-08-2013, 03:29 PM

;)

No problem; I'm sure once the system is up and running, and the old FP machines are taken out of service, Disney will be renting Smartphones to guests that don't have their own, especially once they realize how much more $$$ they can make. ;)

eandrsmom
04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
Wow, not to mention that there are some areas in the parks where I have trouble getting cell phone service. I hope we can utilize the old system this summer, so I don't have to deal with the new system until the kinks are worked out.

DizneyFreak2002
04-08-2013, 04:17 PM
This is the first I have seen of this. Disney could be in violation of breach reporting laws if they have not reported these incidents.

Tek, I wish I could tell you how wide spread the issue was, but sadly I can't... Several people on other fan sites have posted how this happened to them and Disney had no answer for them when called about the issue... But even if it was not a widespread issue, 10 affected people are too much... Haven't heard about this problem happening in the last month so hopefully they figured out the code which was causing this and fixed it...

Wow, not to mention that there are some areas in the parks where I have trouble getting cell phone service. I hope we can utilize the old system this summer, so I don't have to deal with the new system until the kinks are worked out.

The current system (old system) will be in place for a while... The FP+ testing has been a disaster (and have failed many tests) and the itinerary portion of MyMagic+ has failed testing (even for some Burbank bigwigs who were out in WDW within the last few months testing things)... The only thing they seem to have working are the RFID readers... And even they, I read and hear, are causing issues (not making entering the park any quicker as promised)...

stephicakes
04-08-2013, 04:25 PM
No problem; I'm sure once the system is up and running, and the old FP machines are taken out of service, Disney will be renting Smartphones to guests that don't have their own, especially once they realize how much more $$$ they can make. ;)

No kidding! Not too mention the demand for Disney's VIP Tour Service should be on the rise too - all these changes will be totally overwhelming and stressful for first-timers or those who haven't been there in quite a few years. I'm sure Disney is expecting this and will be glad to make $$$ in that area as well... :secret:

04-08-2013, 05:31 PM
The FP+ testing has been a disaster (and have failed many tests) and the itinerary portion of MyMagic+ has failed testing (even for some Burbank bigwigs who were out in WDW within the last few months testing things)...

Would like to know the source of this information.

CuteAsMinnie
04-08-2013, 07:15 PM

:thumbsup:

TheVBs
04-09-2013, 07:53 AM
I'm just curious about something. Why would FP+ and FP need to be mutually exclusive? It would make sense to me if FP+ were available to, say, resort guests (nobody flame me please, not trying to leave anyone out, just an example). You're able to book a couple in advance and then are able to use the regular FP system once your window opens up again. Wouldn't this make more sense?

Tekneek
04-09-2013, 10:29 AM
You're able to book a couple in advance and then are able to use the regular FP system once your window opens up again. Wouldn't this make more sense?

Currently, the system is not setup to be used in that way. I imagine they could do that if they wanted to, but that has not been the plan. They want to get rid of the FP stations, and the madness associated with that, and move to a solution in the cloud that doesn't care what your specific location is at the moment.

kcrc
04-09-2013, 10:36 AM
It seems that the FP+ is designed more for the person who is booking a vacation etc at Disney. For example, this summer we will be coming to FL but we are doing universal this year (haven't done them in a loonnnnngggg time). But, we will be spending one day at Disney. I am not picking up my tickets until we get down there. So, should FP+ be in full swing by then, I still wouldn't be able to book my fast passes, right? Until I had my ticket in hand?

TheVBs
04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Currently, the system is not setup to be used in that way. I imagine they could do that if they wanted to, but that has not been the plan. They want to get rid of the FP stations, and the madness associated with that, and move to a solution in the cloud that doesn't care what your specific location is at the moment.

I get that they're currently saying that you will only be able to use one or the other. I was just trying to figure out why they would set it up that way.

I know there's a lot of speculation about them completely doing away with the current FP system (is this still unconfirmed?). I just couldn't figure out why they'd want to do that. I didn't realize that the stations were problematic, but that could be because we always visit during "slow" periods and rarely use FP. So it sounds like I'm missing something about problems with the stations?

Tekneek
04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
So it sounds like I'm missing something about problems with the stations?

The biggest problem is that there is no way to recover unused FPs. It's a one way system and there is no way to feed any back in. They are trying to address that with FP+ by being able to manage it on the backend.

The current FP system is kind of a "dumb" system. It spits out passes and increments the return times as more come out. There is no way to alter it or manage it beyond that.

DizneyFreak2002
04-09-2013, 03:49 PM
I get that they're currently saying that you will only be able to use one or the other. I was just trying to figure out why they would set it up that way.

I know there's a lot of speculation about them completely doing away with the current FP system (is this still unconfirmed?). I just couldn't figure out why they'd want to do that. I didn't realize that the stations were problematic, but that could be because we always visit during "slow" periods and rarely use FP. So it sounds like I'm missing something about problems with the stations?

The current FP going away has not be officially confirmed by Disney, but people who have spoken to those involved have stated FP as we know it is scheduled to go away... How soon after FP+ comes online? No idea... And for all we know, this may be one of the tweeks that always changes as testing continues...

Pure speculating on my part but, I can see them giving FP+ to Disney resort guests and leaving guests who stay off property out in the cold... why? Easy... Stay on site, pay Disney's high prices for hotel rooms, get FP+.. Stay offsite, stay in a room just as nice (or nicer) for a lot less than Disney prices and deal with increasing wait times for attractions, food, etc...

Remember, WDW's numbers aren't at the level they want them... People are staying off site more and more... How better to inflate your numbers than to make non-resort guests trips to your theme parks a little less magical? Will it work? Doubtful... But again, this is purely speculation on my part... I am only talking about FP+ not NextGen in general...

eandrsmom
04-10-2013, 11:03 PM
We are guests that no longer stay on property. We used to stay onsite all the time, but as our family grew, it really wasn't practical for the cost. Room costs are ridiculous compared to what they were ten years ago. Unfortunately, I see Disney going in the direction of Universal in regard to their Fastpass system.

DisneyDawgette
04-10-2013, 11:37 PM
Pure speculating on my part but, I can see them giving FP+ to Disney resort guests and leaving guests who stay off property out in the cold... why? Easy... Stay on site, pay Disney's high prices for hotel rooms, get FP+.. Stay offsite, stay in a room just as nice (or nicer) for a lot less than Disney prices and deal with increasing wait times for attractions, food, etc...

To be fair, unless you're staying at a Deluxe (by choice!) then there is not this HUGE discrepancy in hotel prices. A moderate or value on property and most of the surrounding hotels have run about the same in times that we have gone.

It wouldn't surprise me if they try it out on the property guests first, but you could also make the case that by doing so, they are giving their current completely WDW vacationer's first run of the new system. I see no problem with that. If I'm going to completely immerse myself in Disney and pay them to do so, then why not? And I'm sure that off-property people wouldn't be "left out in the cold"... Like you said, a lot of people stay off property. To give them no chance of attaining a FP is going to anger them and hurt numbers even more.

I'm sure they'll figure something out. Personally, I choose to remain a glass-half-full person, hopeful that they find a way to make FP+ and the original FP system coexist. That way guests would have the option, even if that means splitting the number of FP's between the two systems. Then, if someone missed out on that FP they were looking forward to with the FP+ system, then there will be hope of getting it in the park! Just my :twocents: