PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland parks handicap accessible?

apequet
03-31-2013, 10:05 AM
Hi all! I have a friend who needs some clarification for her handicapped son. Is there a special fast pass that allows them to skip thru standing in line? Her son walks with crutches and is unable to stand for long periods of time. He'll be getting around in a wheelchair, but he is capable of standing on his own with help from his crutches. She said at WDW many many years ago, they were able to skip lines because of him? They plan on expecting this process again? Is this true and is there rides that aren't handicapped accessible? He really wants to do the Nemo sub ride, but I wasn't sure if that was even possible with his handicap? Help! They are going April 10th.

Disney4us2
03-31-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi, I also can't stand for long periods of time. I use my ECV to get around Disneyland and DCA. Disneyland was built before ADA and California Adventure was after.

Disneyland will have special entrances for wheelchairs and ECV''s. Most are through the exit of the attraction.

Nemo Subs: There are stairs to navigate and may be hard with crutches. They have a special area for viewing the attraction without going on the actual sub. It is called the "outback". I have been in there and it is great. There are two benches to sit on and view the ride. It is an actual film of the ride taken from the subs,

Space Mountain: Enter through the exit for a H/C car. Do this early the line get VERY long.

Haunted Mansion: He can leave the wheelchair outside or take it in. I take my ecv in with me. The wait can be longer since they only allow 2 chairs/ecv's at a time. If he can manage the hallway and exit moving ramp up, there is no need to take the chair down. They will slow the moving walk for him to board.

All of DCA"s(California Adventure) queue lines are wheelchair accessible. There are stairs at a few attractions.

Stop by either City Hall at Disneyland or Chamber of Comerce at DCA to inquire about a GAC for the stairs stamp. That will alert the CM's about a special assistance. There are no GAC's to bypass the lines. Everyone waits, some in a different area than the mainstream line. In fact you may have to wait longer in the handicap/GAC line. They will also give you a wheelchair accessible line guide for both parks. If they don't, ask for it. If he has other invisible or hidden disabilities, he can discuss his needs with the CM.

Sorry to so long winded. I do this about twice a month, if not more sometimes. Hopefully some of the spring break crowd will be gone by the time he goes. I am staying away from the parks because of the crowds.,

apequet
04-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Oh thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to explain things. I will send her your message, it was very helpful!