PDA

View Full Version : Quick Service Dining, Table Service, Or Out of Pocket

2disneyfans
03-29-2013, 06:34 AM
We're staying at a value resort for our first time. In the past,we have always done the regular dining plan with table service.

We are trying to figure out if the QS plan is worth it? We were considering using a gift card to pay as we go instead of any dining plan. However, we did love the regular dining plan, but are looking to cut back on costs. We are a family of 4 and have DS 4 and DS 2.

faline
03-29-2013, 07:26 AM
You should run the numbers for your family as best as you can. On one trip when "free dining" was being offered, we tracked what the trip would have cost us had we booked a package including the offered "free dining" and what we paid out of pocket for room only though we did have the advantage of having a Tables in Wonderland card. We came out ahead by paying out of pocket and we dined as we pleased.

Strmchsr
03-29-2013, 07:48 AM
:ditto: We've always come out ahead OOP, but I realize there are some who manage to get value out of the DDP. Financially, I think the vast majority of people come out some, if not a lot, ahead with OOP. Most folks who choose the DDP now do so for the convenience of having meals pre-paid not because it's a better value.

BrerGnat
03-29-2013, 08:52 AM
The QS plan is REALLY very close to the actual price for the items if you were to buy them OOP. The savings is minimal.

The thing is, would you really buy a refillable mug for everyone in your party? Would you really get dessert with every quick service meal? Would you really always want a "combo meal"? What if you just wanted a salad and a cup of water? What if you want some fruit (maybe $2) instead of a $4 snack?

You will almost always either break even or come out ahead by paying OOP and buying only the items you will actually eat.

Using a gift card is a good way to "prepay". And, you can avoid the whole "is this a snack on the dining plan" confusion as well. ;)

JRocker
03-29-2013, 01:24 PM
If you aren't a big eater, you come out ahead when you pay out of pocket.

If you like to live large and eat everything a DDP provides, then the plan may be the way to go.

My family seldom eats desert, and it is even more rare for us to eat it with a meal. So there's a few bucks saved with the quick service.

Add the fact that we rarely eat an appetizer, the cost savings is even larger for the table service.

And, on most occasions we only eat two meals a day when we are at the parks.

DDP is not worth it for my family, but like others have said, you really have to sit down and do the numbers yourself. I believe the Disney website now has all of the dining menu's available for you to browse (when the site is functional). Check them out and mock up a days worth of meals that you would eat if you paid out of pocket.

mdricks
03-29-2013, 01:49 PM
I'm done with DDP. OOP is always a better value for my family.

Last time we had DDP we missed one meal due to sickness and ended up loosing money vs. eating the same foods OOP. Add to it that OOP we would not have eaten as much and, as a result, our food costs would have been even lower.

I'm swiftly coming to the conclusion that DDP is a rope-a-dope.

:number1:

Tekneek
03-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Rarely does the DDP make financial sense. You can find calculators out on the web that will help you figure out if it is worth it to you. We found that we wasted food and wasted time, which meant we ultimately wasted money.

faline
03-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Intercot offers a tool here. (http://intercot.com/infocentral/dining/diningplan/estimator.asp)

1DisneyNut
03-29-2013, 07:12 PM
We always pay out of pocket, eat wherever we want whenever we want and never even come close to what the dining plan costs.

On another note, I don't understand the gift card thing for dining. What is the point?

Fangorn
03-29-2013, 08:52 PM
On another note, I don't understand the gift card thing for dining. What is the point?

I don't get it either, personally, but I know folks for whom it makes sense. The gift card option is useful for some people to take away the psychological sting of paying for their dining. For some, it's difficult to actually choose the food they'd like knowing that they have to either pull cash out or use their credit card (plus the whole "I don't want to take cash/credit cards into the parks" thing.) A gift card at least means the money has been set aside for a specific purpose.

This method works really well for my son in law, who would second guess every item at every meal (and never try anything new) if he had to actually use his credit card. Using a gift card just doesn't have the same affect on him.

Steve

Kairi_7378
03-29-2013, 11:07 PM
You're going to get answers all over the board on this issue. It really depends on how you and your family eat. However, if you are going to worry about whether or not you are getting "value" out of the DDP, it may be better to not use it.

Tekneek
03-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Biggest reason to use gift cards is if you are able to get a deal on some. Sometimes people are able to get gift cards at less than the dollar value of the card (saving 5% or more). Always a good idea.