PDA

View Full Version : Flying Fish

mdricks
03-28-2013, 01:00 PM
We are a party of 4 friends on a boys-weekend we take every year. We normally go to Fulton's for stone crabs at least once per trip. We are going to be too early for stone season this year :( and will be staying in the EPCOT resort area so thinking of making a change.

We go on this trip to unwind and the journey typically centers around food and beverage. We have no problem spending top cash if the experience is worth it. Fresh seafood and good wine list

So compared to Fulton's and Narcosseess (love both) how does Flying Fish compare?

:number1:

SBETigg
03-28-2013, 01:02 PM
I love Narcoossee's for the atmosphere, but foodwise, Flying Fish is better. Haven't been to Fulton's. We really like Flying Fish, and it's even better if you can get a chef's table seating.

mdricks
03-28-2013, 01:11 PM
I love Narcoossee's for the atmosphere, but foodwise, Flying Fish is better. Haven't been to Fulton's. We really like Flying Fish, and it's even better if you can get a chef's table seating.

Thats a glowing recomendation given the food quality at Narcoossee's!

Is the chefs table a true chef's table experience or is it a glorified prix fixe?

thanks!

BrerGnat
03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
IF seafood is what you're after, and you'll be in the Epcot resort area, you should definitely head to Bluzoo at the Dolphin. It's a celebrity chef restaurant, by Todd English. Do a search for it online. You can read about it and see their menu.

They have some amazingly intriguing cocktails, including one flavored like Bazooka bubble gum.

The place is very good, IMO, well above any of Disney's "Signature" dining experiences (except maybe V&A's). It's pricey, but worth it. Seafood is their specialty.

mdricks
03-28-2013, 01:24 PM
IF seafood is what you're after, and you'll be in the Epcot resort area, you should definitely head to Bluzoo at the Dolphin.

Hadnt thought of that. I will have to take a look. Thanks!

awaggett
03-28-2013, 02:33 PM
I've been to both Flying Fish and Bluezoo--both are great and two of my favorites at Disney. I've done both on girl's trips to Disney--Bluezoo has more fun drinks and "crazy" items--it is more of a "foodie" place.

MinnieMal
03-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi mdricks - really think you are going to like staying at BC. I've stayed there several times and love it!

Have eaten at FF and at Fulton's and would gladly go back to either one. The FF meal was excellent; probably one of the best meals of the trip that year. The suggestions for Bluezoo sound good too - well worth looking into each option. You will probably also be walking by the Cape May clam bake buffet at BC; I've been there a couple of times, and while they do have crab legs:crab:, peel and eat shrimp and chowder, I wasn't overly pleased on my last visit there; but maybe others can give their input. (ps - and it doesn't sound like this is probably the type of 'dining experience' ?!! you are probably opting for - this is definitely buffet).

If you guys are in the mood for a good burger - I'd recommend heading to Beaches and Cream; they also have (IMO) the absolute best onion rings in the world. If you have room for dessert, you can opt for their Kitchen Sink! 20 scoops of ice cream, every topping in the house, and then a full can of Redi Whip!

And, the small pub next to the Yachtsman Steak House (Captain's Cup, or Crew's Cup?) is a great little, out of the way place. The decor resembles the inside of an old wooden ship.:sail:

I really think you guys are going to enjoy staying at BC - the pool has a sand bottom which feels great on tired feet. ENJOY!!! (two weeks for me - woooooooo - hoooooooo!)

SBETigg
03-28-2013, 04:43 PM
IF seafood is what you're after, and you'll be in the Epcot resort area, you should definitely head to Bluzoo at the Dolphin. It's a celebrity chef restaurant, by Todd English. Do a search for it online. You can read about it and see their menu.

They have some amazingly intriguing cocktails, including one flavored like Bazooka bubble gum.

The place is very good, IMO, well above any of Disney's "Signature" dining experiences (except maybe V&A's). It's pricey, but worth it. Seafood is their specialty.

I just went to a conference at the Dolphin, actually, and I recommended BlueZoo to quite a few people because I had heard raves about it here (mostly from Natalie). I didn't eat there (not a conference attendee, just a tagalong) but no one was impressed by it. Over twenty people of our acquaintance ended up there, and not one of them had much good to say. On the other hand, the people who went to Il Mulino were raving about it. Raving. I thought it was odd. I expected Il Mulino to be just meh and the BlueZoo people to be the ones bowled over. Not so.

Given that reaction, and the fact that I have been very underwhelmed by Todd English's Tuscany in my area, I would stick to Flying Fish. The chef's table is actually overlooking the kitchen, attended by the chef, but there might be a new prix fixe experience they are calling Chef's Table as well, because the Chef's Table as I recall only seats about four. But I'm sure BlueZoo must be much better than the feedback from this particular group. I'll blame it on the large conference crowd. Then again, Dolphin usually has large conference crowds.

BrerGnat
03-28-2013, 05:43 PM
That's a shame Sherri. Our experience at Bluezoo was phenomenal, truly. I've eaten at a LOT of restaurants at both WDW and Disneyland, and Bluezoo ranked #2 behind only Napa Rose at DL. This was back in 2010, though, so it's quite possible the place has slipped over time. If so, that would be upsetting.

I have also heard wonderful things about Il Mulino and would definitely try it.

Flying Fish has continually been one of Disney's better restaurants so I would agree that it's a great bet on the Boardwalk.

mdricks
03-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks all for the input! I’ve done my "due diligence" and went ahead with Bluezoo.

The travel guides etc are giving it very high marks and generally price was the only cited drawback. There were a few “I don’t get its” but for the most part reviews were above average.

We are big raw bar eaters and the switch from Fulton's was being resisted due to lack of oysters. The availability of fresh oysters and ceviche sealed the deal. I will still look into the chefs table at FF and if available we will do both!

The three of us going all have pretty extensive food service experience both in the front and rear of the house. (Tales of a misspent youth!)

I will make sure to post a detailed review of the experience.

Thanks again!
Mdricks

BrerGnat
03-28-2013, 07:15 PM
I look forward to hearing your review of Bluezoo!

SBETigg
03-28-2013, 09:19 PM
I look forward to hearing your review of Bluezoo!

Me too! I think you will be happy with it, though. It always looks good from the outside, and I do want to try it eventually. I think maybe the conference groups suffered from having big crowds/tables of ten.

Though I still wish Todd English would do something about Tuscany. If you're ever at Mohegan Sun in CT, it looks like your best bet but it most likely will disappoint. Jasper White's Summer Shack there is awesome, though, especially for seafood lovers. But back to WDW... let us know how it goes.

MOJoe
03-29-2013, 01:27 PM
I think you made a good choice. Back a few years ago we ate at both Fulton's and BlueZoo, and i remember making the comment to our waiter, "Fulton's is really good, but BlueZoo is great." I love the long cocktail bar and their assortment of specialty drinks. You should have a great time. Enjoy.:marg:

mdricks
03-29-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks Joe! What I really need to know is how it compares to Lambert's!

Go cards!