PDA

View Full Version : Jiko or Sanaa? Artist Point or Flying Fish?

mousetrapper
03-25-2013, 11:20 PM
Mulling over a few remaining days' ADRs. We're on the DDP. I like Sanaa but have never tried Jiko. Is it a two-point restaurant? If so is it worth it? What about Flying Fish? I love walking from Epcot to the Boardwalk area. We did Kouzzina last trip and really liked it. Never did Artist Point; the menu looks great. Also love the boat to Wilderness Lodge as well as the ambience. Is Artist Point two points on the DDP?

It's my DH, two DDs (one is a vegetarian; the other eats fish but no meat), and me.

Info and opinions are welcome!

chrim
03-26-2013, 03:00 AM
Jiko, Flying Fish, and Artist Point all cost two points on the Disney Dining Plan (as they are "signature" restaurants). Thus, of the places you listed, only Sanaa is a single point.

Also, of those, Sanaa is the only one open for lunch, if that makes any difference to you.

Sanaa is the only place with impressive views (in my opinion) from much of the dining room during the day. Of course at night, you can't really see outside anyway.

Jiko was pretty great when it opened, but I was less impressed when I went back. I haven't been recently, so I can't say for sure.

Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge is still only 1 dining plan point and seems popular.

While it isn't the same boat ride as going to the Wilderness Lodge, you can ride boats between the Magic Kingdom and both the Grand Floridian and the Polynesian. Perhaps you should check the dinner menu for the Kona Cafe at the Poly. It is also only 1 dining plan point.

Also, while more mundane in food, the Cape May Cafe has a buffet featuring seafood at dinner. It is located in the Beach Club resort not far from the Boardwalk.

steph436
03-26-2013, 07:31 PM
Haven't been to Jiko or Flying Fish, but my entire family love's Artist Point and Sanaa.
We haven't had a bad meal at Artist Point - try the Cedar Plank King Salmon or the Buffalo steak and if you like berries the cobbler is a must. :thumbsup:

Sanaa has a really good selection for a vegetarian and the Sustainable fish was wonderful. (It's also only 1 TS credit). My DS 9 loves to see the animals before dinner.:mickey:

Hope this helps! Maybe someone else can tell you more about Jiko and Flying Fish.

mousetrapper
03-26-2013, 08:22 PM
Thanks so much to both of you! Yes, we love Boma - have been several times - and we've been to Sanaa once and liked it a lot. The vegetarians in our family (DDs - although one also eats fish) really do like it too.

I'd love to try someplace new but always worry we'll be disappointed. If the place is good enough, I don't mind using the two dining points.

Sounds like Sanaa may be better for lunch or an early dinner to take advantage of the daylight to see the nice view.

SBETigg
03-26-2013, 08:26 PM
I love Flying Fish, but I would probably choose Artist Point because you've been to Kouzzina (different from Flying Fish but practically the same location). I haven't tried Artist Point, and it's on my list. Jiko is also very good, but I prefer Sanaa.

Kairi_7378
03-30-2013, 08:12 AM
I know the feeling of wanting to try new things and being worried about them not measuring up to our favorites. I think what makes me more inclined to try new things is that we have only had one "bad" meal at WDW in several trips. While somewhat upsetting at the time, by the end of the evening, we were all laughing about it.

I have had several great meals at Artists' Point. While my husband usually gets the buffalo steak, I have tried several of the seafood dishes and enjoyed them all. Save room for the berry cobbler dessert :-)

Tip for Sanaa- On our last trip, we made the earliest ADR available. We were seated adjacent to the windows. It was my son's birthday meal and he loved it.

lawgirl
04-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Jiko was amazing when it first opened. It was my favorite restaurant ever. Then, we went 2 years ago, and I was shocked at the downturn in quality and service. I'm hoping it's better now, but I left very disappointed. For me, it's not worth 2 of our DDP credits.

On the other hand, Sanaa has been consistently good ,and has spectacular views. I think Sanaa also has a great vegatarian selection. I would definitely go with Sanaa.

lawgirl
04-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Forgot to add...if you drink wine, Sanaa and Jiko have outstanding South African wine selections. I thought I read somewhere that it's the largest SA wine collection in the world? Or something like that.

I've always wanted to try Artist Point as well. But I love the exotic safari too much...we just can't stay away from the AKL restaurants. Jiko would probably be worth a try. The interior is very well decorated, and the wine list is outstanding, and while it's never been as good as the first time we went, it still is well above average.