PDA

View Full Version : No EMH at MK on Fridays

mgmnut
03-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Sorry if this was already discussed.

Looks like WDW has dropped evening EMH on Fridays through 8/26.

We are planning a trip in Aug and the hours prior stated Evening EMH on 8/16 til 1am,the day we arrive. We were going to check in and hit MK, now that has changed.

Anyone in the know of why they dropped them on Fridays through the summer?

Carol
03-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Extra Magic Hours are not delegated to set days. They often change from week to week or month to month. It depends on their schedule for events, crowds and park hours.

Tekneek
03-24-2013, 09:25 AM
Extra Magic Hours are not delegated to set days. They often change from week to week or month to month. It depends on their schedule for events, crowds and park hours.

I think he is saying the EMH was published for 8/16 and has since been removed.

mgmnut
03-24-2013, 09:36 AM
I think he is saying the EMH was published for 8/16 and has since been removed.

Yes, That's exactly what I am saying. Previously published dates have since been removed, all Fridays, about 12 in all throughout the summer.

May 31st
June 7, 14, 21,and 28th
July 12, 19, and 26th
Aug 2, 9, 16, and 23rd

All above dates were previously listed as Evening EMH for MK but now are not.

Wondering if anyone knows why they would be removed? Something to do with the expansion maybe?

I noticed during planning when our arrival day EMH dissappeared (8/16). I started looking into it and found the other dates missing as well.

MickeysBestPal
03-24-2013, 09:51 AM
1- dates have since been removed, all Fridays, about 12 in all throughout the summer.

2- Wondering if anyone knows why they would be removed?

1- Correct.

2- It is for cost-savings. (Like the drop from 3 hours to 2 hours for all PM EMH.)

Some say this is just another step in the total elimination of EMH when MyMagic+ finally comes online.

I hope not, but so far, EMH has been steadily shrinking away.

Tekneek
03-24-2013, 09:53 AM
Wondering if anyone knows why they would be removed? Something to do with the expansion maybe?

I noticed during planning when our arrival day EMH dissappeared (8/16). I started looking into it and found the other dates missing as well.

I haven't found anything definitive. Just the usual speculation, including this being phase 1 of a plan to remove EMH completely.

mgmnut
03-24-2013, 10:04 AM
What a shame if they eliminate EMH, it's a nice perk for staying on site, and one of the many reasons we do. :( We like to leave the park during the hot summer afternoons and return for a late night of EMH with plenty of time in the park and lower crowd levels when the sun goes down.

You would think for cost savings they would eliminate the Friday EMH at the lower crowd periods. They are eliminating them for the summer, and then putting them back in the fall (Sept) when attendance levels drop. Plus, they are only eliminating them at MK, not the other 2 parks that have them.

Head scratcher! :confused:

Tekneek
03-24-2013, 10:12 AM
You would think for cost savings they would eliminate the Friday EMH at the lower crowd periods. They are eliminating them for the summer, and then putting them back in the fall (Sept) when attendance levels drop. Plus, they are only eliminating them at MK, not the other 2 parks that have them.

Head scratcher! :confused:

It isn't like the park is open real late during August either. The latest closing is 10 PM, meaning the latest EMH is midnight.

Those coming back in September might be an illusion. Let's see what happens as we get a bit closer.

VWL Mom
03-24-2013, 10:14 AM
It looks like the discontinued Friday EMH but extended the park hours. Originally they were slated to close at 10PM plus EMH. Now it looks like they are remaining open until 11PM.

As far as adding Friday nights in September, I don't see that happening. IMO they'll more than likely to stick to one EMH night which historically been Sunday.

Tekneek
03-24-2013, 10:16 AM
It looks like the discontinued Friday EMH but extended the park hours. Originally they were slated to close at 10PM plus EMH. Now it looks like they are remaining open until 11PM.

That is interesting. I wonder what this means. Are Friday night EMH events not well attended? Are bookings down? They traded two hours of resort guests only for 1 hour with everybody. There must be a business reason behind it.

Hammer
03-24-2013, 11:06 AM

As far as adding Friday nights in September, I don't see that happening. IMO they'll more than likely to stick to one EMH night which historically been Sunday.

Remember that MNSSHP dates start in September and many of them are on Fridays. MNSSHP makes them money.

MickeysBestPal
03-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Remember that MNSSHP dates start in September and many of them are on Fridays. MNSSHP makes them money.

They generally didn't offer Friday PM EMH at MK except during the "summer," anyway.

Maleficent's Dad
03-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Excellent point.
EMH = extra cost, almost no discernible profit
MNSSHP = profit

All the rumor mills are buzzing - speculation is that this is the end of EMH. Step 2 of eliminating a major cost incurred by Disney (step 1 was reduction from 3 hours to 2).
Time shall tell.

waymickey
03-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Just my opinion, but seems like Disney is becoming very generic.

I never like extra hours at night since the parks stay crowed since there is no way to really weed out non resort guests. But I do like the morning hours. I hope they do not get rid of it all together.

MickeysBestPal
03-25-2013, 01:27 PM
Just my opinion, but seems like Disney is becoming very generic.

I never like extra hours at night since the parks stay crowed since there is no way to really weed out non resort guests. But I do like the morning hours. I hope they do not get rid of it all together.

It doesn't bother me who else is milling around a PM EMH park.
They do screen out non-WDW resort guests from entering the ride queues with the showing of resort keys at the queue entrances.

Many guests will exit that park before long if they can't ride anything.

FLKatie912
03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
That is interesting. I wonder what this means. Are Friday night EMH events not well attended? Are bookings down? They traded two hours of resort guests only for 1 hour with everybody. There must be a business reason behind it.

From the perspective of a local, Fridays are great nights for parks since most people are travelling out or in that night, low crowds. :thumbsup:

LVT
03-25-2013, 07:16 PM
I recall Early Thursdays and late Sun. I have never been there when it was Friday They are usually open late already. I did not know the patterns changed much.

Tekneek
03-25-2013, 07:37 PM
I have seen some data recently that suggests EMH hours have slowly decreased, year over year, since its introduction. I couldn't verify the data, but it sounds about right. It would match with the way Disney does things. They cut back on perks/benefits quite slowly, such that most people keep thinking the same value exists as when they first started using it (see DDP for a great example of this).

waymickey
03-26-2013, 12:26 PM
I have seen some data recently that suggests EMH hours have slowly decreased, year over year, since its introduction. I couldn't verify the data, but it sounds about right. It would match with the way Disney does things. They cut back on perks/benefits quite slowly, such that most people keep thinking the same value exists as when they first started using it (see DDP for a great example of this).

Exactly! some of the "perks or Extras" are slowly dissapearing. It is done in a slow way as not to rock the boat to much and then it gone and people are left wondering it ever was there in the first place.
I remember a time when characters would show up at the resort in the morning as perk for resort guests. It was very exciting for kids to see the characters in the lobby or by the pool . A magical touch for resort guests. But it slowly faded away and now has become " did that really happen or not?"

LVT
03-27-2013, 08:38 AM
EMH is relatively new. I recall paying for it. It was great. The parks were quiet and one could ride lots of times.

Tekneek
03-27-2013, 09:12 AM
EMH is relatively new. I recall paying for it. It was great. The parks were quiet and one could ride lots of times.

You may be thinking of E-Ride Nights at MK.

TheHD
04-07-2013, 06:20 PM
I was just looking at the EMH in July and I was shocked as to how few EMH offerings they have now. The last trip I took is when it first started to dwindle and I figured it was because of the fall scheduling, but it is apparently a staple now - reduced hours - even during summer.

July will be my first summer trip since 2006 and I remembered then that there was an EMH morning and evening every day. I didn't realize it took that great a fall in recent years until just now. :(

Tekneek
04-08-2013, 09:04 AM
July will be my first summer trip since 2006 and I remembered then that there was an EMH morning and evening every day. I didn't realize it took that great a fall in recent years until just now. :(

Disney knows very well how to boil that frog without him realizing it at all. I believe that is the new Disney Way, that has effectively replaced the old customer-driven service mindset.

Cheshire_Girl
04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Well, even thought hey are reducing EMH they are extending regular park hours later during the busy times.
For the past few weeks MK has been open until 1am almost every night and even HWS has been open until 10pm a few nights.
As a lacal-I don't like the morning EMH. They allow FP during those hours and so on EMH mornings-forget getting a FP for Toy Story Midway if you get into the park at regular hours because they have all been taken by EMHer's...
Personally I hope these go away entirely.

MickeysBestPal
04-08-2013, 12:35 PM
As a lacal-I don't like the morning EMH. They allow FP during those hours and so on EMH mornings-forget getting a FP for Toy Story Midway if you get into the park at regular hours because they have all been taken by EMHer's...

Unless you only go to DHS during Easter/Spring Break, Christmas Week, or on/near July 4th, TSM FP's are not "all taken" by 9AM (regular hours) on an 8AM EMH day.

While AM EMH does mean a disadvantage to guests not staying at a WDW Resort, on most days throughout the year, the FP's are not all gone until a couple of hours later in the morning or into to early afternoon, and then only for the most popular E-Ticket rides.

Aurora
04-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Perhaps not "all taken" in an hour, but during our June visit in 2011 on a 9 a.m. opening day, TSM Fastpasses were all gone and the machines covered up by 10:45 a.m. This was the first full week in June, not a peak week. So on that day, not even two hours.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread... :)