PDA

View Full Version : Annual Pass Questions

dntccc
03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
We will be moving in a couple of weeks for a job I have accepted. Most likely we will live in Florida and be about a 5 - 6 hour drive from WDW. With a Florida address we plan to take advantage of the FL resident annual pass plan WDW has. With this, we plan to go to WDW at least 3 times a year and stay 3 - 4 days each time.

Looking at the website, I see that there are different types of passes. Given our budget, we were deciding between the annual pass and the seasonal pass. Two of the differences between the two that we are looking at is the free parking and the no blackout dates with the annual pass VS the seasonal pass. The blackout dates are not really a concern as most of them are during June - August. We do not mind not getting to go during that time due to the heat/humidity then. Also, from my calculations, the amount we would pay for parking given the number of times we plan to go is less than the difference we would pay if we were to get the annual pass.

We are not concerned with the other differences between the two (water parks, golf, etc.), and from what I see both types of passes give you resort discounts (which if we stay onsite parking would not be an issue).

For those of you familiar with both types of passes, are there any differences between the two other than the ones listed on the website - http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/?

PopPhan
03-22-2013, 03:56 PM
If you would be staying at a Disney resort during your stays, your parking would be free anyway, so that shouldn't/wouldn't be an issue.

Other than that, I really cannot be much of a help.

clausjo
03-22-2013, 04:08 PM
When I lived in FL and before the kids were school age, we always had the Seasonal Pass. We were never traveling to WDW during the holidays or the summer, so the blackout times didn't ever bother us. Once the kids were older and we could no longer pull them out of school, we changed to the "regular" annual pass. I think the blockout dates are the biggest difference and, if you don't plan on traveling during those time, the seasonal pass is a good option.

DizneyRox
03-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Blackout dates... And they enforce them. If they aren't a concern, go seasonal...

dnickels
03-22-2013, 06:53 PM
In your situation the seasonal makes more sense. You'd be staying at the resorts during a trip anyway since you live that far away so the parking aspect of a regular AP won't help you. As long as the blackout dates aren't a concern, I'd get the seasonal.

greengeen
03-22-2013, 07:07 PM
We always get the seasonal pass. If you have the luxury of living in Florida, there's no reason to go during peak times anyway! We visit the second week of December to get our dose of decorations and activities, because Christmas block-out doesn't start until mid-December.

AgentC
03-22-2013, 09:46 PM
We've had seasonal passes for about 4 years and they have worked out well for us. We stay on site which gives us free parking. As you mentioned black out dates are in the hottest part of the summer, Easter/Spring Break time, and the week between Christmas and New Years. Other than the black out and the parking, there is no difference.

If you ever change your mind it is easy to upgrade. We had friends visiting last summer and upgraded to full annual to go with them in July. My passes renew this month and I will be changing back to seasonal. I might keep one as an annual for the parking but we live closer than you will and we do go over for the day.

I would start with the seasonal and if it doesn't work out you can always upgrade.

KODABEAR
03-24-2013, 04:18 PM
:old::knit: We always get a seasonal pass. A few years ago we bought a 10day park hopper with no exp. which we use when family comes for a visit during blackout times. Has worked out well for us.:mickey:

Terra
03-24-2013, 05:01 PM
I agree that if you're staying on property, you'll get free parking anyway and WDW transportation. However, if you like staying off property [which we do because of price], then I'd consider an AP verses an SP.

What I do is buy my children the SP and I get the AP for the sheer parking alone! Again though we go at least twice a month since we are only 45 minutes away, and I like to take mini trips and stay at a hotel on 195 somewhere.
Plus as an adult with an AP, I don't mind jaunting over during the summer/peak times for just dinner or a stroll by myself for a "mom's time out".

But I agree it is way to hot in general in the summer, especially to be dragging my kiddos along.

Whatever you decide, have a grand time :)

dntccc
04-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. We will be living in Florida afterall - about 5.5 - 6 hours from Orlando. Right now we plan to go to WDW about 3 times a year and we will probably go with the seasonal passes. As far as purchasing the passes, would it be best to buy them onsite the next time we go? Do the passes start the day you buy them or do they start the first day you use them (as far as when they expire)?

AgentC
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. We will be living in Florida afterall - about 5.5 - 6 hours from Orlando. Right now we plan to go to WDW about 3 times a year and we will probably go with the seasonal passes. As far as purchasing the passes, would it be best to buy them onsite the next time we go? Do the passes start the day you buy them or do they start the first day you use them (as far as when they expire)?

The passes start when you activate them at a guest services window. Are you a AAA member? If so AAA gives a small discount on annual/seasonal passes. I would buy from AAA and then activate at the park.

If not either way works. Prices do generally go up in the summer. Depending on when you plan on going it may be better to buy online to get the current price.

minnie04
04-02-2013, 01:35 PM
This is the first time we have purchased passes. I don't really care about the summer either, but I did get the Annual instead of the seasonal because of Spring Break and other times we want to go. This year our Spring Break was blocked out(with seasonal), so it made sense to get the Annual. Whatever your budget will allow go for it..lol Florida Res. Rates have changed some too. Now we have blocked out dates too even with the regular tickets. Look into all your options before you decide...:mickey:

I also like the Annual so when the kids have a teachers work day we can go with no worries of Black out... I plan to do this a lot. I printed the school calendar so I can plan ahead and find good hotel deals.

stephicakes
04-03-2013, 11:25 AM
The passes start when you activate them at a guest services window. Are you a AAA member? If so AAA gives a small discount on annual/seasonal passes. I would buy from AAA and then activate at the park.

If not either way works. Prices do generally go up in the summer. Depending on when you plan on going it may be better to buy online to get the current price.

Question:
We are looking at buying Premium Annual Passes this year for the first time but when I called AAA I was told they do not sell APs and I would have to go directly through Disney for that. AAA only sells up to 10 day tickets. Am I missing something? We are AAA Plus members. We don't need an accommodation package... just APs.

thanks!
steph :)

AgentC
04-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Question:
We are looking at buying Premium Annual Passes this year for the first time but when I called AAA I was told they do not sell APs and I would have to go directly through Disney for that. AAA only sells up to 10 day tickets. Am I missing something? We are AAA Plus members. We don't need an accommodation package... just APs.

thanks!
steph :)

They do offer FL resident passes and non resident regular annual pass for AAA Southeast members which is FL, GA and parts of TN. I don't know if any of the other areas offer the passes.

stephicakes
04-03-2013, 11:36 AM
They do offer FL resident passes and non resident regular annual pass for AAA Southeast members which is FL, GA and parts of TN. I don't know if any of the other areas offer the passes.

Ah... regional discounts. Makes sense. thanks! :thumbsup: