PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner's Insurance

cer
03-21-2013, 01:00 PM
Hey all. We are doing a home refinance and it has been suggested that we are paying way too much to insure our home. :(

We are planning on getting some quotes and I was just wondering if any of you have any recommendations for companies we should check out or avoid. :confused:

Thanks so much! :)

princessgirls
03-21-2013, 01:45 PM
We have New Jersey Manufacturer's Insurance for both Auto and home, they are good but limited to Jersey.

My good friend in the Insurance industry raves about Traveler's. She has said over and over again they handle their homeowner claims quickly and well.

AllState, State Farm.

Do your research. Good Luck!
Julie:mickey:

Dulcee
03-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Travelers and State Farm are both great companies.

State Farm was one of the few that would insure our home when other companies turned us down due to owning a husky mix. They were also one of the lowest quotes.

Strmchsr
03-21-2013, 02:00 PM
State Farm and USAA have been the best companies I've dealt with.

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-21-2013, 02:18 PM
We use State Farm Insurance (home, auto, life, and jewelry). We've been quite pleased!

WRWDisney
03-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Another vote for USAA here. I know when we bought our house, the bank based our initial payment quote on a lower rate and offered to put us in touch with that insurer; but if you've ever had to file a claim, you know that having a company that is responsive, helpful and timely is worth its weight in gold! Don't go for the cheapest, go for the best balanced with reasonable rates.

DizneyRox
03-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Amica has been great. I'm not concerned with price more than I am with service. Their service has been top notch. Between car and house I think we've made about 4 claims, and never a hiccup, never a problem.

Rates if I'm not mistaken have been about everyone else for similar coverage.

Madame Leona
03-22-2013, 07:23 AM
We use AAA and I've always been happy. Two things I've learned is that it never hurts to call your provider and ask about lower rates and generally if you bundle car, home, life together, your rates will be lower. I called AAA and had a significant decrease in my premium just by letting them know I had the shingles replaced on my house. I had no idea that would make such a difference.

Tink1
03-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I just worked through a claim with my mom (second floor radiators flooded) and Liberty Mutual. They were great to deal with.

We had a claim with Travelers (kitchen fire) and they were great as well.

Nanc

cer
03-22-2013, 10:34 AM
Thank you , thank you! This definitely gives me a place to start.

AgentC
03-22-2013, 11:43 AM
I work in the industry. Any of the major companies are going to give you a good basic package and service. USAA (who I do not work for) gets top satisfaction scores and has the highest customer loyalty netpromoter score.

However one thing to take into account is that Property & Casualty insurance is state regulated. That means that a companies attitude and service can vary from state to state. Policy coverage may also vary from company to company.

Texas does tend to be a more challenging state than some because it has numerous risks.

When you get quotes, here are a few things to check with each company

-Dwelling coverage- Companies determine a replacement cost for your house. There are several methods to do this. Ask how they determine it and make sure it seems realistic. Remember replacement cost does not equal market value.

Personal Property, Loss of Use and Private Structures all are a percent of the Dwelling. Some companies are more generous in the percentages.

Deductible - moving it up or down can make a difference.

On the Dwelling ask what kind of replacement cost you have. You may have up to the limit, up to 125% of the limit or unlimited guaranteed replacement (very rare these days).

Personal property coverage should be replacement cost not depreciated cost.

That's all I can think of right now.

Good luck! I had to change mine at the end of last year. It is work but it is definitely worth looking around.