PDA

View Full Version : Update on My Dad

meldan98
03-14-2013, 01:33 PM
It's been a while since I've posted. I've in a rather blah period in my life where I've been so busy with life, I haven't had a chance to even think about Disney stuff, let alone write and enjoy reading about everyone's adventures. Even the Disneyana club I belong to has changed so much, that I don't enjoy going to that anymore either.

Anyway, an update on my dad. You may or may not recall back in July/August, my parents took the kids up the Oregon coast to enjoy some adventures with just my parents. While they were enjoying their adventure, my dh and I went on a top secret trip to Disneyland and Las Vegas. When we returned, we were expecting them to be gone an extra week, but they came back early, because my mom and dad were tired. They came home on Sunday and by Friday, my dad was in the hospital. After several weeks, we discovered he had fungal phnemonia (sp?) and had developed an reaction to one of his medications that caused him to be bedridden. After almost 2 months, he was finally able to come home. Within in few months, he was back to bowling and playing golf and had even watched the kids for us recently.

Well, we got bad news yesterday. He has acute myeloid dyplasia (the same thing as Robin Roberts) and only has a few months. He starts Chemo on Monday to help prolong the time he has left so that he is more comfortable and able to enjoy the time he has left. Without treatment, he will end up spending most of his time getting transfusions and end up in the hospital within the next few weeks. I'm devistated! I don't know how to tell my kids who are 9 and 4 and love their grandpa so much. He looks wonderful, and by looking at him, you would never even know he was sick. It just stinks! He is only 67 and I want more time with my dad!

dobby2010
03-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm so sorry. Will keep your father and your Family in my prayers. Hopefully you all will get to make a few more good memories together to get you through the tough times.

buzznwoodysmom
03-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Oh wow, my heart goes out to you, your children, and your family. So sorry this has happened to your father. My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Jeri
03-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Oh my, this is such a hard thing. I will keep you, your family and your children in my thoughts and prayers.
Sending you all big hugs!!

minnie04
03-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Oh Melissa, my eyes just filled with tears reading your post. You and your whole family are in my prayers. It’s so hard to explain to the kids what’s going on when we don’t even want to face it. Just stay close and spend every moment you can with him and your kids as well.

Lisaj13
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
When the time comes, perhaps a book could help.

A book that I found helpful for my daughters when my mom died was Badger's Parting Gifts by Susan Varley.

badkitty
03-14-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm so sorry. Please know you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

disneydeb
03-14-2013, 04:31 PM
I am so sorry your family has this path to walk through. Enjoy the time you all have together, we never know how much time we have left to spend with our loved ones. Live each day to its fullest! ((((hugs))))

Disney4us2
03-15-2013, 07:27 PM
:grouphug::pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie: Hugs, pixies and prayers for you and your family. Hope the chemo gives you and your family more time with your father. Wishing all the best.

roses
03-16-2013, 12:57 PM
Lots of hugs, prayers, and pixie dust is headed your way. I wish I had something more to say that would comfort you, but know that you and your family are in our prayers and thoughts.

faline
03-16-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm sorry. What a dificult time for your family!! Please be sure to make many happy memories in the time available to you.

PirateLover
03-16-2013, 04:33 PM
I am so sorry to hear about this. Prayers and :pixie: headed your way to help get your family through this difficult time. Hang in there. :hug:

Kairi_7378
03-16-2013, 06:40 PM
Praying for peace and strength for your family during this difficult time. I know what it feels like to be going through something so stressful at home that you don't feel like posting or reading anymore. I do believe that Intercot's Pixie dust has special powers. Hang in there.

TinkerbellT421
03-16-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this. Will be sending prayers and pixie dust.

LVT
03-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Adding my prayers for all of you.

dtootsie42
03-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Sending prayers for all of you!

Dec 1997-Contemporary
Dec 1999-Poly
Dec 2001-Poly concierge
June 2002-Disneyland (off site)
Dec 2003-Poly concierge
Dec 2005-Poly concierge
Dec 2007-Poly concierge
Oct 2008-Disneyland (off site)
Dec 2009-Poly concierge
Nov 2010-Disneyland Hotel
Feb. 2012- Grand Floridian concierge celebrating 25 years of marriage just hubby and I
September 2012- DisneyLand Paradise Pier

princessgirls
03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
I am so so sorry that you received this devastating
life changing news.

My heart goes out to you. Praying for you.

Julie:mickey:

KODABEAR
03-18-2013, 12:42 PM
So sorry, time for family hugs, kisses, smiles and prayers.

meldan98
03-27-2013, 06:16 PM
He finished his first round of chemo yesterday and he did really well. He had very few side effects and is just really tired. He also had a blood transfusion on Friday, in hopes that his blood counts will go back up. Through all of this, he has played golf once and went bowling too. He's really trying to fight this.

I talked with my husband and my mom and we have decided not to tell the girls yet. We might tell my older daughter sooner rather than later, because she is going to notice the more visible changes sooner than my younger one.

We have also decided that we are going to try and take one last family trip to Disneyland, once his dr says it is okay from him to travel. We will also probably stay on property and get scooters to rent for both my mom and dad for the full stay, just to make it easier on both my mom and my dad.

It's just so hard to see them go through this. They have been together almost 50 years (dating and married years) and I don't know what my mom will do without my dad around.

Thank you for all of your prayers and thoughts. They really mean a lot to me.

roses
03-28-2013, 07:36 PM
I'm happy to hear that he has been able to do a little more, and hopefully the doctor clears him soon. I'm so sorry that your family has to go through this tough situation. Lots of prayers and pixie dust coming your way!

Dawn,DeniseandDiane
03-29-2013, 11:30 AM
We will be lifting you all up in prayer. We take care of our Mom, who slips away more each day. But, we take every moment we have with her as a gift. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Big hugs from us three.