PDA

View Full Version : Dining reviews of my 3/2-3/6 trip--Part 2--the snacks

southerngirl
03-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Here's the second part of my review, focused on the snacks:

Karamell Kuche--4 Mickeys
My mom and I shared a couple of sea salt caramels (milk and dark chocolate), and my son got a bag of gummy treats. The caramels were good but huge and very rich. I would have preferred smaller pieces with more chocolate-to-caramel ratio. My son apparently loved the gummies, because he had eaten the entire bag in about 20 minutes (while his grandfather was "supervising," and my mom and I were looking at the beautiful paper necklaces from the Africa kiosk).

Boulangerie Patisserie--4 Mickeys
We stopped here for a snack one afternoon. My dad had the strawberry tart, my mom the Napoleon, and I had the chocolate mousse. My son had a strawberry slushie. I'm going to duck to avoid the baguettes that may be thrown my way when some people read this, but I actually preferred these desserts to the ones from the old bakery. I felt that these were much more authentic, and the portion sizes were more appropriate. Yes, paying $4.50 for a dixie cup portion of chocolate mousse was a little steep, but the quality was good, and I really didn't need a huge bowl of chocolate mousse. My dad and mom both liked their choices, too. I think my son's slushie was good (he seemed to like it), but they called it a smoothie, and in my book, a smoothie has milk or yogurt. This was just ice and strawberry juice, so I think Disney should really call it a slushie.

Boardwalk Bakery tent--snacks--3 Mickeys
I had a mixed experience here. One night, I bought an Oreo cupcake and a cup of coffee as a treat. Neither were very good. The cupcake had a light chocolate cake base, and the frosting was whipped cream, and it was filled with some strange Oreo custard-type filling. The coffee was only lukewarm, too (which I didn't realize until I got inside the Boardwalk hotel lobby). However, before my flight home, I stopped by and bought a tomato and mozzarella sandwich for lunch, and it was delicious! The tomatoes were oven dried, so they had a slightly sweet taste to them, and the mozzarella slices were thick and creamy. It was on focaccia bread, which was the perfect base. Yum!

Seashore Sweets--S'mores sandwich cookie-5 Mickeys. Oh..my...goodness. This was amazing. Yes, I gave this the highest review of my entire dining experience, but it was just that perfect. Sadly, I'm pretty sure that this isn't a Disney-made treat, but it was yummy perfection. It had a crispy graham cracker base, topped with a wedge of homemade marshmallow, and then the entire thing was drenched in a thick layer of creamy milk chocolate. Fortunately for my figure (but unfortunately for my taste buds), I only bought one of these, and I didn't try it until I was sitting at the airport on my way home. If I had tried these earlier, I definitely would have brought some home!

Mainstreet Confectionary--3.5 Mickeys
We always enjoy buying the rice krispy treats from here that have all the various toppings on them. I think these are the ones that they decorate in the store (but the bases are probably mass-produced at Selma's). We had two chocolate dipped with sprinkles, a chocolate dipped with Reese's pieces and a chocolate dipped with M&Ms. This time, though, they tasted a bit stale. Maybe we just got a bad batch?

Hope you enjoyed the reviews!

SBETigg
03-13-2013, 05:18 PM
I very much enjoyed your reviews, thanks! I don't think I'll rush to try that oreo cupcake, and I'm going to have to look for the Smores cookie sandwich. Also, agreed, I don't need a big bowl of mousse. A little is delicious and quite enough.

January-2007
03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Thanks so much for reporting!

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the report, makes me want a sweet treat.

BriarRose0708
03-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Thanks again for the great reviews. I'm not a fan of marshmallows but that s'mores thing sounds fabulous!

beksy
03-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks for reporting! I love Smores so that sandwich thing is definitely on my list of snacks to get :thumbsup: