PDA

View Full Version : Signatures and children

jenperich
03-02-2013, 09:36 AM
We will be taking our 19-month old son to Disney in October. We usually eat at a signature restaurant each time we go. I'm thinking we may go back to Narcoossee's. How are signatures w/young children? Any help would be great. Thanks!

DizneyRox
03-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Last time we went, ours was like that age. Narcoossees was one of our stops and had no troubles at all. They were great, the meal was great, overall a good time.

You might catch some looks from other guests, but as long as kids are allowed (and they are at Narcoossees) I wouldn't think twice.

Itchy
03-02-2013, 12:54 PM
My one grand daughter was at Cali Grill when she was 1 and 18 months and never had an issue. We were lucky that she never got to crabby. The staff were always helpful if we needed something for her.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

gardenia
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
You might catch some looks from other guests...

You don't catch looks for no reason. You only catch looks for kids who aren't behaving at an acceptable level for the venue. We didn't take our kids to ANY restaurant until they were old enough to sit still and use inside voices. No shrieking, no kicking, no food tossing, no running to other tables, etc.. If your child can behave, you can go where ever you want.

DVC2004
03-02-2013, 01:41 PM
It's Disney and there are always kids of all ages in the restaurants, even signature. No need to worry, enjoy.

Pirate Granny
03-02-2013, 03:35 PM
I disagree...if your child can take a two hour start to finish, sitting in their highchairs, then fine...but normally, by the time the food arrives they are already antsy, and people tend to put them down on the floor to roam...or hold them on their shoulder to touch and bother the people behind them...it's a pricy meal, that lots of people either hold off until they don't have to take their small children or have well behaved children....but how do you predict your toddlers mood six months in advance, let alone twenty minutes....tricky.

We didn't take our children until they were adults...they were well behaved as kids (girls), but 1 we couldn't afford earlier, 2 they would have complained that they had to go to a fancy restaurant (especially in Disney) 3. They were always behaved and never a tear, but just not a risk I wanted to take.

Our meal there was Christmas Day dinner. Wonderful...but, not a child under ten was in sight!

SBETigg
03-02-2013, 05:24 PM
I think it's good to introduce children to fine dining early on. Not too early, necessarily, but WDW signature restaurants (with the exception of Victoria and Albert's and formerly Bistro de Paris) are welcoming to kids of any age. It's WDW. They expect children in most situations.

Hammer
03-02-2013, 09:30 PM
You don't catch looks for no reason. You only catch looks for kids who aren't behaving at an acceptable level for the venue. We didn't take our kids to ANY restaurant until they were old enough to sit still and use inside voices. No shrieking, no kicking, no food tossing, no running to other tables, etc.. If your child can behave, you can go where ever you want.

Exactly :yes: ! If your child will sit and not disrupt the other guests, then you'll be fine. You know how your child behaves.

southerngirl
03-02-2013, 11:06 PM
We've always taken our kids (13 months and 4) to all of our reservations, and we usually eat in sit-down restaurants at Disney. Actually, we're here right now and went to Yachtsman tonight. There were lots of elemetary school aged kiddos, and everyone did just fine. My kids were great!

By the way, I've never seen anyone put their baby on the floor "to roam around" and bother other people, at Disney or at any other nice restaurant. I never would do that, and I don't know many parents in this day and age who would, especially out of concerns for their safety. But, if those people exist, then I must not know them or eat in the same places they do--thankfully:) I think that most of us who take their kids to nicer restaurants understand that kids aren't statutes or adults, so they can't sit perfectly still, but as long as your kids aren't screaming or throwing food or being otherwise so crazy that it disrupts everyone else, I think that taking them to eat with you is a wonderful way to teach manners and instill confidence, and I think most people, especially at Disney, understand. Enjoy it!

VWL Mom
03-03-2013, 06:37 AM
I had one that would sit through a dinner like a little gentleman, dining out was never a problem. Then the second came along and we put the breaks on dining out for awhile. It all depends on the child. As the trip gets closer you could take him out to restaurants around your home to get him used to sitting. Start with a quick meal and work your way up to longer ones.

TheVBs
03-03-2013, 07:53 AM
It's Disney and there are always kids of all ages in the restaurants, even signature. No need to worry, enjoy.

:thumbsup:

Dream'nDisney
03-03-2013, 09:25 AM
We've never even considered not going to a Disney restaurant without our children. IT'S DISNEY!! Of course, we have taken our children to nice restaurants from the time they were born, so I guess they have always known to behave. I'm sure there were some trying moments a few times, but you just have to create a distraction. When they were really young, we just made sure we always had crayons and paper handy. Now that I think of it, my DS use to love playing with the packets of sugar and sweetener that were on the table, rearranging them, etc. LOL Hey, whatever works, right???

jenperich
03-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Thanks everyone! He has been out to restaurants many times and does well. So hopefully he'll be a good boy.

tomatoe pie
03-05-2013, 05:39 PM
i have been taking my grandchildren to the finer restaurants for the last 10 yrs.

narcoossee's is their fav restaurant at wdw and cali grill is the 2nd fav. those are the two we never miss.:pixie::welcome:

Katzateer
03-05-2013, 06:05 PM
There were a lot of families with little kids at Narcoossee's when we went in October - I think more families with kids than adult parties which surprised me a little. I did not even notice the kids once inside eating but since there was only 2 of us we were in an area with smaller tables.

We waited in the small lobby for over 30 minutes ( were a little early) and some of the kids were getting a little......um....upset....waiting.

California Grill - didn't see as many people with little kids but we ate there all the time when our girls were in grade school age up. More business-conference type diners and couples celebrating anniversaries.

Katzateer
03-05-2013, 06:08 PM
I think it's good to introduce children to fine dining early on. Not too early, necessarily, but WDW signature restaurants (with the exception of Victoria and Albert's and formerly Bistro de Paris) are welcoming to kids of any age. It's WDW. They expect children in most situations.

:thumbsup:Our girls LOVED eating at at least one signature place each trip ,- especially the fancy desserts. And they always behaved. Fun times! It was a special tradition since Grandma was with us most trips and they only got to see her a few times each year.

buzznwoodysmom
03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
If your kids typically are well behaved in a restaurant then by all means go and enjoy the finer dining in WDW.

We waited till our kids were a bit older, 11 and 9 I think, to take them to a signature place in WDW. We used their age as an excuse to have "date nights" when they were younger. :blush:

SBETigg
03-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks everyone! He has been out to restaurants many times and does well. So hopefully he'll be a good boy.

Good, yes, go! Enjoy your meal. And don't stress. If he gets fussy, it's easy enough for one of you to walk him out for a bit. It's the people that sit on through the whole meal with fussing kids that give people issues with kids in restaurants. Most kids I've seen do well in restaurants, and most parents know how to handle any situation. You'll be fine.