PDA

View Full Version : TOT for non-roller coaster lovers?

Lindslou
02-27-2013, 04:24 PM
Hey all-

My husband has a hard time with roller coasters (especially ones which go upside down). He feels sick after he gets off. I'd love to try to coax him onto Tower of Terror since it is not a roller coaster (and an awesome ride!). But do people think it would be likely to make him queasy regardless? I don't want to torture the poor guy. = )

Thanks for the help!

medic9016
02-27-2013, 05:18 PM
I feel the same as your husband. I tried RnR once and Everest a few times. I ride ToT several time a trip. The anticipation of the first time was the hardest.

NJGIRL
02-27-2013, 05:44 PM
I can do rollercoasters, but not the TOT. Did it once and my legs were like rubber when I got off. And that was when it only dropped once. :D

I think it will depend if his problem is his stomach or head. If it is his stomach TOT won't be for him IMO

DizneyRox
02-27-2013, 05:45 PM
ToT is not a roller coaster and doesn't go upside down. It's a totally different feeling than what you experience on a roller coaster. It's not a stomach in your throat feeling, it was very tame in comparison from what I remember.

NJGIRL
02-27-2013, 05:49 PM
ToT is not a roller coaster and doesn't go upside down. It's a totally different feeling than what you experience on a roller coaster. It's not a stomach in your throat feeling, it was very tame in comparison from what I remember.

I have to disagree on the stomach part. At least for me, those big drops like TOT mean my stomach drops and flips and many other things I don't like. :sick: I feel the straight drops are harsher than a rollercoaster because with a rollercoaster you are at more of an angle when you drop. Just my opinion.

BTW my husband doesn't do rollercoasters but does the TOT. His problem is his head.

faline
02-27-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm not a big roller coaster fan - can tolerate some but not my favorite. On the other hand, Tower of Terror is one of my favorite rides!!

Figment!
02-27-2013, 07:20 PM
If the issue is the pressure (g-force) that you feel going through the inversions, the Tower of Terror should be ok.

During the drops, you do "negative g's" and get a floating sensation (for most). Some of the sequences do feature a "blast off" move upward that does press you into your seat, but it is not as nearly as intense as going through an inversion on a roller coaster.

Lindslou
02-27-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks all! I'll share this info with him and see if he'll give it a try. If nothing else I'll have him walk through the line wtih me to experience all the detailed theming.

CuteAsMinnie
02-27-2013, 09:30 PM
I really, really, really dislike everything roller coasters. Last trip the fam talked me into RnRR and I thought I was going to.... Idk.... ya.

But ToT IS one of my favorite rides. My fam doesn't get it and think I'm nuts. There is not the intensity of a RR and for some reason the drop feels NOTHING like the terrifying drop of a RR. I get a little tickley and the floating is pretty cool. Of course I scream and close my eyes tight but still it's pretty cool. Ok, last time I had the nerve to peak a bit. Okay you all can stop laughing now)

I hope your DH gets the nerve to try ToT. (Btw, the seats have handles in front to hold on to but I think some seats do not. Perhaps they're the ones on the middle aisle. May want to make sure he doesn't sit in these seats ;) )

DisneyDINK
02-27-2013, 10:47 PM
I just posted about my DW conquering her coaster fears in some trip reports. Her issues are/were psychological. Sound like your husband's issues are physical. Do simulators make him queasy too? Any mothion sickness in cars? He probably won't know for sure until he tries.

SandmanGStefani24
02-27-2013, 10:53 PM
i love rides, but the tower will NEVER happen again.

I can go fast, turn hard, go upside down, spin, and any combination of those, but a vertical drop just aint happening with me. I don't think he will ever forgive you for taking him on it, if he doesn't have a heart attack first. :D

K8screen
02-28-2013, 08:19 AM
I can do rollercoasters, but not the TOT. Did it once and my legs were like rubber when I got off. And that was when it only dropped once. :D

I think its actually LESS bothering now there are several drops. You sort of get used to it, so when you get off you are not so discombobulated as you were when you had just done the single big drop, so you are more likely to think the ride was ok.

ANG
02-28-2013, 01:13 PM
I rode the ToT once and I won't again because it made me feel so sick. I can handle any of the other rides at WDW but that one. It's a rough one but I do love the experience and think everyone should do it at least once (assuming there is no health risks). Make he he doesn't eat a lot beforehand!

caryrae
02-28-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm OK with most roller coasters except ones like Rockin Roller Coaster just because of the fast take off. I also can't do ToT because of the up and down.

Lindslou
02-28-2013, 06:55 PM
I just posted about my DW conquering her coaster fears in some trip reports. Her issues are/were psychological. Sound like your husband's issues are physical. Do simulators make him queasy too? Any mothion sickness in cars? He probably won't know for sure until he tries.

I think it is physical for him. He is okay in simulators and he is fine in cars. The biggest problem he's had is going upside down. That goes poorly. But he did fine on the green side of Mission Space.... I think the plan will be to have him try it at the end of the day. = )

Aurora
02-28-2013, 08:58 PM
I love roller coasters but I get motion sick. I'll try any ride once. Everything makes me woozy -- roller coasters, the TOT, Harry Potter ride at Universal, you name it (not big drops on water rides, though).

If he is OK with some rides and not with others, I'd give TOT a shot. If he gets queasy more often on rides than not, I'd say TOT isn't for him. To be on the safe side, if you decide to do it, I'd wait for later in the day, so if he does get sick, it won't ruin half your day.

DisneyDINK
03-01-2013, 12:12 AM
I think it is physical for him. He is okay in simulators and he is fine in cars. The biggest problem he's had is going upside down. That goes poorly. But he did fine on the green side of Mission Space.... I think the plan will be to have him try it at the end of the day. = )

I wish you both good luck. I hope he enjoys the ride. :fingers:

Lindslou
04-23-2014, 03:49 PM
This is an incredibly old thread but I thought some might enjoy an update. DH did not enjoy TOT as many in this thread predicted. :secret: He felt pretty ill afterward but came around after some sitting and some popcorn. Several months later he's glad he tried it ONCE but won't be going back for more. :D

faline
04-23-2014, 07:49 PM
Kudos to him for trying. Sorry it won't be on the "favorites" or "must do" list!!

BhamWriter
04-24-2014, 09:49 AM
Lindslou, thanks for the update. When my oldest son was 10, I made him ride it with me. After we got off and out of the building, he threw up. He should've thrown up on my shoes.

#1donaldfan
04-24-2014, 12:05 PM
It's great he at least tried. My sister worried over that ride for at least 10 years, until two years ago finally riding it. It was both her maiden and farewell voyage on it !! :mickey:

spoiledraf
04-24-2014, 05:39 PM
I'll ride any coaster in the World but TOT has my number. I've done it twice but quite honestly it scares the doo doo out of me!!! I don't recall being sick afterward but it's more an acquired fear of heights and the sudden drop. Could be my age is catching up as well. But I'm sure I'll ride it again when we take the grandkids next year.

Aurora
04-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Sorry that your husband is in the same club as I am. Tell him we have jackets. :sick: :party:

hauntedmansiongirl
04-30-2014, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the update! I have trouble with that ride too- I think a big part of it is not knowing how many drops you are going to have. If they said "7 drops" I would countdown and be fine. But not knowing is horrible for me! Totally psychological I guess!

Keneva
04-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Sound like your husband's issues are physical. Do simulators make him queasy too? Any mothion sickness in cars? He probably won't know for sure until he tries.

The older I get the less I can physically tolerate WRT roller coasters, spinning tea cups and now the TOT. I'm glad I tried TOT but for me it's no longer worth it :sick:. He should try it to see where he stands.

Snow's Mom
05-03-2014, 09:53 PM
Regarding previous posters HMG and Aurora...

Seven drops! If they could guarantee me two or three, I might go again, but seven??? That's exactly why I don't go...I'm afraid of too many drops, or one great big one.

May as well get the jacket!

disneynarula
05-09-2014, 04:39 AM
I'm not a big roller coaster fan - can tolerate some but not my favorite. On the other hand, Tower of Terror is one of my favorite rides!!

I feel the same way.