PDA

View Full Version : Taxi vs Magical Express

mooshelly21
02-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used a taxi to get to the boardwalk resort instead of magical express? Trying to get an idea of what it would cost. Thanks!!

DizneyRox
02-27-2013, 05:53 PM
We used limo/town car services, thought it was a decent value. I forget now what it was, been a number of years, but you can look at the sponsors and get an idea.

I like having my luggage with me at all times, and felt in general that we got there quicker including the grocery stop we often take.

faline
02-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Welcome to Intercot!! :mickey:

The biggest advantage of Magical Express is that it doesn't cost you any additional money to get transported between the airport and your resort. The downside is that it's a pretty impersonal service. You get directed to a line. Your line is led to a bus. You board the bus and sometimes sit (depending on time of day) for a bit until you head off. You can also visit more than one resort before arriving at your resort.

I think if you research the cost of a taxi, you will find that you can book a private limo service for about the same amount of money. I'd suggest you look at Intercot sponsor, Quicksilver (http://www.quicksilver-tours.com/). I have used their service in the past. If you request, they will also stop at a grocery store on the way to the resort so you can do a quick shop before arriving at your resort. Plusses are that your driver will meet you at the airport, help you with your bags and you won't share the ride with others.

If you want to price out the cost of cab fare, you might try the farefinder site (http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=Orlando).

T-Belle
02-27-2013, 06:14 PM
This was a couple of years ago but I took a Taxi from the Poly to MCO and with tip it was around $90.! That was 1 person, 1 piece of luggage. I think Magical Express is probably one of the best "extras" Disney has to offer. On this trip I'll be staying at SOG so ME will not be available to me so I booked Intercot sponser, Quicksilver. Round trip with a free stop at a grocery store is only $120.! A FANTASTIC deal!

brownie
02-27-2013, 08:30 PM
:welcome:

mooshelly21, welcome to INTERCOT!

i'm grumpy
05-14-2013, 10:24 AM
The fares to Oralando are so high, we have looked at flying into Sanford. Not too happy about paying for transport from there though.
:(

SBETigg
05-14-2013, 10:34 AM
You will do better with a car service than a taxi, cost-wise. A car service, you will know the cost in advance, plus usually travel in nicer cars than taxis. You can check out the websites and get estimates.

We've also used Quicksilver to mixed reviews, usually very good. We took a taxi once and it ended up costing more than the car service. It was $65 plus tip about five years ago. We'd arranged a better price for the return trip through Quicksilver but ended up using a taxi for convenience after a change of plans thinking it would cost about the same. Don't forget to add in the cost of a tip for the driver in any paid transport scenario-- but we also tip our DME drivers. Magic Express is a great service and we use it happily unless we're pressed for time or staying at the Dolphin/Swan, which doesn't use the service.

i'm grumpy
05-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks. After adding in the extra fees for Allegiant and the $200 plus for a ride from Sanford, we are re-thinking this.

DizneyRox
05-14-2013, 04:44 PM
Thanks. After adding in the extra fees for Allegiant and the $200 plus for a ride from Sanford, we are re-thinking this.
Yes, I always tell people to make sure you include all the fees associated with alternate plans. Staying off site means parking and far rental often need to bundled into the room cost.

i'm grumpy
05-14-2013, 08:05 PM
:mad: Fare to Orlando went up again. I give up.

LudwigVonDrake
05-26-2013, 10:27 PM
I prefer Magical Express. I consider it part of the experience :mickey:

i'm grumpy
05-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Even the fares to Sanford got so high, we cancelled our room. :(