PDA

View Full Version : um....losing weight to go to Disney?

mom2morgan
02-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Feel like I need to post this here to make it official, LOL :blush: We went in September, and although I always love it, it was quite a disappointing trip for me. I've gained SO much weight over the years that my feet were in agony and I ended up skipping a lot of things that I wanted to do. When we went to Universal, there were rides I was scared to try for fear I wouldn't "fit". So, clearly - not the most ideal experience. It took me a few months to really commit, but I've decided I need to fix this, and I'm making some progress but I have a LONG way to go. We had no real plans to return to Disney in the foreseeable future - it is a very expensive trip from where we are, and I had promised my husband to do a different destination next since he's a little tired of Disney (I know, shocking!). Anyway, he just told me that if I meet my own goal (all he cares about is that I'm healthy enough to get around and enjoy myself) he'll treat me to a dream Disney "do over" :-) :cloud9:

dobby2010
02-26-2013, 11:02 PM
Good for you! You should reward yourself after every so many pounds with something for your trip like every ten pounds you get a Disney shirt or fun travel bag or book a spa appointment for your trip or something. Good luck!

Zippy 1
02-26-2013, 11:31 PM
We should be weight loss buddies! I to am trying to loose all the weight I have gained. It has been a slow start as I have been sick since Christmas. Wicked cough which makes working out hard. I am just starting now.

DisneyDINK
02-26-2013, 11:38 PM
You can do it. It won't be easy, but you can do it.

BrerGnat
02-27-2013, 08:17 AM
Sounds like some solid motivation to me!

You can do it. But, your ultimate goal shouldn't be the Disney trip...it should be to feel and be healthier. Because, once the Disney trip comes and goes, what's to stop you from returning to your old habits? You can come over and post on the Healthy Living Club thread in the Water Cooler. Lots of people over there trying to lose weight and/or be healthier.

Good luck to you!

minnie04
02-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Great idea,:thumbsup: I have been hold on to a few extra pounds too. I wanted to lose 20 before spring break and I just can’t seem to get motivated. I should use my Disney trip to motivate me as well. And when it’s over plan another one to keep the motivation going...lol.. I’m sure you are doing this to feel healther as well and once you achieve your goal plan another motivating goal such as a 3 or 5k walk/run. I hope I can do this too. I’m getting tired of hold this weight on and I want to be free!!!!

I wish you all the luck in the world on this. Keep us posted :mickey:

dnickels
02-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Great idea to use a Disney trip as motivation!

Like BrerGnat said, your health is more important than anything, especially Disney so use the Disney trip as short-term motivation, but try to make the changes a lifestyle. If you're otherwise young and healthy but your weight is causing pain and other issues you need to get it under control. My g/f works on almost a daily basis with patients suffering from the effects of diabetes and other issues caused from years and years of being overweight. I can promise you that when it gets to that point none of them are saying that if they could go back and do it again they'd still be 'pooh' sized, they all wish they could go back and make changes while they were still capable of doing so.

Good luck, find a buddy to help keep you accountable and stick with it! :thumbsup:

cer
02-27-2013, 10:45 AM
Do it. It is absolutely worth it, but the rewards from the weight loss are so much greater than even a trip to WDW! :mickey:

I started my weight loss journey Jan 2, 2011. That year I lost 52 pounds. It has changed my life completely. I am now able to do things I never was able to do (like run) and it is such a blessing that my weight is no longer holding me back.

You absolutely owe it to yourself to do this. Make small changes and build on those. Don't be afraid to get better.

One of my favorite quotes that was a real motivator for me in the beginning is this....

"A year from now you will have wish you started today."

Go get 'em! :thumbsup:

Pally
02-27-2013, 12:14 PM
I think this can be a good motivator. When I quit smoking 22 years ago I decided on three motivating factors. 1.) My husband was never a smoker. 2.) I wanted to start a family but really did not want to expose my children to smoking. 3.) If I could go six months without smoking I would save every cent I would spend on smoking and go on a shopping trip to Maine.

I was able to accomplish this always keeping in mind that I was doing this for my childred with a short term reward, SHOPPING guilt free.

In the end, I had a blast on my shopping trip with my sister-in-law to Maine. We had so much fun. Quitting smoking is so freeing.

I have also used a future trip to get through very stress situations like serious illness in the family in that I had something to look forward to. I was able to escape in the planning for short periods of time. That there is something good.

In regards to losing weight, I have also been trying to eat healthier and in the end have lost 16-18 pounds since last August. I have found using the Canada Food Guide and paying attention to portion size is the key. I have been going to our local grocery store who is offering a free healthy weight program for 8 weeks. It is being run by a professional dietician and using the Canada Food Guide. It has really opened my eyes.

Let us know how you are doing. We all need to help motivate each other.:mickey:

mom2morgan
02-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Good for you! You should reward yourself after every so many pounds with something for your trip like every ten pounds you get a Disney shirt or fun travel bag or book a spa appointment for your trip or something. Good luck!

ooooh...great idea! Thanks!

mom2morgan
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
We should be weight loss buddies! I to am trying to loose all the weight I have gained. It has been a slow start as I have been sick since Christmas. Wicked cough which makes working out hard. I am just starting now.
Oh, that's too bad! It sure is hard to start when you are under the weather. Sending positive "vibes" your way ;-)

mom2morgan
02-27-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the support! And yes, I'm totally doing this for the health benefits. I had no idea my sweet hubby would come up with the Disney trip as a surprise (and since it means him giving up a trip to some place he'd rather go, it really shows how great he is). That's just the sugar-free, fat-free icing on the (low carb, low fat) cake!

Dopey's Girl
02-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Congrats on making the change!

I'm working on it too. I don't weigh myself, because the scale is the enemy in my life. But I have joined a gym, and have lost about 3 pants sizes. That's how I'm noting my progress. It's a struggle every single day, but even when I have the extra piece of pizza, or a candy bar, I don't beat myself up about it. I just get back on the treadmill!

Disney is my goal too. There are a number of us who are going to meet next January for the 2014 marathon weekend. I'm running the 5k. I have never been able to run because of my weight, so it's something I have always wanted to check off my bucket list. The group on the runDisney board here on Intercot has been really supportive. It helps knowing that a) I'm going to get to see all my Disney buddies and b) I'm doing something good for myself. It's just nice to have a prize to keep your eye on!

Dragongirlx
02-28-2013, 03:59 AM
I am trying to lose weight too. I have been going through a really stressful time in my life and have been using that as an excuse not to exercise or eat healthily. Last week I decided enough was enough, my weight and health were contributing to my stress and whilst I can't do anything about other factors that are contributing I can do something about this. I am using weight watchers online to try and lose around 2 stone (28 pounds). This worked well for me in the past
Good luck to everyone else who is trying to do this too.

TheVBs
02-28-2013, 10:08 AM
All of the above! I think you've got great motivation and you can definitely do this! :mickey:

GottaLvDisney
03-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Great motivation to get you started on a healthier you. What a sweet hubby you have! I'm forever trying to lost a few pounds and it's always nice to have a special way to celebrate when you get to your goal. I'm sure you'll do great!

LVT
03-15-2013, 04:28 PM
That is great. Being fit and walk a lot ,:thumbsup: then be a Disney park commando. Imagine 9 miles of walking each day, without pain.

minnie-mouse
03-25-2013, 08:41 AM
Good for you! It's never too late to make a change. I too just lost weight 37 lbs. working out 5 days a week and giving up drinking and eating sugar. We are going to WDW in a month and I can't wait to walk around and feel less sore and tired. It is a great motivator to know you are getting healthy and going to take a great vacation after you accomplish your goals.

The best advice I can give you on your journey that helped me is, make every day count. When you are getting exercise, don't jsut go thru the motions, make every workout count. Work hard and before you know it your 30-60 minutes is up. And it is all worth it! Think about what you are eating, and learn to eat sensibly. A friend told me a great quote, "Eat to live, not live to eat!" and that helped a great deal. I think of food now as fuel for me to have energy. And yes, occasionally I will have a cheat item, but it is alwahys a spponful or just a bite. Hope these tips help. And Congratulations on getting healthy. Life is so much more enjoyable when you know you have done all you can to be fit and healthy. Good luck!

conan617
04-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Way to go and congratulations! I started my weight loss journey with WDW in mind. When I started researching our trip for my kids, I found that I would need to be walking up to 5 miles a day. I was very out of shape and really didn't walk unless I was headed to the kitchen. In Feb '11 seven months before our trip I started by just walking a little at a time. By Sept and our trip I was down 30 lbs. Now two years later, I will be competing in my 3rd Half Marathon next month and I'm down 60lbs. Just remember to believe in yourself and lean on others when you need support. Also - reward yourself when you win. A special outfit, a day at the spa - (I had lots of dole whips and zebra domes on the trip :mickey: but got right back on the horse when we left). Don't hesitate to PM me if you need a little support. Remember - the last one to cross the finish line...still crosses the finish line!

diz_girl
04-03-2013, 01:50 PM
You're not alone. I'll be losing weight to go to Disney too.

I've been to Disney back when I was thin (I miss being thin :( ), when I was pregnant, between kids, and after my youngest was born. Let's just say that my most recent trip was when I was at my heaviest (non-pregnant) and I definitely looked and felt heavy. So I need a change and my upcoming trip in November is just the motivation that I need.

I used to run before kids (with a 20K and half-marathon under my belt), but haven't run with any regularity since the kids were born. We also moved from an area that was great for running (we lived near the ocean and I'd run on the boardwalk) to one that isn't.

However, I just signed up for the Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K during the Wine & Dine Half-Marathon weekend. My goal is to lose 40 pounds by New Year's Day 2014, and lose at least 30 of those pounds by the time of the 5K.

I'd also recommend the Healthy Living Club thread. Good luck!

bostonchic13
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
congrats!I myself felt like the last time could have been more enjoyable so decided to try WW its only my first week but lost 5 so far...keep it up and wish you lots of luck

NewDVCowner
04-03-2013, 05:47 PM
congrats!I myself felt like the last time could have been more enjoyable so decided to try WW its only my first week but lost 5 so far...keep it up and wish you lots of luck

Weight Watchers is a great program. I joined last June and have lost 58 pounds. I have about ten more to get to my personal goal but am officially in my healthy weight range. Stick with it!

mom2morgan
07-08-2013, 11:20 PM
As of today, I am down 50! Still have a long way to go, but thought that was a nice round number to celebrate :party::party:

Mickey'sGirl
07-09-2013, 08:39 AM
As of today, I am down 50! Still have a long way to go, but thought that was a nice round number to celebrate :party::party:
Congratulations! :thumbsup:

Pally
07-09-2013, 02:07 PM
What an accomplishment!. Good for you. Cheering you on. Your motivation of going to Disney and being more comfortable is awesome. :thumbsup:

LauraF
07-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Congrats!
It's not easy, but it's so worth it.

You obviously picked the right motivation. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-12-2013, 08:18 AM
I am trying to lose weight too. I have been going through a really stressful time in my life and have been using that as an excuse not to exercise or eat healthily. Last week I decided enough was enough, my weight and health were contributing to my stress and whilst I can't do anything about other factors that are contributing I can do something about this. I am using weight watchers online to try and lose around 2 stone (28 pounds). This worked well for me in the past
Good luck to everyone else who is trying to do this too.

yes I recommend Weight Watchers too, it really works and nothing is off limits, good luck to you

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-12-2013, 08:19 AM

Oh I just read the update, how wonderful. I started two months ago and have lost 21 lbs with a long, long way to go

mom2morgan
07-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Oh I just read the update, how wonderful. I started two months ago and have lost 21 lbs with a long, long way to go
Good work! Yep, I still have a long, long way as well - so we'll just have to cheer each other on ;-) I'm doing Atkins - Weight Watchers didn't help me much because I was still hungry and had cravings a lot.

Arielfan98
07-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I myself am struggling to lose weight and get in shape before my Disney trip in mid August. Good for you I wish I started as early as you had and I definitely think we should start a Healthy Living Club thread here on intercot for support.

mom2morgan
11-09-2013, 03:12 PM
75 pounds today :party: That is really only about half way to my ultimate goal, but I feel pretty confident I'd be able to fit on most of the rides over at Universal now ;-)

cer
11-09-2013, 04:51 PM
75 pounds today :party: That is really only about half way to my ultimate goal, but I feel pretty confident I'd be able to fit on most of the rides over at Universal now ;-)

You are so amazing! Congratulations! :thumbsup:

brownie
11-09-2013, 06:25 PM

:thumbsup: Way to go!

marlyn
11-09-2013, 08:25 PM

Congratulations! :thumbsup:

I would also like to lose weight before my August trip! You have inspired me!

MississippiDisneyFreak
11-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Awesome:thumbsup:

mom2morgan
04-05-2014, 10:59 AM
OKAAY!!! I've lost 101 pounds! Now we just need to start saving up for the trip :-) :cloud9: Hopefully I'll be at goal weight by around Christmas - but that last 25 pounds sure took awhile, LOL

dnickels
04-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Good for you! That's an awesome accomplishment that will provide benefits in every area of your life.

MNNHFLTX
04-06-2014, 06:56 PM
Wow, to have that kind of goal and then come so far in one year is amazing! Very inspiring!

DisneyDINK
04-06-2014, 10:27 PM
OKAAY!!! I've lost 101 pounds! Now we just need to start saving up for the trip :-) :cloud9: Hopefully I'll be at goal weight by around Christmas - but that last 25 pounds sure took awhile, LOL

Well done! Yeah, the last bit isn't easy. :thumbsup:

Tiggerlovr9000
04-07-2014, 09:55 PM

Wow you are awesome. I just found this post and I need to lose weight too. Have to lose 70lbs and as a reward, we will be going to wdw April 2015. Congrats on all your hard work...

cer
04-08-2014, 07:21 AM

So happy for you!

KylesMom
04-09-2014, 03:25 PM
That is absolutely wonderful - what an amazing accomplishment! It takes a lot of guts to look yourself in the mirror and say that you need to change - and then make it happen. I hope for nothing but continued success on reaching your goal - and saving money for a trip that is more than well deserved! :mickey:

DaisylovesDonald
04-16-2014, 08:22 PM

This is very inspiring! CONGRATS!!! Would you care to share your tips and tricks for losing the weight? I have been trying to lose 50 lbs, and I am down about 17 lbs, but it is very slow going. Now that the good weather is here, (coupled with healthy eating) I am hoping to jump start my walking and hope the lbs come off a bit easier!

Congrats again, and please keep us posted! :thumbsup: