Mendelson
02-19-2013, 12:44 PM
How it's Cinderella Castle, but
Cinderella’s Royal Table

Discuss amongst yourselves...

02-19-2013, 02:21 PM
How it's Cinderella Castle, but
Cinderella’s Royal Table

Actually THE Cinderella Castle and, she purchased the exclusive naming rights in perpetuity from Walt and Roy and is the franchiseholder for the restaurant. Bet she pays "ROYALTIES" too. (drum roll or rim shot please-thank you)

Be on the lookout for one to possibly come to your area soon.

Just like Coke and all the other franchises that dot the parks.

K8screen
02-20-2013, 07:44 AM
It was even weirder when it was called King Stefans Banquetting hall. Why was SLEEPING BEAUTY's dad running a restaurant in CINDY's castle? I suppose thats why they changed it, but why call it that in the first place?
(I know this question has come up heaps of times before)

BrerGnat
02-20-2013, 08:40 AM
It sounds better when you say it out loud that way. And that is probably the ONLY reason.

Castle has an "s" sound. If you add another "s" sound at the end of Cinderella, and then say "castle", you sound like you have a lisp.

That doesn't happen with "Royal Table", and actually, Cinderella's Royal Table flows better off the tongue.

Mendelson
02-20-2013, 08:53 AM
She pays royalties?? :-) Getting that agreement from her was Walt's crowning achievement, I guess, from which Disney has made a king's ransom. I'd like to see prints of that signed document (okay, that one was a stretch).

BrerGnat might be right, but they had to know very few people were going to say it right. I even read and see people steeped in Disney who get it wrong...even high-level employees.

EJS-Houston
02-20-2013, 09:46 AM
It was even weirder when it was called King Stefans Banquetting hall. Why was SLEEPING BEAUTY's dad running a restaurant in CINDY's castle? I suppose thats why they changed it, but why call it that in the first place?

Maybe that was a carry-over from the California park, where the castle is Sleeping Beauty's Castle?

Polynesian Dweller
02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Maybe that was a carry-over from the California park, where the castle is Sleeping Beauty's Castle?

Uh, no. It's Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland as it is also at Tokyo Disneyland and the Disneyland Paris name also translates to Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Looks like its just Disney's naming convention for the castles that started with the original.

Melanie
02-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Uh, no. It's Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland as it is also at Tokyo Disneyland and the Disneyland Paris name also translates to Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Technically, it's Cinderella Castle in Tokyo, and Sleeping Beauty Castle in Hong Kong.

brad192
02-20-2013, 02:32 PM
I vaguely remember an article I read a few years ago where this question came up. I believe the interviewer was with an imagineer & asked this, and the response was that a princess cannot own her own castle (in Storybookland), but can have a castle named after her. Thus, the non-possesive names for the castles. However, Cinderella could most certinly throw a big dinner (or breakfast) party, which would have a possesive name attached to it. Makes sense to me. :mickey:

EJS-Houston
02-21-2013, 11:44 AM

Looks like its just Disney's naming convention for the castles that started with the original.

Last time I checked, Disneyland is in California.

Mendelson
02-21-2013, 12:15 PM
I vaguely remember an article I read a few years ago where this question came up. I believe the interviewer was with an imagineer & asked this, and the response was that a princess cannot own her own castle (in Storybookland), but can have a castle named after her. Thus, the non-possesive names for the castles. However, Cinderella could most certinly throw a big dinner (or breakfast) party, which would have a possesive name attached to it. Makes sense to me. :mickey:

Thanks...glad to know this!

snowflakegirl
02-23-2013, 02:05 PM

I was just going to say the same thing...must have read the same article.

SBETigg
02-23-2013, 04:25 PM

Also my first thought. I ate there when it was King Stefan's Banquet Hall. Good memories, but I haven't felt a need to go back for Cinderella's Royal Table. She's the supposed host of the hall, thus the possessive. But the castle is simply named in her honor, I guess.