PDA

View Full Version : Electric food steamer recipes?

DisneyDog
02-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Just bought an electric food steamer and I'm looking for some recipes or ideas for using it. I have tried making hard cooked eggs, mussels, shrimp and scallops and some veggies. The eggs and the seafood turned out great. I overcooked the veggies so I need to play around with that a bit (I ended up throwing them in some soup broth, so that's ok.)

Can anyone recommend some uses (and times for cooking)? We are trying to eat healthier so my hubby can lose weight (10 pounds down, 40 to go...)

DisneyorBust
02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
No recipes to share but I wanted to wish your husband good luck with his weight loss program!

BrerGnat
02-19-2013, 08:22 AM
You can pretty much steam anything. Steaming skinless chicken makes it really tender, you can shred it and use it in soups, mix with BBQ sauce, chicken salad, etc.

When you steam veggies, hard root veggies like carrots and potatoes take the most time. Most other veggies can steam in about 2 minutes. When doing veggies, makes sure you have a single layer of them. Don't pile them up.

You can also steam "packets" of meats and veggies. Wrap them in parchment paper, drizzle some olive oil, lemon juice, herbs, etc over it and then fold it up. There are various recipes online for this kind of thing using chicken or fish.

DisneyDog
02-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Oooh, thanks Natalie! I was searching for recipes and found virtually nothing. I'm a librarian and I'm pretty darn good at Internet searching, so I thought it was strange. Once I added the keyword "packet" I got lots of hits. Thank you!!

Belle of the Ball 051411
02-19-2013, 04:20 PM
I think Willliams-Sonoma has some recipes on their website. Google their steam oven and then once on the page, click on the recipe tab. :)

DisneyDog
02-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Just got a cookbook through the library system called "cooking with steam." I think it's going to help :)