PDA

View Full Version : RFID - Getting Annoying

Maleficent's Dad
02-17-2013, 10:49 AM
So, if you buy a package through Disney, your park passes are RFID enabled. If you purchase AP's (which we have) or from any other vendor (such as AAA), your paper ticket isn't RFID enabled, correct?

Well here's my problem with this...
Getting into the parks is a major hassle!!! Unless your ticket is an RFID ticket. RFID kiosks now occupy about 1/2 the turnstiles. And they're building more and more RFID.
So those of us with AP's are stuck in ridiculously slow moving huge lines!!! At DHS this morning (2/17) the paper ticket line extended way past the bag check, going 1/2 way to the bus stop!!! While RFID line was non-existent!!!
Implement the RFID, fine, but with all tkts! I feel like AP holders are being penalized!

Itchy
02-17-2013, 11:34 AM
It would be nice for you guys if they had a few line for those with the annual passes like when they have early hours for resort guests and they move you to special lines to get in the parks before the other guests. They could also make some of the RFDI points where they will accept either card.

But that makes sense so we know that will not happen...:blush:

SBETigg
02-17-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm staying at the Dolphin in March and I was just wondering how this was going to work. I won't have the RFID not staying at a Disney resort, I suppose, so I guess it's longer lines for me. But what about Fastpass? Is it the same or will I be missing out?

MickeysBestPal
02-17-2013, 12:08 PM
So, if you buy a package through Disney, your park passes are RFID enabled. If you purchase AP's (which we have) or from any other vendor (such as AAA), your paper ticket isn't RFID enabled, correct?

Well here's my problem with this...
Getting into the parks is a major hassle!!! Unless your ticket is an RFID ticket. RFID kiosks now occupy about 1/2 the turnstiles. And they're building more and more RFID.
So those of us with AP's are stuck in ridiculously slow moving huge lines!!! At DHS this morning (2/17) the paper ticket line extended way past the bag check, going 1/2 way to the bus stop!!! While RFID line was non-existent!!!

Implement the RFID, fine, but with all tkts! I feel like AP holders are being penalized!

Are you sure that you can't exchange your "paper" AP for a new RFID enabled AP plastic ticket at Guest Relations?

They just started distributing/trading/selling the new RFID tickets a week ago.
Don't know if these can be AP's or not (but I don't see why not.)

BrerGnat
02-17-2013, 12:19 PM
Are you sure that you can't exchange your "paper" AP for a new RFID enabled AP plastic ticket at Guest Relations?

They just started distributing/trading/selling the new RFID tickets a week ago.
Don't know if these can be AP's or not (but I don't see why not.)

No, right now, the system is still in "testing" or phase 1 of the roll out. Only select guests are being given RFID tickets.

DizneyFreak2002
02-17-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm staying at the Dolphin in March and I was just wondering how this was going to work. I won't have the RFID not staying at a Disney resort, I suppose, so I guess it's longer lines for me. But what about Fastpass? Is it the same or will I be missing out?

Fastpass is still the same... for now... Fastpass+ hasn't been rolled out yet...

Christine
02-17-2013, 12:37 PM
I asked if AP holders could get a plastic card ticket. I was told no. That when ap holders lose their cards or they become deactivated due to mobile phones or whatever reason, they are able to reprint it for free since it's on paper. If they went plastic they'd had to charge for reprints.
:scratch:

My family has had to have an AP reprinted maybe twice a year. MAYBE. Usually bc the paper is so worn from use.
If guests at hotels lose their keys, or it becomes inactivated , that would be two reprints in a week & They aren't charged.

I'm not buying that.

MickeysBestPal
02-17-2013, 12:39 PM
No, right now, the system is still in "testing" or phase 1 of the roll out. Only select guests are being given RFID tickets.

Sorry, but that's dated info.
All guests can trade their tix at the parks' GR for RFID tix. I just don't know about AP'S yet.

Strmchsr
02-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Sorry, but that's dated info. All guests can trade their tix at the parks' GR for RFID tix. I just don't know about AP'S yet.

Still no on APs. Supposedly within a month or two APs will be switched over to the wristbands but for now it's just the paper ticket. All other guests, as of 2 weeks ago, now have the RFID tickets.

MickeysBestPal
02-17-2013, 12:55 PM
I asked if AP holders could get a plastic card ticket.

1- I was told no.

That when ap holders lose their cards or they become deactivated due to mobile phones or whatever reason, they are able to reprint it for free since it's on paper. If they went plastic they'd had to charge for reprints.
:scratch:

My family has had to have an AP reprinted maybe twice a year. MAYBE. Usually bc the paper is so worn from use.
If guests at hotels lose their keys, or it becomes inactivated , that would be two reprints in a week & They aren't charged.

2- I'm not buying that.

1- Sounds like that part is still true.

2-Good, because the reasons offered are simply not true. ;)

02-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Bar code tickets can be "hand scanned" at V Entries depending on the length of lines at rotating turnstiles and the coordinator for the V Entries on duty (some resetting of the hand helds has to be done to read them correctly).

If lines get long, sometimes guests are directed to the V Entries, at least at MK, unless it's changed in the last 3 weeks or so.

Dopey's Girl
02-17-2013, 02:06 PM
I brought this up to a guest relations manager at Epcot in January, and from his response, I know I wasn't the only one. He basically said that there wasn't anything he could do except pass on my complaint. So annoying. As AP holders we shouldn't be punished with longer lines to get in just because they didn't stop to think about the ramifications this 'improvement' would have on us!

My2Sons
02-17-2013, 02:11 PM
We just got back from WDW and the park entry was confusing a lot of people. They had Cast Members telling you which line to get in but a lot of people got into the wrong line anyway. The CMs at the turnstiles kept trying to explain it, but if the person holding a paper ticket got belligerent or seemed to not understand, they sent them to a person with a handheld scanner who let them in.
I'm not really sure what they are trying to accomplish, but it was mass confusion, and we go at an extremely slow time (at least - until the cheerleaders got there! :girl:
What I didn't like was trying to buy things and charge them to the room card and having to remember the PIN. (But then again, I don't like change).
All of that being said, I think AP people should get a plastic card regardless. Seems like it would hold up better.

ASweetLov
02-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Maybe I am slow, but what is RFID? I always stay on property, will this be affecting me?

02-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Maybe I am slow, but what is RFID? I always stay on property, will this be affecting me?

RFID is a "chip" embedded in the room key with your data programmed on it.

Basically, yes. All Disney resorts should now be completely changed over ( I think it actually was complete a couple of weeks ago) to "chipped" (RFID) door locks. Your room key will have an RFID chip in it and will just have to be held near the lock rather than being inserted. Some pool areas also have RFID readers on the fence gates.

As to whether it will affect you at park entry, it will depend on whether you have your park tickets added to your room key or not. If you do, you will be going in the V Entries instead of the mechanical rotation turnstiles at each park. Similar entry, scan your card, biometric finger scan but no rotating turnstile. Ticket info will be stored on the chip instead of the magnetic striping of the ticket.

RFID does a lot of other things also, but this is just a small overview.

Strmchsr
02-17-2013, 02:41 PM

It's radio frequency identification. Basically a little radio chip is embedded in your Key to the World card. Yes, it will affect you on property. Instead of swiping your card to get into your room you now just tap the key on the lock. Same thing to get into the parks - you tap your card on the device instead of it being run through the machine. That's how you will pay, get your fastpasses, and everything. RFID will be built into pretty much everything at WDW within the next few months.

02-17-2013, 02:48 PM
No need to "tap" the card on the lock or the readers, just wave it within an inch or so (recommended but it will actually read it a lot farther away) and it will read it.

Maleficent's Dad
02-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Most of the questions have already been answered. FP is, for the moment, exactly the same. There were SOME hand scanners at this morning's park entry (DHS), but it was still a zoo (we were in line at 8:15 for a 9:00 opening). I know this is a transitional phase, I get it. But it sure isn't a very smooth transitional phase. And problem is, NO ONE has any answers to my questions or responses to the complaints (I wasn't complaining, but the people around me sure were!).

By the way, it didn't help that it was 39 degrees Fahrenheit at that time this morning!!!!

02-17-2013, 03:40 PM
FWIW: by the end of the year or first part of 2014, varies by park, all entries should be fully (and completely) operational with the new chipped tickets.

bethian
02-17-2013, 03:47 PM
I think I'm in the slow group as well :confused:... my question is this. We are staying on property, but recently purchased our park tix through the official ticket center so they are completely unrelated to our resort room cards. How do they get merged, or am I missing something completely. Can they do this at the resort when we check in??

MickeysBestPal
02-17-2013, 04:11 PM
I think I'm in the slow group as well :confused:... my question is this. We are staying on property, but recently purchased our park tix through the official ticket center so they are completely unrelated to our resort room cards. How do they get merged, or am I missing something completely. Can they do this at the resort when we check in??

You can get your tickets "put onto" your resort key-cards at the resort concierge desk.
(If the CM will do it for you. Some don't know how.)

-OR-

Just take your tickets to any Guest Relations outside any of the theme parks, TTC or DTD and they will reissue your discounted tickets on new plastic RFID tickets.

VWL Mom
02-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Sorry the RFID isn't going well but good to see you're back. Some of us were a little worried when you disappeared after Sandy especially that you were out on LI.

Try to make the best of a bad situation and enjoy the rest of your trip.

Maleficent's Dad
02-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Sorry the RFID isn't going well but good to see you're back. Some of us were a little worried when you disappeared after Sandy especially that you were out on LI.

Try to make the best of a bad situation and enjoy the rest of your trip.
Hi Lynn,
Thanks for the kind words - I'm surprised anyone would notice an absence from these boards! Sandy is a topic for another discussion, but i personally fared fine, all things considered.

We're not having a bad trip; in fact other than the cold temps today, it's been downright pleasant. Park entry, however, has been extremely frustrating each day. I'm a very good consumer for Disney, and I usually preach their greatness, but this transition to RFID has been, from all I can ascertain, a real disappointment.
Intercot has been relatively calm & quiet about My Magic +. Some other sites/boards, people haven't been so kind (sort of like a PR nightmare for Disney, given their billion dollar investment). I've taken the "wait & see" approach. So far I've seen only a little, and I certainly don't like it.

DisneyGuy1979
02-17-2013, 04:55 PM
I guess I too am slow here is my question . My wife & I both have 9 park visits & 9 fun visits left on are No expiration tickets . Will my tickets be grandfathered in .

MickeysBestPal
02-17-2013, 04:59 PM
I guess I too am slow here is my question . My wife & I both have 9 park visits & 9 fun visits left on are No expiration tickets . Will my tickets be grandfathered in .

Yes.

EIther continue to use them, as-is...

-OR-

Take them to any Guest Relations outside any WDW theme park, TTC or DTD and they will, at no charge, re-issue you new plastic RFID tickets with the same assets as your current tickets.
If you do that, you can take advantage of any of the things that Disney is
upgrading to be RFID compatible.

DisneyGuy1979
02-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Thank You for the prompt response . 72 hours then it's off to see Mickey :mickey:

FLKatie912
02-17-2013, 05:16 PM
I am not so sure how I completely feel about the new Disney Experience + stuff. However, these are all just baby-steps in the process. Touch-To-Pay is almost everywhere now. I've seen tests for FastPass+ and the Magic Bands occur, and of course, the turnstyle-less gates. It would be even more mass chaos if all of a sudden ONE DAY everything switched over. It will take time to change this entire process over, but unfortunately for now, everything will be half and half. The turn-style less entry has been testing for weeks and I haven't seen a line like was see at Hollywood Studios this AM, but I suppose it's because it is a VERY busy weekend with President's Day on Monday. Eventually, it seems like the goal is to have them all like this, but it seems as if they haven't completed the process even for resort guests since they are just "testing" Magic Band this weekend.

bouncer
02-17-2013, 06:42 PM
What is in place to prevent "illegal" entry? If there is no turnstile to stop someone whose ticket is inop what will happen if a RFID pass doesn't work? People always find a way to manipulate the system - is this one foolproof?

Strmchsr
02-17-2013, 06:57 PM
What is in place to prevent "illegal" entry? If there is no turnstile to stop someone whose ticket is inop what will happen if a RFID pass doesn't work? People always find a way to manipulate the system - is this one foolproof?

There are still cast members at each turnstile verifying the guests as they go through.

FLKatie912
02-17-2013, 07:16 PM
There are still cast members at each turnstile verifying the guests as they go through.

I found this concept puzzling as well. However, there's Cast Members at turnstyles now and that doesn't prevent people from trying to sneak in, so I suppose it really makes no diffence on the sneaking in factor and will eventually make the lines more efficient once the change over is complete.

02-17-2013, 07:36 PM

There are CM's at the touch pads have an iPod touch that tracks the status of the ticket/biometric results. If no anomoly, guest goes on through. If problem, there are CM's from Guest Relations that are advised of the problem and they handle it on the "backside" of the entry.

As far as the physical barrier, that is something I brought up to "management" after the testing at Epcot in the Fall of 2011. Right now (unless it has changed in the last 3 weeks or so) there is no physical barrier. It has been discussed but not at our "drone" level (above my pay grade).

I suspect that later this year there will be changes made, possibly when the new ones open soon that will address this issue. Might see more when I get back down later this week.

Will this be a positive change, only time will tell. Personally, I see some aspects (that guest's wouldn't have knowledge of) that will make certain elements of the operations more efficient and that could relate to a more positive guest experience but as a stockholder, I'm having a real hard time in seeing where the return on investment is.

In my prior work life I was a sales mgr. for awhile for a co. that designed and built security entries, both mag strip and RFID, for worldwide clients, so I see things a bit differently than some Disney managers that are just responsible for the implementation do.

Just my $.02

MNDisney Dad
02-17-2013, 07:56 PM
Haven't been to the World coming up on three years and the way things seem to be going, it may be quite a bit longer before we go again. DL has become our park of choice the last few years.

Maleficent's Dad
02-17-2013, 09:17 PM
I am not so sure how I completely feel about the new Disney Experience + stuff. However, these are all just baby-steps in the process. Touch-To-Pay is almost everywhere now. I've seen tests for FastPass+ and the Magic Bands occur, and of course, the turnstyle-less gates. It would be even more mass chaos if all of a sudden ONE DAY everything switched over. It will take time to change this entire process over, but unfortunately for now, everything will be half and half. The turn-style less entry has been testing for weeks and I haven't seen a line like was see at Hollywood Studios this AM, but I suppose it's because it is a VERY busy weekend with President's Day on Monday.
The "touch to pay" is everywhere, but very temperamental!!! It's worked once for me (room key is RFID), failed 3 times. CM's chuckle, state that "it never works, we're lucky when it does!"

And yes, I know (and knew coming in) that this is one of the busiest weeks of the year. We come every president's week - won't take the kids out of school - and deal with it. Crowds don't bother us too much. What we don't get to today will still be here in a few months.

As far as the physical barrier, that is something I brought up to "management" after the testing at Epcot in the Fall of 2011. Right now (unless it has changed in the last 3 weeks or so) there is no physical barrier. It has been discussed but not at our "drone" level (above my pay grade).
This is a great point...
Very odd that the RFID "turnstiles" are wide open areas... You're spot on, there are no physical barriers! This struck me as odd - a security concern for sure.

02-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Very odd that the RFID "turnstiles" are wide open areas... You're spot on, there are no physical barriers! This struck me as odd - a security concern for sure.

Actually, I was told that they wanted them open, the idea being that gates were an impediment to strollers, wheelchairs and scooters (which we seem to have an abundance of). By having the non-gates, people don't have to seperate to go through the V Entry and no waiting or crossing over from side to side to go through. Traffic flow and not security was the over-riding issue evidently.

Really makes it a bit harder to see who belongs to who of families. Was hard enough with the old turnstiles as some families the male would not let each person have their own ticket and had to stand there and put each ticket in himself for his family, slowing down the process quite a bit. That part still hasn't changed a lot.

buzznwoodysmom
02-17-2013, 10:53 PM
We just got back from a week in Disney and we had no issues knowing which line we could go through or how to use the new entry method after the first time going through. I did see CMs having to help guests scan their cards to get in, but even my children (ages 13 and 10) had no problems figuring it out by watching what was done with the guests ahead of us. I also didn't mind having to input our pin number. I just picked a pin that was easy for all of us to remember. I told my hubby and kids what our pin number was one time and there were no issues after that. It was all very easy and seamless in our experience.

clausjo
02-18-2013, 01:36 PM
We're going in June and will be onsite for 3 nights. We've purchased 4 day tickets but will be in the Orlando area for longer than 4 days staying with family. I'm planning on adding more days onto our ticket that we'll use at some point during our trip. Will the fact that the extra days will be on our RFID room key, and we'll no longer be on-site guests be a problem?

Maleficent's Dad
02-18-2013, 04:32 PM
We just got back from a week in Disney and we had no issues knowing which line we could go through or how to use the new entry method after the first time going through. I did see CMs having to help guests scan their cards to get in, but even my children (ages 13 and 10) had no problems figuring it out by watching what was done with the guests ahead of us. I also didn't mind having to input our pin number. I just picked a pin that was easy for all of us to remember. I told my hubby and kids what our pin number was one time and there were no issues after that. It was all very easy and seamless in our experience.
I agree - plenty of CM's telling people which line they belong in. The problem is, the paper line moves at a snail's pace, RFID flying through (smaller numbers of guests doesn't hurt).

I just got to my room in the BW. After checking in (less than one hour ago, 2/18), we attempted to make a purchase at the Screen Door. We were told that we were "over our limit!" 20 minutes later, we got the, "oh this new computer stuff, lots of glitches.". This just happened!

For me, RFID = :down: :noway:

CuteAsMinnie
02-18-2013, 05:19 PM
I will never understand why companies do a roll out before its pretty darn near perfect.....

Janmac
02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Definitely the RFID is tempermental. We were at WDW the first week of February - at BW - and everywhere at BW, Screen Door even, my RFID worked fine. Worked really well on the room door - no tapping, just get close.

We were seldom able to use the RF part at a park counter service. Most times, the CM had to take the card and scan it. Usually I'd try and the RFID scanner would say "not activated".

A BW concierge told me one of the reasons for the RFID and "tapping" was to allow guests to keep their hands on their KTTW. Apparently there has been trouble with guests not getting their cards returned after handing them to a CM for scanning. Or at least the perception of same.

We entered parks as soon as the turnstiles were activated. At AK we had two turnstiles for non-RFID which we used, because we had Armed Forces Salute tickets, which were old style. We were the only ones using the the non-RFID entry.

At MK all were non-RFID, with a large area under construction.

I don't remember what we did at DHS, except that it was maybe a few minutes before 8 when we went through the turnstiles all the way to the left, for early ADRs. I think we got to Hollywood & Vine right at 8.

At Epcot, we went in through the back door, which I think is still old style?

We chose a pin that is a word that we could all remember, changed to the phone key pad. (Like MCKY being 6259) It was possible to be too quick with the pin; helps to wait til the device is ready.

So far, when the RFID worked, I liked it. Paying for things at the BW was quick. And as the CM said, I always had it in my possession.

Jan

Disney5+2
02-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Do you still have to do the finger scan? Trip planned for August. Hope all the kinks have been worked out!

magicofdisney
02-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Worked really well on the room door - no tapping, just get close.

We checked in on 2/5 (go live for the tap and pay). We were not so fortunate with our room keys at All Star Sports. You had to press the key against the pad in order for the door to unlock. This was in no way an inconvenience, however it's quite different from simply being near the door pad. I wonder what causes the differences. :confused:

Janmac
02-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Gotta think it's the door? We had to get close - wouldn't work out in the hallway - but we didn't have to touch the card to the door.

I did notice that some devices at some cash registers were pickier than others - had to physically touch.

My sister said she was told to touch the castle to the Mickey head. Cinderella Castle is top left on the KTTW card and there is a Mickey head outline on the devices.

I also heard someone say that the finger scan was still necessary, but as we had old style, we were still doing the scan. I also heard, for the fisrt time, that kids had their parent's finger scanned. We didn't do that in April 2012.

Jan

02-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Do you still have to do the finger scan?

Yep, still do Biometrics.

Goofy4TheWorld
02-18-2013, 09:46 PM
I also heard, for the first time, that kids had their parent's finger scanned. We didn't do that in April 2012.

Now that is a good idea for a lot of people, one finger (the adult with the least-shaky hands) for the whole family.

02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
I also heard, for the fisrt time, that kids had their parent's finger scanned

Been able to do that all along if they so desired. Kids biometrics are determined by the size (primarily) of the finger, but parents could code them, their choice.

wildernesslady
02-19-2013, 08:10 AM
Now that is a good idea for a lot of people, one finger (the adult with the least-shaky hands) for the whole family.

How would that work if the family splits up and goes to different parks? They really shouldn't need the finger scans for kids.

magicofdisney
02-19-2013, 08:40 AM
My sister said she was told to touch the castle to the Mickey head. Cinderella Castle is top left on the KTTW card and there is a Mickey head outline on the devices.
Jan

Yes, this is what housekeeping showed my Mom. At check-in I was told to simply wave it in front of the door. This took SEVERAL attempts on my part. My Mom checked in well after us so we weren't with her when she went to the room. Fortunately a housekeeper was nearby and showed her the "pressing" method, after which we used exclusively.

Sweetpea29488
02-19-2013, 11:21 AM
With the new system you still have the option of not adding charging, right?

MickeysBestPal
02-19-2013, 02:57 PM
With the new system you still have the option of not adding charging, right?

Correct. Your choice.

cuteduck223
02-19-2013, 03:10 PM
we go in july and have AP's. We don't live nearby, and it really is vacation (AP's just came out cheaper as we did 3 trips this year, and it looks like we're going to do a summer trip/christmas trip for the next few years, so it makes sense for us). I'll be happy to see when we are able to get RFID, as we experienced the same LONG LONG line to get into Hollywood Studios and Epcot in January.

DisneyDINK
02-19-2013, 03:44 PM
DW and I had on OK experience with the RFID stuff. we had paper APs and plastic KTTW with room charging. (2/7 - 2/11)

The room key part - pretty cool!

Park Entry - non too bad. You just wait in line with everyone else and the CM at the RF station just passes you back to another CM with a handheld POS who swipes the paper AP. (One of these CMs told me us AP holders would get a letter in the mail telling us about when we could change our paper APs for either a plastic card or a wristband. He said they weren't really sure about the final solution yet.) Like others have said, the AK had converted to RF, but at the International Gateway they still had the old turnstiles. It was kind of 50/50.

The room charges - mostly good. It worked really well at gift shops and I like the (percieved) security of using a PIN. I will be curious what the long-term answer is for the table service. They still give you a bill and have you sign it. I'm wondering if they will have some sort of hand-held POS (yes a pun!) so you can enter the PIN at your tableat the TS restaurants as well. You know, they bring a device to the table, you tap the card, enter the tip or just hit a % button, viola!

I will say it gets just a touch more complicated with TIW cards. Does anyone know if they will go RF too? I just got my first one. Are they always paper?

readytogo2
02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
just got back from wdw on room door worked great. at parks dw worked every time mine didnt work once would scan card use a finger nothing every time had to tell cm what park i had been to day before had to show photo id once last day at parks told cm card hadnt worked all week shemade me try both thumbs and both index fingersbefore she would call head cm over not the best way to start a day

Melanie
02-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Granted, the room key part of all this IS cool, but not new technology by any means.

Goofy4TheWorld
02-19-2013, 05:25 PM
How would that work if the family splits up and goes to different parks? They really shouldn't need the finger scans for kids.

I thought of that later...I come from the perspective of a parent of all little ones, so if we wind up in different parks its because we have lost one of them.

MNDisney Dad
03-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Staying off-property. Will I be stuck with the paper tix I purchase or can they also be switched to RFID? :confused:

KiNg4aDaY
03-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Another question about the RFID...is there an issue with demagnatizing stuff? I guess I should say, do I have to keep it in a seperate pocket or bag away from all my other belongings?

DizneyRox
03-18-2013, 06:27 AM
Another question about the RFID...is there an issue with demagnatizing stuff? I guess I should say, do I have to keep it in a seperate pocket or bag away from all my other belongings?
Shouldn't be... In all my years I've never had a probem with demagnetizing the "old" tickets. RFID is a different technology... Now, if you put them in a microwave, you might have some problems...

FLKatie912
03-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Staying off-property. Will I be stuck with the paper tix I purchase or can they also be switched to RFID? :confused:

For now you will have the paper tickets, but eventually the goal is to have all RFID. They did just announce plans for the Annual Passes to be switched to RFID tickets instead of paper.:party:

BrerGnat
03-18-2013, 01:58 PM

When are you going? At this time, MyMagic+ is only available to those with WDW Resort Reservations. I believe they plan to extend it to anyone who enters the parks eventually, but I don't think they will get to that point until the entire Resort is "online" as far as at least the resort guests go. This process is being rolled out in phases. Offsite park guests are the last priority on the totem pole, for now.

If I am wrong, someone please correct me!

DonLefNY
03-19-2013, 02:19 PM
For now you will have the paper tickets, but eventually the goal is to have all RFID. They did just announce plans for the Annual Passes to be switched to RFID tickets instead of paper.:party:

Yep, the change over starts tomorrow (3/20/13) from what I heard. It is supposed to done at the Odyssey Center (near first aid). You'll need a photo ID and the AP/PAP to get it converted.

BriarRose0708
03-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Granted, the room key part of all this IS cool, but not new technology by any means.

So true, we had RFID card access to the residence halls when I was in college 10 years ago.

MickeysBestPal
03-19-2013, 05:55 PM
For now you will have the paper tickets, but eventually the goal is to have all RFID.

At this time, MyMagic+ is only available to those with WDW Resort Reservations. I believe they plan to extend it to anyone who enters the parks eventually, but I don't think they will get to that point until the entire Resort is "online" as far as at least the resort guests go. This process is being rolled out in phases. Offsite park guests are the last priority on the totem pole, for now.

Right now (and for the past couple of weeks,) any Magic Your Way tickets can be "traded-in" (exchanged) at any ticket booth or Guest Relations at the parks, TTC, or DTD, at no charge... for the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

All MYW tickets now purchased at the WDW gates will be the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

On-site guest's tickets, off-site guest's tickets, tickets purchased from authorized Disney re-sellers... any Magic Your Way ticket will now be issued (or can be RE-issued) as the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

Terra
03-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Yep, the change over starts tomorrow (3/20/13) from what I heard. It is supposed to done at the Odyssey Center (near first aid). You'll need a photo ID and the AP/PAP to get it converted.
Awesome! I'm going over for a day sometime next week [live 45 minutes away]. So just go to Odyssey at EPCOT and hopefully all should go well? I have an AP

BrerGnat
03-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Right now (and for the past couple of weeks,) any Magic Your Way tickets can be "traded-in" (exchanged) at any ticket booth or Guest Relations at the parks, TTC, or DTD, at no charge... for the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

All MYW tickets now purchased at the WDW gates will be the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

On-site guest's tickets, off-site guest's tickets, tickets purchased from authorized Disney re-sellers... any Magic Your Way ticket will now be issued (or can be RE-issued) as the new plastic RFID-enabled Magic Your Way tickets.

Thanks for clarifying!

LVT
03-21-2013, 08:34 AM
We always have multiple instances of ticket failure due to magnetic "erasures" . I believe this will not happen with the RFID. They will probably have their own foibles. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
03-21-2013, 09:07 AM
Here now. I have an RFID enabled card and it worked on day one at the RFID gates but not since then. It works at the regular old school gates just fine (basically just at the International Gateway at Epcot), but I need someone to swipe my card at the new RFID ones (every park entrance other than International Gateway). My husband's works just fine. So there are RFID card glitches, too.

They keep telling me it's my finger/my problem at the gate, that I'm using the wrong finger-- until I am ready to show them the "right finger" and a supervisor comes to swipe me in. Even with the RFID you still need to do the dang finger thing.

MickeysBestPal
03-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Even with the RFID you still need to do the dang finger thing.

If not, what would stop a guest from selling his last 3 days of a 10 day ticket to a scalper?

Or, what would prevent 6 different guests (with different travel times) sharing a single AP?

minnie04
03-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Passholders - Now through May 19th, you can stop by the Odyssey Center at Epcot during regular Park hours to exchange your current Pass for a new Passholder card that will allow you to use the new touch-to-enter feature at the main entrance...s. (HINT: The best times to visit are Monday through Friday after 12pm). For more information: http://di.sn/t3A (Please note link is not viewable on tablet device.)

My Nephew sent me this the other day ...

PirateLover
03-21-2013, 05:11 PM
If not, what would stop a guest from selling his last 3 days of a 10 day ticket to a scalper?

Or, what would prevent 6 different guests (with different travel times) sharing a single AP?

I don't think the RFID is as easy to scalp as a traditional ticket. I could be wrong. But, besides, does the finger scan REALLY stop someone from entering with another's ticket? I've had the finger scan malfunction and have not had to show ID. Like in Sherri's experience, all you have to do is show a sign that you are getting frustrated/upset and they typically let you go. In fact the only time I've ever had to show ID was actually in Disneyland, when we didn't realize we had to get a stamp for re-entry with a park hopper pass. Never been asked for ID at the gate at WDW.

MickeysBestPal
03-21-2013, 05:38 PM
1- I don't think the RFID is as easy to scalp as a traditional ticket. I could be wrong.

2- But, besides, does the finger scan REALLY stop someone from entering with another's ticket?

3- I've had the finger scan malfunction and have not had to show ID.

4-Like in Sherri's experience, all you have to do is show a sign that you are getting frustrated/upset and they typically let you go. In fact the only time I've ever had to show ID was actually in Disneyland, when we didn't realize we had to get a stamp for re-entry with a park hopper pass.

5- Never been asked for ID at the gate at WDW.

1- A physical ticket is a physical ticket.

2- That's what it's for.
Like anything else, it can work better or worse in various cases.

3 & 4 & 5- There are multiple cases where ID was required.
Like anything else, it can happen or not in various cases.
I have some CM friends in ticketing/GR who have some sad stories of parents trying to explain why they can't get into WDW due to scalped tickets being detected and confiscated.

SBETigg
03-22-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't mind the finger scan except when they make you do it twenty times and it's clearly not working. "Try another finger. Try another finger. Try your thumb." So frustrating. I did find the old school entry at all of the parks now (was in all four parks yesterday, thank goodness for hoppers because crowds were not where they were supposed to be according to another popular site). My ticket works fine through the old school gates, keeps not working at the RFID gates after working fine on day one. Lines to get into parks have not been frustrating or exceptionally long, though. No extra frustrating waits to get in. Just the usual.

03-22-2013, 10:26 AM
We always have multiple instances of ticket failure due to magnetic "erasures" . I believe this will not happen with the RFID. They will probably have their own foibles. :thumbsup:

Generally with the legacy turnstiles it is not "erasures", it is generally just dirty. That is why you will see some CM's rub it briskly on their shirt and then try it again.

With RFID we still have a lot of the same issues as we do with legacy ticketing but now we nor the Guest Services CM's can "fix" the ticket like we could do with the legacy ticketing.

In response to some of those that have questions about biometric scanning. Main "ID fails" issues (not necessarily in order):

* not using your own ticket-it does know the difference
* not using the same finger as ticket was originally tagged with
* putting too much pressure on the platen - just lay it there-don't press down
* finger rolled slightly on edge-happens a LOT
* finger not lined up properly- has to be straight in not angled-happens a LOT
* finger not pushed forward enough- push it all the way up to the metal
* place long fingernails on the metal part so finger is on glass
* lay the whole finger on the glass FLAT not just the finger tip with the finger arched up

Sometimes nothing more complicated than the computer system is processing so much data across all the turnstiles that it needs a momentary break and someone might have to retry their biometrics.

These will effect both the old and new scanners although after working the new entries a lot, I "think" they may have a higher resolution scanner than the old. Not sure but it just feels that way to me. We used to be able to "retag" a ticket if "necessary" at the turnstiles but no longer. If the "ID Fails", we have to try 2 more times and if it still fails, guest has to go to the Guest Services CM for ticket validation, but they can't fix the ticket, only validate it.

SBETigg
03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Generally with the legacy turnstiles it is not "erasures", it is generally just dirty. That is why you will see some CM's rub it briskly on their shirt and then try it again.

With RFID we still have a lot of the same issues as we do with legacy ticketing but now we nor the Guest Services CM's can "fix" the ticket like we could do with the legacy ticketing.

In response to some of those that have questions about biometric scanning. Main "ID fails" issues (not necessarily in order):

* not using your own ticket-it does know the difference
* not using the same finger as ticket was originally tagged with
* putting too much pressure on the platen - just lay it there-don't press down
* finger rolled slightly on edge-happens a LOT
* finger not lined up properly- has to be straight in not angled-happens a LOT
* finger not pushed forward enough- push it all the way up to the metal
* place long fingernails on the metal part so finger is on glass
* lay the whole finger on the glass FLAT not just the finger tip with the finger arched up

Sometimes nothing more complicated than the computer system is processing so much data across all the turnstiles that it needs a momentary break and someone might have to retry their biometrics.

These will effect both the old and new scanners although after working the new entries a lot, I "think" they may have a higher resolution scanner than the old. Not sure but it just feels that way to me. We used to be able to "retag" a ticket if "necessary" at the turnstiles but no longer. If the "ID Fails", we have to try 2 more times and if it still fails, guest has to go to the Guest Services CM for ticket validation, but they can't fix the ticket, only validate it.

This all makes sense. Again, my husband and I bought our tickets at the same place, same time. His works in the RFID turnstiles. Mine does not. It could be human error (I am putting in my finger print wrong somehow) or something else. After a few tries at Epcot today, I was told that it happens now and then and a CM scanned me in, but said they couldn't fix it at the gate. It's my last day in parks, so I did not care to get it fixed elsewhere. But apparently, glitches will happen whatever the technology.

casey@bat
03-24-2013, 09:02 PM
So should we buy tickets and put them on our room key as usual? Or buy them separately? Which is better? Also, my parents have APs. We usually go in together. Will their line be longer?

We go in one week.

MickeysBestPal
03-24-2013, 09:30 PM
1- So should we buy tickets and put them on our room key as usual? Or buy them separately? Which is better?

Also, my parents have APs. We usually go in together. Will their line be longer?

We go in one week.

1- Doesn't matter.

2- Your parents can trade their AP's for RFID AP's at the Odyssey (former) Restaurant in Epcot.

casey@bat
03-27-2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info.

Is there anywhere else for APs to be traded for RFID? We aren't going to EPCOT until our 4th day there.

MickeysBestPal
03-28-2013, 02:53 PM
I think I'm in the slow group as well :confused:... my question is this. We are staying on property, but recently purchased our park tix through the official ticket center so they are completely unrelated to our resort room cards. How do they get merged, or am I missing something completely.

Can they do this at the resort when we check in??

Yes, or at the resort's concierge desk.
(That is assuming that the CM's there at that time are willing to do it, or know how to do it.)

MickeysBestPal
03-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the info.

Is there anywhere else for APs to be traded for RFID? We aren't going to EPCOT until our 4th day there.

Not being indicated at this time.
But, there's a possibility that during this change-over period ending May 19,
certain of the ticket booths and Guest Relations at all of the parks and DTD
(and eventually ALL of them) will be getting
the proper supplies to issue RFID AP's.

You can certainly go up to any of those locations and ask.

Terra
04-07-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm a little dense here, so could someone smarter than me clear something up? :blush:
So kid's will be expected to do the biometric scan every time as well to get in?
I did just exchange my APs for the Plastic and it was a heck of time to get my ASD son to even do the scan. He can get really irritable with things like that are new or having to interact much. There are many times he just hides in the stroller to avoid looking at anyone.
Aside from that, I do love the easy tap AND a more stable ticket than a piece of paper!