PDA

View Full Version : Some people really do not realize that FP are free?

AmandaChan
02-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Friends of ours have recently returned from their trip and said they had to wait in lines for up to an hour. We asked if they got any FP and they honestly thought they had cost money and they didn't even try to get any... so sad!!! Is this common?? I just want to put out a public service announcement to people to let them know that FP are included with price of admission!! How could someone miss that? And we knew they were going to WDW for some time but we really do not talk to them too often and we had no idea that they didn't realize that. And the only other complaint they had was the massive tour group circulating.

Melanie
02-13-2013, 06:44 AM
I think you may be surprised at a lot of things people don't know about a Disney vacation that we seasoned folks do. Just listening in on conversations on the monorail, a park bench, in a restaurant, etc. will tell you that.

It's all about research, research, research.

DizneyRox
02-13-2013, 06:49 AM
To be honest, Disney has their hand in your pocket the whole time, I can understand why people would see something like that and think its not free. Your Key to the World is often a charge card, so it's not a stretch that people think they are swping it (for a charge) at those machines.

TinkerbellT421
02-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Agree with both Mel and DizneyRox.

We talked to a couple one night while waiting for Illuminations to start, sounded like their first trip, married couple with two kids. They were complaining of the lines and that they didn't even try to ride Soarin'. I asked if they fast passed it, and she said no we didn't purchase that option. I looked at her bewildered and just said you realize fast pass is part of your already paid for admission right? She was completely broken hearted and dismayed that it was already part of the admission she already paid. I gave her a couple of other pointers as well she was completely clueless about.

It never surprises me how so many first timers or couple timers never research what they are doing and just go on a whim thinking hey I buy a ticket and a flight and just wing it. One time a guy told me he spent over $10k, for just him and his girlfriend :eyes::jaw: To this day I still cannot for the life of me figure out what he spent 10 grand on.....

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-13-2013, 08:15 AM
To be fair, I don't think first timers can really get their heads around the size and scope of a Disney vacation.

I remember taking my Mom for the first time, and she ws shocked at the size and couldn't believe all of the planning that had gone into the vacation. This was after we'd bought her a couple of planning books!

In her case, she was trying to picture the parks and the whole resort in terms of things she already knew. So, the busses from the resorts, were like city busses, with bunch of stops that took you the short distance from the resort to the park ... she had no idea it was a 15 ride at regular speed!

Same thing with the parks, most people compare it to their local amusement park, which doesn't take a lot of planning. We know that's wrong, but I don't think they realize. Most local parks have a "special" admission for FP type access, so they just asusme that Disney does the same thing.

I agree, I found intercot when we were planning our honeymoon, and have learned SO MUCH here, but most people don't realize that that they have so much to learn for a really awesome vacation.

BrerGnat
02-13-2013, 08:37 AM
A lot of people don't know that FP is free. It's very simple, really, they DON'T read the literature that Disney basically crams down your throat every 5 minutes.

If some of these same people would simply put their smartphone down and READ the park brochure, they would see the FP information plain as day.

I bet most of these people don't ever even open the folder you get at check in with all the resort information. They are the same people asking dumb questions of the park CMs.

Frankly, I've always been baffled by this phenomenon. If you are waiting around so much, don't you have time to read the park map? ;)

DVC2004
02-13-2013, 08:47 AM
We were in line to get in to Universal a few years ago and a man and his family were in front of us. They presented their Disney Park Hopper tickets. The lady at the turnstyle was telling them I'm sorry sir, these tickets are to Disney, this is Universal. The man just kept saying over and over: "My travel agent said these are good at all the parks!"

c&d
02-13-2013, 08:49 AM
I don't understand that either, there is a CM at the FP booths, why not ask.

I also think that many people think they've got it on their first trip. They read the literature but don't really get how big it is and honestly if we look back to our first trips how overwhelming it was. There is just so much to see and do.

I took my aunt last April, she hadn't been in ~30 years, she read all the books, spent quality time on Disney's website and was still amazed by how much there is to WDW. As she kept saying to me, just tell me where I need to go because I'm lost.

DVC2004
02-13-2013, 08:50 AM
We've also walked through the fast pass queue line- several rides but I recall Space Mountain on a particular time- and heard a family in stand by grumbling it wasn't fair as we walked oast. I think they were not aware it was free.

MickeysBestPal
02-13-2013, 08:51 AM
If some of these same people would simply put their smartphone down and READ the park brochure, they would see the FP information plain as day.

Disney is on the brink of nearly REQUIRING guests to use their smartphones to negotiate their days at the parks... including using FP.

And, this to me does not look to be an improvement in "guest experience."

Dulcee
02-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Our last trip we met up one day with a couple we're friends with. They too did not realize that Fastpass comes with their tickets. They live in FL have been several times and also didn't know there was a boat ride in Mexico.

It makes me glad I've trained DH right :blush:

BrerGnat
02-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Disney is on the brink of nearly REQUIRING guests to use their smartphones to negotiate their days at the parks... including using FP.

And, this to me does not look to be an improvement in "guest experience."

Well, hey, you gotta adopt the medium that the majority of people are using. :D

WDWdriver
02-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Some guests do ask. It's very common for a guest to come up to us at The FP distribution machines and ask how much it costs. It's always a pleasure to tell them that FPs are included in their park admission.

Mitzie
02-13-2013, 09:37 AM
I can completely understand why people go to WDW and walk away saying never again..We had friends who did this years ago. They went in the middle of summer when it was hot and crowded and didn't plan ahead. We too have over heard people and many times have chimed in to help. One gentleman was telling his wife at the T&T center that they just needed to stay on the monorail they were on and they would get to HS..ummm I said Sir this doesn't go to HS..I told them the way they needed to get there and they thanked me profusely..who knows how much time they would of wasted trying to get to HS on that monorail..And don't get me started on how many times we have overheard people who do not know how the DDP works..I have explained that to people as well..

Belle of the Ball 051411
02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Nothing surprises me anymore, ha. As others have stated, I think people think FP costs money because at other theme parks it does. I'm always one to research before any trip so I have a good handle on things before I go. A lot of people don't do that though...

ANG
02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
I wish there wasn't such a crazy push for FPs in those planning DVDS. I think it's important that people know about them and utilize them. But when I went with my family last year, they were so obsessed with making sure they had one at all times, even for a ride I assured them it wouldn't be needed.

Dopey's Girl
02-13-2013, 11:57 AM
I also think that many people don't understand the whole Disney process. Many of us know it like the back of our hands, and can work the system out to our advantage in our sleep. But for the average guest, who is planning their first trip, there is no book, planning DVD or web site that can help them understand the size and scope of WDW. I think many get overwhelmed just thinking about it, and kind of give up, and wing it.

I brought my best friend and her daughter 4 years ago, and I still remember her astonishment at the size of the resort as a whole. If she had been alone, she wouldn't have seen or done half of what we got accomplished, simply because she could have never been prepared enough.

I do always try to help out people when I can see that they are struggling with something in one of the parks. When I was in MK a few weeks ago, there was a family who was clearly overwhelmed and tired of lines, standing near the stand by queue for BTMRR, which had a 60 min wait. One of the mom's was kind of yelling at the other mom, that she just wanted to go back to the hotel and not do any more parks because the lines were too long and she wasn't paying for that pass thing. The kids were horrified at that suggestion, so was mom #1. I stepped in (I can't help myself!) and helped explain fastpass to them. They both seemed to calm down, and got everyone a fastpass for just a bit over an hour later. I don't know if they used them the rest of the trip, but they seemed to be happy to get some info from a human!

It just all ties back to another one of my ideas. Disney should make first timers take a 20 min class, 1 part for the dining plan and how it works, another for fastpass. It would solve so many issues!

emerzmom
02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Meg, you summed it up nicely!
Thinking back to my first WDW trip I spent way too much money and didn't do 1/2 as much as I can now do on a WDW vacation. I was just so overwhelmed on that first trip by the whole thing.
I also know several people who have been and say "never again" but when I asked why it is typically for reasons that could have been avoided (too crowded, long lines, too expensive, etc.). ...well if not avoided at least managed better :mickey:
My best resource has been Intercot! I have learned so much from true "pro's' on this discussion board that has helped me to save money and get the most out of my precious WDW vacation days.
:tink:
Julie

Butters
02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Two trips ago when walking through the FP line one guy looked at his wife in a snappy voice "look those are the people that can afford to skip us in line". Normally I would try and help people but thanks to his attitude it felt my h better to let him wait for the people that can "afford to research their vacation."

waymickey
02-13-2013, 08:00 PM
I too have seen people not understand FP and think that people are cutting the line. But I can understand their confusion since many of the parks charge. I hope that the new FP+ doesn't make my head sizzle because right now it seems very confusing.

MNDisney Dad
02-14-2013, 08:34 AM
What's a Fast Pass? JK

Dopey's Girl
02-14-2013, 09:35 AM
What's a Fast Pass? JK

Ha ha ha! Good one MN neighbor!

Mogie
02-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Totally true. Had some friends that went on moderately crowded times of year and they say they only went on 3 or 4 rides per day, and they spent the whole time waiting out in the hot sun. They had no idea Fast Passes even existed! I asked them and they were like, "Yeah what were those ticket things by the rides?". They could easily have gone on most of the rides. I didnt feel too bad for them though. They asked for some recommendations for their Disney vacation, and I sent them links to all my favorite Disney planning sites...they never read them. oh well.

beksy
02-15-2013, 01:08 AM
When we went while I was growing up, we would have been one of those families with no idea what was going on. Dad would plan everything else out but no way would he do research on Disney because "its just a theme park" :confused: I actually didn't know that character meals existed until I was in my 20's and planned my first trip (actually doing research!) :pout: and he said the resorts were just for the really rich people so "don't even consider them!" :cry: I still get mad thinking of all we missed on those trips but I'm happily enjoying my extended childhood IN resorts and eating WITH characters :donald: I also try to help out those sitting near us or waiting in line with us that are like Dad and don't have a clue what is going on.

tinklover
02-15-2013, 09:44 AM
on our last trip, we had a girl about 9 yrs of age run into the fast pass line ahead of us, her Dad stopped her and took her hand and said No honey that line is for those who think they are better then us and pay to get in front of the line, we have to wait in this line over here. I backed out of line and said " Sir this is a fastpass lane, Yes, But I did not pay anything. I swiped my ticket in that machine over there about an hour ago and it is now time for me to come back and ride. It is a free option and you should try it some time." He turned bright red and apologized. His MIL had told him that was the line for the VIP guides. He just kept saying Im sorry, and thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

JenniferS.
02-17-2013, 03:18 PM
It's good that they don't know, that leaves them available for the rest of us. :thedolls: j/k

FLKatie912
02-17-2013, 05:19 PM
We were in line to get in to Universal a few years ago and a man and his family were in front of us. They presented their Disney Park Hopper tickets. The lady at the turnstyle was telling them I'm sorry sir, these tickets are to Disney, this is Universal. The man just kept saying over and over: "My travel agent said these are good at all the parks!"

I have seen people try to use Universal Studios tickets at Hollywood Studios and get FURIOUS that they don't work and insisting that Hollywood Studios is were you see Harry Potter. :funny:

Main Street Jim
02-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Have had people at MK ask me "Where's the Matterhorn...?"

Had a woman ask me once "Where's that big castle?"

And honestly, before I had moved back to Florida and started working for the Mouse, we made a trip down in about '98. FastPasses had just been "invented" and Winnie the Pooh had just opened. This was long before we had Internet and could do any research, even after years of going to the parks as a kid. I said the same thing: "Wow. Those people can afford to skip the line..." before we knew much about how the system worked. :P

02-17-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm sure MS Jim would concur, after you work turnstiles for a year or so you feel you could write a long book about some of the stuff you hear (and have to endure).

I've often said, everyday I work turnstiles makes me question the future of modern humanity as we know it.

With the "old" turnstiles we often had to beg to get people to put their card in the slot. With the new V Entry touch pads, we have to "beg" them not to keep looking for a slot to put their card in. Can't win. Will probably be the same for FP's.

One of the earlier posts about the guy saying about his travel agent saying the tickets were good at all the parks, still happens from time to time, usually just with "out of country" guests though.

Some days are just "grin and bear it days".

azcavalier
02-18-2013, 10:13 AM
I'm sure MS Jim would concur, after you work turnstiles for a year or so you feel you could write a long book about some of the stuff you hear (and have to endure).

I've often said, everyday I work turnstiles makes me question the future of modern humanity as we know it.

With the "old" turnstiles we often had to beg to get people to put their card in the slot. With the new V Entry touch pads, we have to "beg" them not to keep looking for a slot to put their card in. Can't win. Will probably be the same for FP's.

One of the earlier posts about the guy saying about his travel agent saying the tickets were good at all the parks, still happens from time to time, usually just with "out of country" guests though.

Some days are just "grin and bear it days".

I kind of wish that I could work at one of the parks just for a week, just to experience some of this. I think that if it hasn't been written, one of you (or a bunch of you) should definitely get together and write a collection of Disney World stories. I would buy it!

Main Street Jim
02-18-2013, 09:14 PM
I kind of wish that I could work at one of the parks just for a week, just to experience some of this. I think that if it hasn't been written, one of you (or a bunch of you) should definitely get together and write a collection of Disney World stories. I would buy it!Look for "Mouse Tales", "More Mouse Tales", and "RealityLand". :thumbsup: Some *great* CM stories.

WhiteRose1
02-20-2013, 11:17 PM
While we were waiting for our ride from AKL to the airport after our WDW honeymoon, we overheard a father and son talking about rides and such. It was obvious they had never been to WDW in the past.

The dad was basically trying to explain to his son that the reason they had to wait so long was because they did not have the "face"pass vip thing. My husband whispered to the dad that the "fast"pass was free and I think my hubby saved the rest of their vacation.

Considering I had done all the research for the trip and basically had to force my hubby to read it, I was so proud he got it. Now he helps others plan their trips!! Without me doing all the research (thanks to Intercot and TGM) I think he would have tried to 'wing it'...

Alot of people dislike the thought of 'planning' a vacation. I had two co-workers 'planning' a WDW trip around Easter last year.

One took my advice and I helped them get reservations to resturants and helped plan their days. They went to the parks that avoided the crowds, and ate breakfast at Cindy's. The other wanted no help, and said they would not plan a vacation, that vacations should be 'plan free'.

Group one had a magical trip with her extended family, including daughter, son-law and granddaughter and said they waited no more than 30 minutes for rides. They used fast passes, took breaks in the early afternoon..everyone listened to grandma!

Group two never returned. I think they are still trying to get into harry potter world from HS... :)

(Kidding.. the second group complained about hours of lines, and how all the restaurants were already booked, it was too hot in the parks all day, and vowed to never return.)

DonLefNY
02-21-2013, 11:16 AM
I once overheard a dad telling his son in line at Big Thunder Mountain hat only the rich people in the rich resorts get Fast Passes.

WhiteRose1
02-21-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm thinking about making up business cards and just handing it out to people who think you need to pay for fast passes....

Fast Pass is Free.
No, Really.
You are welcome.

Too obnoxious? :thedolls:
:blush:

Kairi_7378
02-23-2013, 08:54 AM

I had to explain this once to my SIL's in laws from Israel. My MIL told them to ask me any questions that they had about their trip. We got fast passes down fine... but then the one child kept insisting that you could park hop to Universal Studios. I realised that they had mixed up DHS and Universal and tried to explain but they were adament. In the end they were relying on Disney's bus service so they ended up in the right place.

Kairi_7378
02-23-2013, 08:56 AM
I once overheard a dad telling his son in line at Big Thunder Mountain hat only the rich people in the rich resorts get Fast Passes.

We've heard this many times, esepcially when the fast pass line is much less crowded! I will turn to people and help them if they seem confused about the system, but in a situation like that it is hard to do anything.

Canuck Park Hopper
02-24-2013, 12:49 PM
On our first trip after FP's went into effect, we knew that we would be able to use the system free of charge but was also under the impression that they were perhaps a perk for Resort guests only.

I know now that is not the case, and have learned to use FPs as efficiently as possible by doing some research and trial and error too...

Still, as many people have pointed out here, WDW is a big complex place and it is all to easy first-timers to get overwhelmed at the outset. It may not be all that surprising that newbies do expect to pay for a service like FP - after all, it is an upcharge at any other (non-Disney) park.

I have also been privy to persons giving away FP's at or near a ride's entrance. I suppose that they have had a change in plans and are not able to use their passes, so they make an effort to just give them to some other people rather than let them expire unused!

One can also find "voided" FP's in the dispensing area. I will scoop those up for DD to put in her scrapbook as page fillers.

What really still perplexes me is how some attractions seem to exhaust their FP allocations within mere hours of opening. A recent trip to DLR Space Mountain is a good example. We arrive to get FP's at 9 am-ish and find FP's being dispensed for 11 pm.... seriously?!

What they really need is a designated FP trading spot... we all meet up and horse-trade FP's with one another! That would really stream the "we can't afford FP" crowd - having them see us "VIPs" all gathered around trading them like oh-so-lucrative baseball cards.. :thedolls: