PDA

View Full Version : How does marathon affect parks?

Basket Mommy
02-12-2013, 09:24 AM
We're heading down to WDW next week. I just realized that the Princess Half marathon is being run on the 24th. How does the marathon affect people in the parks? We're planning on being in Epcot on the 24th. Does anything close because of the marathon?

Buttercup
02-12-2013, 09:58 AM
It's my understanding the marathons etc. are super early in the morning, before the parks even open, and I could be wrong but I don't think the majority of the races aren't IN the parks but rather behind the scenes in cast member only areas, or along the roads outside of the parks.

I don't think it affects the parks themselves at all. :thumbsup:

02-12-2013, 10:08 AM
Races are early, the half you are referring starts at 5:30 am. They do go thru sections of parks, haven't seen the map for next week though. I know the full marathon a few weeks ago went thru a portion of Fantasyland and Frontierland at MK then back out thru Park 3, and I think, Animal Kingdom also.

Biggest issue with the events is traffic as a lot of the road areas have partial closures and can make getting around a bit of a challenge.

Melanie
02-12-2013, 10:15 AM
For thIs particular race, impact will pretty much be on traffic, especially around Epcot. By midday, things should be all back to normal. I'd suggest any park but Epcot for that morning.

The full marathon in January goes through all four parks and things are congested around the resort that particular morning. The Princess Half only goes through MK and Epcot.

irish1967
02-17-2013, 10:44 AM
The course for the Princess half marathon goes through both the Magic Kingdom and EPCOT.

Last year, the wheelchair participants started at 5:43 am and the runners started at 5:45.

There were 9 runner corrals (elite - then A thru H) I can't find what the time interval is between the corral start times, but I am pretty sure it is at least 3 - 5 minutes. So, the final participant would be crossing the start line at 6:15 at the earliest.

With a 3 1/2 hour time limit (which starts from the time the last participant crosses the start line) I believe EPCOT will be open by the time the last participants are finishing the race.

The second biggest impact, after the traffic, will be in getting around EPCOT until the race is over - the last part of the course is through EPCOT Future World so there are specific spots you are allowed to cross the course and you will be held on one side until there is a break in the participants.

A little inconvenient, but once the race is over, things should be pretty much normal.

irish1967
02-17-2013, 10:51 AM
I just looked at the official program - the runners do start at 5:35 a.m. this year.