PDA

View Full Version : Holy See!

Goofy4TheWorld
02-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Maybe no thread was started because of TOS issues so I hope this is OK, but I was just stunned to see the abdication of Pope Benedict XVI today. I am Protestant but it still feels very surreal seeing something that hasn't happened in over half a millennia.

I think it is just a sign of modern medicine allowing the body to outlive it's ability to serve, but that is just my armchair reporting.

Jeri
02-11-2013, 02:42 PM
I too was very surprised as were most news shows too.

I had heard he always said he would step down if he was not able to do his "job" to the full extent.

I wonder if perhaps he is very ill and doesn't want to have his illness and final days play out publicly. The Today show said his brother has said he isn't to travel internationally anymore per his DR.

But yes, I agree it was a surprise and I am sure more will be known about exactly why in the days to come.
I do hope he is just getting old and that is the reason and not some terrible illness.

Belle of the Ball 051411
02-11-2013, 02:59 PM
I too was very surprised as were most news shows too.

I had heard he always said he would step down if he was not able to do his "job" to the full extent.

I wonder if perhaps he is very ill and doesn't want to have his illness and final days play out publicly. The Today show said his brother has said he isn't to travel internationally anymore per his DR.

But yes, I agree it was a surprise and I am sure more will be known about exactly why in the days to come.
I do hope he is just getting old and that is the reason and not some terrible illness.

This exactly!

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-11-2013, 03:50 PM
I was surprised when I heard this too ... I'm not Catholic, but always understood that they served until they left this world.

It is an interesting time, especially that it will be tight to have a new Pope in place for Easter.

DVC2004
02-11-2013, 04:26 PM
I am Catholic, and I was shocked. I hope he is OK as well.

disney obsessed
02-11-2013, 07:26 PM
I'm catholic and I was suprised but I do not see it as a bad thing. It is modern growth that we have the insight to now know people should not be in this office for life.

Kairi_7378
02-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I was a bit saddened by this news. The fact that there have been so few instances of a pope stepping down made me think that he was having a health issue of some sort, and I hope that he's okay. I do give him a lot of credit for recognizing that it was okay to do what was best for his health as well as the office he holds.

PirateLover
02-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Very odd, but, I can respect it. I was never really keen on him as pope -But it's hard to follow Pope John Paul II. I heard someone call him "The Elvis of Popes!" Looking forward to the conclave and seeing who the next pope will be!

Tink#64
02-12-2013, 12:00 AM
I am Catholic & was very shocked to learn of this! But I have to respect the fact that he feels he is not able to carry out the responsibilities of his position. That being said, I do hope that whomever the new Pope will be, will by younger or more radical and more in tune with where our church needs to go. It saddens me to see so many of or faith going by the wayside with the ever changing times. I truly feel that we need to modernize some of our ways - times are a'changing and I think we have room for some change & growth!

Hammer
02-12-2013, 01:30 PM
I was surprised when I heard the news, but I think he made the right decision. We are now finding out about his blood pressure problems as well as his heart problems which required him to receive a pacemaker last year. The sort of travel schedule required of a Pope is not conducive to his health issues. This was one of the problems I had with Pope John Paul II staying in office so long, he was unable to truly be active the last few years with the onset of Parkinson's.

As an American Catholic, I agree with some of you in wanting a more progressive Pope, but we need to remember that US Catholics make up only 10% of the worldwide Catholic population. There are more Catholics in Brazil, the Phillipines and Mexico, with the US coming in 4th, just barely ahead of Italy. Catholicism is very different in these places. My prayer is that the Conclave of Cardinals is able to strike a good balance and appoint a new Pope who allows for the adoption of some modern policies while still maintaining traditional ones practiced by Catholics in other areas of the world.

garymacd
02-21-2013, 02:25 PM
Just wanted to let you know that my truck at work was spewing white smoke yesterday. Does that mean they elected me the new pope?

Goofy4TheWorld
02-26-2013, 10:22 PM
I have been trying to find out of if there is going to be any ceremony/bells etc.. at the time of his departure or if they will just lock the door and leave the key under the mat. As a matter of fact, I can't even figure out what exact time it is Eastern Standard Time either?

Has anything been announced?