PDA

View Full Version : Coral Reef Advice

WDWParrothead
02-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I caved in to pressure to eat at Coral Reef ("But there's fish!" "It looks so cool!") on our upcoming trip because we've never dined there on previous trips. Not going to lie, I'm a little nervous about the experience given Coral Reef's inconsistent reputation. Anyone have any advice to make me feel better about this?

RedSoxandPatsfan
02-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Our family has been there a few times and we've always loved it. Great atmosphere! I've recommended it to a bunch of others, family and friends, they all were very glad they tried it.

You'll find positive and negative reviews of all dining in WDW. What isn't one person cup of tea might be perfect for someone else. You'll never know until you try it for yourself. So I'd say go in with a positive frame of mind that'll it'll be something new and different. Reserve your judgement until you've had time to reflect on it.

mechanic
02-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Its only one meal in a theme park. If someone in your group wants to try it, why not?

lawgirl
02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
I too have been hesitant about CR for the same reason...there are some decent reviews, but there are also some horrible reviews out there.

I say, if someone wants to try it, then go for it. You should at least try it for yourself, and be the judge. If its awful, you don't have to go back. Hopefully you'll love it and have a great experience.

I would however approach the whole thing with the knowledge that it has somewhat of a reputation for inconsistent service. I wouldn't go expecting it to be the most amazing dining experience you've ever had (but heck, maybe you'll be surprised and it will be awesome!), and hopefully it will turn out to be decent.

Please report back as I'd love to hear about your experience!

Itchy
02-11-2013, 11:29 AM
My family and I have eaten there quite a bit in the past. I don't know that we have ever had a terrible meal. The whole meal experience can be reduced it you get seated by a table full of kids with no adult supervision. But that can happen anywhere.

Enjoy the view and dining experience...:thumbsup:

Hope this helps..:mickey:

disneydeb
02-11-2013, 11:42 AM
We have never had a terrible experience there either... we like it and have gone back the last three visits in a roll!:thumbsup:

cer
02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Not related to Coral Reef, but we hesitated to try San Angel Inn because of the mixed reviews that it receives. We finally tried it and had a great experience! You just never know. You really need to try places and be your own judge. :thumbsup:

Happy dining!

SBETigg
02-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Reviews are all over the place on every restaurant (same as reviews for anything). What matters is how it is for you, and you won't know if you don't try. Let go of anything you've read in advance and go in with an open mind. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Tigerinvestigator
02-11-2013, 12:55 PM
We've never had a bad meal. In fact the last three trips it has been a must-do, especially for our kids. I would recommend the Apetizer for two as a starter. The kids love the little cups of Lobster bisque. The food has been very good and the atmosphere is always fun.:thumbsup:

BriarRose0708
02-11-2013, 03:42 PM
Enjoy it! The atmosphere is really nice and I don't think there's a table that offers a "bad" view of the tank since the seating area is tiered auditorium style. The menu has undergone a lot of changes since I last ate there, but I've heard the NY strip is their signature dish and I'm positive my friend would have licked her plate if it were socially acceptable. I like the Chocolate Wave dessert!

AllDisney
02-11-2013, 04:33 PM
We have eaten at Coral Reef on many occasions and loved each experience. We've had so-so servers (had to ask for the water glasses to be refilled, needed sugar for tea etc) but that can happen anywhere and it's never ruined our dinners there.

We love both the atmosphere & food. We are looking forward to our return trip in 2014:thumbsup:

Everyone's taste buds are different. Give it a try :mickey:

CanadaLovesDisney
02-11-2013, 05:49 PM
All (except for our seafood allergy) loves coral reef. The apps are great, several amazing entrees such as mahi mahi and desserts are delicious!

Haters' gon hate lol:thumbsup:

hauntedmansiongirl
02-12-2013, 01:20 AM
We love, love, love this restaurant. We don't care if the service is not the greatest because there is so much to see in the fish tank that the time flies by. We love the rainbow trout entree. For dessert it is always a huge decision between the Chocolate Wave and the Baileys & Jack Daniels Mousse. Both are our favourite desserts in WDW. And believe me, that is really saying something!

Go for the atmosphere and you'll have a great time! :dory:

c&d
02-12-2013, 08:25 AM
We've eaten there several times and the food has been good. It really is all about the atmosphere. We've been lucky enough to get a table right by the windows when the divers have been in the tank feeding them.

WDWParrothead
02-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Thanks, everyone! Looking forward to trying it now. After all, it's still a WDW vacation and what could possibly beat that?

crltkcagle
02-13-2013, 10:40 PM
We love it! It was some of the best food we had on our last trip!

mickeys_princess_mom
02-13-2013, 11:44 PM
Have eaten there several times and enjoyed it each time! Such a relaxing, different place! Our food was delicious, and The Wave is one of my fave desserts! :wave:

BuffaloJason
02-14-2013, 11:42 AM
I caved in to pressure to eat at Coral Reef ("But there's fish!" "It looks so cool!") on our upcoming trip because we've never dined there on previous trips. Not going to lie, I'm a little nervous about the experience given Coral Reef's inconsistent reputation. Anyone have any advice to make me feel better about this?

I've eaten there 3 or 4 times. IMO, like most Disney restaurants the food is mediocre to good and you're paying primarily for the location / atmosphere, which in the case of Coral Reef, is pretty awesome. Definitely worth experiencing once. :thumbsup:

ANG
02-18-2013, 08:20 AM
We ate there once in 2010 and loved it. I value reviews but no everyone has the same preferences or expectations.

TinkerbellT421
02-18-2013, 10:16 AM
We have eaten here a few times and have enjoyed it very much each time. Like some others have said, I personally think the bottom line is how you feel about it, is it worth a shot to you whether it ends of being good or bad? I pretty much think every restaurant, both inside and outside of Disney has good and bad reviews and experiences. Just it lies with whether you want to take the chance in possibly getting that "bad" experience, which to me is pretty much a 50/50 shot anywhere at anytime anyway.

Our service was so stellar one time here that I had the waiter PROMISE that if I didn't like the Grouper he would bring me something else at no charge. And he obliged whole heartily, sad part was, I really ended up liking the Grouper! I was a little freaked out because I am not a very "adventurous" eater, and Grouper, to me was WAY out of the box! Just looking at the fish in the fish tank next to me and how ugly it was creeped me out a bit but I really wanted the mushroom risotto that came with it so I said a heck might as well try it.

Anthony007
02-18-2013, 04:02 PM
We were the same, but REALLY wanted to try it. Atmosphere was cool, but completely disappointed by the food. We each had the special, which was lobster fettucini. When we were done we went to Rose and Crown and shared fish and chips because we were starving.

forever a child
02-18-2013, 05:31 PM
I have only eaten there once when we were in Nashville during a swim meet with my DD and her swim team. I assume since they are a chain that they would all be the same. I remember enjoying my experience and the food was decent. Overpriced but you are paying for the atmosphere anyway aren't you?

If I was taking my niece and nephew, I would go there again. Otherwise, probably not but if you have never tried it, you should once.