PDA

View Full Version : DDP- best parents ever!

merryc17
02-10-2013, 08:32 PM
My parents just surprised (gifted) us with the Disney Dinig Plan for our honeymoon trip! 2 more weeks, can't wait! I have been to WDW many times, but never with the dining plan. What can you tell me about it? How does it work and what can we expect? Any tips or suggestions?

(Side note: we already had a few reservations planned, so I don't think I need to worry about that...hopefully!)

Thanks in advance!

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Congrats - that is a nice gift!

I would review your reservations - is there anywhere else you'd like to eat, anywhere you skipped due to the cost? If so, try and book them ASAP.

Otherwise, enjoy!

vamaggie
02-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Congrats!!! I would also say to look at restaurants and make the rest of your ADRs. Not sure what plan you are on but I would try to have a ressie for each sit down meal you have on the plan.

Have a wonderful honeymoon and a long and love-filled marriage :cloud9:

Mickey'sGirl
02-11-2013, 08:01 AM
.... and you will still need some $$, as tips are not included.

Enjoy and congratulations! :thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
02-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Here is the offical DDP link:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/planning-guides/in-depth-advice/disney-dining-plan/

If you have any other questions just hop back here and let us know what you need.
Have super wedding and a wonderful honeymoon.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-11-2013, 10:46 AM
Congrats, make those other ressies and enjoy:cloud9:

lawgirl
02-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Congrats! That is a pretty awesome gift, so thoughtful of your parents!

I also have some questions about DDP (we just added it to our DVC reservation, it ended up looking like it would save some $$) that hopefully will help you too.

As far as tips go, how do they calculate the total bill? I've never done DDP before, and I don't know what to expect when the bill comes. For instance, if we do CM's and the bill is $80 for the buffet part, and we spend $30 on drinks, do they just subtract out the buffet cost for the DDP? How does that work? But you are expected to tip on the total bill, so we would still tip on $110, even though we only pay $30 OOP?

I saw this on the link provided above: "An automatic gratuity charge may also be added to your bill for items you order that are not included in the Disney Dining Plan (for example, alcoholic beverages)." When would they charge that automatically? Do they always do this for other items?

At the TS restaurants, are there certain dishes that are excluded from the DDP? Is there a different DDP menu you have to order from?

Final question: if we are dining with a couple that has TIW but are not on the DDP, and we are on the DDP, can we get the check together to utilize the TIW discount on drinks and other non-DDP items?

Thanks so much! OP, I hope this helps you out as well. Have a magical time!!

Mickey'sGirl
02-11-2013, 10:54 AM
You tip on the total bill. The receipt that gets brought to your table should show the suggested TIP amounts. If your bill is $110, then you would be expected to tip about $20 (18%).

SBETigg
02-11-2013, 12:06 PM
There are Signature restaurants, which offer a finer dining experience (fewer kids), but also take two dining plan credits per meal, and there are some very good one credit restaurants for adults without kids, too. Make sure you use up all your credits.

In the regular dining plan, you get a quick service meal, a table service meal, and a snack credit per person per nights of stay. So if you're staying for seven nights, you have seven table service meals to book (or less if you use two credits on one for a Signature dining venue). It does help to make ADRs in advance.

Some good ones:
Hacienda de San Angel
Grand Floridian Cafe
Kouzzina
Raglan Road
'Ohana
Via Napoli
Chefs de France
Boma
Sanaa
Teppan Edo or Tokyo Dining

I also like (Signature Dining):
Monsieur Paul
Narcoossee's
Citricos
Jiko
Flying Fish
California Grill (which is closed for extensive renovations)

merryc17
02-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Thanks, I am glad I asked. I wouldn't even have thought about the tip situation!

After reading through a few threads on here, we decided to pick brunch on our last day at Boma. I've never been there before. In fact, I've never been to AKL. Yay or nay?

lawgirl
02-11-2013, 10:41 PM
AKL is my favorite place. Ever. I want to move there!

I think you'll love Boma, and the AKL resort itself is enchanting.

Make sure you order one of their specialty POG-mosa's. It's their take on the mimosa, using their special juice blend.

I don't know if you'll have time, but Jiko and Sanaa are also excellent restaurants, and always get the highest ratings. All of the dining choices at AKL are great.

snowflakegirl
02-12-2013, 08:14 PM
I've never had breakfast/brunch at Boma, but I've eaten dinner there...it's one of my all time favorite meals ever. And I'm absolutely in love with AKL. DH and I were lucky enough to stay there on our last trip...we may not have eaten breakfast at Boma, but I can tell you it smelled delicious. Even without brunch, I'd say a trip to AKL to check out the lobby and stroll by the savannah and check out some animal overlooks is worth it.

Lindsey310
02-12-2013, 08:19 PM
Thanks, I am glad I asked. I wouldn't even have thought about the tip situation!

After reading through a few threads on here, we decided to pick brunch on our last day at Boma. I've never been there before. In fact, I've never been to AKL. Yay or nay?

Yay!!! You will love it!! AKL is beautiful and make sure to sit in the rocking chairs overlooking the savannah on the top floor off the lobby. Beautiful and very relaxing!!! :mickey:
Have a great honeymoon!!!!!!

beksy
02-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Just wanted to stop by and wish you both the best...on your honeymoon and in your lives together...may your lives be filled with love and happiness! :wishes: :heart:

merryc17
02-15-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks everyone, you've all been a big help! :)

PlutoPlanet
02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
There are Signature restaurants, which offer a finer dining experience (fewer kids), but also take two dining plan credits per meal, and there are some very good one credit restaurants for adults without kids, too. Make sure you use up all your credits.

In the regular dining plan, you get a quick service meal, a table service meal, and a snack credit per person per nights of stay. So if you're staying for seven nights, you have seven table service meals to book (or less if you use two credits on one for a Signature dining venue). It does help to make ADRs in advance.

Some good ones:
Hacienda de San Angel
Grand Floridian Cafe
Kouzzina
Raglan Road
'Ohana
Via Napoli
Chefs de France
Boma
Sanaa
Teppan Edo or Tokyo Dining

I also like (Signature Dining):
Monsieur Paul
Narcoossee's
Citricos
Jiko
Flying Fish
California Grill (which is closed for extensive renovations)

Make ADRs ASAP. I like this list. Our favs are Boma, Kouzzina and Via Napoli.