PDA

View Full Version : Points+cash for Cruise

dixielandings
02-10-2013, 05:05 PM
Hey all -

We are looking at cruising in spring of 2014 and boy, it's expensive. We would like to see about using points for part of it but I'm having trouble locating a points chart. Can I find this info on DVC member...or in the current points guide? I just can't find it anywhere...

At this point, I just need an ballpark idea of what it would be.

Thanks!

VWL Mom
02-10-2013, 06:29 PM
The points are listed on the member site under vacation planning tools. Scroll down to the 2014 Disney collection and you'll find them there.

dnickels
02-10-2013, 08:51 PM
While I'm not a DVC member my understanding is that using points for a cruise is generally not considered the best use of those points (at least as far as maximizing their value). Given that, you might also look into renting out those points for the year and booking a cruise separately.

Also, regarding how expensive they are, most cruisers say that you can get much better value dollar for dollar on a non-Disney cruise line so be sure to price them out on other cruise lines as well before you automatically book with Disney.

DizneyRox
02-11-2013, 03:09 AM
Guestimate? 7 Night Navigator Verandah aboard the Fantasy in Spring 2014 will run you 241 per person for the first two guests and anywhere between 79 and 216 for the 3rd and 4th guest depending on age (and 3rd and 4th isn't broken down as much as the first two.

So, typical family of 4 can expect something like 850 points for a 7 night cruise.

The Dream might be a little closer to 400

DizneyRox
02-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Ok, April 12th, Fantasy, cheapest cabin with verandah is $6200 for 4...

You can rent out that 850 points for $9300 and use the cash for the cruise and probably airfare, spending money and maybe even have a little left over.

Now, my point numbers might be off a little, but the first and second guest are 241 points each. That's $5300 before adding a 3rd or 4th.

I can't imagine a case where points would be a better value over cold hard cash.

DVC2004
02-11-2013, 04:55 PM
We have cruised 3 times on Disney and find it better just to pay cash. Also, any special offers that may come up will not apply to you if any person in your party is booked on points. Sometimes they offer a kids sail free or somthing like that. If you book in cash, and a promo comes up, you can usually cancel and rebook. If you book on points, forget it. You can't get anything and could risk losing lots of points if you cancel.