PDA

View Full Version : When do they charge your credit card

wdwjoeindy
02-10-2013, 08:32 AM
What time at checkout do they charge your card? Midnight the day you check out? I ask because I get paid the day we check out and I would like to use some of that money. My money would be avl at midnight.

I am using my bank card instead of accredit card

Thanks

Strmchsr
02-10-2013, 08:57 AM
They usually charge you overnight when they process your account. When you wake up in the morning of the day you check-out you should find a statement hanging on your door with all charges listed. Those statements are usually put out around 2 or 3 am so they charge your card prior to that. They want to make sure you have a zero balance before you leave the resort.

If you have the possibility, I would REALLY recommend not using a debit card and using a credit card instead. When I was down a couple of weeks ago a computer snafu caused my card to be triple charged. Other than being an irritation that wasn't a huge deal with my CC as I walked down to the front desk and they reversed the charges immediately, but with a debit card that could've been a big problem.

mechanic
02-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Also if you make other purchases during your stay, using room key, you card will be charged once you reach a certain balance. I've used debit cards before but wouldn't if I didn't have to.

Strmchsr
02-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Also if you make other purchases during your stay, using room key, you card will be charged once you reach a certain balance.

Yeah, it's $500 for values, $1000 for moderates, and $1500 for deluxe. I don't remember though - do they actually charge that before checkout? I was thinking you had that limit for charging and then had to authorize them to charge your account so that you would have another $500 (or whatever) limit again.

beksy
02-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Yeah, it's $500 for values, $1000 for moderates, and $1500 for deluxe. I don't remember though - do they actually charge that before checkout? I was thinking you had that limit for charging and then had to authorize them to charge your account so that you would have another $500 (or whatever) limit again.

We have found that once you hit the limit, you have to contact the resort you are staying at and get them to re-set the limit. They charge the card the $500 or whatever amount at that time and then the cycle starts over. If you never meet the $500, then on the last night at midnight your card is charged with whatever balance is remaining on your account. Hope that makes sense.

DizneyRox
02-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Some people have reported being charged and never knowing, others have reported that their room charge stopped working until they contacted the front desk.

I don't know if we've ever hit our limit. We're usually DVC and there's nothing to buy anymore.

LVT
02-10-2013, 05:47 PM
We hit the limit at POP quickly. After going to the desk several times, they just did it without extra steps by me. I do not know why it changed mid-trip.

MrPeetrie
02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
On our last trip, our debit card was charged twice. If memory serves me correctly, it was about $850 the first time, then the balance the night before checkout.

Dulcee
02-11-2013, 11:58 AM
We were charged twice on our trip. We stayed at POR and the first time was when we hit about $900 and then the second close to checking out.

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
02-11-2013, 12:09 PM
If you hit the credit limit during your stay, your credit card is charged overnight on the day you hit your limit and, with your balanced zeroed out, your credit is fully available up to the limit again. The quirk is that on the day you hit your limit, you cannot charge to your room for the rest of the day after you hit your limit without somewhat of a hassle. The merchant typically can call your resort and get them to charge your credit card to create new credit availability, but this takes time and not all merchants know how to do this. (For example, the cast members at World of Disney typically are well-versed in this. However, you likely will not be able to get this done by a cart snack vendor.) You can call your resort, too, but again, this is a bit of a hassle and takes some time.

If you think you might be approaching your limit, it is worth stopping by the front desk of your resort to check how close you are to the limit and, if you are close, to have them charge your credit card to zero out your balance. Also, we discovered a few years ago that you can ask at check-in to have your credit limit increased. The front desk cast member will talk to a supervisor. In our experience, if approved, it happens very quickly. We always stay at the Beach Club Villas where, as a deluxe, the normal credit limit is $1,500. We have had it increased to $5,000 on most trips. (We eat a lot of Mickey ice cream bars..........)