PDA

View Full Version : My K Cup for Keurig

Melanie
02-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Anyone use the My K Cup and use ground coffee for their Keurig?

Just curious if you prefer that over using the individual K cups.

SBETigg
02-09-2013, 12:29 PM
I do both. My friend sent me a big box of gourmet coffees to get me through my last deadline, so I got a cup filter thing to be able to enjoy that. It actually seems to brew a better cup than the K cups, but maybe it's just much better coffee than I usually have in the K cups. I have a pretty wide assortment of those, too, though.

badkitty
02-09-2013, 02:17 PM
I use both but I prefer the My K cup to use my own fresh ground favorite beans. The K cups though are so easy and convenient that I tend to used purchased K cups more frequently.

VWL Mom
02-09-2013, 02:24 PM
I tend to use both, too. One thing I do like about filling my own is that I can alter the strength of the coffee depending upon my mood.

WDWgoofy
02-09-2013, 02:43 PM
I have tried My K Cup and recently another option that I purchased from Amazon and I do not like either option.

TinkerbellT421
02-09-2013, 02:59 PM
I use both. I enjoy my k cup for using special coffees and my own grinds for cheaper purposes. I like it.

Ian
02-09-2013, 08:06 PM
I was going to make some kind of bra joke here, but then I remembered that INTERCOT is family friendly. :secret:

Melanie
02-09-2013, 08:10 PM
I was going to make some kind of bra joke here, but then I remembered that INTERCOT is family friendly. :secret:

:shake:

BrerGnat
02-09-2013, 08:23 PM
My MIL uses it exclusively with her Keurig. She really loves it. It saves SO much money.

stephicakes
02-10-2013, 08:02 AM
I have used both in the past but prefer the K cups. I thought using my own ground coffee would save money but then we found a huge box of Folgers K cups at Sam's Club in bulk. We did the math and it comes to less than twenty-five cents a cup! Can't beat that - K cups are expensive! Folgers isn't my favorite but for a quick cup of java in the morning... it does the trick!! :sleepin:

steph :)

Katzateer
02-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Is the coffee really that much better in the My k cup than just using a Mr. Coffee? I use my Brita water pitcher and a high quality coffee and so far haven't sprung for the Keurig. I look at those little cups and the cost and shutter. Seems like it is almost as bad as a daily Starbucks.

The girls would love to get one for their teas. Right now they use a teapot but drink tea 3 or more times a day so that sounds like Keurig would get costly.

We have used the little cups when we used to go to member receptions at Longwood Gardens ( they discontinued those about a year ago) and we did enjoy the drinks we tried ( especially the hot chocolates).

Melanie
02-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Is the coffee really that much better in the My k cup than just using a Mr. Coffee? I use my Brita water pitcher and a high quality coffee and so far haven't sprung for the Keurig. I look at those little cups and the cost and shutter. Seems like it is almost as bad as a daily Starbucks.

It's definitely not as costly as a daily Starbucks, but the K cups are expensive, no doubt.

My question was mainly to find out if people liked the taste of the coffee making it with the My K Cup, because it definitely WOULD be cheaper to buy the ground coffee and make my daily cups (usually 3) that way, as opposed to buying the expensive little cups.

I love my Keurig and would never go back to a traditional coffee pot. That said, I'm the only one in the house who drinks coffee, and making a pot a day just didn't' make sense. Honestly, I was drinking more coffee daily than I should have before I got the Keurig. :eek:

beksy
02-10-2013, 10:06 AM

:funny:

TheDuckRocks
02-10-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm sorry Mel, but not being a coffee drinker or maker my weird brain went exactly where Ian's did.:blush:

Melanie
02-10-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry Mel, but not being a coffee drinker or maker my weird brain went exactly where Ian's did.:blush:

Okay, I'm changing the name of the thread.

SBETigg
02-10-2013, 11:25 AM
I love my Keurig and would never go back to a traditional coffee pot. That said, I'm the only one in the house who drinks coffee, and making a pot a day just didn't' make sense. Honestly, I was drinking more coffee daily than I should have before I got the Keurig. :eek:

Exactly. I'm the only coffee drinker in my house most of the time, so the Keurig just makes sense for me. It's so much easier than making a whole pot for just me, even after I downgraded to a smaller 4-cup machine. Plus, sometimes other people in the house go for tea or cocoa with it. Basically, for me, it was give up coffee or go with the Keurig because I just didn't want to fuss with making a pot for just me every day.

And it's not that pricey at all if you use the filter cup with ground coffee versus buying K cups. But even the K cups aren't that bad-- it is cheaper than a Starbucks a day and you can often find them on sale.

Dulcee
02-10-2013, 12:46 PM
I have one but only use it on days that I run out of K cups. Just isn't the same, even with high quality coffee. Plus I admit I like the ability to just chuck the k cup after brewing.

princessgirls
02-12-2013, 02:20 PM
My Mom shared that she and her friends buy their K-Cups ONLY at Bed Bath and Beyond, as they can use their coupons. $5.00 off or 20%. OR Kohl's when you get a 30% off coupon.

My sister gave us her brand new Keurig because she only likes her french press coffee. I LOVE IT, as I was buying a Dunkin Medium a day. My sister also gave me a box of assorted K-Cups she bought on Amazon. I've bought hot chocolate for the kids. Is it cheap...no, but it's sooo easy, and no mess.. I LOVE IT!! LOVE A GOOD I DON'T WANT THIS DO YOU HAVE A USE FOR IT kind of find!!!

Julie:mickey:

caryrae
02-12-2013, 02:56 PM
I've had a Kuerig for a long time. I use the K-cups and and a filter called ecobrew cup which is pretty much the same as the my k-cup. I tend to use the ecobrew more because the k-cups can get pretty expensive for the amount of cups of coffee you get. I did get a ton of different k-cups for Xmas which will last me many months. I like the Dunkin Donuts coffee which we can't get their k-cups here so I have to buy the ground coffee at the store. I would like to try the new Kuerig Vue machine but just to expensive. Makes hotter and stronger coffee if you want and the vue cups are easily recyclable, you just peel off the foil cover.

BriarRose0708
02-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Plus I admit I like the ability to just chuck the k cup after brewing.

This is why I won't go to a Kurig or single cup brewer system. Too much waste, and it makes me cringe to think of all the K-cups in landfills. I use a reusable mesh filter and compost my coffee grounds (and tea bags). I can control the strength of each pot. I'm the only coffee drinker in the apartment but I could care less if I drink the whole thing myself. Since giving up sodas, my morning coffee jolt is the only caffeine of the day :coffee:

AZ Disney
02-12-2013, 06:24 PM
I love My K Cup! I got it for Christmas. I'm currently brewing Hawaiian Hazelnut from Sprouts! Yummy!

I've never been able to get a pot of coffee to brew to my liking. We were addicted to Starbuck's to the tune of about $400 per month. One day about 6 months ago,we said enough is enough. I had a 30% Kohls coupon and it was already on sale. We've never looked back.

Kohl's K cups even with the 30% coupon are still very expensive. Costco if you enjoy what they offer has good pricing, but I really enjoyed the Holiday Variety Box (gingerbread,etc) from Bed Bath and Beyond.

One other tip, we bought the $5 frother from IKEA! Love it!

Katzateer
02-12-2013, 08:06 PM
This is why I won't go to a Kurig or single cup brewer system. Too much waste, and it makes me cringe to think of all the K-cups in landfills. I use a reusable mesh filter and compost my coffee grounds (and tea bags). I can control the strength of each pot. I'm the only coffee drinker in the apartment but I could care less if I drink the whole thing myself. Since giving up sodas, my morning coffee jolt is the only caffeine of the day :coffee:

That is one thing that bothers me about the k-cups - all the little containers to throw away. I use a reusable filter for my 2 cup Mr. coffee and just microwave my tea water.

And I am drinking a lot more decaf tea since I have given up my daily Diet Coke habit. I keep none in the house and allow myself one as a special treat if I get a burger out.

My favorite coffee is Millstone Kona Blend which I can get at Walmart sometimes ( they tend to run out often).

Kairi_7378
02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
My husband's office has a K-cup machine but due to budget cuts they just stopped stocking coffee. Before they stopped stocking the coffee, they were having supply issues and ended up with a lot of stale pods. So I got him a K cup so that he can enjoy his own coffee in the office. :mcoffee:

Caroleh
02-12-2013, 09:39 PM
I love my Keurig!! I won it from work a couple of years ago. I use something similar to my k cup and love it. The only thing I found is that the coffee is a little stronger with the Kcups. I love the ease of the k cups..especially in the morning before work(at 6am I don't want to clean coffee grounds.)

barnaby
02-13-2013, 05:39 PM
My mom surprised me with a Keurig on Christmas and I love it.

I do both. I usually do the K-Cups during the week before work, just easier to drop the K-Cup in and brew. Not that filling up the My K-Cup is that much time or hassle.
On the weekends, I fill up my K-Cup.

As far as K-Cup cost, I hit the nearby Super Walmart and find good deals. Yesterday, I got a breakfast blend at 12 for 6 bucks and got a french vanilla cappucino at 18 for 7 bucks. I've heard you can find some good deals on line if you buy in bulk, but haven't research it yet.

Carol
02-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Nope. I have 2 of them and do not use them. I'm sure it is cheaper but for me it's all about convenience. Plus Caribou coffee is not readily available in my area and that's my daily coffee of preference.

MNNHFLTX
02-17-2013, 10:19 PM
I donated my My K-cup to son Jake (poor college student and all). So I use K-cups exclusively right now. It's not nearly as expensive as Starbuck's (about 1/5th the cost, I think). My favorite is he Donut Shop Decaf.