PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain

K8screen
02-09-2013, 07:14 AM
We visited WDW last summer. It was DBFs first visit, and I hadnt visited for several years. Space Mountain used to be my favourite ride, and as DBF doesnt do coasters, we got 2 FPs so that I could use both. However, I gave the second one away, as the first ride was so ROUGH!! Ok, I am a senior now, (just!) but I still loved RnRC, EE etc, but all I got from Space Mountain was bruises! I'm sure it wouldnt have been my favourite ride 15 or 20 years ago if it had been that rough. DBF jokingly suggested that as I am now 15 or so pounds lighter I had less padding, but it got me thinking that maybe the ride vehicles have been modified to accomodate our Pooh size friends, so us Piglets are shaken around more? Or maybe the ride has just got rougher with age? Or is it just me? What do you think?

hauntedmansiongirl
02-09-2013, 08:24 AM
I find SM rough too. I may be wrong, but I think it just old technology versus new technology. The new steel coasters are smooth as butter, whereas some of the old ones a just a step above a wooden coaster.

I do agree that the smaller you are, the more you are bounced around as well. :mickey:

Itchy
02-09-2013, 11:50 AM
In my younger days I liked the roller coaster type rides but as I have aged I have found that my body just does not handle the bumps, tossing, and sharp turns as well.

I have become a watcher instead of a rider. Oh well! There is still plenty of rides for this senior citizen. Look out Goofy's Barn Stormer and Dumbo...:mickey:

DonaldDuckUSA
02-09-2013, 11:56 AM
I thought the same thing. I still love costers, but I also feel SM is rougher than it used to be.

Melanie
02-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Space Mountain at Disneyland is so smooth now. I really wish they'd given the WDW Space the same overhaul when it went down for rehab a few years back. It's certainly better than it used to be, but no where near as smooth as DL.

TinkerbellT421
02-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm 28 and space mountain pulls out my back every time! It's not just an age thing, that ride is rough!

SandmanGStefani24
02-09-2013, 12:52 PM
i feel the opposite, actually.

Yes, it's a fun, rough ride, but when I was a kid I weighed around 120 pounds. Now as a semi-grown up I weigh 165-170 depending on how my week is going. I used to feel like I was floating around in space before, and now that I am a more snug fit in the cockpit, I feel like I'm jolted around a lot more than when I had room to give. Maybe it's rougher, but I love it anyway and would ride it repeatedly any day!
:number1:

WDW&MK
02-09-2013, 02:13 PM
I agree with the OP. SM used to be one of our favorite rides and since the rehab a few years ago it is really rough. I think the rehab also made it much darker so that you can't really anticipate at all and brace for turns. We've kind of stopped doing this ride which is a shame because it used to be so much fun.

WDWgoofy
02-09-2013, 02:29 PM
We just returned and we have ridden Space Mountain every visit (usually multiple times on every visit) over the past 20 years.

However, based on our experience this trip we have no plans to ever ride again - it is too jarring.

This, I guess, is a symptom of old age, but we had no problems with Rockin Rollercoaster or Exp Everest and plan to continue to enjoy these rides.

mechanic
02-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Have the cars gotten bigger? I only rode it one time, in july 2011. I'm 6'2" 325# and I found it very jerky. Not fond of barnstormer either. Oddly enough, big thunder is one of my favorites.

DizneyFreak2002
02-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Man, if only they did the complete refurb in 2009 instead of the TDO version, WDW's Space Mountain would be the best of the bunch... Oh well, we'll just ride 1970's steel coaster track for several more years...

Ian
02-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Space Mountain is rough, but for me that's half the fun! John and I rode Fire and Ice (or whatever the old Dueling Dragons coaster at IOA is called now) when we were there for ICOT-15 and I commented to him when we got off, "That was fun but it was too smooth! It felt like I was riding in a Cadillac!"

I'm old school ... I cut my coaster teeth on the old wooden behemoths and those things really knocked you around. Coasters need to be a lot more '74 Gremlin than '13 Caddy if you ask me lol

Melanie
02-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Then you must love the Matterhorn, Ian. Holy bumpy ride, Batman! I laugh the entire time, but boy do I feel beat up when I get off, much like WDW's Space.

DizneyFreak2002
02-09-2013, 08:15 PM
Space Mountain is rough, but for me that's half the fun! John and I rode Fire and Ice (or whatever the old Dueling Dragons coaster at IOA is called now) when we were there for ICOT-15 and I commented to him when we got off, "That was fun but it was too smooth! It felt like I was riding in a Cadillac!"

I'm old school ... I cut my coaster teeth on the old wooden behemoths and those things really knocked you around. Coasters need to be a lot more '74 Gremlin than '13 Caddy if you ask me lol

Then you must have loved the Viper and Great Adventure... Talk about whiplash... That coaster was so rough, I used to get off it with a headache...

SandmanGStefani24
02-09-2013, 10:23 PM

Reminds me of the old Texas Cyclone at Astroworld!

Main Street Jim
02-10-2013, 06:11 PM
Yes, the ride vehicles were widened just a bit after the 2009 rehab.

Keep in mind that Space Mountain out in California was down for nearly two years while the entire ride track was replaced.

Once again, Florida's park got the "Wal-Mart" version...LOL

Mickey'sIrishPAl
02-11-2013, 08:31 AM
I think the rehab also made it much darker so that you can't really anticipate at all and brace for turns.

Nail on the head there. Great point!! :mickey:

Patricia
02-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Although Ian enjoyed SM at the Icot meet, I heard him shout "Ouch" more than once while in there. :D

I tend to agree that it's the darkness. You really can't see which leads to being whipped around. I used to ride it multiple times with my kids but am feeling a bit beat up with age.. Now it's a once a trip ride or not at all. :blush:

indytraveler
02-11-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't mind the bumpyness. I'm just glad they did away with the "dual" seats that were originally in the ride. I find if I brace my legs that kinda keeps my lower body locked in place. While my upper body gets knocked around a little. All the while with my hands raised over my head.

Stu29573
02-11-2013, 11:45 AM
I agree with Ian. My first coaster was The Runaway Mine Train at 6 Flags Over Texas (which was the first mine train coaster, by the way) and BOY, does it knock you around. But it wouldn't be "right" if it didn't. I rode R&RC and it was just way too smooth. I prefer slower coasters with more "ride" to them...

EJS-Houston
02-11-2013, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure what it is. I used to love Space Mountain, but now I find it too rough, not because I'm too small, but because at 6'2" I'm too uncomfortably jammed into the car, so my knees are jammed against the car and the safety bar is jammed against my gut. With every rough turn I was getting punched in the gut, knee-capped or both. My brother, who's 6'1" and slenderer, felt the same way. We're probably going to give it a pass going forward. And there's literally no other ride in the entirety of Walt Disney World I feel that way about.

skadar2
02-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Having recently been to Disneyland for the first time, I can't help but compare rides.

Space Mountain at Disneyland is FAR superior to SM at WDW. It is smoother and the music they play in the car is wonderful. SM at WDW is definitely rough. I still ride it though for the sheer nostalgia. I mean, it is my childhood-in-a-building.

In trade, WDW gets a much better Splash Mountain!

RavsRuleDisney!
02-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Used to be one of my faves but stopped riding several years back when I suddenly realized my body didn't fare too well....really was bumped and jerked around and found myself not enjoying the ride at all. Only in my 40's but could be an age thing as the ride itself had not changed since prior rides (which I actually enjoyed). Cars seemed uncomfortable too. My DW - every trip! Go figure.... :mickey: