PDA

View Full Version : Tips for first time runner?

NewDVCowner
02-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I've signed up for the Disneyland Half in September and this is my first marathon. Does anyone have any tips to share? I know the whole idea of eating a carb heavy meal beforehand - but then I get stumped, is that one day before, or two? Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated. :mickey:

Christine
02-09-2013, 10:59 PM
I really don't do the carb loading thing the day(s) before the run. But I'll todo you my tips for eating the day of. I have half a bagel with peanut butter, a banana, and some coffee. Works wonders- I stay full and don't her a tummy ache.

Ill see ya in Disneyland!

badkitty
02-10-2013, 01:14 AM
I am new to the running scene (I only began the summer of 2011) but have found a lot of great stuff online and in running magazines. Check out the runDisney website and the runDisney blog. Lots of tips from trainers and nutritionists. I also love Jeff Galloway's website for informantion on running injury-free.

I don't do the carb loading either and agree with Christine for race-day.

The advice that works for me the day before is to eat only easily digested foods that don't have a lot of bulk after 2pm and not to introduce any new foods.

Also, practice running in your entire race-day attire. That way you know in advance what works and what doesn't.

I'm doing the 10K this year (opted out of the half because I didn't think I could do both) but I'll be cheering you on at mile 12 (I'm staying at the Anaheim Plaza).

Have fun with your training!

DisneyDINK
02-25-2013, 12:11 PM
I've done 20+ Halfs, 8 Marathons and lots of triathlons. IMHO - carbo-loading the day before or two days before isn't that important, not for a Half marathon at least.

Your body's muscle tissue will store enough glycogen (just think of it as an energy reserve - your body's chemical fuel tank if you will) to get you through about 2 to 3 hours of moderately intense exercise. A normal, healthy diet is enough to top off the tank in the couple of days before the race. It doesn't hurt to slightly increase your carbohydrate intake. Please choose whole grains instead of white rice and pasta. Why? They provide a more even source of energy and don't cause your blood sugar to spike.

My race day meal is usually a whole wheat bagel with some peanut butter, a banana and some water or gatorade or other elecrtolyte (that I have tested during training so make sure it doesn't mess with my stomach) and I eat that meal as early as I can on race day.

I like to bring along one or two energy gells on the race (Gu, Cliff Shot, Hammer Gel, etc. - all are available at running/triathlon stores) and I eat them NO LATER than 45 minutes before my anticipated finish; it takes some time for your body to make that energy available to you.

Aside from nutrition, be sure to have some comfortable shoes, socks and race clothing picked out. You should use this same clothing on your long training runs - test it all out in advance to make sure it will be comfortable. Oh... and buy some Body Glide! If you've never done a long race before the most important tip I can offer is to buy some Glide and be sure to apply it befoer the race to the right places.

Oh... and have fun!

disneygoofball
03-14-2013, 10:24 AM
The Disneyland half is a great choice for your first long race! All of the above advice is great. Try to relax and enjoy the experience. It will be a great time! :thumbsup:

I would highly encourage you to do your long training runs in the morning and eat the same thing that you plan on eating the morning of your race. I made the mistake of switching up my routine during my first half marathon and paid for it with two port-a-potty stops and an upset stomach during the race! :sick:

Awesome_guy
03-14-2013, 11:33 PM
I agree with so much already posted: practice in your game day shoes/gear. I keep my practicing runs simple in general... I try to run three times a week with only one run increasing distance and the other two shorter (4/5/6k with maybe a bit of hill/speed/interval work).

I too do the coffee thing but try not to have to much (adding to nervous run day stomach). I do half a banana when I wake up and half a bit closer to the race. And some kind of not-too-low-glycemic carb.

I try to eat healthy and stay hydrated the day(s) before.

I like having something for the run itself, usually a "gu' (I like the espresso-y chocolate-y ones vs the fruity ones for some reason) or two and maybe some Sharkie gummies to reward certain km benchmarks.

It all becomes a bit superstitious/ritualistic really. Really I just wouldn't want to "wreck" anything with anything too junky or excessive.

Strategy (practice). Story (try to do something fun and motivating/inspiring the day before, maybe a favourite movie). State (have some good music--if it's allowed, don't talk yourself out of any of it; you can do it!).

Have fun!

jonahbear2006
03-26-2013, 03:29 AM
Eating too much of anything before a race gives me side cramps from a bad place. I would test this stuff over the next 5mths and figure out what works best for you. Train like a mother has everything you need to know. great book. It did me a lot of good. basically if you try 5 days a week til then you will be good, no matter what distances you choose...just do the work and walk/jog at the least 1 - 9 mile distance before you show up...and expect to be sore afterwards. Regardless, you will have that medal hanging from your neck. Goodluck and dont give up. You can do this and you will cry when you do!!:cloud9:

conan617
04-04-2013, 06:14 PM
I would recommend the purchase of BodyGlide.
It it better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.