PDA

View Full Version : Nemo!

TinkerbellT421
02-07-2013, 06:38 PM
I find it funny they named tomorrows New England blizzard, Nemo! Lol

Is everyone prepared?

Capt_redshirt
02-07-2013, 07:15 PM
its odd the national weather service calls it nemo but cbs in hartford call it charlotte.... but still im prepared im just hoping the power stays on this time...

VWL Mom
02-07-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm hoping Nemo keeps on swimmin' and doesn't hang around too long. The snow I can handle but to deal with the winds and possible power outages again is not what I'm looking forward too.

Strmchsr
02-07-2013, 08:02 PM
its odd the national weather service calls it nemo but cbs in hartford call it charlotte.... but still im prepared im just hoping the power stays on this time...

Actually, the NWS doesn't call it anything. Only the Weather Channel has adopted this idiotic practice of naming winter storms. It's just a self-promotional tool for them. The reason CBS might call is something different is because they want to get in on TWC's action but they don't want to use TWC's name. The official statement from the NWS:

The National Weather Service has no opinion about private weather enterprise products and services. A winter storm's impact can vary from one location to another, and storms can weaken and redevelop, making it difficult to define where one ends and another begins. While the National Weather Service does not name winter storms, we do rate major winter storms after the fact.

In other words, please don't call this stupid thing Nemo and give credibility to the Weather Channel. Hurricanes are named because they are clearly defined closed centers of circulation. Winter storms and other weather events are fluid and changing. There's no need to name them because they are, essentially, undefinable.

All of that said, this truly could be a historic blizzard so those of you in the impact area stay safe and warm!

TinkerbellT421
02-07-2013, 08:20 PM
Thanks Chris! Yea everyone in Rhode Island is in a complete panic! They are having visions of the blizzard of 78 and it doesn't help that the anniversary of that blizzard was the other day! So everyone is in a complete panic around here!

Strmchsr
02-07-2013, 08:28 PM
So everyone is in a complete panic around here!

I would love to offer some reassuring words, but this is one case where saying the possibility of a historic storm isn't hyperbole. Doesn't mean it will be, and some areas will be hit harder than others. Those little details are impossible to forecast, but overall it definitely looks like everything is syncing up for a big one. Hopefully everything goes well for all of you.

TinkerbellT421
02-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I would love to offer some reassuring words, but this is one case where saying the possibility of a historic storm isn't hyperbole. Doesn't mean it will be, and some areas will be hit harder than others. Those little details are impossible to forecast, but overall it definitely looks like everything is syncing up for a big one. Hopefully everything goes well for all of you.

Thank you Chris! Just waiting for it to be over and done with! I Hate stressing over these things!

VWL Mom
02-08-2013, 07:06 AM
I've had the news on since the 530AM school closing call this morning. At least 5 times they've commented on people lining up at Home Depot to buy salt and shovels. What do these people do, buy a new shovel for every storm???:confused:

Ms. Mode
02-08-2013, 08:31 AM
I've had the news on since the 530AM school closing call this morning. At least 5 times they've commented on people lining up at Home Depot to buy salt and shovels. What do these people do, buy a new shovel for every storm???:confused:

I've often wondered the SAME thing! We are using the same shovel we bought 20 years ago when we bought the house!

Oh, and didn't Nemo get lost? :)

TinkerbellT421
02-08-2013, 10:22 AM

I've often wondered the same thing! Lol, glad to know I'm not the only one! I have three shovels, one got a little difficult to use because it has a metal strip along the bottom that over time became bent etc, so I bought an additional two. One for a back up mostly, but how can anyone have a house but not have a shovel. Isn't that like house owning 101? Lol

I've often wondered the SAME thing! We are using the same shovel we bought 20 years ago when we bought the house!

Oh, and didn't Nemo get lost? :)

I wish this one would too! lol there's a hilarious picture one fb I posted that I wish I could attach here, it shows nemo with an Gary face with snow in the back ground that just says "I'm coming" lol!

Hammer
02-08-2013, 10:53 AM

Well, I had to buy a new shovel this year, but I moved into a new house and I forgot my old shovel at my last home in the storage closet, so I had a good reason. However, I did not wait until yesterday to buy my shovel or ice melt! I bought all of those things just after Christmas.

MNNHFLTX
02-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Actually, the NWS doesn't call it anything. Only the Weather Channel has adopted this idiotic practice of naming winter storms. It's just a self-promotional tool for them. The reason CBS might call is something different is because they want to get in on TWC's action but they don't want to use TWC's name.
Thank you, Chris! I just think it's the silliest thing to name winter storms. If really impressive after the fact, I still prefer the old standby titles--the Blizzard of 1888, the Storm of the Century (I remember that one as I lived in New Hampshire at the time) and the Halloween Storm (don't remember the year on that, just the name). Having grown up in Minnesota, major snowstorms were a dime a dozen--I can't imagine them all having names.

That said, stay safe everyone up there in the Great White North (sorry to steal a line from a song about Canada!)

SBETigg
02-08-2013, 11:01 PM
It's crazy windy with huge snow drifts here in CT. Having trouble convincing our corgi to go out even for a minute. But we still have power, good news. It will be a long windy snowy night.

Katzateer
02-09-2013, 08:30 AM
Hope everyone can say safe and warm during this storm. We were lucky to just be on the edge of it - little snow but it is windy.

I work at a grocery and everyone at work is always amazed at what people pile into their carts when preparing for a storm.. Why do they need that much milk, fresh meat and frozen food?? If the power goes out how do they cook it and keep it from going bad?? I always load up on non-perishable items and canned and packages that don't need any special storage. We have a generator but it can only do much .....

Guess it is from my survival skills from backpacking when I was younger- be prepared but only get items that can really be used..

SBETigg
02-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Wow, did we get hit! Never lost power, thank goodness, and we have plenty of food and wine on hand (a good thing, because there's a travel ban in effect in my town). We got between 32-34 inches, by my best estimate. I know it's more than two feet. From one storm. Crazy. I don't remember a storm that dumped this much on us at once.

Grocery stores were pretty crazy pre-storm, though, and yes people stock up on strange things when a storm comes. I learned to stock up on non-perishables after 2011's October storm when we were without power for 8 days and had to throw away a lot of refrigerated/frozen food.

TinkerbellT421
02-09-2013, 12:44 PM
Got walloped here! Some areas over 30 inches, five to six foot snow drifts. My town stopped plowing at 7pm, and decided to "wait" for the sort, to be over, so now all our roads have about two to three feet of snow on them. The blizzard thunder was crazy last night! Never seen anything like it! Only lost power for a minute a few times but other than that we are okay!