PDA

View Full Version : what Music Artist ot Groups did you grow up listening to?

delawareron
02-07-2013, 08:44 AM
As a Child growing up. I listened to a lot of Music.from Motown to Jazz.as a teen I watched MTV when they showed only music videos 24 hours a day. Here's a loooooong list of Music groups I grew up listening to
Michael Jackson
Janet Jackson
Jackson 5
The Human Leauge
Level 42
Kenny G
Prince
Hiroshima
Simple Minds
Roger Troutman & Zapp
Stevie Wonder
Smokie Robinson
Dave Grusin
And Many others I could not fit on my list. So what did you listen to growing up?

minnie04
02-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Growing up in our house meant listening to the Bee Gees... lol my sister is a huge fan and really that’s all we used to hear blasted through the house. As I grew up and started my own taste in music. I would listen to

Michael Jackson
Culture Club
Prince
Journey
Duran Duran
Rush
Styx
R&B (slow jams)
Rap (hip hop)
Goo Goo Dolls (my favorite)
Bon Jovi
really anything on the radio

Now as I’m older older

I love country and R&B
again anything on the radio. :mickey:

BriarRose0708
02-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Oh man, you've sent me down memory lane in the way back machine! Music was so important in my house growing up and I listened to everything, but from about 3 years old to 6th grade I remember really loving:
New Kids on the Block
Paula Abdul
Janet Jackson (especially Control and Rhythm Nation)
Mariah Carey
Steve Miller Band
Peter Gabriel
Genesis
Phil Collins
Pat Benatar
Gloria Estefan
Taylor Dane
Debbie Gibson
Tiffany
Huey Lewis and the News
Madonna (I had to listen in secret because my mom didn't like her)
The Bangles

And then in middle school I really latched on to the boy band and sugar pop craze-
Hanson
Backstreet Boys
'NSYNC
Take That
TLC
Destiny's Child
Spice Girls
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera

Wow, I may just have to make a few playlists on Spotify!

princessgirls
02-07-2013, 11:54 AM
I was in my full teen glory in the 80's...

Bon Jovi
Madonna
Pat Benetar
BRUCE
The Who
RUSH
Duran Duran
Michael Jackson's Thriller Album was sooo popular when I was in 8th grade. LOVED IT.
Van Halen
Boston
Led Zep
Aerosmith

I liked variety!!
Love my Sirius XM 80's on 8.

My parents liked music...
When I hear Steely Dan, The Four Seasons, Bee Gees, Gloria Gaynor, Michael McDonnell, funny how I hear a song on the radio that can take me back to a family gathering!
Julie:mickey:

Dulcee
02-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Child of the late 80s/early 90s here. I've always loved country but through middle school listened to some current "pop" groups too..

NSYNC
98 degrees
Backstreet Boys
JoDee Messina
Rascal Flatts
Brooks & Dunn
Journey
Allman Brothers
Bruce
Meatloaf
Montgomery Gentry
Garth Brooks
Clint Black
Dixie Chicks
(the country love got me teased endlessly in my NJ high school...)

And compliments of my parent's influence
Jimmy Buffet
Barry Manilow
John Denver (I can vividly remember the day he died, sitting with my Mom and crying with her..)
James Taylor

I still love all 4 of those guys...though I will say I get some definite looks when blaring Mandy through my grad student office... :blush:

princessgirls
02-07-2013, 01:43 PM
How could I forget JOURNEY????

Journey's Greatest Hits IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE CD'S OF ALL TIMES!!!!

Julie:mickey:

TheDuckRocks
02-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Elvis
Ricky Nelson
Johnny Mathis
Buddy Holly
The Platters
Fabian
Bobby Rydell
Paul Anka

Hee-hee, I told you guys I am the oldest Intercot poster and I'm not kidding.

Ian
02-08-2013, 01:20 PM
I have very eclectic musical tastes. When I was very young my Dad was always playing a lot of singer/songwriter stuff so I got very into guys like Jim Croce and James Taylor and Dan Fogelberg. At the same time, my Mom was big into the Beatles but also very much into classical music and opera and ballet ... things like that.

My musical formative years were from about the late-70's to the mid-80's and I discovered rock and roll pretty young (mostly courtesy of Kiss). I cut my teeth on bands like AC/DC, Journey, Steve Miller Band, REO Speedwagon, Asia, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Yes, U2, Springsteen ...

In the 80's, groups like the Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, and Run DMC helped me pick up an appreciation for rap music and I also discovered punk bands like Violent Femmes, Bad Religion, Social Distortion, and groups a bit more out on the edge of mainstream music.

I went through a period of time where I was almost obsessed with The Doors and that lead to a pretty deep interest in Blues and Jazz music.

So at the end of the day, there's really not much I don't like. I've never picked up my Mom's appreciation for opera (well ... most of it ... there are a few aria's out there that are so beautiful they make me want to cry but most of it sounds like two cats fighting to me ;) ) and I can't say I'm a huge fan of bubble-gum pop or mainstream R&B.

I will say, though, that most people who saw what I have nestled up next to each other on my iPod might look to have me committed lol

Cheshire_Girl
02-08-2013, 01:43 PM
I feel so all alone! Am I the only Old School Metal Girl???
My tastes have changed drastically from when I was a kid, however I still love my old favorites that I grew up to...my personal choices, and still my favorites....

Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
King Diamond
Dio
Ozzy
Scorpions
and don't forget the Hair Bands
and the Doors..already classic rock when I was a kid-but still one of my all time favs!

Now a days I like Accoustic Easy listening to Ska to R&B...Southern Rock..Adult Alternative...You name it-I can probably find something I like in any genre. But I still love my old school metal :thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
02-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Just about anything from the late '70s-'80s. The *best* era of music :P

Anything from Michael Jackson and Madonna to 2Live Crew, Run-DMC, and just about any rap.

I was one of about 4 white boys that could breakdance in junior high and high school...LOL

Jeff
02-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I will limit my list to artists I listened to up to age 20 (which was in 1980)!
Dylan
Stones
ELO
Queen
Styx
REO
Bob Seger
Wings
Beatles
Klatuu
Alice Cooper
Doobie Brothers
Van Halen
Crosby, Stills, Nash and sometimes Young
Cheap Trick
Rush

And most of those I saw in concert back when Rock shows were cheap. Saw Queen n Heart together for $10

Dopey's Girl
02-08-2013, 04:50 PM
I will say, though, that most people who saw what I have nestled up next to each other on my iPod might look to have me committed lol

My mom says if any one ever heard my playlists they would thing I'm schizophrenic. I have everything from 50's Motown, to 70's Singers and Songwriters, 80's and 90's Pop (NKOTB!), to Jay Z and Disney Ride tunes. Throw some Johnny Cash and current country in there with some Show Tunes, and you have my iPod. I'm not a huge Metal fan, but will listen to nearly anything!

DisneyDog
02-14-2013, 04:14 PM
I grew up in the 80s and went to college in the late 80s early 90s. Spent all that time in the Philadelphia/Delaware Valley, so that affected what I listed to, somewhat.

The Hooters
Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers
Hall and Oates
Cyndi Lauper
10,000 Maniacs
Squeeze
Genesis/Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel
Billy Joel

Janmac
02-15-2013, 06:31 PM
We didn't have a lot of choice - most radio stations were AM, as Kay will attest. One town I lived in had a Platter Party from about 3 pm to about 6 pm for kids. There was different programing during the day for the moms and something else after supper. Once the sun went down we could get the high power station from Oklahoma that had some good music.

Which is a long way of saying I listened to a lot of stuff that I wasn't a major fan of, like the Beach Boys and the Beatles. I did like Jimmy Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, Doors, and this little quiet tune - Come Monday - by some guy I had trouble remembering the name of . . .

:marg:

Jan

crazypoohbear
02-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Beatles
Beach boys
Jan & Dean
Monkees
Hermin's Hermits
Dave Clark 5
Partridge family
Led Zepplin
the Doors
Janis Joplin
Jefferson AIRPLANE
3 Dog Night
The Carpenters
Buddy Holly
Billy Joel
Rod Stewart
Linda Ronstadt
Steppenwolf
Meatloaf
REO Speedwagon

I had a very ecclectic music upbringing :mickey:

TheVBs
02-16-2013, 03:29 PM
My taste is eclectic now, but I was definitely an 80's child. All of the hits that were on MTV at the time is basically what I was listening too. The other day, just for kicks, I got an Adam Ant greatest hits CD from the library. Dear god. No wonder my dad wanted to throw my stereo out the window! :blush: The only song I can still sit through is Goody Two Shoes.

Ian
02-16-2013, 10:05 PM
I grew up in the 80s and went to college in the late 80s early 90s. Spent all that time in the Philadelphia/Delaware Valley, so that affected what I listed to, somewhat.

The Hooters
Tommy Conwell and the Young Rumblers
Hall and Oates
Cyndi Lauper
10,000 Maniacs
Squeeze
Genesis/Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel
Billy JoelDD, I bet you and I saw some of the same concerts ... I saw Genesis, Billy Joel, and PG at the Spectrum more times than I can count!

And I saw the Hooters in concert at my high school auditorium lol

IwannabeinNarnia
02-18-2013, 10:31 AM
in my younger growing up years I loved Menudo. Then it was New Kids on the Block and the Jets. as I grew out of my teen years I moved into the 'hair bands'.. Poison, Firehouse, Nelson, Trixter, Van Halen, Extreme, SKid Row, etc... THEN.. after I got married my husband got me into country.. so then I listened to Colin Ray, Garth Brooks, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn,Billy Ray Cyrus etc.... then I moved into Christian music like the Gaithers, Mercy Me, CAsting Crowns.. etc.. LOL... I guess I've really run the gamut on musical likes..

DisneyDog
02-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Ian, I saw Billy Joel at the Spectrum in 1988, Squeeze at the Tower in 1987, Genesis at the Vet in 1987 and again at the Spectrum after I met my hubby in 1994. Saw Phil Collins twice at the Spectrum, but don't remember the years. I finally got to see the Hooters when they came to the University of Delaware in 1988 and thought it was the best show I had ever seen. Recently, I saw them at the Spectrum Last Call Show (along with Hall and Oates, finally) and at the Borgata. Now, Dave Uosikkenen, their drummer, performs with most of the band in his In The Pocket project, which included Tommy Conwell (finally got to see him too! He still rocks!) I have never seen Peter Gabriel or Cyndi Lauper (or 10,000 Maniacs, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards.)

Jill

Ian
02-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Ian, I saw Billy Joel at the Spectrum in 1988, Squeeze at the Tower in 1987, Genesis at the Vet in 1987 and again at the Spectrum after I met my hubby in 1994.Yep ... I was at the Billy Joel show in '88 (I saw all his shows at the Spectrum that year) and the Genesis show at the Vet in '87.

We have some shared experiences! I still have my ticket stubs, too. ;)

garymacd
02-21-2013, 05:49 PM
I just saw a fundraiser special on PBS the other night that made me start to feel old. I remember listening to a lot of the musical groups they focused on:

Gerry and the Pacemakers
(Ferry, Cross the Mersey! I get it! I finally get it! We said that after our trip to Liverpool)
The Tremeloes
Dusty Springfield
Petula Clark
Moody Blues
Eric Burden
The Troggs

According to this show The Guess Who was from England. Funny, I didn't know Manitoba had moved!

There were also lots of Canadian groups we listened to:
The Guess Who
The Stampeders
The Five Man Electrical Band (aka the Staccatos)
Mash McCann
Gino Vannelli

And, of course, the "International Stars":
Bob Dylan
The Delfonics
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
The Four Tops
Carly Simon
Carol King
The Classics IV
The Doors
Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
Righteous Brothers
The Temptations
Santana

Just to name a few.

Okay, Kay. Maybe I'm not as old as you.

Janmac
02-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Okay, Kay. Maybe I'm not as old as you.

Nope, but apparently we're about the same vintage.

I had forgotten about Eric Burden and the Animals.

And the Moody Blues.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Jan

Katzateer
02-24-2013, 04:40 PM
I loved Gordon Lightfoot! His concert was him on stage, one amp, and his guitar! Great times!!

Oh, and me and my Boston Terrier Penny dancing to The Monkees albums in my basement bedroom. We could get as loud and crazy as we wanted down there.:cool:

Guess I am certainly dating myself!

And I was in Up With People so I would practice my solo and songs( we had a local cast of 125 teens in Indiana!

SandmanGStefani24
02-24-2013, 05:27 PM
gonna be in the minority here on intercot lol

Guns N Roses
Metallica
Alice In Chains
Danzig
Slayer
Megadeth

pretty much a metal hard rock guy but sad to say rock and metal are dead as a genre these days. Still love the hair bands and metal, but these days really into pretty much any 80s music. But it does look really weird to see No Doubt and Gwen Stefani cds next to Master of Puppets. :D What can I say, she's a hottie!

comicguy
02-24-2013, 08:09 PM
I grew up listening to:

Bon Jovi
Cinderella
Skid Row
Motley Crue
Scorpions
Ozzy
Beach Boys
Beatles

plus the standard top 40 of the 80's

Lindsey
02-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Green Day
Garbage
Nine Inch Nails
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Weezer
The Cure
No Doubt (I don't like the stuff they come out with today).
Queen (Found my Dad's old cassette and fell in love with them at age 8).