PDA

View Full Version : Out With the Iron, In With the Cat

Melanie
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
From CNN

Out with the iron, in with the cat: Monopoly has a new token

The iron's out and the cat's in Hasbro's latest update to its iconic Monopoly board game, the company announced Wednesday.

The company invited Monopoly fans to vote on which of its icons would be dropped in favor of a new one "that's more representative of today's Monopoly players," Eric Nyman, senior vice president for Hasbro Gaming, said at the start of the campaign last month.

The boot, iron and wheelbarrow drew the least support from fans, while the Scottie dog received the most support.

The new choice received mixed reviews from fans.

"What? The cat? I demand a recount!!!," Facebook user Dillon Lane posted on the Monopoly page.

But Facebook user Eve Conolly is happy. "Yay, down with ironing and hooray for kittens!," she posted on the Monopoly page.

More than 10 million people clicked the "like" button on the Facebook voting page for the token change.

The new token is expected to make its debut in mid- to late 2013. Until then, fans can still buy games with the old tokens.

Worried fans
Before the announcement, many were seriously sweating the outcome.

"I will never be able to buy another monopoly game again without the SHOE! I always get the shoe!" said Jennifer Simonson-Wehrle.

"IRON FOR LIFE!!!" said a post from Sarah Jane Stevens.

But Ali Muzaffar Khan had no love for the iron. "Scrap the IRON," he said, sporting a smiley face.

The wheelbarrow was taking its lumps too. "The wheelbarrow ALWAYS tips over," said Kristin Kramer. "That one could stand to be replaced."

MNNHFLTX
02-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Meh. I would have voted for the wheelbarrow. I usually got stuck with the iron when I was young, so I'm kind of nostalgic about it.

Doesn't cat look a little too cutesy, compared with the other tokens?

SBETigg
02-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Beth, I'm with you. The cat doesn't fit the look somehow. I would have ditched the thimble, maybe, but the thimble seems so iconic to the game. But then, they all do. I don't want to lose any tokens for a new cat. I like my Monopoly old school!

TinkerbellT421
02-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I'm excited with the Cat! I always was a "cat" person, though I do have both cats and dogs all my life, but as a kid I always used to complain about not having a Cat piece but yet there was a dog piece! I may have to go out and buy a new monopoly board just for the piece!:thumbsup:

IwannabeinNarnia
02-06-2013, 01:03 PM
still don't understand the need for a change.. if it ain't broke don't fix it...they could have left the 'original' monopoly alone.. and did a '2013 version' with all new tokens...sold both versions...

MNNHFLTX
02-06-2013, 02:45 PM
still don't understand the need for a change.. if it ain't broke don't fix it...they could have left the 'original' monopoly alone.. and did a '2013 version' with all new tokens...sold both versions...With all the different versions of monopoly out there they already kind of do this. I think they wanted to spark interest in the original version.

BTW, what versions of the game does everyone have? We have one of the original and a National Parks version that we often take with us on vacation when we visit one of the U.S. national parks (of course!)

SBETigg
02-06-2013, 05:22 PM
BTW, what versions of the game does everyone have? We have one of the original and a National Parks version that we often take with us on vacation when we visit one of the U.S. national parks (of course!)

I have an original, and a Maineopoly, from our second favorite reliable vacation spot. Do they have a Disney version?

TinkerbellT421
02-06-2013, 05:29 PM
I have an original, and a Maineopoly, from our second favorite reliable vacation spot. Do they have a Disney version?

Yes! :thumbsup: I've seen it at a local toy shop in the mall.

PirateLover
02-07-2013, 11:39 PM
Not a fan of the switch, so I guess we won't be purchasing any new versions of the "classic" game. That's OK, we really don't need anymore! We of course have the beaten up old original, and then a bunch of special editions. We have Simpsons, Scooby Doo, Mickey Mouse, Nintendo, and Peanuts. I was going to ask for the Muppet version one year but we already have so many versions that I figured enough was enough. I thought about buying one of those newer electronic banking versions since we always seem to have a banker that steals, but catching them in the act is half the fun. ;)

Tink#64
02-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Ooohhh! I'm a cat person so I do love the new cat! That being said - I'm also an "Ironer" (thanks alot Mom for that OCD quirck) so I'm always the iron when we play the classic version. So this change makes me a little nostalic & sad. :( Apparently ironing is out in today's times!