PDA

View Full Version : No More Saturday Mail!

Melanie
02-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Does this affect you? It really doesn't mean anything to our family, and packages WILL still be delivered. Seriously though, and I know it's a complex thing, and we won't get into politics here, but I wish the USPS would get straightened out.

From CNNMoney

Postal Service to end Saturday mail service Aug. 1

The U.S. Postal Service plans to stop delivering letters and other first-class mail on Saturdays beginning Aug. 1, although packages will continue to be delivered.

It will mark the an end of an era for the agency, which started Saturday delivery in 1863.

Tired of waiting for Congress to help, the Postal Service later Wednesday is expected to unveil a series of more drastic cuts they plan to pursue that will save them billions of dollars, a spokesperson for the service confirmed.

It's unclear at the moment whether the Postal Service has the authority to quit delivering letters on Saturdays. Previously, it has said it needs Congress to change current law to do so.
However, two sources confirmed for CNN that the plan includes an end to Saturday mail service except for package delivery, which has seen growth in the past few years.

The Postal Service has been borrowing billions of dollars from taxpayers to make up for shortfalls caused by a 2006 congressional mandate, under which it has to pre-fund healthcare benefits for future retirees. Technological advances have also led to a decline in first-class mail, which most consumers use to stay in touch and pay bills.

The situation turned particularly dire last year -- the agency twice defaulted on payments totaling $11 billion, and it exhausted a $15 billion line of credit from the U.S. Treasury.

The move to end Saturday service is only expected to save a few billion dollars, far less than the tens of billions the Postal Service needs.

In the past year, the service has cut hours at thousands of post offices -- some are open for only two hours a day. It has also merged some of its plants, which led to a 28,000 drop in its workforce through retirements and departures by employees who couldn't relocate or take up other postal jobs.

Postal officials have been calling on Congress to pass legislation to ease their fiscal pain. A top House Republican and Senate Democrat have said they worked together during the fiscal cliff talks in December, though no resolution was reached on how to save the Postal Service.

TinkerbellT421
02-06-2013, 09:45 AM
It bothers me a little bit because as someone who lives pay check to pay check. I can't fill out checks to pay some bills until Friday night, which means they mail on Saturday. With no Saturday mail now they won't be picked up till Monday, which means now I have to be paranoid about checks getting to the places they need to go on time. :/

Cheshire_Girl
02-06-2013, 09:47 AM
This does effect people close to me. I have 2 really good friends that work for the USPS. One Is a carrier, and the other a clerk. My carrier friend is going to lose income. She is a single mother with 3 kids and now she is going to have to get a 2nd job. They already cut her hours back earlier this year and now this...
I too wish they would get it together. The USPS is the second largest employer in the US.(Second only to WallyWorld) And no matter what your politics, I think we probably can all agree, the economy and the morale of our nation cannot afford to be losing jobs
:ill:

DizneyRox
02-06-2013, 10:24 AM
No impact... Small town, we have our own post office and only a few workers. They do it all, so while we may not get letters, etc on weekends, they will still be out and about, manning the store, making deliveries, etc.

Larger cities, etc will be the most impacted...

Goofster
02-06-2013, 10:38 AM
No impact for us. The only thing we get in the mail is junk mail and the occasional birthday card. All of our bills are paperless and we pay everything online.

Awesome_guy
02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Canada does not have Saturday mail delivery and, I think, has not for many many years. It's reported you will now enjoy up to 2 billion in savings. Up here, we are doing just fine.

As of yesterday, we've also stopped making our penny. Again, as a cost saving measure (not unlike having a $1 and $2 coin vs. bills).

The times, they are a changing!

I think it could be true that New Zealand is headed towards (or has gone to) 3 day/week mail delivery.

MNNHFLTX
02-06-2013, 11:04 AM
No impact for us either, although it will further cement the negative impression many people have of the USPS, including me. While our country moves forward with technological advances in communication, the postal service has not kept pace. Everyone keeps saying it needs a major overhaul, but maybe that can only be done if it's totally in the private sector (having to get congressional approval for certain things is certainly a drawback). And I do feel for employees of the postal service, having to live with all the uncertainty. :(

Itchy
02-06-2013, 11:08 AM
I hate to see it but it will not have a big impact on me as far as bill paying. I pay all of my bills on line except for my water bill. I just drive my water bill to our city finance office when they are open or drop it in the night depository.

I just hope it does not cause more employee's to lose their jobs. My younger brother was a postal employee for years.

Melanie
02-06-2013, 11:11 AM
As of yesterday, we've also stopped making our penny. Again, as a cost saving measure (not unlike having a $1 and $2 coin vs. bills).

That I would love as well, not to mention the $$$ it saves! Pennies aren't used on US military bases overseas, and it works just fine.

Belle of the Ball 051411
02-06-2013, 11:25 AM
No impact for us either, although it will further cement the negative impression many people have of the USPS, including me. While our country moves forward with technological advances in communication, the postal service has not kept pace. Everyone keeps saying it needs a major overhaul, but maybe that can only be done if it's totally in the private sector (having to get congressional approval for certain things is certainly a drawback). And I do feel for employees of the postal service, having to live with all the uncertainty. :(

This!

princessgirls
02-06-2013, 11:32 AM
The USPS is the biggest financial disaster going.
Just a drain.....

There has got to be a better more efficient way to run it.

I'm fine with no Saturday mail, and the carriers will just work a regular week M-F. Makes things easy!!!

Julie:mickey:

Dulcee
02-06-2013, 12:56 PM
No impact for us. The only thing we get in the mail is junk mail and the occasional birthday card. All of our bills are paperless and we pay everything online.

Ditto.

Hammer
02-06-2013, 01:07 PM
The problems with USPS have been around for decades.The postal system should have been revamped a long time ago, especially after the explosion of the internet.

This does not affect me, as like many here I get and pay the majority of my bills online. I feel for those who will lose their jobs, but this happens around the world as times change and there are advances in technology, regardless of a country's economic situation.

BrerGnat
02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
The USPS should be sold to the highest bidder. FedEx and UPS are my "go to" shipping companies because they do it better. The USPS is a dinosaur. I will see no impact from no Saturday delivery.

Dulcee
02-06-2013, 01:34 PM
The problems with USPS have been around for decades.The postal system should have been revamped a long time ago, especially after the explosion of the internet.

This does not affect me, as like many here I get and pay the majority of my bills online. I feel for those who will lose their jobs, but this happens around the world as times change and there are advances in technology, regardless of a country's economic situation.

Very true. While its hard for those who've worker their whole lives in the field the reality is every time you receive and pay a bill electronically you reduce your carbon footprint. Get your magazine electronically? Same thing. Its the reality of the way our world needs to go.

vicster
02-06-2013, 04:31 PM
No impact here. Our post office does such a ****** job anyway - it's a shame when you don't dare mail something for fear it won't arrive at it's destination. I hand deliver my property tax bill just to make sure it gets where it needs to go. Other bills are paid online. In December I had a package sit at our post office for 5 days before it was delivered (I tracked it). That's ****.

princessgirls
02-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I don't mean this to be a snippy comment, but I know a few postal workers who have TOLD me that they know their days are numbered. The old-timers will retire. Actually our mail carrier that delivers to my office, just announced he would be done in July. He has been with the USPS since 1969. 44 years, so he will be OK with his pension. OH, yeah...the pension...the new guys don't get that either.

They aren't hiring with benefits anymore. Part time workers. It's not just the postal service, the company I work for is doing it, the hospital my husband works for is doing it. I know I can be replaced for cheaper. I'm not under the illusion that it can't happen. I pray it doesn't...
Julie:mickey:

DonLefNY
02-07-2013, 01:49 PM
No impact for me. All my bills, incoming and outgoing are via the Internet now. I hardly ever write out a check.

Almost all mail we get is junk mail ads.

PirateLover
02-08-2013, 12:31 AM
The only think that would affect me would be packages, but not in a big way. I think that's huge for small businesses though. Many people still ship via USPS on eBay, etsy, Amazon secondary sellers, so losing another day to ship could really impact their business. Other than that we don't rely on regular mail for much. Get an occasional card, some statements, and my mom gifted us a subscription to TV Guide. :rant: Lately I've been wanting to put an X over my mail slot because after I donated to a particular charity for Sandy Relief efforts I am getting mail EVERY DAY for every charity under the sun. I know they sold my name because of how they spell my name. We are moving in a few months, guess I'm going to have to start saving all of these to contact them and get my name removed so the next resident doesn't get spammed. Sorry! :offtopic:

Hammer
02-08-2013, 07:48 AM
The only think that would affect me would be packages, but not in a big way. I think that's huge for small businesses though. Many people still ship via USPS on eBay, etsy, Amazon secondary sellers, so losing another day to ship could really impact their business.

Maryanne, packages will still be delivered on Saturdays. Only first class mail will stop being delivered.

kbean
02-08-2013, 09:01 AM
Don't believe the hype. Its Jus the PO bluffing Congress. I Work for the usps. Congress has to approve this. And the dems as of now aren't agreeing with no Saturday delivery.

The news pushes the internet as a major reason. That's not true. Internet has hurt a small percent. The down economy and businesses not mailing flyers and catalogs has a big impact. And the unions have a very big financial drain on usps because well.... its the union. Unions ruin businesses. Look at Detroit.
Plus we have to prefund our retirement and pay a few billion a yr. Only govt agency that has to do that. I think its 5.5 billion every Sept.

I agree with no sat delivery. Until economy picks up, the usps will Jus shuffle things around and down size what they can. Its a political game when it comes down to it.

Cheshire_Girl
02-08-2013, 09:12 AM
Don't believe the hype. Its Jus the PO bluffing Congress. I Work for the usps. Congress has to approve this. And the dems as of now aren't agreeing with no Saturday delivery..

Well I hope you're right. I would hate to see either of my friends, or any one else for that matter, out of a job.
USPS has been in bad shape for years, and it seems that congress has no desire to help fix the situation, instead imposing/passing laws to keep it limping along instead of letting it heal or just putting it out of its misery!!

I for one think it's a shame that more people don't send hand written letters...there is power in the written word. To see your friends/loved ones handwirtting and to know they sat with pen to paper to share their life with you...I remember getting letters from my Aunt as a kid-I loved opening them and seeing her handwritting-smelling the ink and the stationary she used.
In fact-I think I will sit down this weekend and write a letter to all of my dear friends. I hope others do the same-not just for the USPS, but for the sake of the words :D

diz_girl
02-08-2013, 11:39 AM
However, two sources confirmed for CNN that the plan includes an end to Saturday mail service except for package delivery, which has seen growth in the past few years.

The Postal Service has been borrowing billions of dollars from taxpayers to make up for shortfalls caused by a 2006 congressional mandate, under which it has to pre-fund healthcare benefits for future retirees. Technological advances have also led to a decline in first-class mail, which most consumers use to stay in touch and pay bills.

This is the crux of the problem. This 2006 law requires the Postal Service to pre-pay future retiree health benefits for the next 50-75 years, basically paying for people who haven't been hired or even born yet. No one else does that because it's stupid, but that's Congress. The USPS has to fund this over a ten year period and that is the main cause of their insolvency. They have to put into the fund between $5B to$8B per year and the $45B in the fund now makes the fund solvent for the next several decades.

As quoted, the USPS does have growth in package delivery, mainly because UPS and FEDEX are so expensive, so the USPS can be competitive. It's just that Congress ties their hands as to what services/products they can provide/sell, which is another hindrance that few other organizations have.

Rant over :rant:. Now coming off my :soapbox:.

cer
02-08-2013, 01:18 PM
No one else does that because it's stupid...

lol. :thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
02-08-2013, 05:22 PM
I for one think it's a shame that more people don't send hand written letters...there is power in the written word. To see your friends/loved ones handwirtting and to know they sat with pen to paper to share their life with you...I remember getting letters from my Aunt as a kid-I loved opening them and seeing her handwritting-smelling the ink and the stationary she used.
In fact-I think I will sit down this weekend and write a letter to all of my dear friends. I hope others do the same-not just for the USPS, but for the sake of the words :DI totally understand the sentiment, but I also see it the other way. Being so far away from friends and my siblings and their families, I love the fact that I keep in touch with people through email, texting, private messaging and Skype. It honestly makes me feel like their just down the road and not way across the country. Even better is how easy it is to manage finances with today's technology. Being able to pay bills online and transfer funds at the drop of a hat is a wonderful thing, especially with a kid in college. Yes, I sometimes miss that feeling of walking out to the mailbox and finding a handwritten letter inside, but I don't think I would trade that for all the modern conveniences available for keeping in touch today.

PirateLover
02-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Maryanne, packages will still be delivered on Saturdays. Only first class mail will stop being delivered.

Yes, sorry, misspoke (mistyped?). I meant that it would only affect me IF they stopped the packages, so I'm glad they didn't.

SBETigg
02-10-2013, 02:15 PM
I love to get mail. Is that weird? Checking the mail is such an exciting part of my day. Maybe because I work at home? It's something to look forward to? There's always the hope that a big fat check or package surprise is coming with the mail (which rarely happens, it's usually bills or junk, but...). I get giddy every time I see the mail deliverer. I'm a mail optimist. So cutting down on delivery does disappoint me a little, but at least it's only Saturday and I will manage. I'm pretty obsessive about checking my email inbox, too. :blush:

2Epcot
02-12-2013, 12:39 AM
I won't miss mail coming on Saturday. I've actually thought they should have stopped it about 10 years ago.

I pay about 95% of my bills online. I do like getting the packages, so I'm glad those will continue, but I won't miss Saturday delivery at all.

From what I've heard, the machines never stop, so while the mail won't be delivered, it is still be processed. For mail carriers, it will mean more work on Monday, and even worse when Monday is a holiday and carriers will have a lot of mail to catch up on.