PDA

View Full Version : The Americans

Melanie
02-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Anyone watching this new show on FX?

I watched the first episode, and definitely think I'll tune in for more. Already have it set up on the TiVo. The premise is really interesting for me.

It's good to see Keri Russell again, and boy is this a departure for her.

AgentC
02-06-2013, 07:40 AM
I haven't watched it yet but thanks for the reminder. I just set my DVR.

TinkerbellT421
02-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Haven't watched it yet. Will have to check later if I can catch it on Hulu or something. Thanks for the reminder to set the DVR! I had forgotten all about it till now. The commercials had me intrigued.

Butters
02-06-2013, 10:21 AM
The premiere was great... FX has some of the best original shows on TV now

DVC2004
02-06-2013, 10:24 AM
I caught it and will be watching again tonight. It's interesting so far. I like that FX has a variety of other types of programs aside from the lawyer- medical- police/CSI dramas. I really don't watch any of that. I do like Walking Dead, Madmen from AMC, and American Horror Story, etc. And of course my guilty pleasure Bravo shows like Real Housewives and Millionaire Matchmaker.

TheDuckRocks
02-06-2013, 12:12 PM
Glad to hear positive reviews. My DH had me record it and I was totally not sure it would anything I'd enjoy.

Belle of the Ball 051411
02-06-2013, 12:40 PM
I watched it last week and will be watching it again tonight. It has definitely caught my attention.

PirateLover
02-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm not sold yet. The first episode didn't really grab me like The Following did for example. I haven't started a thread on that because the content is pretty gruesome but then again this show is pretty mature as well. I've never been a Kerri Russel fan. She was on the short-lived comedy Running Wilde and was the weakest link by far. I will watch one more episode but if it doesn't wow me it won't be a big loss. Our DVR is getting way too full, especially with the Walking Dead returning soon and some other shows.

Melanie
02-06-2013, 01:58 PM
I've never been a Kerri Russel fan. She was on the short-lived comedy Running Wilde and was the weakest link by far.

I've never heard of that show, but I really can't see Keri doing comedy, so I'm not surprised she was weak. I loved, loved Felicity, so I've been a fan for a long time. Geez Maryanne, you were probably in single digits when that show was on. ;)

Belle of the Ball 051411
02-06-2013, 02:30 PM
I'm not sold yet. The first episode didn't really grab me like The Following did for example. I haven't started a thread on that because the content is pretty gruesome but then again this show is pretty mature as well. I've never been a Kerri Russel fan. She was on the short-lived comedy Running Wilde and was the weakest link by far. I will watch one more episode but if it doesn't wow me it won't be a big loss. Our DVR is getting way too full, especially with the Walking Dead returning soon and some other shows.

I've also been watching The Following. Pretty good show but yes, very gruesome. Some of these new shows have some pretty disturbing scenes. I think they could convey "the message" or what happened without actually showing some of the things they show. Like I said, some scenes were really disturbing and I had to look away because I felt so uncomfortable....

PirateLover
02-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I've never heard of that show, but I really can't see Keri doing comedy, so I'm not surprised she was weak. I loved, loved Felicity, so I've been a fan for a long time. Geez Maryanne, you were probably in single digits when that show was on. ;)

I'm not THAT young! Felicity was on when I was in High School... I never got into it but a lot of my friends did. Running Wilde was a vehicle for Will Arnett a few years ago. Very off beat arrested development type humor and they didn't give it much of a chance to get an audience. It's on Netflix.

Belle of the Ball, I definitely peek through my hands a lot during the gruesome parts. There is so much death in that show, I asked my hubby if anyone is ever going to escape these people! It's so macabre. but I love Kevin Bacon!

TheDuckRocks
02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
This one sure will get a second watching for us. I'm glad to see the actor from Brothers and Sisters back in something again.

MNNHFLTX
02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
I've never heard of that show, but I really can't see Keri doing comedy, so I'm not surprised she was weak. I loved, loved Felicity, so I've been a fan for a long time.Kerri Russell was more of the straight man (so to speak) on Running Wilde, and Will Arnett the comic. Personally, I think the show failed because the two of them had zero chemistry together (not like he has with Christina Applegate on Up All Night) and the writing was inconsistent. I tried to like that show but couldn't get into it.

The Americans is a much better venue for Kerri. I am really enjoying it so far.

JesGettingStarted
02-07-2013, 03:42 PM
I have watched the first two episodes and I am not sure I am going to keep tuning in. I love the other FX shows but this one for some reason isnt really grabbing me very much. My mom tried to tell me its because I didn't live it like she did! Pffft I'm not that young. I do like Keri Russel though and have loved her since Mickey Mouse Club.

PirateLover
02-15-2013, 12:24 PM
DH and I finally got around to watching episode two. 20 mins in we had to pause it so he could let the dog out, and when he came back I said I wasn't really feeling it. He said good because he wasn't either, so we are done with it. My brother and sister in law really seem to like it, though. Different strokes for different folks! Hope all of you who enjoy it get a good season :thumbsup:

DVC2004
02-22-2013, 10:37 AM
I've still been watching, waiting to see what happens, but I am not super into it. I will probably still watch just to see what develops, but if I miss an episode I won't lose sleep over it.

TheDuckRocks
02-22-2013, 10:58 AM
I've lost interest. My DH does watch though and I read.

NJDad
02-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Still watching, still enjoying.

It's been picked up for a second season.

And on March 1st they doing a marathon of the episodes aired so far.

TinkerbellT421
02-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Finally able to catch up this weekend, watched all four episodes that are out. I'm enjoying it, I will continue to watch for sure.

Melanie
02-24-2013, 05:56 PM
My husband caught up today as well, and is really liking it. I was busy today, but plan on watching them all this week.

NJDad
02-25-2013, 07:16 AM
I finally convinced the Mrs. to watch the pilot, and she's onboard.

She's always been good at picking shows that end up being hits, so it boded well for the Americans.

NJDad
03-08-2013, 05:54 AM
Several TV critics, including one from Entertainment Weekly, say the show has gotten better after its 'slightly uneven' start and is one of the best new shows on TV.

DVC2004
03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Still watching. This week's episode was good.

Belle of the Ball 051411
03-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Still watching. This week's episode was good.
This!

Melanie
03-08-2013, 03:35 PM
I've watched 4 episodes so far. I will find time this weekend to get totally caught up.

I keep wondering about the daughter finding out.