PDA

View Full Version : Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend - November 8-9, 2013

Melanie
02-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend -
November 8-9, 2013
:wine::chef:

All Events, November 9:
Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon - 10pm (through Epcot, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios)
Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K - 7am (through Animal Kingdom Park)

Registration as of 6/12/13:
Wine & Dine Half Marathon - SOLD OUT
Jingle Jungle 5K - 78%

Event Costs:
Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon
$175 by June 18, 2013
$190 between June 19 and August 13, 2013
$205 on or after August 14, 2013

Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K
$50 per participant
$55 per Stroller division participant

runDisney Kids' Races
$15 per Kids' Dash participant
$30 per One Mile Run participant

runFinish Line Party Tickets (after party at Epcot)
$74 by August 13, 2013
$84 between August 14 and October 29, 2013
$94 on or after October 30, 2013

Official Page here (http://www.rundisney.com/wine-and-dine-half-marathon/)

clausjo
02-05-2013, 03:02 PM
Woo Hoo! Thanks for this info! This was my first Disney race and my first half and I loved every minute of it! My daughter is going to do the 5K this year, which means I'll be doing the 5K in the am and the half at night (and spending a whole lot of $$$ to register!) Good thing we have Grandma to stay with!

Would love to have a meet up if anyone else is going!

NewDVCowner
02-13-2013, 11:33 AM
My sister has just talked me into doing this race to get our Coast to Coast. The only thing that is making me hesitate is the cost. I have two questions.

1.) Are there any discounts on room/tickets for runners? If so, any idea of how much?

2.) If I booked through Magical Journeys, which I've never used before, would they be able to get those discounts applied?

Thanks!

clausjo
02-18-2013, 01:40 PM
1.) Are there any discounts on room/tickets for runners? If so, any idea of how much?

I know there are discounts offered. I think once registration opens, there will be information on this.

I'm not sure about booking through MJ, but would suggest contacting them to find out.

Have fun! Maybe we'll see you there!

diz_girl
02-28-2013, 04:40 PM
We're going to be there that week, but leaving on the day of the running events. I'm considering the 5K, as I can be back at BLT by 9 a.m. and we just have to be at the Auto Train in Sanford at 2 p.m. Hmmm. I have to think about this, but I only have until March 12th to make my decision.

Christine
02-28-2013, 04:51 PM
The Wine and Dine half is a lot of fun! It's been my favorite of all so far.

As for a discount on the run, I don't know about MJ being able to discount your run- those seem to be more thru runDisney at registration with a code (DVC offers a code, usually about $10 off)

For room discount, they do offer a room and richer package, but I would definitely check with MJ to see if get can beat it first- they would know the best deal going!

NewDVCowner
03-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Registration day is getting close! Does anyone know what time the registration opens up? I signed up for a reminder email, but I want to make sure I'm ready. I think that when I signed up for the Disneyland Half the registration time was noon (Eastern), 9:00 (Pacific). Is it the same for this one?

Melanie
03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Registration day is getting close! Does anyone know what time the registration opens up? I signed up for a reminder email, but I want to make sure I'm ready. I think that when I signed up for the Disneyland Half the registration time was noon (Eastern), 9:00 (Pacific). Is it the same for this one?

I'm sure it's the same. So funny, no one has really ever worried about exactly what time registration has opened in the past, until the Disneyland Half craziness. ;) I certainly understand wanting to be ready, but with the higher capacity races at WDW, I don't think it's as much of a concern. Boy, I could certainly be wrong though! :blush:

NewDVCowner
03-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I feel a bit better hearing that. The first one that I registered for was the Disneyland Half so that's my only experence with these. I was thinking it was going to be a challange to get a spot.

Melanie
03-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Registration opens tomorrow at NOON (EST)! :wine: :chef: :walk:

clausjo
03-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Just got done registering! 5K for me, daughter (will be 11) and son ( will be 14) and the half for me. Will be a long day for me, but really looking forward to it!

NewDVCowner
03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
My sister and I both registered yesterday. There was some question if we'd be able to go because of finances but we made the commitment.

diz_girl
03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
I registered on Tuesday for me and DH to run the 5K. Now I just have to start training and lose some weight because I never have (and swear that I never will) run a race as a Clydesdale.

lettripp
03-16-2013, 10:27 PM
I had originally decided to do this next year... But after talking to friends about various half training schedule, I decided to prepare for this year! Registered Thursday! So excited!!

Melanie
03-20-2013, 12:28 PM
53% full as of today.

Diane_R
05-05-2013, 08:39 AM
The Wine & Dine will be my first half-marathon and my first big race at night. How do you adjust your training/ eating habits to run a night time race? Not so nervous about the distance, just the time of day.

badkitty
05-05-2013, 05:31 PM
The Wine & Dine will be my first half-marathon and my first big race at night. How do you adjust your training/ eating habits to run a night time race? Not so nervous about the distance, just the time of day.

Good for you!

I'm not an expert but I'm trying to add in night-time training at least once a week and plan to do a few of my long runs (over 10 miles) at night.

The ToT 10 miler last year was my first long night time race and I altered my eating habits to mimic a morning run. I stopped eating early in the day and only had easy to digest snacks in the evening. I chose to have my banana and half a bagel (what works for me for a morning run) about two hours before the race start. I also followed Jeff Galloway's suggestions for a hydration plan: Water or electrolyte beverage on night time "rehearsal" runs and fine tune to your needs.
Morning - 6-8oz every hour
Afternoon - 6oz every 2 hours (stopping or minimizing fluid intake about 2 hours before the run/race start)
4-6oz with each snack

The best advice I've receievd is to be sure to "practice" your race day eating plan and don't introduce anything new on race day. You don't want any surprises.

I hope this helps and others come along with what works for them. Happy training!

Melanie
05-15-2013, 07:19 AM
Wine & Dine Half Marathon is now sold out.

RedSoxFan
05-25-2013, 04:27 PM
I think we will be going to WDW 11/8--11/17. I hope to firm up plans this week with MJ. If we go, then Kourtney & I will run the Mickey Jingle Jungle 5K. That would be lots of fun.:mickey:

Christine
07-06-2013, 08:46 AM
I think we will be going to WDW 11/8--11/17. I hope to firm up plans this week with MJ. If we go, then Kourtney & I will run the Mickey Jingle Jungle 5K. That would be lots of fun.:mickey:

Lemme know if you do! :number1:

ls1jt
07-29-2013, 10:42 AM
My wife and I are registered for this one, staying at Pop.

Any chance for RunIcot shirts being made for runners? I'd love to rep Intercot during my run. Wasn't sure if you guys were only pushing for the Marathon or what.

We will be there Friday night through Monday Night. Should be an interesting night in Epcot after running 13 miles.....

Christine
07-31-2013, 01:01 PM
Wine & Dine was my favorite race experience! Have fun!!!

ls1jt
08-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Anyone know when they post the 2013 course map? or when they have posted them in the past? Thanks - just trying to see if it will actually go through Epcot this year...

Melanie
08-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Anyone know when they post the 2013 course map? or when they have posted them in the past? Thanks - just trying to see if it will actually go through Epcot this year...

Is there talk of them changing it up? It does seem strange that this race doesn't actually go through Epcot, but not sure how they'd do that with the after party.

ls1jt
08-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Last years map looks like it enters World Showcase, swung past Spaceship Earth and finished in the parking lot...

Wasn't sure if it would include that again or not

Melanie
08-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Yes, they changed it from the inaugural year. That one didn't even go through Epcot at all. But the racer back up was horrible trying to get into Epcot, so they had to change it.

ls1jt
08-23-2013, 02:07 PM
#RUNicot shirt just ordered for wine and dine! Anybody else gonna wear one during the race??

NewDVCowner
09-20-2013, 11:22 AM
Can anyone give me an idea of what the weather will be like for this weekend? I've never gone this time of year and I don't know what the night time temps will be like. Honestly, I'm more interested in finding out what the humidity is going to be like.

Thanks!

clausjo
09-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Last year it was around mid-60s at the start of the race with low humidity. It was perfect! I hope it will be the same this year!

NewDVCowner
09-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks! Living in Northern California I have very little experience with humidity. I didn't know if I could expect it to go down at night or not.

I hope it's cooler than the Disneyland Half. At 4:00 in the morning it was 78 degrees. Way too hot!

clausjo
10-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Has everyone gotten their corral assignments? I'm in J and am actually happy that I'm not further back. I've got a good cusion in case my knee/shin splint issues start acting up.

Only a few weeks now!

NewDVCowner
10-16-2013, 11:25 PM
I was just looking through the Wine and Dine packer and had a couple if questions I was hoping you all could help me with.

First, I ran the Disneyland Half in September and am going for the coast to coast- do I need to get that run time to them or do they have that information already?

Second, I'm staying at AKL but it's not listed as one of the 'host' resorts. How do I get to the star, and more importantly how do I get from the end/party back to the hotel when I'm done?

Thanks so much!

Christine
10-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Did you sign up as being coast to coast eligible?
When I picked up my race packet, they had a special armband that indicated I was coast to coast and that's how they knew I would get that medal.
I didn't have to enter my time- they know. :)

As for the host resort, hmmm that's a tricky one. Will you have a car?

Melanie
10-17-2013, 03:06 PM
I would think without a car, you'd have to rely on a cab. Logistics are tricky for the smaller races (although, are any of them really small anymore?) when you aren't at a 'event' hotel.

NewDVCowner
10-17-2013, 03:23 PM
I got in touch with the RunDisney people. They said that if we're not staying at a host hotel then we will need to take a cab. Will there be cabs available at three or four o'clock in the morning?

Melanie
10-17-2013, 04:15 PM
I got in touch with the RunDisney people. They said that if we're not staying at a host hotel then we will need to take a cab. Will there be cabs available at three or four o'clock in the morning?

I'm sure. You'd think they are aware of an event like this and the need for cabs. I'd for sure check with bell services when you check in to AKL though.

clausjo
10-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Does anyone know if spectators that have a ticket to the party can leave Epcot to go to the finish line and then go back into Epcot with the runners?

DizRunner
10-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Hi everyone!

I've been doing the January Marathon or Half Marathon every other year for the past 10 years. What I've noticed is that the parks are getting more and more crowded as the years go by.

On that weekend about 8 years ago, I was able to ride Soarin' four times in one day. Now in 2013 I only got to ride it once and that was with a FP because of the crowds.

I LOVE Soarin'. My thought is that next year rather than do the January Half, I'd sign up for the Wine and Dine mainly because of the post party. Then, I'm hoping, I'd be able to ride Soarin' multiple times.

For you who have done the Wine and Dine in the past, any thoughts on my plans? Are the crowds much less during this Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend than in January? And is Future World less crowded during the Post Party to ride Soarin'?

Also, I can't remember, is Mission Space and Test Track open during the Post Party?

Thanks!

badkitty
11-11-2013, 12:49 PM
I finished! Very slow and hit the wall at mile 10 (the garbage smell backstage at DHS almost did me in - ugh) but I made it.

I wasn't able to attend the after party because I had to catch a flight out at 7am so that I could get back to Sacramento. It sounded like a good plan at the time but I'm sorry I missed the party. The way to the entrance took quite some time so I decided not to risk it.

I liked the night race but I didn't get the nutrition part right. I need to work on that.

How did everyone else do? I hope you had a great run.

Tri Minnie
11-11-2013, 01:14 PM
I finished! Very slow and hit the wall at mile 10 (the garbage smell backstage at DHS almost did me in - ugh) but I made it.

I wasn't able to attend the after party because I had to catch a flight out at 7am so that I could get back to Sacramento. It sounded like a good plan at the time but I'm sorry I missed the party. The way to the entrance took quite some time so I decided not to risk it.

I liked the night race but I didn't get the nutrition part right. I need to work on that.

How did everyone else do? I hope you had a great run.

Congratulations! We were just talking about nutrition on the training thread. I think it is a really challenging thing to figure out for longer races. Would you do this race again?

badkitty
11-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Congratulations! We were just talking about nutrition on the training thread. I think it is a really challenging thing to figure out for longer races. Would you do this race again?

Thanks! I haven't had fuel issues for the morning halfs and I thought I had prepared by "practicing" during a few night runs at home but I still had problems. Even with that though, I liked running at night through the parks. (The long stretches on Oceola Pwy not so much.) I definitely would do it again!

clausjo
11-13-2013, 11:00 AM
I finished, but my time was not good. It was more humid than it was last year and I think that's what I struggled with. The garbage smells at Hollywood Studios backstage areas were bad. I wish they'd find a way to change the course so you didn't have to run past that.

Lots of people were vomiting after the course. Not pretty!

Congrats to everyone that did it!

Christine
11-13-2013, 01:19 PM
I finished, but my time was not good. It was more humid than it was last year and I think that's what I struggled with. The garbage smells at Hollywood Studios backstage areas were bad. I wish they'd find a way to change the course so you didn't have to run past that.

Lots of people were vomiting after the course. Not pretty!

Congrats to everyone that did it!

Congrats on your finish! I think it's really hard to get a PR on a Disney race. Congestion and staggering doesn't help. Humidity is everpresent. Good job!!

You're right about the vomiting. I think beer stands in the corral are to blame. Don't see that on other races and therefore don't see the excessive vomiting. I was working in the med tent and we were slammed- majority of folks seen- vommitting.
:ack: yuck.

Pirate Storm
11-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Christine you guys were great in the medical tent at the end of the race. I needed ice on a knee that I had surgery on this year and was taken care of quickly and professionally.:thumbsup:
I totally agree about the trash smells behind Hollywood Studios, that was brutal.:ack:
Another pet peeve was how many people were walking the first couple of miles yet were somehow in the C, D, E, and F corrals. I have no problem with someone walking the course but please do so out of the last corral, It was impossible to get into any kind of pace the first 3 or 4 miles.

Tri Minnie
11-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks! I haven't had fuel issues for the morning halfs and I thought I had prepared by "practicing" during a few night runs at home but I still had problems. Even with that though, I liked running at night through the parks. (The long stretches on Oceola Pwy not so much.) I definitely would do it again!

Thank you for the feedback. It sounds like a race I will need to try once my children are a little older!

Christine
11-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Christine you guys were great in the medical tent at the end of the race. I needed ice on a knee that I had surgery on this year and was taken care of quickly and professionally.:thumbsup:
I totally agree about the trash smells behind

Yay! So glad to hear that!! Hope your knee is all healed now!

lettripp
11-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Sorry I'm so late to join the party! I also finished, a bit slower than I expected but speed was not my goal. I thought it was an INCREDIBLE experience and now that my body has recovered, I'm ready for the next! Oddly enough, I didn't notice the garbage smell at all! The worst part for me was the on and off ramps. That sideways slant was brutal on my plantar fascitis... but other than that, it was smooth and fun. We didn't spend a ton of time at the after party, but did get on Soarin' with a 0 minute wait. I was shocked - took a picture of the wait time banner lol. We had a quick snack in the World Showcase but I really wanted to go back and sleep so I could enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Christine
11-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Congratulations Lauryn!! I agree on the ramps!!