PDA

View Full Version : Epcot

disney obsessed
02-05-2013, 08:04 AM
I walk in the house this am and boy meets world is on tv. They are in epcot. After getting over my rush of excitement to see it, I realize that it was shot prior to the installation of the picture monolithes. I like it so much better. I have never liked them and seeing it without them makes me not like them even more.

I like the sidewalk in front of the MK but that canyon area rubs me the wrong way. Anyone else feel this way?

Cheshire_Girl
02-05-2013, 08:36 AM
I hate those picture monoliths at Epcot..As you walk up to them, before you are close enough to see that they are pictures, it looks like some weird alien writting...It makes me feel like I will soon be bowing to some strange ant like overlord...I dislike them greatly!!!

EJS-Houston
02-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I hate those picture monoliths at Epcot..As you walk up to them, before you are close enough to see that they are pictures, it looks like some weird alien writting...It makes me feel like I will soon be bowing to some strange ant like overlord...I dislike them greatly!!!

I guess I'm in the minority, but I've always found them kind'a cool and intriguing.

DVC2004
02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Sorry, not me. We have a picture of our boys there from their first trip. Think it was 2002. Anyway, I love the fact that my boys are forever a part of WDW. We stop there every trip to point out the picture. They are teens now and I hope someday when they are adults, they can take their little ones to see our piece of WDW. I love the picture of them , it really captured how they were at 3 and 4.

Main Street Jim
02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
I like the sidewalk in front of the MK but that canyon area rubs me the wrong way. Not quite sure what you're referring to here? "Canyon area" in front of MK?

disney obsessed
02-06-2013, 08:35 AM
The sidewalk in front of the MK and around bay lake has the names of families and the like who have purchased a brick. The area in Epcot, in front of Spaceship earth, has the 'canyon' area. When I walk through there, I feel like i am being swallowed by the monolithes that carry the pictures of families who have purchased a photo spot.

I love the idea, just not how it is displayed.

kirbmajik
02-06-2013, 09:28 AM
We love the pictures, our whole family is on there, the kids at two different times in their lives. We love to find them every few trips.

Gator
02-06-2013, 11:46 AM
YES! Finally, poster coming to the defense of our family tiles. From the first time I walked into Epcot in 2002, I thought the monoliths were the coolest thing - like 2001: Space Odyssey or something. Two years later, my and my wife got are picture put on them. I love seeing it every time we go.

And I've seen the before pictures. Yes, it looks nice. But I like the monoliths better.

DonaldDuckUSA
02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I thought the monoliths were the coolest thing - like 2001: Space Odyssey or something.

This is the EXACT reason they make me smile. It was my dad's favorite movie and he was so excited about the monoliths. I've come to be excited about them for the same reason. :number1:

Monolith, representing advances in science and technology. Maybe I'm way off base, but it does trigger a great sense of symbolism in me.

SBETigg
02-06-2013, 02:27 PM
I'm with the OP, so much better without them. The MK tiles don't bother me, not a visual distraction from afar. But at Epcot, I think they're ugly and not at all appealing. They could have found a much better way to do something like that. Of course, I understand people who have a personal interest feeling differently about it.

kemps@wdw
02-06-2013, 09:39 PM
sorry, but no! We have 8 family pics on them since 2001. It was my DH's gift to me just before I had my breast cancer surgery and began my treatments. Ours and our then 8 yr old daughter's are side-by-side, and we love finding them and photographing them on each visit. My understanding is that they will all eventually be relocated, but for now, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE :cloud9: seeing them when we come down.

Melanie
02-07-2013, 06:51 AM
I love the idea, just not how it is displayed.

Good way of saying it. I wish they'd remove them like yesterday. I remember the area being nice and open.

They stopped selling the tiles years ago. I thought there was wording on the original contracts that stated they would only be around for a certain amount of time. Of course, we know how things change on a dime at WDW.

Main Street Jim
02-07-2013, 07:11 PM
They stopped selling the tiles years ago. I thought there was wording on the original contracts that stated they would only be around for a certain amount of time. Of course, we know how things change on a dime at WDW.*Twenty-five* years :/

The bricks on the walkway at Magic Kingdom are called "Walk Around the World". They stretch from the walkway at the shore of Seven Seas Lagoon in front of the Monorail station to the Magic Kingdom bus stops. And there are also a lot over at the Transportation and Ticket Center.

The "monoliths" at EPCOT are called "Leave a Legacy".

Just a bit of trivia, if you're into this sort of thing :)

Right out in front of Magic Kingdom (between Seven Seas Lagoon/Contemporary Resort launch dock/Ft. Wilderness resort launch dock) and the turnstiles is a Magic Kingdom "castle" logo on the pavement. In the "Walk Around the World" bricks around the logo, are Michael and Jane Eisner's brick, and Roy E. and Patty Disney's brick. Kinda cool to see :thumbsup:

texas211
02-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Amen. I'm glad i'm not the only one who things that. I always forget and think, "what is this alien thing, then. oh yeah..."

SandmanGStefani24
02-08-2013, 01:01 PM
I love the Monoliths, actually. They give a weird old/futuristic combo feel that adds to the massive Spaceship Earth behind them. Plus having driven racecars for years the path between them feels sort of like a straightaway leading into Epcot. I'm a bit of a nerd, though.
:pepe: