PDA

View Full Version : Return to Disneyland - "New" DCA and World of Color

Melanie
02-03-2013, 01:21 PM
Buena Vista Street, Carthay Circle Lunch and World of Color

So I had imposed a ban on myself from returning to Disneyland until all the construction was done at California Adventure. :D Seeing pics was enough for me. So when I last left, the entrance area was celebrating the sun, fun and free spirit of southern California, and the Golden Gate Bridge greeted you as you entered. Now (magically, I like to believe) 1920s Hollywood is the theme, and it’s well done indeed. Yes, there is a familiar feel at the entrance like I’ve seen this before (Hollywood Studios), and I admit I missed seeing the C A L I F O R N I A letters. But the old Hollywood feel is so well done, down to the buildings, the Streetmosphere, the musical entertainment, the character costumes and dining choices.

Quick word here on the Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café (aka Starbucks) – awesome place. I have no worries about what they’ll do in WDW. The café itself is huge, with a great selection of food and treats and all your good Starbucks offerings. We went 3 times and I wouldn’t have minded going every day. Well done!

We did the Carthay Circle Restaurant for lunch with the World of Color viewing package. Smart choice! While the service at Carthay Circle left a bit to be desired, we greatly enjoyed our meal and checking out the beautiful restaurant. Before lunch, we enjoyed drinks downstairs in the very nice bar area. After we ordered our lunch, I walked around and took pics of all the seating areas/rooms (which are named after places in early Disney history, like Buena Vista, Hyperion, Hollywood) and even got a small tour by a manager who had noticed I was taking pics. There are great pictures of Walt and family/friends all over the restaurant. Lunch was good (I had the Kobe beef sliders), but again, we wished the service would have been a little better. Our server acted very…indifferent. Oh, I must report that the bathrooms here are some of the best I’ve seen at a Disney park. Loved them! Like Carol and I discussed, after our podcast ‘best of bathrooms’, we feel Disney has really upped the quality of their new restrooms. Ha!

So with our Carthay Circle lunch package, we got great viewing for World of Color. Thank goodness I was with WoC experts, because we got there plenty early and secured a spot at the front of a railing. I had no issues seeing, and thank goodness my worry of those light up ears bothering me was a non-issue. Nobody had them! Seriously, they are too expensive and frankly kinda tacky looking, IMO.

The show itself – loved, loved it! So cool how they incorporate Mickey’s Fun Wheel and California Screamin’ into the show, and the projections on the water screens are so much more crisp and clear than Fantasmic! My favorite segments were probably UP, Pirates and Brave. I love how, just like Magic, Memories & You, the segments can be changed out to bring in more recent movies releases, etc.

Next Up: Some Disneyland Park thoughts

wildernesslady
02-03-2013, 07:31 PM
It is definitely time to head West. Thanks for sharing.

Dopey's Girl
02-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks Melanie. I think I need to get serious about saving for next year!

Lacy
02-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the report. I too kinda miss the big California letters but think everything else was done so well it is worth it. Also agree about Fiddler, fifer and practical - it was done great and I loved being able to get my Starbucks breakfast at Disney!

IwannabeinNarnia
02-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Oh how I want to go back to Disneyland... I loved World of Color.. unfortunately the night we saw it I was feeling rather bad (I'd been in the hospital a month before our trip and was still not fully recovered).. so I'd love to see it when I'm feeling better able to enjoy it.