PDA

View Full Version : Mini tablet

JoDisney
02-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Can you use a mini tablet with only wifi access (like the Kindle Fire HD)at the resorts and parks?

MickeysBestPal
02-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Can you use a mini tablet with only wifi access (like the Kindle Fire HD)at the resorts and parks?

Yes.

But, expect the WiFi connection to generally be "slow."

Dopey's Girl
02-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I used mine (Kindle Fire HD) in the resort last trip, but it was very weak and spotty...I wouldn't even bring it to the parks.

caryrae
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Is the wifi in the Parks bad?

DizneyRox
02-01-2013, 12:35 PM
WIfi is a shared resource and there are lots of people at WDW. I wouldn't expect much...

Dopey's Girl
02-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Yes...I almost always had to turn it off and just used my 3G coverage in the parks.

magicofdisney
02-01-2013, 01:39 PM
I had no problems with my tablet in the room. I think taking it to the parks is too cumbersome so I've never tried that.

Buttercup
02-01-2013, 01:49 PM
I was expecting the WiFi to be terrible as well, but when I was there for ICOT-15 in October, I was able to use it to Facetime with my husband & kids back home quite frequently from the parks & the hotel.

My sister was just there last week and she also Facetimed with me throughout the parks and resort and there were no issues. You would think using Facetime (similar to Skype) you would have a lot of problems with a slow connection but we didn't have any problems at all.

Maybe we just got lucky but I have been pleasantly surprised with the WiFi... and being from Canada, we rely on that because our 3G data plans don't work in the states unless we pay hefty roaming charges.

Polynesian Dweller
02-01-2013, 05:46 PM
We used it for 8 days in October and it was fine. And DizneyRox is right, it's a shared resource and if too many people are trying to use it concurrently then it will slow down. And the number of concurrent users is a fraction of cellular. So, if you go at a very heavy crowd time it will likely slow down more often. That's one reason why some people like us say it was fine and others will say it slow.

I was the manager responsible for setting up a 20 building hospital campus with 1500 people users and hundreds of pieces of connected equipment on a campus almost exactly the size of MK. There is no way around the fact that when capacity reaches about 50% of the rated concurrent users it will start to slow down. And that will vary throughout the day. It may be slow for 5 minutes and then fast again. That's just the nature of wifi in a high use environment.

The keys are to make sure you are logged in and be patient when it's slow.

dlpmikki
02-01-2013, 08:27 PM
I am in wdw at the moment. The WiFi in the parks has been far more reliable than at the resort (wilderness lodge). Now at Marriott and WiFi terrific.

Becca3557
02-03-2013, 02:09 PM
I do not bring my tablet to the park. Way too heavy for all-day touring (even the Mini!) IMHO. I do use it at our resort, but always bring my MIFI hotspot or use my iPhone as a hotspot. Especially in the evenings, the Disney WIFI can be very slow.