PDA

View Full Version : Car or bus to the Parks?

bethian
01-31-2013, 01:26 PM
We will be headed down in 23 MORE DAYS!!!:mickey::mickey: Since we will have our car, is there any real time or convenience advantage to either taking the disney busses from POP Century or driving our own vehicle to the parks?? In the past, we have almost always taken the bus, but wondered if anyone had experience that felt like car was the way to travel???:yeti: Can't wait!!!

Strmchsr
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
I know people who swear by both. Some people want to park it and never drive on property and others want the convenience of their own car in the parks. If you open and/or close the parks your own car might be better. Buses can be very crowded (standing room only) at park opening and closing. Otherwise the buses are very nice. You don't have to worry about getting lost or traffic or gas or anything else. We like to have our car for any off-resort activities but in general will take the bus for on-resort. I've found my car to be most useful at DAK and Epcot. At DHS and MK, especially, it's MUCH easier to take the bus as you are brought much closer to the entrance.

ANG
01-31-2013, 01:50 PM
Since we travel with kids, we do both. We drive to HS, AK, and DD since the parking lots are smaller (IMO). We never drive to MK or Epcot.

But we also only stay at monorail resorts or resorts within boat/walking distance to a park. If we were staying at POP, I'd do both.

Quadstriker
01-31-2013, 01:58 PM
If you have your car, use it.

CanadianWDWFan
01-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Since we usually drive to WDW, we always have a car. Therefore we drive everywhere, EXCEPT to MK. Bus service at MK is simply much more efficient than getting back to your car.

Long story short, it took us over 2 hours to get back to our car one summer night after closing, we vowed to never again drive to MK. That night the monorail and the ferry were running at capacity but failed to make a dent in the crowds leaving the park.

AgentC
01-31-2013, 02:02 PM
I don't mind the bus but I prefer to take my car. Since I am just ending the children with strollers phase I find it much easier. Even without the kids, I still prefer the car because don't have to wait in line for a bus. :)

My only exception is Magic Kingdom. Since the buses drop you off up front, it is easier than taking the ferry or the monorail over. However if the ferry and monorails are a must do for your family, driving is not a bad choice.

buzznwoodysmom
01-31-2013, 02:07 PM
We always have our car, but we usually park it and leave it till we go home. The only place we drive to is DTD. We much prefer use the buses to go to the parks than deal with driving, parking, and trams.

mechanic
01-31-2013, 06:22 PM
We are bus people, except to dtd. Lots pf strong opinions on both sides so you should really try both.

Buttercup
01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
We always drive to the parks. No waiting around - we don't even use the parking lot trams. We just walk to our cars. The parking lots actually aren't that big when you remember where your car is! Best part? We don't have to carry our stroller into a jammed bus, or carry sleeping children on a bus at night.

MargaretMessler
01-31-2013, 08:31 PM
I prefer to drive, but MK is the one park which makes me consider the buses. We only bus if the situation warrants it - i.e. a night when we're planning late night drinks and SHOULDN'T drive, or when we want to go from one park directly to another (I just find it faster to drive).

A personal choice really. I can't deal with feeling like a sardine, which is kind of what happens on buses at closing. I can deal with being in a crowd all day, but not on the bus.

Crow
01-31-2013, 08:35 PM
i used the bus. esp since i :beer::marg:at epcot. my friend rents a car. this time we are traveling together, first time and will use buses

LVT
02-01-2013, 06:58 AM
We only drive to waterparks or off-property to target.

c&d
02-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Car pretty much stays parked the entire time. I really just want to sit back and enjoy the vacation. We will take the car to DTD, for some reason those buses always seem to take forever.

SandmanGStefani24
02-02-2013, 01:01 PM
the buses are ok, and a nice free service, but one 2 hour long, hot tired wait to go home from MK did it for me. When I want to go to the parks, I don't want to wait at an uncovered bus stop in the heat. And when I want to go home, I don't want to wait an hour plus when I am tired and want a nice cool shower and food. I will always drive, because I want to go on my terms. I'm on vacation, right?

Do the car, you won't regret it!
:sam:

Kenny1113
02-02-2013, 08:17 PM
We do both it usually just depends on our mood. But We always bus it to MK. We usually bus it when we Hit DTD at night as the parking lot is usually full. Otherwise we do either one.

hauntedmansiongirl
02-02-2013, 11:24 PM
We drive 22 hours to get to the WDW, so by the time we get there, we are ready to get out of the car. Unless we're staying at POR, we take the car to Downtown Disney (POR has a nice boat ride there). And we always drive to the waterparks as well. It's just easier. We are prepared that there will be a wait for the bus and never think that we'll get a seat on the bus- so we are already in that mindset. One day we'll stay at a monorail resort!

Oh, I guess I should mention that there is one time that we drive to the parks- when we have dining reservations far from the park that we're at and we don't want to be late by doing bus transfers.

Have a great time! :mickey:

JRocker
02-03-2013, 07:17 AM
For us, it is a mood thing.
It is typically more efficient to take the bus (yes, there is data to back that statement up), however it is sometimes more convenient to take the car (no data, sorry).

If we intend on breaking out and going offsite for food, we will take the car because that saves time. If we are closing the park, we take the car, because park closing bus transportation is the worse.
Otherwise, we usually take the bus, it saves us gas money, it's more environmentally responsible, and I can nap on the trip.

kakn7294
02-03-2013, 08:42 AM
We're in the "let Disney do the driving" camp. After we drive 1004 miles to get there, we don't want to drive all week long too. I'm sure it's usually a time-saver everywhere except the Magic Kingdom but I just don't want to be bothered.

CuteAsMinnie
02-03-2013, 09:41 AM
It it so nice to be able to park your car and not have to worry about getting back in it again for and entire week (or so).

The only place I WOULD drive to would be the water parks or DTD. Seems like no matter where you stay, transportation to/from,these destinations always seem to take the better part of forever.

Whichever you choose, enjoy!:mickey:

Itchy
02-03-2013, 09:43 AM
We always take the bus. I would not want to go to the parking lot to a steaming hot car after being in the park all day. Getting into a nice cool bus is a plus even though I may have to wait a while. As for having a seat, if there is one avalible I will take it. If there is a lady or someone with a small child I will give up my seat in a heart beat.

As said by a previous poster after a long drive and mine is about 17 hrs the last thing I want to do is sit in my car until I must do so.

Dopey's Girl
02-03-2013, 11:04 AM
I bus to MK, because that parking situation is a hot mess. Generally speaking, I bus to Epcot too because I like me a :beer: or :marg: or two. I drive everywhere else!

gottaluvtink
02-05-2013, 11:14 AM
BUS! I have a much greater appreciation for the buses since I took a trip with friends who insisted on driving to the parks. Paying to park, long walks, longer monorail or boat lines, poor navigating, just overall pain in the butt. The buses are easy and some can be very fun! Never again will I drive or ride in a car. Love me some Disney Buses! :mickey:

caryrae
02-05-2013, 12:10 PM
We always drive ourselves because you never know how long you may need to wait for a bus. Plus if the bus is crowded after a long day walking and standing in lines I would hate to have to stand on the bus.

Paying to park,
Well obviously if you are staying at a Disney Resort the parking is free.