PDA

View Full Version : Everest?

DizMagic
01-30-2013, 10:45 AM
My youngest daughter, 9, and I were talking last night about whether we should try Everest on our next trip. DH and DD, age 12, love it and DD, 12's, favorite is Rock 'n' Roller coaster -- and so youngest daughter and I are not sure that we can trust them to be honest with us about Everest because they LOVE all roller coasters. I love Thunder Mtn Railroad, especially at night, and we usually try to ride it several times. I love Soarin, Test Track and most other rides, but I don't like big drops on roller coasters. I nearly had a heart attack on Tower of Terror...so, do you think I will like Everest? How rough is it?:confused:

SBETigg
01-30-2013, 10:51 AM
It's like Thunder Mountain taken up a notch or two. Except, it's actually a pretty smooth ride, smoother than Thunder Mountain, and you feel very secure in the ride vehicle, decent restraint system. It's a bit more thrilling than Thunder Mountain, though, faster, bigger drops. There's one big drop backwards and one steep drop forward. If the steep drops bother you, this one might not be for you. Though, it's over before you know it and really cool to see at least once.

If you can manage getting on it, I think you will like it. The biggest drop looks much more significant from off the ride than on it. On the ride, it doesn't seem steep and, as I said, over before you know it. If you can manage Splash Mountain or Tower of Terror or Rock n Roller Coaster, I don't think you will have any issues with Everest.

BrerGnat
01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
I will be honest with you. It will leave you with shaking knees.

I love coasters too. I do them all. However, as I've gotten older (and I'm only in my early 30's), my ability to tolerate thrill rides is sadly decreasing. :(

I have ridden some of the most extreme coasters out there, and the last time I rode Everest, I was a bit shaken at the end. It was more intense than I'd remembered. I still LOVE it, and that feeling of shakiness is rather enjoyable to me, but I feel you deserve to know what you're getting into. On another note, it's dark and quite loud, so that adds to the thrill factor.

For some reason, Everest feels a lot faster than it is. The drops are really nothing major (compared to some doozies I've experienced...), but the one big one does give you that stomach drop feeling.

It is a fun ride for sure, but you need to work up to it.

Can you handle Splash Mountain? The drop on Everest is comparable to that.

IMO, you should work up to Everest like this:

-Big Thunder
-Space Mountain
-Splash Mountain
-Mission Space
-Rock and Roller Coaster
-Everest

Tower of Terror is kinda irrelevant here. Coasters and free fall drop rides don't share many of the same properties. It's a different kind of drop, and total vertical g forces feel much different than lateral ones.

mechanic
01-30-2013, 11:38 AM
I like your progressive list, but...
mission space? Just a simulation. I rode it and would put at top of beginning list.
I don't like coasters, except big thunder is one of my favorite rides. (I Don't know why).
Hated space mountain.
Haven't ridden any of other coasters except barnstormer. (Very jerky)
I don't mind drops so much, but I don't like corkscrews, darkness, or tall open framework.
Funny how certain characteristics affect people differently.

BrerGnat
01-30-2013, 12:01 PM
Mission Space for the G forces. I'm talking Orange side here, not Green. It's fairly intense. If this ride doesn't phase you, you're in good shape for more thrilling stuff.

MOJoe
01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Will you like Everest? That's hard to say. I for one hate big drops. Tower of Terror? I shiver just thinking about it. Big roller coasters like those at Six Flags? Forget it. I pass.

But Everest? Love it. If i get the chance, i'll ride it 5 times in a row. Sure it has a couple of "leave your stomach behind" drops. But nothing frightening. Most people get off the ride feeling exhilarated, not terrified.

So get your nerve up and try it. If it's not for you, then at least you can say, "been there done that." :yeti:

BelleBeauty
01-30-2013, 12:23 PM
I would say give it a try! I am not a big fan of roller coasters (I really will only ride them at Disney). Everest is a smoother ride than BTM. It is similar but does have a little bit more thrill.

1. The ride queue is FANTASTIC and totally worth scaring yourself a little to see. It is so incredibly detailed.
2. The car for the ride feels very secure
3. There is a very steep climb up that can be a little disconcerting if you are afraid of heights. But on the other side, it is an amazing view of the park and nearby Disney attractions that you can't get elsewhere.
4. I was scared of the backwards part but really in the end it is so fast you barely notice what is happening. And it is very evident when it is going to happen, so you won't be startled.
5. There is a very steep drop, but again it is very quick and if you can keep your eyes open you have a great view!

The ride may make you feel a little jarred (they all do for me now and I'm only 29) but it is well worth the Disney magic they incorporate.

Kenny1113
01-30-2013, 12:35 PM
I love Everest!!! I wouldnt clasify myself in the rollercoaster lover either. I will agree with that "shaky" feeling afterward (prob the adrenaline surge) ;)
I love the lateral Gs that are felt on this ride. I rode Kraken at Seaworld for the first time this weekend and while it was fun I enjoy Everest a lot more.

DizneyRox
01-30-2013, 01:29 PM
There are only two "bad" parts to Everest. The drop you see outside, and the helix that you do in reverse in the dark. It's too bad much of the ride doesn't work anymore. It could be the best ride on property, but has been left to deteriorate into just an ordinary roller coaster.

MS Orange is probably the most intense ride at WDW, and I'd follow that by RnRC and then Everest.

Very smooth... And I agree, ToT and a roller coaster don't share very much.

mechanic
01-30-2013, 06:05 PM
I'm throwing out a challenge to disney.
Fix yeti and I will ride!

Not they really care....

JohnnyNovo
01-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Hint: If you do decide to ride it, ride towards the front. The front part of the train is 1/3rd of the way down the hill before it picks up speed. This will make the "drops" easier to handle.

DizneyRox
01-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Hint: If you do decide to ride it, ride towards the front. The front part of the train is 1/3rd of the way down the hill before it picks up speed. This will make the "drops" easier to handle.Except the backwards helix part, then you're in the back, and in for the ride of your life!

EJS-Houston
01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
I agree with many of the responders here. At 53, I find my eagerness to do Six-Flags-like thrill coasters has severely decreased...however, Everest still remains a favorite. Throughout you really do feel secure in the car, and the scary part of the ride, I find, is in the anticipation of the drop, not so much in the actual drop itself. If Mission Space and Rock'n'Roller Coaster don't faze you, Everest will be fine. I'd say, give it a go!

DonaldDuckUSA
01-31-2013, 11:04 PM
I agree with everyone who talked about the drop not being too bad. Honestly, it looks so much worse than it really is. I actually forgot it had a drop until I read this post.

I second what the poster said about the helix in the dark being the worst part. I think its because I have no sense of which direction I'm facing and it makes me a little dizzy and green. But it doesn't last too long and when its over I'm back on track.

It's not a ride I can do back to back like I can other coasters, but I would never miss it. I think its worth a shot. If its terrifying you then you know to avoid it from here on out. But if you love it, you'll know to do it again! :-)

mechanic
01-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Does it actually go upside down?

Kenny1113
02-01-2013, 08:19 AM

No

BrerGnat
02-01-2013, 08:20 AM

No.

K8screen
02-01-2013, 08:27 AM
If you are worried about it being ROUGH, it isnt. Its a lovely smooth ride, just a bit fast in parts. IMHO the ROUGHEST ride in WDW, or any of the Orlando area parks, or in fact any park I have ever been in anywhere, is Space Mountain. We hadnt been for a few years, DBF doesnt like coasters so I had 2 FPs for Space Mountain, and I finished up giving one away as the first ride was so unpleasant. I remember it being A BIT rough years ago, but I am sure it has got worse and I had the bruises to prove it.

RavsRuleDisney!
02-01-2013, 10:16 AM
First off, I say just go for it. Nothing will happen to you other than A)it wasn't as bad as you thought, you had fun and race back on line again or B)it is an overwhelming experience, you curse the (non operational) Yeti and exit the ride woozy but still in one piece.

I have always enjoyed the thrill of the coaster but also don't enjoy the issue of my motion sickness. That said I have ridden Everest multiple times. The two parts that are tuff for me is the 20 seconds of backward coastering and the last section of a combo of speed/plummetting. The ride is not herky jerky but very smooth and my 2 DS' - 13 and 10 now - have been jumping on and off this thing for several trips now.

Take a deep breath, make sure your daughter holds your hand for support ;) and goooo!!
:coaster:

Janmac
02-01-2013, 03:40 PM
First off, I say just go for it. Nothing will happen to you other than A)it wasn't as bad as you thought, you had fun and race back on line again or B)it is an overwhelming experience, you curse the (non operational) Yeti and exit the ride woozy but still in one piece.

Take a deep breath, make sure your daughter holds your hand for support ;) and goooo!!
:coaster:

I agree.

First time on Everest I figured - what can happen, along the lines of A and B above. I have ridden it more than once but actually, C is my choice - I can take it or leave it.

I don't do drops at all - ToT is out of the question. Splash Mtn is too much drop for me - only been on it once. Thunder Mtn and Space Mtn are fine, drop wise, tho Space is getting too jerky. Everest - for me - is between Splash and Thunder Mtn. Don't mind riding it, but it's not a must do.

R'n'R is actually easier for me than Thunder Mtn.

Jan

ginger19
02-07-2013, 07:26 AM
The drops on Everest don't get me but the backwards part does. I love the ride and so do my children who are 7 and 9. The biggest thing for me on that ride is to have some sugar before I get on. Adrenaline definitely affects me and sugar beforehand helps with shakiness afterwards. I would definitely recommend trying it at least once!

tjstrike
02-07-2013, 09:27 AM
Will you like Everest? That's hard to say. I for one hate big drops. Tower of Terror? I shiver just thinking about it. Big roller coasters like those at Six Flags? Forget it. I pass.

But Everest? Love it. If i get the chance, i'll ride it 5 times in a row. Sure it has a couple of "leave your stomach behind" drops. But nothing frightening. Most people get off the ride feeling exhilarated, not terrified.

So get your nerve up and try it. If it's not for you, then at least you can say, "been there done that." :yeti:

I think this would have been my words exactly. You'll never know if you don't try it.

WhiteRose1
02-07-2013, 09:48 AM
I have a mild inner-ear imbalance. (On a bad day, the world keeps spinning, but those bad days happen like once every few years.) On a 'normal' day I have to avoid reading for a long time in cars, but besides that I'm fine. I also do not enjoy riding backwards on a train or bus.

Because of this I avoid upside-down stuff, backwards stuff and rides that spin you just in a circle stuff.

My Hubby convinced me to go on Everest and I was worried it was going to RUIN not only that morning, but the rest of the trip.

Guess what...I rode it, felt reaally uncomfortable during the backwards parts (the drops) but besides that, about 10 minutes later I was fine. no long lasting Vertigo or motion sickness! My hubby still teases me, because apparently during the backwards part I yelled "IIII Dooooon't Liiiikkke Thhiiiiiisss!"

I'm not going to do it again....sigh...unless he gives me puppydog eyes.

Gator
02-07-2013, 08:42 PM
C'mon, don't be a baby. Get on that ride and enjoy it. My 7yo and 5yo (who just made the 44 inch mark when we went) rode it 6 times in one day. If they can do it, you can do it.

roma1625
02-08-2013, 09:37 AM
EE has a big drop going backwards. It has a different feeling than a drop going forwards, but just be forewarned.