PDA

View Full Version : everyone says dining has gone down

Crow
01-27-2013, 12:53 AM
do you agree...and do you think any places are still great or improved

DizneyRox
01-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Yes, I agree...

And, no... No places that accept DDP are great or have improved... It's financially not possible to do that within the confines of the program.

BrerGnat
01-27-2013, 09:21 AM
I agree too. Food at WDW is kinda gross these days. I think the main problem is a combination of too much volume and cost cutting.

Disneyland Resort has WAY better food overall. There is more focus on using quality, fresh ingredients. It doesn't have that mass produced feel to it.

I am sad to see so many of the WDW restaurants serve, essentially, the same menu.

Hammer
01-27-2013, 09:45 AM
I agree too. Food at WDW is kinda gross these days. I think the main problem is a combination of too much volume and cost cutting.

Disneyland Resort has WAY better food overall. There is more focus on using quality, fresh ingredients. It doesn't have that mass produced feel to it.

I am sad to see so many of the WDW restaurants serve, essentially, the same menu.

Let's remember that Disneyland has far fewer dining establishments, especially table service restaurants. It is not really a fair comparison. You almost have to eat a lot counter service when there, which doesn't interest me. I have multiple choices to do that in the basement of my office building.
That said, I am not crazy about the all day menus they have started at some places at WDW. I am able to enjoy some good meals, but that is primarily at resort or signature restaurants, which still gives me a decent amount of choice. But I am less than pleased with most park restaurants. The few character meals that I've gone to were less than stellar, to say the least. I still have park restaurants to try, though, and I go every year. Plan is try Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch and Tokyo Dining next trip.

Crow
01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
I do like Tokyo Dining and go every trip. the service is great.

TinkerbellT421
01-27-2013, 11:35 AM
I believe some restaurants have gone down in quality, I also believes some places are over rated or under rated. I go based on my own experiences and opinions because I find it all depends on the person, all restaurants have mixed reviews. I have eaten at restaurants locally at home that are ten times worse than any bad experience I had at disney. Now, I'm not saying some restaurants at disney aren't bad, because some have been, just awfully bad, but I find it unfair if I were to group all or most into that category because I still have and have had great meals on property. and will continue to enjoy some or most. Now, counter service venues? Most are just the same as everywhere else, your local Burger King or McDonald's, the same tasteless burgers mass served. Very few counter services are to my taste.

DonaldDuckUSA
01-27-2013, 01:02 PM
Hollywood Studios is the worst offender. DBF and I have found that we have one or two places in the other parks where we can have a good meal for a reasonable price.

Now, we have never been to Starring Rolls or Hollywood and the Vine, but everything else we have had (other than Prime Time) has been HORRIBLE. I don't just mean okay food. I mean disappointing menu items and food that literally made us sick. And it's the only place in WDW where I feel like I'm being robbed. Its the only time (during my entire stay at WDW) where I cannot justify what I pay for what I get.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox.

1DisneyNut
01-27-2013, 01:13 PM
I completely agree. Compared to 10 years ago, dining at WDW has gone down the tubes. We had a few places we really liked but now on our last trip we finally had to strike our last favorite off of the list. We go off site for our nice table service dinners now.

In my opinion, the biggest problem with the dining is the Disney Dining Plan. Due to its structure and so many people using it, it actually encourages the restaurants to take short cuts, drop nicer or more complicated to prepare items off of the list and definitely drop low profit items. The thing that they have done due to the dining plan that irritates me the most is changing menus to these "family style" selections where you pick a meat and they bring you standard accompaniments for everyone to share or something of that nature.

hauntedmansiongirl
01-27-2013, 01:22 PM
I think that the food has gone down a bit in recent years, but compared to the food that we get on other vacations (eg. all-inclusives) it is amazing. We can always find something that we like and have rarely hated a meal.

We live for our vacations (we have no kids) and the food at Disney is a highlight for us- not the only draw by any means, but we enjoy being spoiled. Only a cruise ship bypasses the food at Disney, from our experience anyway.

Have a great weekend!! :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
01-27-2013, 01:48 PM
I still really enjoy most of our dining experiences at DIsney, but there is not a doubt in my mind that the overall quality of the experiences is being impacted by the dining plans they are offering - especially when it comes free. With so many people dining for free or with the plans, the restaurants are almost always full - or at least it seems that way. And they aren't necessarily full because of the quality, but because there's an "opening" at that restaurant to eat. I think it's led to some poorer experiences at times. Rarely is the experience terrible, but some nights can be less magical.

SBETigg
01-27-2013, 01:51 PM
In general, yes, I think there has been a decline in quality and variety since the DDP. But, I think you can still find lots of options and good food.

DisneyGiant
01-27-2013, 02:55 PM
I still really enjoy most of our dining experiences at DIsney, but there is not a doubt in my mind that the overall quality of the experiences is being impacted by the dining plans they are offering - especially when it comes free. With so many people dining for free or with the plans, the restaurants are almost always full - or at least it seems that way. And they aren't necessarily full because of the quality, but because there's an "opening" at that restaurant to eat. I think it's led to some poorer experiences at times. Rarely is the experience terrible, but some nights can be less magical.

My thoughts exactly. We used to look forward to some of the restaurants more than the attractions themselves - but not any more. We still eat exclusively on property - but it's not the superior dining it once was. IMHO :mickey:

VWL Mom
01-27-2013, 03:15 PM
I am able to enjoy some good meals, but that is primarily at resort or signature restaurants, which still gives me a decent amount of choice. But I am less than pleased with most park restaurants.

In general, yes, I think there has been a decline in quality and variety since the DDP. But, I think you can still find lots of options and good food.

:ditto: to both.

EeyoresBestFriend
01-27-2013, 04:31 PM
We still find alot of wonderful dining experiences and food.

Since they seem to changing the menu in some places every couple of years ( ie. Raglan Road, Brown Derby, San Angel on our last trip), some of our favourites shift. Most of the time, we find new menu items that are good. If we don't, we'll try them again in a couple of years when they change again. :thumbsup:

Gator
01-27-2013, 07:08 PM
I completely DISagree - and apparently with most people on this board. I honestly get tired of hearing how the DDP has killed Disney dining. It hasn't. The food is just as good now as it was in my first two trips. I enjoy all of the places to eat, and the snack places are still great, too.

This last trip, I loved Le Cellier, LTT, Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's, Tony's, Akershus (always great), H&V (continues to improve), Sassagoula, and the Tusker House. The only place that wasn't great was SciFi Diner, and that place wasn't good 10 years ago on my first trip, so no change there. And I found the Disneyland comment laughable. WDW has FAR better choices of food than Anaheim. FAR!!

NJGIRL
01-27-2013, 10:25 PM
I really don't feel that way. I really don't like LeCellier or Tony's. I think Mama Melrose is just Ok but I have liked every where else we have ever gone. On our last trip in Oct I especially liked La Hacienda, Yak & Yeti and Via Napoli.

Dining in the early 90's at Disney, now that was bad!

The one thing I do wish Disney would do at the table service restaurants would be to have half portions. We like eating smaller meals and hate wasting so much food so we usually end up over eating.

NJGIRL
01-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Plan is try Liberty Tree Tavern for lunch.

We eat at the Liberty Tree for lunch all of the time and love it.

WDWgoofy
02-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Having just returned, I thought the food quality and choices were the best ever offered at WDW.

Meals at Columbia Harbour House, Norway counter-service, Flametree BBQ were all excellent.

The only disappointment was Tutto Italia

Crow
02-09-2013, 08:54 PM
i just got back also and had all good meals. im gonna post some quick reviews

ANG
02-10-2013, 08:23 AM

I completely agree! Dining is still a nice treat for us. There has only been a few restaurants at Disney that I will never return. And mostly because it wasn't that exciting, not because the food made me sick or I hated it. They just weren't for me.

Mrs Bus Driver
02-10-2013, 09:36 AM
In my few trips I found many restaurants that I liked and even some counter service. IMHO its a matter of perspective. Take me for example (and please don't think I am picking on anyone, not my intention). I am a person who because of finances doesn't eat out much. Denny's is where I usually go (breakfast is always good)because that is what I can afford. When I go to the world I splurge, they may not be 5 star restaurants but they seem pretty good to me. Are there places I don't like, sure the German restaurant in EPOCT comes to mind. I found out I don't like smorgasbords, the tables remind me of picnic tables and don't like the show. Don't hate me I know some really like it. I like Ohana's, many don't. As for counter service you don't have to eat hamburgers, I was pleasantly surprised to find flame tree BBQ. I remember in MK getting half a grilled chicken with vegetables for lunch and it was good. I don't want anyone thinking that I am saying there opinion doesn't matter. I wouldn't eat at the same place twice if the food was bad. So go eat where the food is good, hopefully if enough people do this things will change and we will all benefit from it. :mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
02-10-2013, 02:39 PM
gotta back my fave, Tokyo Dining here. They have always been consistently amazing. It is so quiet and pleasant. The service is amazing, the food is great, and the place is always very clean. I eat here every trip.

I also had a great experience at Tangerine Cafe. It is harder to make someone feel welcome at a CS, but I felt very welcome and as if they were grateful I stopped by. The eating area was very clean and the food, again was great.

Rose & Crown was also a winner!

Mickey'sGirl
02-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Tokyo Dining is one of the best experiences I have had anywhere. :thumbsup:

I don't think that the Dining Plan has lowered the quality at the restaurants ... but I don't think it has raised the bar either.

I think Disney Dining is fine for what it is. Sometimes it is stellar, but usually it is simply just fine. You don't go to Sci-Fi looking for steak, and you don't got to Chef Mickey's for haute cuisine. You do go to Tokyo Dining for sushi, and the Flying Fish for seafood.

Dulcee
02-11-2013, 11:55 AM
I'd consider myself a foodie. I cook, I like nice ingredients. We stay away from processed foods and get our produce at the farmers market or grow it ourselves. We've talked about keeping chickens for fresh eggs. We like GOOD food.

And we had a great dining trip at WDW on our honeymoon. I've been going to WDW since I was an infant and the food is still just as good. The burgers have always been lousy at counter services. The scallops at Cali grill this trip were just as great as the trip 5 years ago.

You get what you pay for...

Granny Jill A
02-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Before the Dining Plan ate my vacation (pun intended), I really enjoyed trying new places to eat. I didn't have to think about it 180 days out or spend time trying to score the reservation.
(sigh)

I feel that service has REALLY suffered under the Plan, but maybe it's just my attitude.
:unsure:

Crow
02-11-2013, 01:26 PM
luckily service was good at all the places i ate at last wk pretty much. Tokyo Dining is always great, Raglan Rd was very good, Boma was pretty good service..the worst was probably Kona, she didnt seem that into it, not really bad but not as good as others.
and Pecos Bills seemed a little unorganixed, but the burger was ok.
I was afraid that when they saw i had Tables In Wonderland and knew they would get 18% tip anyway they wouldnt try, but didnt find that to b the case. in fact i left a little more than that at RR and another place.
would i go back to all the places i ate at this trip...no not right away. But it wsnt like last trip where the food wasnt that great at several places

Tigerinvestigator
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
I completely DISagree - and apparently with most people on this board. I honestly get tired of hearing how the DDP has killed Disney dining. It hasn't. The food is just as good now as it was in my first two trips. I enjoy all of the places to eat, and the snack places are still great, too.

This last trip, I loved Le Cellier, LTT, Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's, Tony's, Akershus (always great), H&V (continues to improve), Sassagoula, and the Tusker House. The only place that wasn't great was SciFi Diner, and that place wasn't good 10 years ago on my first trip, so no change there. And I found the Disneyland comment laughable. WDW has FAR better choices of food than Anaheim. FAR!!

I agree with Gator. Don't understand the whole quality of food has deteriorated argument. We love eating at WDW and the experiences are still fantastic. :thumbsup:

mechanic
02-11-2013, 05:42 PM
I've always been satisfied with the foods. What it may lack in taste is usually made up for by theme. I always try to remember " its not fine dining, it's theme park food priced like fine dining". Most of the restaurants wouldn't make it a year in the real world. We enjoy them for what and where they are.

1DisneyNut
02-11-2013, 07:08 PM
I've always been satisfied with the foods. What it may lack in taste is usually made up for by theme. I always try to remember " its not fine dining, it's theme park food priced like fine dining". Most of the restaurants wouldn't make it a year in the real world. We enjoy them for what and where they are.

You have a good point, the food isn't up to par but the theming usually helps. I agree that most of the restaurants would never make it outside. We have local restaurants that offer the same food as many of WDW's restaurants that are far superior and at around 40% lower prices. It really doesn't matter much to me though, I don't go to WDW to eat....I can do that anywhere.

Crow
02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
the theme plays a big part too..San Angel is one of the best themes, but the food was also good this time.

Airblue1
02-13-2013, 01:11 PM
For the price yes. When you are selling a standard breakfast buffet with tip for between 66-76 American dollars and the fare is standard. Then yes dining is way down.
Prices are high at Disney, they are what I call stadium prices. Folks know that going in, but the past few yrs prices have gone up a little to quickly and the quality has not caught up. I feel like I am paying in advance for a free dining promo?

Pocahontas
02-13-2013, 01:37 PM
We still love Disney dining! Weplan a TS meal every evening and when making ADRs we have a very hard time narrowing the list down because we have so many favorites!

Favorites:
mine - LeCellier
DH - Narcoossee's or Artist Point
DD - Teppan Edo
All of us agree 'Ohana's #1 (mainly because of the bread pudding, but we love the food too!)

pamickeys
02-15-2013, 03:13 PM
As you can see we've been to Disney a few times, if the plan hasn't hurt meal selection,then how can you not have lobster on the menu at Coral Reef. It used to be there.

Hammer
02-15-2013, 04:32 PM
As you can see we've been to Disney a few times, if the plan hasn't hurt meal selection,then how can you not have lobster on the menu at Coral Reef. It used to be there.

How long ago did you see whole lobster on the Coral Reef menu? I don't remember it on the menu and I ate there twice- pre and post DDP. They still have an entree with lobster as well as the lobster bisque currently.

For seafood, I prefer Narcoossee's over any other seafood restaurant at WDW, but I still have to try Bluezoo.

DizneyRox
02-15-2013, 08:15 PM
How long ago did you see whole lobster on the Coral Reef menu? I don't remember it on the menu and I ate there twice- pre and post DDP. They still have an entree with lobster as well as the lobster bisque currently.

For seafood, I prefer Narcoossee's over any other seafood restaurant at WDW, but I still have to try Bluezoo.
There was a baked stuffed lobster on the menu, I remember ordering it and sending it back for something else. That's got to be around the millennium though, it's been a while, we won't be back either.

Also missing is better cuts of steak at 1TS locations that used to have them, and I can't remember seeing a surf and turf on a menu in years (Signature is your only hope, and I'm not even sure many of them have it).

It's all a couple chicken, few steak, a veggie choice and salmon for fish. Grab a menu for a DDP participating restaurant and compare it to a non participating restaurant, it's easy to pick the DDP one by just the entree selections.

Hammer
02-16-2013, 11:00 AM
There was a baked stuffed lobster on the menu, I remember ordering it and sending it back for something else. That's got to be around the millennium though, it's been a while, we won't be back either.

That explains it, thanks. I ate there in 2004 pre-DDP and 2009 post-DDP. It was taken off long before I ate there. Proves my point, though, that the baked stuffed lobster was not removed because of DDP, it was gone before it came into existence.

Also missing is better cuts of steak at 1TS locations that used to have them, and I can't remember seeing a surf and turf on a menu in years (Signature is your only hope, and I'm not even sure many of them have it).

There are still 1TS restaurants where you can get a nice NY Strip steak, a cut of steak which you found at many restaurants outside WDW. A perusing of WDW restaurant menus show Captain's Grille, Turf Club, Kona Cafe (though that is Teriyaki style), Grand Floridian Café (which I can attest to being very tasty), Tony's Town Square, Be Our Guest, La Hacienda (which accepts DDP, but not TIW), Sci-Fi, Mama Melrose all offering a Strip steak entrée and a rib eye steak is Kouzzina. Of course, the steak is better at some restaurants than others, but the point is that you can get a decent cut of steak. I believe a cut like a filet mignon should be reserved for signature restaurants.

DizneyRox
02-16-2013, 03:25 PM
See, that's the problem with the DDP, I don't understand why I shouldn't be able to order a filet (it's not that I'm not willing to pay for it), at a decent restaurant. Not every TS location needs to serve it, but it would be nice if it was an option. It's not...

Instead of segregating the diners into those on a plan and those not, they have opted to make everyone order the same slop. Yet they continue to ask if you are on a plan or not when you arrive, which could make you think that they treat different diners differently.

I might be a steak snob too, but I don't consider strip steak a very good cut of steak. It's not something I would order if I was in the mood for steak...

Hammer
02-16-2013, 05:47 PM
My comment about filet mignon at higher end restaurants really wasn't about the DDP. Even if the DDP went away tomorrow, I would still only want filet mignon to be served at the higher end restaurants. That just me being a bit of a food snob.

We will agree to disagree about NY Strip steaks. I don't get enough flavor out of a filet mignon. DisneyRox, if you ever have the chance to have the strip steak at Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa, please try it. It might change your mind about eating a strip steak :D !

My2Sons
02-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Sadly, I agree dining has gone down. Not at every restaurant, but at several. Cape May used to be our very favorite, but this past trip it was awful. The salad bar was missing half of the salads, the food was sub-par, the clams were literally the size of a dime (not kidding!) and the waitress was either having a bad day or was simply not good at her job. She was friendly enough, but she hardly ever came back to the table. On top of that, there was a horrible odor in the part of the restaurant we were sitting in. It was a very unpleasant experience. :(

On the bright side, we discovered the Maya Grill, which was great, and we had a fantastic waiter. Also, 'Ohana, one of our other favorites, was great (although we were there for breakfast - not dinner).

Our first trip to WDW, about 7 years ago, we were VERY impressed with the dining. Now I'd say it's just average. However, while reading these posts I learned of several restaurants we've never tried, so perhaps we'll try some new ones.

SurferStitch
02-18-2013, 12:29 PM
I think the quality and selection at WDW are actually very good.

We had amazing meals at Narcoossee's, Flying Fish, 'Ohana, Biergarten, Fulton's, The Plaza Restaurant and Crystal Palace. The QS options and quality at Columbia Harbor House are fantastic. They have delicious fried shrimp and lobster rolls. We also love Sunshine Seasons at the Land, and Flame Tree BBQ in AK. Great food, plenty of selections, and top quality.

Yes, some of the park restaurants have gotten to be similar in what they offer, but quality is just as high as ever.

pamickeys
02-18-2013, 12:52 PM
We do not do DDP anymore. I will pay for a good meal, that's why we go to Shula's alot, and Yachtmans. My point is exactly that, why can't the park resturants have a seperate menu that is not available to those on the DDP, you would have to pay OOP. it might get us back for dinner reses, instead of just eating lunch in the parks.

BuffaloJason
02-18-2013, 08:13 PM
I actually still really enjoy most of the dinning options in WDW, both table and counter service. However, I agree with all the contempt for DDP, for a totally different reason: so many people buy it who either don't understand or won't accept the rules associated with using it. I feel like every restaurant we dined at I got stuck behind someone who wanted to argue with the cashier about what a snack credit was good for or why they couldn't have a particular side or dessert that they wanted but wasn't included. Argh! It drives me nuts and I just can't fathom why anyone wants to deal with that on their vacation. That and the fact that I run the numbers every time and its such a horrible deal financially that the logical engineer type in me can't come to terms with the fact that so many people buy it.

OK rant over. Just MHO of course. :mickey: