PDA

View Full Version : Flower and Wine Info Starting to "Spring" Up

VWL Mom
01-23-2013, 06:49 PM
From today's Orlando Sentinel
By Dewayne Bevil

Did someone say "Dole Whip with Spiced Rum"?

That jumps out on the list of food and drink that will be among the first offered at Garden Marketplaces at the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival, which runs from March 6 to May 19.

It's the 20th version of the event and the first time that edibles will get co-star status with the greenery a la the Epcot Food & Wine Festival, which begins in September.

World Showcase will be dotted with about a dozen eateries, such as Smokehouse Barbecue and Brew at American Adventure, Primavera Kitchen in the Italy pavilion, Hanami at Japan and Florida Fresh at the World Showcase Promenade.

Announced menu items include shrimp with grits; Zellwood corn; angel food cake with macerated Florida berries; watermelon salad with pickled red onions, baby arugula, feta cheese and balsamic reduction; and sweet "frushi" made with fresh fruits and coconut rice.

Other notable festival features:

•Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto, Donald and Daisy topiaries in backyard cookout mode will be installed in the front entrance bed. Mickey will man the grill while Goofy balances an anniversary cake.

•Mike and Sully from "Monsters, Inc." will get topiary treatment on the Future World Walkway.

•After sunset, the park will be augmented with new lighting in the gardens and topiaries.

•Nonalcoholic drinks will include chilled rose blush lemonade and strawberry slush.

•A new "Land of Oz" play area on Imagination Walkway will include a floral motif, midway-style games, circus tents and other muscle-stretching activities. The attraction is tied to the Disney film "Oz: The Great and Powerful," which debuts March 8.

Looks like I may get there for a few hours this year, first time ever. I'm really looking forward to it.

DreamFinder2
01-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Very cool. We'll be there for a week in March, and really looking forward to the pseudo-food-and-wine-festival that will be going on. We've always wanted to get down there in the fall, but can't make it happen.

Thanks for the update!

c&d
01-24-2013, 09:24 AM
I like the idea of adding food to the flower festival. :thumbsup:

MOJoe
01-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the info. My wife and i will be in WDW for a convention the first week of March. I am adding one extra day to our trip so we can attend the F&GF. It's just us. No kids. With one day to do what we want. :cloud9:
Hope to catch a FP concert that Friday, and maybe see Wishes and Illuminations the same evening.

DVC2004
01-24-2013, 01:58 PM
This is a nice idea! :mickey:

RavsRuleDisney!
01-24-2013, 03:04 PM
thanks for the heads up - will be there end of March :thumbsup: so will have to investigate further....

DisneyorBust
01-24-2013, 05:13 PM
DW and I enjoyed the Food and Wine festival this past November and now that Disney is adding food markets to the Flower and Garden festival I am really looking forward to our trip in March. Sampling our way thru the World Showcase is one of our favorite things to enjoy in all of WDW.

wildernesslady
01-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Do you think there is a chance of a soft opening on March 5. We are doing a 8 night cruise on the Magic and the 5th is our Disney day.

TheVBs
01-26-2013, 08:42 AM
Very cool! :mickey: We're hoping to go in May 2014 and would love to see food booths during the F&GF.

emerzmom
01-26-2013, 09:01 PM
We will be there the first week in March. I love that they have added food to the Flower and Garden Fest. Dole Whip with spiced rum...count me in!
:tink:
Julie