PDA

View Full Version : Epcot

nfrustaci
01-21-2013, 03:04 PM
We are going to disney the last week in feb. Since our son is 4 and has had multipule trips including inside the womb (lol). last year was the 1st time we took him to Epcot and he enjoyed the countries to my surprise. So I was thinking this trip we would get him the passport book and let him do the stamp and kid activity. My husband and I did this on our very first trip back in 2000 together and I enjoyed it, talking with the cast members from all around the world. we did not participate in the craft making since we thought we were too old for this but was wondering if anyone with a little one has ? thanks peeps

Janmac
01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
To my recollection we have not done the passport. We did the mask activity at the countries when our granddaughter was 9. We generally go to Epcot every evening for supper and usually visit a country or two on either side of where we're eating. Our granddaughter remembered to bring her mask every night and visited every country. Since she was nine, she did a very good job - it's beautiful - and had a great time chatting with the CMs.

My sister's granddaughter attempted to do this activity the trip she was 5 1/2. We - her other grandmother (not my sister) and I - one afternoon went around to the countries with her and after about 3 countries she was tired and not enjoying it much at all. We did bring her mask a couple of other nights and she got a few other countries. I don't think she really understood what was going on with different countries, her name being written in different languages, etc. And I think the other grandmother, while having a good time with her granddaughter, was ready to move on to something more interesting to an adult.

On our last trip, when she was 7, she took the bear around to most of the countries, on the evenings we were at Epcot. She didn't complete the bear, but her coloring was better than scribbling this time and she seemed more involved with the concept.

Bottom line: this is a time consuming activity if you have an idea that every country needs to be represented. I saw lots of pre-school kids who were merely scribbling, which is fun for kids, for sure, but perhaps not what the adults might want to do at Epcot. The masks were somewhat large for hauling around and packing to go home with.

My sister's granddaughter loved stickers and might have enjoyed the quicker Passport activity, rather than the [at the time] mask.

Jan

Janmac
01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Just remembered something I read somewhere about touring the Epcot countries. The parents had their kids pick out an inexpensive snack at each country, an activity they found to be entertaining and educational.

Jan

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-21-2013, 09:00 PM
DD has always loved the Kidcot stops around Epcot. The CM's are friendly and fun to talk to, and the kids can choose to do as much or as little at each stop. At the stops where she was totally into it, DH and I took turns looking around the country in more detail, DH would get a beer, etc. It was great to spend more time in each country than we normally would have.

We didn't do the passport until DD was older, when she was younger, she was happy just colouring and getting the stamps on the mask/bear.

But, the passport is fun, and it is a cheap way to have a cool keepsake.

Kairi_7378
01-21-2013, 10:14 PM
We haven't done the passport or Kidcot activities with our son (now 4.) Like you, we were pleasantly surprised at how much he loved Epcot when we took him for his 3rd birthday. I didn't want to get into a trap of doing an activity in every country, so instead, we picked a few countries and purchased a snack to share. We have found that he really identified with the country/ culture through its food. While we haven't gone out of our way to see all of the performers, we made sure to stop at a few so he could see those as well.

Mickey'sGirl
01-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Epcot is by far our favourite park (and has been since the kids were little) ... In the spring I found a passport that I had bought years ago, and our 8 year old son spent time this summer going around getting it stamped and signed, and he also did the KidCot Duffy Bear (where each country drew a flag and a comment on the stick). We all really enjoyed being part of the interactions, and he had so much fun meeting and talking to people from other places. It is such a terrific way to "see" the park.

Roger's #1 Fan
01-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Now that all of our kids are +10 we can now enjoy World Showcase and they actually are interested in visiting all the countries. Last year my DD (10) did the Duffy Bear activity and also some of the kids activities in several of the countries. In earlier visits none of our kids were really interested. It also helped that Mulan, Snow White, B&B, Marie, Alice, and Mary Poppins were out as well.

Hopefully we will get back this year to do even more in this area! :mickey:

ANG
01-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Just remembered something I read somewhere about touring the Epcot countries. The parents had their kids pick out an inexpensive snack at each country, an activity they found to be entertaining and educational.

Jan

Great idea!

When we went with my brother, he enjoyed getting an autograph from someone in each country. When it applied, they wrote something in their native language.

JerseyDad
01-22-2013, 11:24 AM
.....I'm always amazed at how so many people are skeptical that their kids will like Epcot.

.....our kids have always expressed how Epcot, and in particular, the World Showcase ...was their favorite park. It remains so to this day...

...from the Kidcot activities, to the different foods, to just meeting and talking to people from other countries ....my youngest daughter (she was 8 yrs old 1st WDW trip and going to be 17 this yr) is always looking forward to Epcot.

....I always have to grumble, albeit inside of myself, when I hear a parent say, "Oh, we don't want to go to Epcot...it's too educational". I just don't get it? Where else can you take a kid (or yourself), where you can expose to / immerse them in so many cultures in so short a time....and have a blast while doing it?